Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2307587 times)

TizianoHV and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #2000 on: May 25, 2016, 11:23:53 pm »
here is my main bench in its natural state. To the right (not shown) are a binocular for smd work and a high magnification microscope.
I forsee a major problem ahead for you - where are you going to put your next acquired piece of test gear? |O

New lab required?  :-DD

The place is much bigger than the bench. Since the thread was focused on e-benches I just posted that. For example here is a pix of the high vacuum turbo and ion pumped deposition station. There is also the Canberra MCA cosmic ray telescope and the workshop (lathe, drill press, bandsaw, etc...)
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2001 on: May 26, 2016, 12:26:05 am »
Quote from: richnormand

The place is much bigger than the bench. Since the thread was focused on e-benches I just posted that. For example here is a pix of the high vacuum turbo and ion pumped deposition station. There is also the Canberra MCA cosmic ray telescope and the workshop (lathe, drill press, bandsaw, etc...)
Wow ,  I'm really impressed  (and seriously envious  :P:-+

Great setup! :clap:
Reviving my old hobby after retiring! Know so little...only one thing to do...watch Dave's videos and keep reading the forum! ;-)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2002 on: May 26, 2016, 01:29:00 am »
That paperclips thing for tidying cables is a good idea. I'm going to steal that.

Binder clips are excellent for cable management and come in a variety of sizes. In addition to using them as Rich did, if you want your cables to be able to extend and retract, but not drop onto the floor, run one (or a couple) through one or both handles (they come off easily), then clip within convenient reach. No snags, no sharp edges. Add some ferrite cores or other weight to the cables to make them auto-retract. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #2003 on: May 26, 2016, 10:15:57 am »
What do you use the ion deposition system for? (Apart from the obvious depositing ions-  HiHi)   seriously nice setup+++.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #2004 on: May 26, 2016, 03:06:19 pm »
What do you use the ion deposition system for? (Apart from the obvious depositing ions-  HiHi)   seriously nice setup+++.

The ion pump is to keep the system around 10^-7 torr in between uses. Main pump is a small Pfeiffer TPH062 turbo from ebay. System has been used several times to evacuate my EG&G 1412 OMAVision cooled ccd detector on my spectrometer (LED and diode laser work)  as well as to work on the various Photometrics vacuum CCDs that I have from ebay to use on the telescope. Also for deposition of thin metallic coatings and such. The system is quite versatile and can be put in many configurations. Also has electrical feedthroughs, window and internal water cooling. The RGA has an electron multiplier and leak detection mode.

Present layout in the photo was someone who recently asked me if I could see and get an RGA spectrum of leakage from an integrated circuit package. It worked OK to identify the gases but I could not really quantify the leakage rate to the precision she wanted.

I am presently getting the bits and pieces needed for making a small homemade scanning electron microscope attached to the pumping station, but that is long term. :)
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #2005 on: May 26, 2016, 09:34:05 pm »
here is my main bench in its natural state. To the right (not shown) are a binocular for smd work and a high magnification microscope.

Nice! HP 1630x logic analyzer, a good assortment of Tek 7000 series gear including a rackmount one, a Tek TM500 frame, composite video monitor, LCD screens that aren't widescreen format, Fluke 8020A(?), old tower PC case with missing cover...
I like it.

That paperclips thing for tidying cables is a good idea. I'm going to steal that.
What are they clipped to? Is that some kind of aluminium extrusion, fixed to the shelf edge?

The shelves are a sort of flat U shape of heavy gauge sheet metal. Very sturdy and the clips are perfect to grip on that and move around when a different cabling layout is needed....
 crude but effective. Also not shown on the right and back are two microscopes, a Tek576 curve tracer, Tek 2465DMS, Sony/Tek 305Dmm and Tek 545A in addition to the Canberra multichannel analyzer and a Spex double spectrometer. All in perfect working condition.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 09:35:59 pm by richnormand »

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #2006 on: May 26, 2016, 11:53:01 pm »

Nice! HP 1630x logic analyzer, a good assortment of Tek 7000 series gear including a rackmount one, a Tek TM500 frame, composite video monitor, LCD screens that aren't widescreen format, Fluke 8020A(?), old tower PC case with missing cover...
I like it.

What are they clipped to? Is that some kind of aluminium extrusion, fixed to the shelf edge?

The shelves are a sort of flat U shape of heavy gauge sheet metal. Very sturdy and the clips are perfect to grip on that and move around when a different cabling layout is needed....
 crude but effective. Also not shown on the right and back are two microscopes, a Tek576 curve tracer, Tek 2465DMS, Sony/Tek 305Dmm and Tek 545A in addition to the Canberra multichannel analyzer and a Spex double spectrometer. All in perfect working condition.
I have to find a dry rag to wipe the drool off my chin, neck and lap.
NICE.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #2007 on: May 27, 2016, 12:47:13 am »
Why does everyone leave such a small bench surface for actually working? Most of the benches I've seen couldn't accommodate a decent size audio amplifier, let alone a large piece of equipment.
Perhaps everyone just works on tiny little smd boards!

That's my problem, I live in a modest closet but I'd like to repair my RT-909: ain't gonna happen. My bench is shared with the computer, I have maybe a square foot at best for electronics.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2008 on: May 28, 2016, 04:18:54 pm »
I see a Keithley 181 , Ithaco filter, and a 1201 preamp ;D
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #2009 on: May 28, 2016, 08:16:16 pm »
I see a Keithley 181 , Ithaco filter, and a 1201 preamp ;D

You are looking at the stuff grouped for audio work in the middle: HP332A distortion analyzer, Ithaco 1201 low noise preamp and 4123 electronic filter, PAR 113 and EGG 115 preamps and to the left an old Phillips GM2317 audio signal generator. Of all the bunch of signal source I have in the audio range the Phiilips is the lowest distortion one. Not bad for a vacuum tube unit! Below is a Tek sampling scope.

Most of the keithleys are on the right hand side and include electrometer, current and voltage, thermocouple and scanners, etc... Most are operated via GPIB with the old computer under the bench when I need to automate a measurement.

Offline willb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2010 on: June 04, 2016, 12:15:28 pm »
I need more space :(
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 12:19:40 pm by willb »

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #2011 on: June 04, 2016, 12:48:31 pm »

You need more stickers.  8)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #2012 on: June 04, 2016, 01:39:29 pm »
Yah I think you Do ....
Sue AF6LJ

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #2013 on: June 04, 2016, 02:31:40 pm »

Nice, but you need to NOT co-site a bench grinder and electronics. These are 'different room' things.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #2014 on: June 04, 2016, 07:30:33 pm »

You and me both!!

Nice collection-o-test gear you have there!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2015 on: June 05, 2016, 01:01:32 am »

Nice, but you need to NOT co-site a bench grinder and electronics. These are 'different room' things.

I agree - the workshop is a dusty, messy place and should be separate from the lab.  :--

Of course, it all depends on whether you have the available space to do it.  :-//
Reviving my old hobby after retiring! Know so little...only one thing to do...watch Dave's videos and keep reading the forum! ;-)

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #2016 on: June 05, 2016, 03:33:53 am »

What I do like in your work area are the old Teks. Here is my 545A, that I got in the mid 70s. Still works like a factory new with about 8 or 9 plug-ins (some had A.V. Roe company stickers on them. Perhaps they saw the Arrow) , including a calibration one with a reed mercury switch for risetime adjustment after changing the array of tubes in the vertical amplifier. It will most likely outlive me!

Yep, although just like you, the house second fridge is sitting next to my bench.  Well, its not that bad actually. Its a just short stretch for a cold beer.....

« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 03:43:13 am by richnormand »

Offline Soraen

« Reply #2017 on: June 05, 2016, 10:58:19 pm »
Hey Guys! New member here, thought I'd show y'all my workstation! It's a computer I built when I was in University, circa 2008. It's evolved over the years, so I'm not exactly sure what the specs are, but they aren't impressive. The CPU is a 3.2 GHz Quad-Core... just plain slow when you can get a 4.7 GHz 8-core monster for ~$230.  :palm:

As for the pictures, sorry they are slightly blurry I shot them with my Cannikon and it has an f-stop of 1.2, and I didn't stop it down that much. There wasn't much light, and I tried not to use flash, as I just don't like the way it looks, but maybe I should have. Oh well.

Cheers all!
Soraen

P.S. After much try, I have compressed the crap out of the pics because of the files size limit and I may have to post twice or thrice :-// :palm:

Offline Soraen

Second set GRRRR
« Reply #2018 on: June 05, 2016, 11:02:36 pm »
Here are the second set maybe if it will let me post them |O :-// :palm:

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2019 on: June 05, 2016, 11:06:55 pm »
P.S. After much try, I have compressed the crap out of the pics because of the files size limit and I may have to post twice or thrice :-// :palm:
Welcome to the forum.

Good try on pic compression but you can go even further.
2 main reasons; easier on Daves sever storage and faster to load for those on poor internet connections that want to view pics.
However when fine detail is needed ~500kb is normally large enough.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2020 on: June 05, 2016, 11:10:36 pm »
@Sorean: if I where you I'd try to be less messy and think about a storage system for tools, components and equipment. It is a lot more fun to work on a project when you can grab things from a fixed/designated place.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Soraen

« Reply #2021 on: June 05, 2016, 11:48:48 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Good try on pic compression but you can go even further.
2 main reasons; easier on Daves sever storage and faster to load for those on poor internet connections that want to view pics.
However when fine detail is needed ~500kb is normally large enough.

Thanks! Ah, darn! I should have compressed it to maximum compression! I was thinking approx. 500kB was good enough (down from 5 MB), but I stand corrected! |O :palm: :-+
I wonder what it would have looked like then.... Ah, for next time!

@nctnico: It takes all sorts; I find that having to worry about keeping a 'clean' workspace does not add to the fun I get from electronics. The way my brain works, it's much more of an 'organized chaos'. And this is nothing compared to the labs of the researchers at my old university. Holy cow! I think they always just acquired more of what they needed rather than search for it. But thanks for the kindly suggestion!
(Pssst, and I think you meant "If I were you...")

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #2022 on: June 06, 2016, 03:29:07 am »
Ah, darn! I should have compressed it to maximum compression! I was thinking approx. 500kB was good enough (down from 5 MB), but I stand corrected! |O :palm: :-+
I wonder what it would have looked like then.... Ah, for next time!

Another way to get the file size down, is simply to scale the images to a smaller pixel XY size. You are posting images at the native size of your camera (4752x3168) and only using jpeg compression. But how large will the image be when people view it onscreen? 1000 to 1500 H pixels, typically. So why upload anything more than that?
Use irfanview or any other pic util to rescale to smaller size, and also choose an appropriate jpeg quality factor. At say 1000H, 80% jpeg quality, the file size will be less than 200K, more like 120K, depending on amount of detail. And it will look exactly the same on screen as what you uploaded.

Also, you can swap the pictures. Just edit your post and use the pic upload/delete options at the bottom.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2023 on: June 06, 2016, 03:32:49 am »
Welcome Soraen.

Well, TerraHertz beat me to posting that the fastest and cleanest way to cut down the size of your photos is to resize. Excessively compressing them introduces more and more artifacts, which kills the benefit of the higher resolution. Around 1000 pixels on the longest side is fine for general purpose "look at this" pics.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2024 on: June 06, 2016, 04:49:06 pm »
Welcome to the forum Soraen.
I will admit htat I don't mind my work bench being kind of messy, but yours is a bit messier :D.
Spec wise your pc isn't bad, but I'm entertaining myself with your pictures loading. Initially most of the colors do not load, then they do. The second set is more fun. Red is initially grey, then red.
ALSO...
found the weeb
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf