Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2059370 times)

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #3175 on: November 21, 2016, 09:23:02 pm »
If I were you, I would fill out the firmware request form from Rigol and ask them to explain why they pulled down the latest released version.

Offline Mitsch

• Contributor
« Reply #3176 on: November 21, 2016, 09:46:28 pm »
firmware request form from Rigol

Where can I find that form? Sorry... Haven't found it yet.. But I'll wrote to Rigol:

1. why they removed the latest firmware (and if it is causing bugs or other problems)
2. if it is save to upgrade anyway (maybe somebody could provide the latest firmware)
3. or if I should downgrade (if my new DS1054Z already had 00.04.04 installed on it) because of bugs/problems

Thank you very much!

With kind regards,
Mitsch

Online Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #3177 on: November 21, 2016, 10:13:10 pm »
1. why they removed the latest firmware (and if it is causing bugs or other problems)

The latest firmware was removed because it could potenially brick DS1000Z models with an old boot loader. This has been discussed on this forum, you need to search the relevant threads. This latest release can still be downloaded if you know the URL (also posted somewhere here), since they only removed the download link.

2. if it is save to upgrade anyway (maybe somebody could provide the latest firmware)

While some users have upgraded before the firmware with removed and claim to have no issues. One of the main benefits of the new firmware version is that it allows a full screen XY render.

3. or if I should downgrade (if my new DS1054Z already had 00.04.04 installed on it) because of bugs/problems

As far as I know, you cannot downgrade the Rigol firmware! Once you upgrade, there is no turning back.

Regarding your previous questions and common questions:

a) I received my Rigol DS1054Z last friday. It came with firmware version 00.04.03.SP2. The board version is 0.1.4. It is with older board versions that the latest firmware had issues with SOME devices.

b) I believe that the corrected firmware will be published soon enough, hence there is no need to take a risk and upgrade with the current removed version.

c) I don't think you will "experience" the "jitter bug", even if your device comes with a firmware version that has this "bug". Most bugs mentioned in this forum are bugs on a much augmented scale, using specific examples to highlight the problem. With regular/normal use I don't think you will suffer from this bug.

d) I successfully enabled all options without a problem. BUT: don't use Windows 10 internal telnet client: it does not work properly on port 5555 with the Rigol! I used Putty and even so, I did not receive any message upon connection on port 5555. I only got something on screen after sending a command. This was not mentioned anywhere, so I add it here for newbies. Just copy&paste the command into the Putty session window and it will be accepted. I wasted like 15 minutes figuring why I didn't get any prompt upon connection...

e) Coming from a basic 2 channel 20MHz CRT scope, I am overwhelmed about the many functions and options this scope offers. I mean there are literally HUNDREDS of options/settings/functions! My old CRT scope has like 10-20 buttons and that's it... So the learning curve is huge on this DS1054Z, which is proof that I did well in getting this scope, even if it was just to learn how to operate a modern DSO. So while you are waiting for that new firmware, use the time to get to know your new scope, when it arrives.

f) 4 channels? Initially I questioned the value of it, but now I got it. Imagine testing a device communicating over i2c and there is a problem. You need two channels to monitor i2c (clock and data) and then for instance a third channel to monitor the produced output signal. Bingo: three channels!

Regards,
Vitor

The following users thanked this post: Mitsch, cdmackay

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3178 on: November 21, 2016, 10:21:23 pm »
It looks like the URL points to the 10/2015 version. Isn't that two versions old? I thought there were two updates in late 2016.?

Here is the FW request form, but you can get here from the Rigol product page, downloads, select firmware and you will get the form.

https://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/form/1579/0025:d-0005/0/-/-/-/-/index.htm

Online Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog

The following users thanked this post: Mitsch

Offline Mitsch

• Contributor
« Reply #3180 on: November 21, 2016, 10:59:18 pm »
@Bicurico: HOLY JESUS - Thank you SO much...  :-+
What the heck... Full screen rendering? That was the only thing I thought would be very cool - but I wanted an entry-level scope for a good price, because I don't use it every day... But that would completely make my day (haven't heard about that full screen rendering mode so far). Now I'm even more happy and can't wait to turn this thing on tomorrow...  ^-^

Thank you very much - again! Two last question: have you upgraded to the latest version? (maybe I'll get the same board/fw rev)
And: first update, then unlock or vice versa?

And I'll always use putty (portable) don't mess around with hyper-term..  It's kind of  |O

Online Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #3181 on: November 21, 2016, 11:08:04 pm »
"haven't heard about that full screen rendering mode so far"

Yes, that was for me the biggest improvement! See here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/just-upgrade-my-rigol-ds1054z-to-the-4-04-firmware/msg1023147/#msg1023147

Answers to your questions:

1) No, I have not upgraded my DS1054Z, as I thought that there are so many things to learn, that I would be stupid to go ahead and upgrade to a firmware version which was removed by the manufacturer. Instead, I just wait for the corrected firmware to be published.

2) I did not upgrade at all. I just enabled all options, using the Windows executable of riglol, which by the way gave me the same code as the online generator at http://gotroot.ca/rigol/riglol/. Aparently, there are different versions of the online generator, so use this one.

3) In XY mode, any old 2 channel analogue scope is better for animations, demos or games display. Bear that in mind, so don't get too excited about the fullscreen XY-mode.

Regads,
Vitor

The following users thanked this post: Mitsch

Offline Mitsch

• Contributor
« Reply #3182 on: November 21, 2016, 11:14:43 pm »
Again - a big thank you!

And I learned great things today.. Latest rigol fw breaks scoops..  ^-^
I hoop they will release the new "fixed" firmware soon, can't wait to see that full screen mode..  ;)

Good night!

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3183 on: November 21, 2016, 11:16:39 pm »
FWIW, I installed the last two updates from this year and did not notice any new bugs myself. The latest seems to be working fine and each one corrected a few bugs about measure.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #3184 on: November 21, 2016, 11:16:58 pm »
3) In XY mode, any old 2 channel analogue scope is better for animations, demos or games display. Bear that in mind, so don't get too excited about the fullscreen XY-mode.

The thing which annoys me about this is that it does not have to be true; it is just the DSO manufacturers being lazy.

Online Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #3185 on: November 21, 2016, 11:20:45 pm »
I easily stand corrected on this one, especially because the DS1054Z is my only reference as a DSO.

Because it is new to me and there is so much for me to learn, I have been doing some basic experiments to begin with, including playing some WAV demos in XY-mode.

My old METRIX 2 channel 20MHz CRT scope beats the XY mode hands down. Of course, I am not talking about all the bells and whistles of DSO measurements, rather I am saying that demos do not display as nice as on a CRT - which seems kind of obvious.

Regards,
Vitor

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #3186 on: November 21, 2016, 11:59:41 pm »
Could somebody please give me feedback about the firmware? My Rigol will arrive tomorrow...

C'mon, chill out, you even have not touch your scope yet. Why torture yourself stressing about the firmware bugs ?

Yeah, they exist, but it doesn't mean it will not perform major basic tasks/functions as an oscilloscope.

Worry about the firmware bugs and update it later once you've spent quality time with it.

My 2 cents.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3187 on: November 22, 2016, 12:43:38 am »
The latest firmware doesn't 'break scopes'!  It MAY break older models with older bootloaders or something like that but it clearly doesn't break newer scopes.  I installed the latest firmware before it was removed and it works fine.

Software Version
Board Version
Boot Version
Firmware Version
CPLD Version

Build Date Aug 23, 2016  <==== look for this!

I have had my scope a couple of months and I would expect that any new scope will be pretty close to mine in configuration except for the Software Version.  I would not expect the latest update to break anything.

To get the expanded System Info display push Menu-Menu-Force-Menu over in the trigger block and then Utility->System->System Info

I would also expect anything with a Build Date later than mine to be pretty well debugged except for the X-Y mode.  It turns out that I really need X-Y so the latest upgrade was well worth the effort.

Offline cdmackay

« Reply #3188 on: November 22, 2016, 02:50:29 am »
Board Version

To get the expanded System Info display push Menu-Menu-Force-Menu over in the trigger block and then Utility->System->System Info

For what it's worth, my recently delivered scope has board 0.1.4.  Everything else as yours.

I also noticed that almost all of the above info is also in the Params file, when saved to USB. Slightly more useful for records than a photo of the expanded Sys Info pop-up. The only difference is that the Params file doesn't have the full version of the software; it only says SoftWare Ver: 00.04.04.SP1, instead of 00.04.04.01.01 as in the on-screen pop-up.

Offline smithnerd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3189 on: November 22, 2016, 04:37:39 am »
The latest firmware doesn't 'break scopes'!  It MAY break older models with older bootloaders or something like that but it clearly doesn't break newer scopes.  I installed the latest firmware before it was removed and it works fine.

I highly doubt it breaks older scopes either. We'd surely be hearing about a lot more if it did...  :-//

FWIW, it seemed to me that 'scoop guy' was trying to wind up one of our regulars. His screen-shot seemed rather dubious.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #3190 on: November 22, 2016, 06:58:41 am »
And I learned great things today.. Latest rigol fw breaks scoops..  ^-^
I hoop they will release the new "fixed" firmware soon, can't wait to see that full screen mode..  ;)

The firmware version that your scope comes with should be fine for a while. I'd leave it as-is and dive into how to use it. It's also less to worry about in case you have to send it in for warranty work (unlikely, but since it's new, leave it unmolested for now).
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline HzMeister

« Reply #3191 on: November 22, 2016, 07:27:27 am »
So glad I found this thread. My 1054z is arriving in 2 days and I was planning on upgrading to the latest firmware without checking the board/bootloader version. My scope could be older stock for all I know.

Just to be clear, if the scope I get is newer(what is the cutoff point for new vs old?) is it 100% safe to upgrade to firmware 04.04.01.01?

If not, I'll obviously wait for a safe version to come out. If my trial runs out before the fix, I did want to "hack" it for the extra bandwidth/features - it's one of the reasons I got it as opposed to something else.

If I have a newer scope that can take the update, should I upgrade first and then unlock or vice versa?

Thanks.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 07:43:55 am by HzMeister »

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3192 on: November 22, 2016, 08:32:10 am »
So glad I found this thread. My 1054z is arriving in 2 days and I was planning on upgrading to the latest firmware without checking the board/bootloader version. My scope could be older stock for all I know.

Highly unlikely, if you bought from a US distributor like TEquipment.

Just to be clear, if the scope I get is newer(what is the cutoff point for new vs old?) is it 100% safe to upgrade to firmware 04.04.01.01?

100 % safe? R U kidding me? This is Rigol we are talking about.

In all seriousness, the scope that had the problem -- if indeed it really did have a problem related to the firmware -- was running a _very_ early version of the boot loader. It is extremely unlikely that any newly purchased scope will have that early version. If your scope is delivered with a boot version prior to 0.0.1.2, you should just return it immediately to your vendor and ask for a newer one that hasn't been kicking around in some chain of warehouses for two years.

If not, I'll obviously wait for a safe version to come out. If my trial runs out before the fix, I did want to "hack" it for the extra bandwidth/features - it's one of the reasons I got it as opposed to something else.

If I have a newer scope that can take the update, should I upgrade first and then unlock or vice versa?

Thanks.

Whatever you like. In my opinion you should wait until the trial runs out before you unlock the scope, unless you absolutely need the 100 MHz bandwidth for some reason (it's not included with the trial options.) This will give you a good "burn in" period so that you know you've got good hardware. It will also give you time to review the preferred procedures for installing and _removing_ the unlocking. (Telnet or other terminal application, sending SCPI commands over LAN connection).  As far as upgrading the firmware is concerned, you are on your own, since Rigol seems to have retracted the latest version. You should know that there seems to be no way for the user to roll back to an earlier version once a later one is installed, although Rigol seems to be able to do it in-house (perhaps by just changing the version number in the older code.) Myself, I have had no problems with the latest firmware.

I sure wish they would get around to fixing the stupid "pluses" error though. It's like an ugly mole on a beautiful woman. Doesn't affect the functionality but makes one cringe a little bit whenever you catch sight of it.
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline Mitsch

• Contributor
« Reply #3193 on: November 22, 2016, 10:35:20 am »
Rigol answered (wow - that was really fast) that they had some trouble with the latest firmware update.
They'll release a new firmware (hopefully without problems) late january / beginning of february next year.  :-+

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3194 on: November 22, 2016, 10:11:25 pm »

As I posted to Mitsch, use the scope as-is during the warranty period. If you find that you run into a bug that an update fixes, then consider installing it. Otherwise, there's no need.

The hack has not been affected by firmware updates, yet. So, the order doesn't matter, but if you're slightly paranoid then entering the code before upgrading is probably better. Unless you need the extra functionality right away, you may want to wait until your warranty is over depending on your risk tolerance. Although the hack can be removed quite easily, if the hardware fails for some other reason (e.g., screen dies, network/USB interface doesn't work), then you may not be able to reverse the changes before sending it in.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3195 on: November 22, 2016, 10:13:31 pm »
Rigol answered (wow - that was really fast) that they had some trouble with the latest firmware update.
They'll release a new firmware (hopefully without problems) late january / beginning of february next year.  :-+

Thanks for the update, Mitsch. That's good news.

Offline KM6XZ

« Reply #3196 on: November 24, 2016, 09:29:09 pm »
Just a comment...
I ordered a DS1054Z last week from their distributor in Moscow and it arrived today with a build date in late September. The firmware was 0.04.04 with trailing numbers and board 01.04
I added the "all options" code and everything worked as usual.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3197 on: November 24, 2016, 09:37:11 pm »
Just a comment...
I ordered a DS1054Z last week from their distributor in Moscow and it arrived today with a build date in late September. The firmware was 0.04.04 with trailing numbers and board 01.04
I added the "all options" code and everything worked as usual.

"all options" is bad because 500uV Vertical doesn't work well on the DS1054Z. Best not to enable that so you can't select it accidentally.

Offline MrWolf

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3198 on: November 29, 2016, 05:42:26 pm »
Anyone tried these 10x-only probes?
http://www.sefram.com/en/products/accessories/GE2511-250mhz-passive-oscilloscope-probe-x10-300v.html
Around 35€ w/VAT, accessories included.  Seems good match with DS1000Z.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #3199 on: November 29, 2016, 06:51:19 pm »
Anyone tried these 10x-only probes?
http://www.sefram.com/en/products/accessories/GE2511-250mhz-passive-oscilloscope-probe-x10-300v.html
Around 35€ w/VAT, accessories included.  Seems good match with DS1000Z.

I am sure they will work fine up to 100 MHz but they would be poor for random 250 MHz oscilloscopes do to lack of high frequency compensation adjustments.  There are lots of 100 MHz probes suitable for the Rigol DS1000Z including switchable x1/x10 probes.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf