Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 460234 times)

Offline Vincent

• Regular Contributor
  • May or may not be a Tektronix fanboy
    • The Vince Electric Laboratory
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #3900 on: December 20, 2023, 02:08:24 am »
People who can't, and especially don't want to, figure out how a freaking reverse vending machine works.

Y'know, the kind that just throws the can in the opening repeatedly despite the display showing "Do not throw container". Machine spits out the can, rinse and repeat. Eventually one of the cans lands at a dead angle against the door, then machine blocks. For the fourth time.  |O

You would expect professional soda can pickers to operate these machines like freaking pros, but nope.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3901 on: December 20, 2023, 08:36:50 am »
Don't know what a reverse vending machine is, but the problem sounds a lot like what's around this house: the persons are expected to conform to how the machine works rather than vice versa. So, for instance, if the door doesn't latch unless one slowly and carefully turns the handle as it's closed then surely the door needs fixing rather than having the person trained to be slow and more careful.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3902 on: December 20, 2023, 07:13:55 pm »
My guess is he revers to the machines you can put your empty soda or beer cans in to get your deposit back. There have been problems with these kind of machines in the Netherlands where they stop working due to contamination by the remaining liquids in the cans.

I have my doubts by putting any confidence in the "professional soda can pickers" to do things properly though  :-DD

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3903 on: December 20, 2023, 10:38:40 pm »
Ah, thanks. I reckon they'd need to refund more or less the cost of the contents to get people doing that around here :)

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3904 on: December 20, 2023, 10:54:20 pm »
I reckon they'd need to refund more or less the cost of the contents to get people doing that around here
worked ok 40 years back, finding an empty bottle with a deposit was like finding treasure.

Offline EPAIII

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3905 on: December 23, 2023, 11:09:29 am »
My pet peeve!

My electronic pet peeve!

People who draw schematics with the signal flow in all directions. Signal flow should be left to right first and then top to bottom. The entire idea of a schematic is to make the functioning of the circuit EASY to comprehend. Otherwise you might as well just take a photograph of the rat's nest of wires or connections.

That's my electronic pet peeve!
Paul A.  -   SE Texas
And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
You will find that it has discrete steps.

The following users thanked this post: schmitt trigger

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #3906 on: December 23, 2023, 01:02:42 pm »
My pet peeve!

My electronic pet peeve!

People who draw schematics with the signal flow in all directions. Signal flow should be left to right first and then top to bottom. The entire idea of a schematic is to make the functioning of the circuit EASY to comprehend. Otherwise you might as well just take a photograph of the rat's nest of wires or connections.

That's my electronic pet peeve!
the Chinese do it in reverse. :popcorn:
right from the bottom up, at 5% of the cost
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3907 on: December 23, 2023, 03:37:58 pm »
The KiCad crowd loves doing it different way. No more left to right or top to bottom. In fact no more wire connections. Just drop component symbols randomly on a sheet and terminate with ports.
How anyone would follow signal flow in such garbage I do not know.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: srb1954

Offline Zeyneb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3908 on: December 24, 2023, 01:31:42 am »
The KiCad crowd loves doing it different way. No more left to right or top to bottom. In fact no more wire connections. Just drop component symbols randomly on a sheet and terminate with ports.
How anyone would follow signal flow in such garbage I do not know.

There are also different kinds of circuits. For opamp stages for example it make much sense to have signal flow from left to right. But when you have a schematic with a big FPGA on it. You might want to split it in many blocks. And make connections based on net names rather than drawn wires. Then with PCB layout you might want to change the order of many connections and change the FPGA signal to pin order accordingly.
goto considered awesome!

Offline nonlinearschool

• Contributor
  • Electrons evade me...
« Reply #3909 on: December 24, 2023, 07:23:35 am »

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 02:22:00 pm »

And back in the 1960s the general public would often call a portable radio a transistor.  |O

No, NO,
Portable radio was not called that.  They called them Transistor Radios Because they were the first have transistors which allowed them to be portable hand-held size.  Context, history my friend
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 09:12:35 am by nonlinearschool »

Offline kjpye

• Contributor
« Reply #3910 on: December 24, 2023, 10:19:29 am »
And back in the 1960s the general public would often call a portable radio a transistor.  |O

No, NO,
Portable radio was not called that.  They called them Transistor Radios Because they were the first have transistors which allowed them to be portable hand-held size.  Context, history my friend

And which the general public called "transistors", at least here in Australia.

As you say, history.

The following users thanked this post: Circlotron, 2N3055, RJSV, nonlinearschool

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3911 on: December 24, 2023, 12:12:38 pm »
And which the general public called "transistors", at least here in Australia.
+1 here.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3913 on: December 24, 2023, 01:02:38 pm »
From day one they were called Transistor Radios here in the US. It seems kind of odd that anybody would call them something else.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3914 on: December 24, 2023, 03:28:11 pm »
'Transistor radio' is too long and unwieldy when speaking informally, particularly when the 'radio' part, as already mentioned, was superfluous. It's why 'hoover' took off as a synonym for 'vacuum cleaner', 'IBM Personal Computer' (or even just 'personal computer') is and always has been a 'PC', etc.

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3915 on: December 24, 2023, 10:37:50 pm »
   Three minutes of ADVERTISEMENTS, before I can figure out, if I've found the correct video...
This time YouTube has done a 'take down' of some copyrighted material (likely reason, I've guessed).  Video has the '!' symbol signifying that it got taken down by yt.
   Any technological reason, they can't notify upfront, rather than a user experience that breeds contempt and begs for mis-trust.
Swell, then....teach your kids. (That's my snark, sorrrry).

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3916 on: December 24, 2023, 10:39:07 pm »

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 02:22:00 pm »

Say Thanks

No, NO,

Maybe in the USA, but in Australia, calling them a "transistor" was annoyingly common.
In a similar manner, people in the UK commonly called a "motor car" a "motor" when I first visited there in 1971.

Meanwhile people in the USA referred to"automobiles"as "autos".

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3917 on: December 24, 2023, 10:50:05 pm »
One of my pet peeves is the way people confuse the words "purposely" & "purposefully" when they mean quite different things.
"Purposely" means "intentionally", whereas "Purposefully" has a meaning similar to "resolutely."

If this was only something done by ordinary members of the public, it would be bad enough, but journalists & public figures who should know better do it as well.

Offline lezginka_kabardinka

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3918 on: December 24, 2023, 11:30:24 pm »
One of my pet peeves is the way people confuse the words "purposely" & "purposefully" when they mean quite different things.
"Purposely" means "intentionally", whereas "Purposefully" has a meaning similar to "resolutely."

If this was only something done by ordinary members of the public, it would be bad enough, but journalists & public figures who should know better do it as well.
[/quote

How about people on YouTube who "review" ( :-DD ) phones ALL day EVERY day, and yet don't know to say "Milliamp HOURS", and say "Milliamps" ...  :palm:

Offline nonlinearschool

• Contributor
  • Electrons evade me...
« Reply #3919 on: December 25, 2023, 09:03:35 am »
Interesting.

I always heard "transistor radio" that that is what I was always told here in the US. (New York, Chicago, and Oakland.) now wonder about other parts of the world.
using "handheld radio" was used, but I never heard just "transistor" 

Offline nonlinearschool

• Contributor
  • Electrons evade me...
« Reply #3920 on: December 25, 2023, 09:09:43 am »
Maybe in the USA, but in Australia, calling them a "transistor" was annoyingly common.
In a similar manner, people in the UK commonly called a "motor car" a "motor" when I first visited there in 1971.

Meanwhile people in the USA referred to"automobiles"as "autos".

LOL!! and the US German auto manuals always spoke of the "boot" repeatedly confused me!
[/quote]
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 09:13:26 am by nonlinearschool »

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3921 on: December 25, 2023, 01:53:12 pm »
And around here at least,often shortened further to tranny.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3922 on: December 25, 2023, 10:35:18 pm »
That's mostly a low class London thing. However, internationally a lot of car makers use that term, like Mitsubishi Motors being the car making division, and not one of the divisions making motors.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3923 on: December 26, 2023, 12:08:35 am »
That's mostly a low class London thing. However, internationally a lot of car makers use that term, like Mitsubishi Motors being the car making division, and not one of the divisions making motors.

I fort they said "Mo-uh!" ;)

Strictly speaking, or so I was told many years ago by an Automotive Engineer, the big cast metal thing that drinks fuel is an "engine".
The only "motors" in the automotive lexicon at the time were "electric motors".

That was probably a reaction at the time to the obsessive use of "motor" by the public at the time, & after all, he was an engineer! :D

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3924 on: December 26, 2023, 08:49:10 am »
The things under the bonnet have always been engines, AFAIK. And electric motors have always been motors. I think the distinction is that engines have moving parts whereas motors don't (other than the rotor, of course). But cars en bloc have been known as motors to chavs.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf