Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2816862 times)

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #2200 on: November 03, 2016, 09:28:19 am »
I got this DC millivolt reference source from Time electronics. Good for some calibration stuff. Like new.

Would love to see a tear down of that and get to know how it works.  Care to lone it to Dave?   >:D

Offline Johnny10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2201 on: November 03, 2016, 02:53:55 pm »
A HP5335A

Missing front bezel
10544 Crystal Oscillator
Works !

Loud !
Tektronix TDS7104, DMM4050, HP 3561A, HP 35665, Tek 2465A, HP8903B, DSA602A, Tek 7854, 7834, HP3457A, Tek 575, 576, 577 Curve Tracers, Datron 4000, Datron 4000A, DOS4EVER uTracer, HP5335A, EIP534B 20GHz Frequency Counter, TrueTime Rubidium, Sencore LC102, Tek TG506, TG501, SG503, HP 8568B

Offline Falkra

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2202 on: November 03, 2016, 06:14:53 pm »
I got this DC millivolt reference source from Time electronics. Good for some calibration stuff. Like new.

Would love to see a tear down of that and get to know how it works.  Care to lone it to Dave?   >:D
Hehe. ;)

The older model has a video teardown (by Sullcom on Youtube).
But those are the older models (that still work well and can be found for a decent price on ebay).

« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 06:17:23 pm by Falkra »

Offline Faith

• Supporter
« Reply #2203 on: November 06, 2016, 07:35:39 am »
Show then powered up later!!

Here we go. Still in the middle of setting everything up as I'm only just winding down from my relocation.

But I've managed to quickly get these up and running just to make sure they work.

Voltage readback is pretty accurate with no load attached.

I did test current briefly with a load and while it isn't quite as accurate it's still within claimed spec.

They're pretty quiet for most part so I'm really pleased about that (especially with the units powered on but with their outputs off).

<3 ~Faith~

The following users thanked this post: Sbampato12

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2204 on: November 07, 2016, 11:44:51 am »
They seem nice. Too bad Keysight is on my shitlist after the U127x EMC issue debacle.

Offline karoru

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2205 on: November 08, 2016, 01:20:30 am »
Now if only Chinese could copy this elegant design instead of producing n-th variation of "Zhaoxin million channel superb honorable quality PSU for 100$" hell and maybe we'd get not expensive, simple and reliable PSUs for those that don't need feature bloat of Rigol ones:)

Offline karoru

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2206 on: November 08, 2016, 01:52:04 am »
Zhaoxin in China is a shitty brand that only cellphone fixing technicians will use. No one in R&D uses that shit. So does Atten, also a shitty fixing technician's favorite brand.
It's not about who can copy the design -- anyone can, but building a knock off $500 PSU in tens of copies won't make money as quick as $100 PSU in thousands.
Good Chinese PSU brands are Rigol and Itech (BK Precision's OEM, owned by BK).
Yes I know, I didn't want to say nothing bad about China (as there are reputable brands, as you said), I was just saying that it wouldn't be too expensive to build a knock-off PSU of this Agilent (from what I remember it uses their typical topology known for years) one and it would be nice "medium price range" device, without paying "HP tax". Like Hakko knockoffs can give you nice bang per buck;)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 01:54:41 am by karoru »

The following users thanked this post: radzeck

Offline R005T3r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2207 on: November 09, 2016, 04:22:24 pm »
For 65 bucks isn't that bad... Considered it's a brand new item.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2208 on: November 09, 2016, 06:45:45 pm »
They're pretty quiet for most part so I'm really pleased about that (especially with the units powered on but with their outputs off).

Oohhh those E36100 power supplies look soooo nice and micro-Ampere current readback as well  :-+ I think I want a couple of those too!
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline 6581

• Supporter
« Reply #2209 on: November 11, 2016, 04:48:51 pm »
Bought some 0.1mm nichrome wire. Because, you know, you never know when you need some. And then you better have some handy, 'cause that'll save the day. Some stranger on the street asks if I've got 0.1mm nichrome wire and of course I do. Here, have some. And he'll be like - awesome, you saved my day! And that's why I bought some.

The following users thanked this post: Sbampato12, The Soulman, Fortran

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2210 on: November 11, 2016, 06:58:28 pm »
Bought some 0.1mm nichrome wire. Because, you know, you never know when you need some. And then you better have some handy, 'cause that'll save the day. Some stranger on the street asks if I've got 0.1mm nichrome wire and of course I do. Here, have some. And he'll be like - awesome, you saved my day! And that's why I bought some.

LOL :-DD

Offline canibalimao

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2211 on: November 11, 2016, 07:31:33 pm »

If I had 1 cent for every stranger that asked me for a 0.1mm nichrome wire...

Offline Sbampato12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2212 on: November 11, 2016, 07:36:50 pm »
:-DD :-DD

I had a math teacher, that often said something like that in the end of the classes. Something like, now, if someone stop you at the street, and ask "hey, could you help me with this matrix determinant...", you could say "Oh yes, ....." and save the day!

The stranger name always was "amigão", something like buddy or big friend....

Offline razberik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2213 on: November 11, 2016, 09:05:07 pm »
That was actually arranged as a joke. (Hidden camera ?)
Somebody asked a stranger "Sir, do you have wrench no. 15 ?". He replied he doesn't and then suddenly appeared another stranger, question was repeated to him and he replied "Yes, take your pick" and he revealed his coat with pockets full of wrenches.  ;D

Offline FlyingHacker

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #2214 on: November 12, 2016, 05:00:39 pm »
Bought this lovely Lambda dual channel 0-250V current limited lab supply. Outputs are of course isolated, and can be combined is series for 500V or in parallel for more current.

Quick eval and light tear down here:

https://youtu.be/xS4Ijlds0ko

Offline karoru

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2215 on: November 12, 2016, 05:11:05 pm »
Bought this lovely Lambda dual channel 0-250V current limited lab supply. Outputs are of course isolated, and can be combined is series for 500V or in parallel for more current.

Quick eval and light tear down here:

https://youtu.be/xS4Ijlds0ko

Beautiful power supply:) I had a small heart attack when you started poking the knob with your little finger just near the unscrewed positive terminal with device set on 250V (considering you had bridged V- with GND on both channels).

Offline FlyingHacker

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #2216 on: November 12, 2016, 07:58:48 pm »

Beautiful power supply:) I had a small heart attack when you started poking the knob with your little finger just near the unscrewed positive terminal with device set on 250V (considering you had bridged V- with GND on both channels).

I just about had one when I realized I was actually touching that live alligator clip. I lambasted myself in the pop up captions if you watched on YouTube. Thankfully I was not grounded.

That will teach me to make videos around high voltage!

Offline Falkra

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2217 on: November 12, 2016, 08:08:47 pm »
Sweet ! Awesome power supply.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #2218 on: November 12, 2016, 08:22:32 pm »
That would be sweet for re-forming filter caps in tube gear!  Nice!!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline FlyingHacker

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #2219 on: November 12, 2016, 08:37:41 pm »
That would be sweet for re-forming filter caps in tube gear!  Nice!!

-Pat

Exactly why I got it... among other things, like calibration, etc.

Offline karoru

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2220 on: November 12, 2016, 10:14:22 pm »
I just about had one when I realized I was actually touching that live alligator clip. I lambasted myself in the pop up captions if you watched on YouTube. Thankfully I was not grounded.

That will teach me to make videos around high voltage!

Yeah I know, but that one was less obvious:) As you noticed, it's actually not that easy to electrocute oneself with DC unless your floor is wet and you're wearing Australian tactical footwear like Dave, but it's better safe than sorry.
And we better not spread questionable practices amongst people - if someone wants to touch live wires as a career, one goes to sparky school and gets proper licence, then one will do it every day installing 230V terminals to households, combined with working on heights with questionable quality devices you use to climb an electrical mains pole:))
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 10:24:18 pm by karoru »

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #2221 on: November 13, 2016, 03:53:24 am »
What did I buy today?  Not a bloody thing!  Spent about two hours in L.A. traffic driving from Orange County up to Apex Electronics only to find that they were closed for the day.   :rant: :rant: |O |O |O

And then spent nearly that long driving back.  Oh well.  I suppose on the positive side, I saved (at least for the moment) some money...   :-DD

<scampers off to look at evilBay  >:D >

-Pat
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 03:56:03 am by Cubdriver »

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #2222 on: November 13, 2016, 03:03:54 pm »
I made a trip to Orange County (just south of Los Angeles) a few weeks ago for the 50th anniversary reunion of my high-school class. Alas the traffic in the basin is so bad that there was no practical way of driving up to Sun Valley to visit Apex.  I may plan another trip and fly into Hollywood-Burbank airport which is much more convenient to Apex.

I tried visiting one of the last electronics surplus stores in Orange County, but it was gone and is now a sleazy shop for cheap auto electronics (and tires and wheels).  So apparently there are no more electronics surplus shops in Orange County.  :-[

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #2223 on: November 13, 2016, 10:11:11 pm »
I swear the traffic seems worse on the weekend than it is during the week!  It stinks about all the surplus houses closing down.  Apparently I started traveling out here a decade or so too late for all the prime stuff.  Coworkers talk of the glory that was the TRW swap meet in Lawndale; these days it seems to be more computers and consumer electronics than anything else...  Don't get me wrong, I still go if a visit is timed right, and have come away with some fantastic bargains, but can only imagine how much financial trouble I'd have gotten in to had I been there ten or fifteen years ago!

-Pat

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2224 on: November 13, 2016, 11:06:13 pm »
What did I buy today?  Not a bloody thing!  Spent about two hours in L.A. traffic driving from Orange County up to Apex Electronics only to find that they were closed for the day.   :rant: :rant: |O |O |O

Well, that's a drag. Does the LA area ever not have traffic these days? Every time I've been there there seemed to be congestion at all hours of the day and night.

<scampers off to look at evilBay  >:D >

Speaking of which, I bought a variety of little things such as tweezers, SOP clips, cables, etc. as well as one of those $10 timing GPS modules as a basis for my upcoming universal/frequency counter repairs. Now, I just have to find the thread I read months ago about those modules to refresh my recollection on how to go about setting it up.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf