Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2307862 times)

Offline tablatronix

• Regular Contributor
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #3575 on: April 08, 2018, 12:39:22 am »
What kind of "pegboard" is that?

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #3576 on: April 08, 2018, 06:06:50 am »
Just a question here, how much space is necessary for a nice home lab?

Right now I live in a shared room with another guy so my lab is only one table (approx. 120cm by 50cm or so) and above it there are 2 wall mounted shelves (150x30cm). I have lots of stuff in a travel bag since I don't have anywhere to store them xD.

I run a video channel called "Thundertronics" as you can find in my signature. So for example, can I have a good lab in the garage or something? or it must be in a room? Because I record audio too so it has to be with little noise as possible. I will be moving to a separate house later on which has a garage.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3577 on: April 08, 2018, 06:09:51 am »

Right now I live in a shared room with another guy so my lab is only one table (approx. 120cm by 50cm or so) and above it there are 2 wall mounted shelves (150x30cm). I have lots of stuff in a travel bag since I don't have anywhere to store them xD.

I run a video channel called "Thundertronics" as you can find in my signature. So for example, can I have a good lab in the garage or something? or it must be in a room? Because I record audio too so it has to be with little noise as possible. I will be moving to a separate house later on which has a garage.
I'd say you need about a square meter more than whatever it is you currently have. ;D No matter how much room you have, you always seem to run out too quickly. Then again, I've seen people do amazing things even though they have almost no space.

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #3578 on: April 08, 2018, 06:14:16 am »

I'd say you need about a square meter more than whatever it is you currently have. ;D No matter how much room you have, you always seem to run out too quickly. Then again, I've seen people do amazing things even though they have almost no space.

The garage is supposed to include a mini home gym (1 bench machine with 1 blacksmith or something)... So dunno if it is gonna be enough.

What if I want to make a 2 table lab (back to back) like what eevblog used to be?? in order to shoot videos with my shelves at my back.

I wonder if there are ways to make somehow a room in there? woods and glass maybe? because it will be dusty with poor lighting.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3579 on: April 08, 2018, 08:45:08 am »

The garage is supposed to include a mini home gym (1 bench machine with 1 blacksmith or something)... So dunno if it is gonna be enough.

What if I want to make a 2 table lab (back to back) like what eevblog used to be?? in order to shoot videos with my shelves at my back.

I wonder if there are ways to make somehow a room in there? woods and glass maybe? because it will be dusty with poor lighting.
FWIW, the specifics will matter (room size, amount of wall space, ...).

Wish I could be more specific, but it's genuinely impossible to make any realistic recommendations based on zero specifics (i.e. room dimensions, what you need/plan to do in the near future with the bench <bench requirements>, and whatever else that room/space must accommodate).

FWIW, Dave Jones and others have (or made) sufficient space to accommodate large benches (i.e. multiple tables/benches in a single room, ... what have you...). In my case for example, I've a couple of benches that add up to a bit over 10 ft/3.3m end-to-end. Of course this wouldn't be possible if I didn't have a wall that was long enough of course.

FWIW, shelves, drawers, and what-not can allow you to keep a bunch of stuff off of the table surface/s IME. Really helps if you have or can make the space for such things.

In my case, I have wire racks in unusual places, such as closets or beneath the table/bench surfaces. I also have drawer units mounted directly beneath the table surfaces, as well as peg board to keep tools and such off of the bench/table surfaces as much as possible.*

* Doesn't mean the table/bench surfaces don't look like they've been hit by a Tornado though; just less so without other places to put tools and such.  >:D

Offline Edison

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3580 on: April 08, 2018, 09:47:59 am »
My desk is 160x60 and the net work area is 80x45 
Everything works as the weakest link in the chain

Offline JohnMc

• Contributor
« Reply #3581 on: April 08, 2018, 11:10:21 am »

Very true. I also have seen people make unbelievable use of tiny spaces.  For another one of my hobbies I have seen someone setup a fully functional work space in a closet 1Msq.   

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #3582 on: April 08, 2018, 12:31:52 pm »

Very true. I also have seen people make unbelievable use of tiny spaces.  For another one of my hobbies I have seen someone setup a fully functional work space in a closet 1Msq.

But that very small space is not good for shooting videos and so on as I am doing now. So I guess the best plan is to dedicate a whole room in a house for this. The problem is that my house is going to be only one spare room (aside from master bedroom) which is the company policy. When I have a kid, either me or him out! and I am a proud Saiyan prince!!

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #3583 on: April 08, 2018, 01:41:19 pm »
As others have said, there are too many variables.  For a workbench, space is the inverse of time.  It takes time to stay neat, organized, and to plan ahead.  At work, I have access to entire rooms filled with available workstations.  At home, I have a tiny workbench, and I make do.

Regarding space to film, I say that's also the same.  There are many youtubers that use one tiny area for all their filming and with proper editing (which takes time) it works out well.  On the other hand, I've seen some with giant work areas and equipment spread out all over.  They end up just swinging the camera around and wasting time re-focusing, etc.  It's very distracting.  It would have been more effective to condense the stage and properly edit the video. 

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3584 on: April 08, 2018, 03:43:23 pm »
The first 10 years of my electronics hobby took place on a tabletop that was about 2' x 4' (not much more than 1/2 square meter) with two small shelves above it. The amount of space you need probably will depend mostly on what you want to work on.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #3585 on: April 08, 2018, 05:28:38 pm »
I will be moving to a separate house later on which has a garage.

Dave started in a corner of his garage.  Check out his first videos for a sample of what can be done in a small space.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3586 on: April 08, 2018, 06:06:08 pm »
Dave started in a corner of his garage.  Check out his first videos for a sample of what can be done in a small space.

Or see what https://www.youtube.com/user/bigclivedotcom and https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDefpom are doing on a very small space.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3587 on: April 08, 2018, 06:50:07 pm »
This is not where I spent my first 10 years as an electronics hobbyist. That bench was in an even smaller closet. Unfortunately I have no photos of it.

Offline Edison

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3588 on: April 08, 2018, 07:52:28 pm »
When i was he lived with my mom,  had to work the whole room and in the cellar an old plumbing workshop (there i was building motorbikes).
When  moved to after wedding own  i also worked in the closet 100x50. Unfortunately i have no photos. :--
Everything works as the weakest link in the chain

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #3589 on: April 08, 2018, 09:40:04 pm »
you speak about a lab in a closet or so... but in which room is it in? don't tell me it is in bedroom!

My idea is to use a space in the garage for doing so, and I guess it will be enough. However, what if I want to make a confined or closed room in it? Is it possible to put some glass walls or so? this is to keep it warm and isolated from outside as well as the noise stuff.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3590 on: April 08, 2018, 10:03:38 pm »
Mine is actually a hallway closet. The hall connects living room, bedroom and bathroom.

For your construction project, is there any place that sells building products near you? If so, look for rigid foam insulation board, it's useful for many things.

I buy this kind at Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/R-Tech-1-2-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-R-1-93-Insulating-Sheathing-320810/202533656

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3591 on: April 08, 2018, 10:07:13 pm »
What kind of "pegboard" is that?
I think its some kind of universal tool holder. From Lidl as I remember.
Plastic "pegboard" and some different clips and hooks.

Offline mdijkens

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3592 on: April 08, 2018, 10:08:32 pm »
My workbench is called the kitchentable by the rest of the family
I have everything in drawers in a cabinet in the livingroom

So I always have to setup the things I need when I start and have to store everything away when I stop or when we have dinner  :(

Offline ferdieCX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3593 on: April 09, 2018, 07:48:00 am »

When I was a student, it was the same for me.  :-DD
It started to change when I married and left my parents home.

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #3594 on: April 09, 2018, 08:30:32 am »
I have everything in drawers in a cabinet in the livingroom

So I always have to setup the things I need when I start and have to store everything away when I stop or when we have dinner  :(

The wife lets you keep "untidy rubbish" in the living room? what about guests and so on?

When I was a student, it was the same for me.  :-DD
It started to change when I married and left my parents home.

You mean when you have a shared room? then it is like my condition.

So now in your own house with your waifu, where is your lab? how big? pictures are nice.

Offline ferdieCX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3595 on: April 09, 2018, 11:11:48 am »
I shared the room with my brother, there was place only for our beds and a small desk.
After getting married and leaving my parent's house, I have put a desk in our bedroom. I could work using the bed as a chair.
My wife is incredible patiently.
Now, I have my workbench in a spare room. It measures 113 x 66 cm and the shelf is 30 cm deep.
You will find a picture of it in the page [123] of this thread

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #3596 on: April 09, 2018, 11:29:28 am »
I shared the room with my brother, there was place only for our beds and a small desk.
After getting married and leaving my parent's house, I have put a desk in our bedroom. I could work using the bed as a chair.
My wife is incredible patiently.
Now, I have my workbench in a spare room. It measures 113 x 66 cm and the shelf is 30 cm deep.
You will find a picture of it in the page [123] of this thread

The lesson here is to invest in a good wife before investing in electronics!

So that spare room of yours, is it only for the lab? I know myself, I cannot have a shared thing with anyone so I have got to make my lab in a separate area. Looks like the final solution is using the garage which looks like 60-70 squared meters or so according to those who saw it, let it be 50 and still good enough.

I plan something like 4m by 3m area confined in a glass walls (are they called like this?) to eliminate noise and dirt...etc. I wonder if someone here made something similar.

Offline ferdieCX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3597 on: April 09, 2018, 11:43:38 am »
In the spare room there are: my workbench, a desk with the computer, our bookcase, some closed shelves and my wardrobe (the one of my wife is in the bedroom).
Marrying her was the best thing I have done in my life  ^-^
Look the whole thread, there are very interesting pictures of different labs there.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 11:56:44 am by ferdieCX »

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #3598 on: April 09, 2018, 12:15:27 pm »
In the spare room there are: my workbench, a desk with the computer, our bookcase, some closed shelves and my wardrobe (the one of my wife is in the bedroom).
Marrying her was the best thing I have done in my life  ^-^
Look the whole thread, there are very interesting pictures of different labs there.

One idea could be instead of glass walls which are expensive, I could make fiber glass ones which are a lot cheaper and portable. how much your lab's area? I plan to make my future one 4mx3m but if I couldn't then I make it 3mx2m or so. I need benches from 2 sides to do video shooting and so on.

Offline ferdieCX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3599 on: April 09, 2018, 01:29:23 pm »
The room itself has the shape of a fat "L".
The main part is about  4 x 2,5 m and the small part is 1,7 x  1,3 m.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf