Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2059309 times)

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
  • Radio Communications Equipment/System Design Engr.
Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #3250 on: December 26, 2016, 06:38:58 pm »
Hello alex27riva:

As to how to remove the Probe Hook:  Grab the Probe Hook Ass'y from where you are touching it with your finger in the picture you provided.  Then just pull the Hook Assembly off from the Probe?  You will then see the sharp pointed Probe Tip that is generally used to probe around on the Unit Under Test (UUT) such as a Printed Circuit Board (PCB), etc.

Enjoy you new O'Scope.   Cheers and have Happy New Year, Ted

Offline enry68

• Contributor
« Reply #3251 on: December 29, 2016, 09:17:33 am »
HI to all!

I'm new here, I've just bought a new Rigol DS1054Z. In this my first post my contribution to the Forum will be poor because I've a lot of questions ;D .

I've read a lot of threads in this amazing forum and I'm not sure to have right understood how is the situation about the last Rigol FW.  :o

If I've read that the last FW is dated in the 2016 but Rigol has removed it from the site because it generates reboot problems. I've also read that this problems disappears on scopes that has a new bootloader. Now the first questions:

1) Can I update to the last FW without having the last bootloader ?
1a) if no, is the bootloader upgradable ?
1b) if Yes, Where I can find the bootloader ?

Other consideration, I've read that some users had problems during the unlock procedure with the newer FW. Some of them has solved their problems others no. Here other questions:

2) What is the last stable FW for the scope ?
2a) Is the last FW hackable ?

I hope that the answer for my questions are usefull to all other people that populate the Forum and not only for me.

Sorry for the questions in this my first post but is the only way that I've to comunicate with other owner of this scope.  :-+

Thanks to all,
Enrico.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3252 on: December 29, 2016, 09:33:45 am »
Yes.

Yes.

Offline enry68

• Contributor
« Reply #3253 on: December 29, 2016, 09:55:03 am »
Yes.

Yes.

Thanks Fungus for the fast answer!!

About the bootloader I've read that the scope(if upgraded without the last bootloader) after some hours it will reboot ? It's true ?

Thanks again,
Enrico.

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #3254 on: December 29, 2016, 10:01:23 am »
The last firmware has apparently a bug on SOME devices, which seems to be linked to some older boot loader version. This has caused Rigol to withdraw the last firmware from its download site and it is expected that a corrected firmware will be published in January 2017.

• People who already had flashed that last firmware and experienced no problem are fine.
  • People who got a new device delivered with that last firmware are fine.
  • People who flashed the firmware and had problems (apparently 1 person so far), sent the device in for repair/downgrade.

So:

Do you have the last firmware? Yes: Great! No: Then do not upgrade it with the problematic firmware. Wait for the new release and only use firmware from Rigol's website.
You like living on the razor's edge? Get the last firmware and flash it. Chances are, it will just work.

I never read about a "reboot after so many hours" problem, though.

All I have written here, has been posted in the Rigol DS1054Z related threads.

Regards,
Vitor

Offline enry68

• Contributor
« Reply #3255 on: December 29, 2016, 10:09:08 am »
The last firmware has apparently a bug on SOME devices, which seems to be linked to some older boot loader version. This has caused Rigol to withdraw the last firmware from its download site and it is expected that a corrected firmware will be published in January 2017.

• People who already had flashed that last firmware and experienced no problem are fine.
  • People who flashed the firmware and had problems (apparently 1 person so far), sent the device in for repair/downgrade.

So:

Do you have the last firmware? Yes: Great! No: Then do not upgrade it with the problematic firmware. Wait for the new release and only use firmware from Rigol's website.
You like living on the razor's edge? Get the last firmware and flash it. Chances are, it will just work.

Regards,
Vitor

Thanks Victor, You are pretty precise.

So I thinks that the last "secure" and official FW is this:

Released version: 00.04.03.02.03
Release Date: 10/20/2015

For the next one I think that is necessary to wait January for the Official Upate.

Thanks to all.  :-+

Enrico.

Offline enry68

• Contributor
« Reply #3256 on: December 29, 2016, 03:10:30 pm »
I've checked my scope the FW is the following:

Model:DS1104Z
SN:DS1ZA181xxxxxx
Manufacturer:RIGOL TECHNOLOGIES
Board Ver:0.1.1
Firmware Ver:0.2.3.11
BOOT Ver:0.0.1.4
CPLD Ver:1.1
SoftWare Ver:00.04.03.SP2

So I've understood that the mine version (SP2) correspond to the latest official version of the FW of the scope.
I've tried to install all the option but with the 5mV/div the signal level goes down out of the screen, also after the calibration. So , with telnet, I've removed all the option and reinstalled with the option DSER (all but without the 5mV/div).

I've verified that the bootloader is 1.4 that (reading a lot of pages ago) seems to be right for the 4.4 FW, it is true ?

Many thanks to all.
Enrico.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 11:28:57 pm by enry68 »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3257 on: December 29, 2016, 05:26:19 pm »
So I've understood that the mine version (SP2) correspond to the latest official version of the FW of the scope.
I've tried to install all the option but with the 5mV/div the signal level goes down out of the screen, also after the calibration. So , with telnet, I've removed all the option and reinstalled with the option DSER (all but without the 5mV/div).

Yes, that option doesn't work.  :)

Offline enry68

• Contributor
« Reply #3258 on: December 29, 2016, 05:35:51 pm »

Yes, that option doesn't work.  :)

Thanks ...verified on my scope  :-DD

It is possible to roll back to an older version ? (Where find it ...)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3259 on: December 29, 2016, 05:48:42 pm »
It is possible to roll back to an older version ?

Strangely not.

Offline TheoB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3260 on: December 29, 2016, 06:15:09 pm »

Were do you find this info? Utility -> System -> System Info is what I do, but I do not get Firmware version, Boot version or CPLD version. I also tried the *IDN? SCPI command and get the same info except Board Version is not present.

Offline enry68

• Contributor
« Reply #3261 on: December 29, 2016, 06:44:42 pm »

Were do you find this info? Utility -> System -> System Info is what I do, but I do not get Firmware version, Boot version or CPLD version. I also tried the *IDN? SCPI command and get the same info except Board Version is not present.

Symply goint into print setup and selecting PARAMS as output inplace of picture. Than you can save the parameters of the scope into the USB key for example.

Enrico.

Offline enry68

• Contributor
« Reply #3262 on: December 29, 2016, 06:46:33 pm »
It is possible to roll back to an older version ?

Strangely not.

ohhh  :-BROKE

Thanks anyway  :-+

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3263 on: December 29, 2016, 06:53:36 pm »

You have to type a special cheat code.

Do this:  Menu -> Menu -> Force -> Menu -> Utility -> System -> System Info

Online Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3264 on: December 29, 2016, 07:00:06 pm »
To display the full version information:

- In the trigger area on the front panel, press MENU > MENU > FORCE > MENU         <<< press this sequence very quickly

- In the menu area, press UTILITY > SYSTEM > SYSTEM INFO

Offline Branqazwsx

• Supporter
« Reply #3265 on: January 02, 2017, 10:06:53 pm »

So:

Regards,
Vitor

I have just ordered a DS1054. I assume it will be on FW: 04.03.02.03. I would like to "hack" my unit and get the upgraded features. Once I apply the hack will it still be possible to update to the new firmware when it is released later this month?

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3266 on: January 02, 2017, 10:28:23 pm »
I have just ordered a DS1054. I assume it will be on FW: 04.03.02.03. I would like to "hack" my unit and get the upgraded features. Once I apply the hack will it still be possible to update to the new firmware when it is released later this month?

I don't know which version came in my scope when I bought it a few months ago.  No matter...  If you can find 00.04.04.01.01 (AKA 00.04.04.SP1) it is the latest version that I know of.  It works fine and the unlocking works as well.  I think I did the firmware upgrade first but I'm not sure.  Nevertheless, it works.

There was a recent thread where the user claimed a problem when unlocking a new scope.  It was user error!  Ignore it!

http://gotroot.ca/rigol/riglol/

Options should be DSER (that is NOT a typo) - do NOT use anything else!  Leave Private Key blank.

The following users thanked this post: Branqazwsx

Offline enry68

• Contributor
« Reply #3267 on: January 05, 2017, 03:35:54 pm »
Goodmorning,
I've just contacted my seller and I've asked to him the last SW for my Rigol DS1054Z. I has sent to me the last version 04.04.1.1 or so called 4.4.SP1. I've just installed it on my scope and the display reports these informations:

Manufacturer       RIGOL TECHNOLOGIES
Model                   DS1104Z
SN                        DS1ZA18xxxxxxx
Software Version  00.04.04.01.01
Board Version       0.1.1
Firmware Version  0.2.3.11
CPLD Version        1.1
Build Date             Aug 23 2016 16:29:08|0 0:1/0 17:38
StartUp Cnter       25

I hope these informations are usefull to somebody. :-+

Thanks to all,
Enrico.

Offline hansibull

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3268 on: January 06, 2017, 04:57:20 pm »
Hi!
I have a question about the math functionality. A few days ago I was probing the output of a 24v class D amplifier, where both the plus and the minus output is driven for maximal amplitude. To accomplish the "rectified signal" has a DC component referenced to ground, so if I'm going to measure the speaker output, I'll have to do a differential measurement.

The math operation suitable for this is the A-B operation, and the result is displayed as a purple wave at the screen. My question is: Is it possible to let the scope calculate the VRMS, Vp-p and frequency on the "math curve", like it can on the four independent channels? At the moment I've been using the cursors, but it would be much better if it could do it automatically!

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #3269 on: January 06, 2017, 05:14:52 pm »
My question is: Is it possible to let the scope calculate the VRMS, Vp-p and frequency on the "math curve", like it can on the four independent channels?

It better be able to.

Page 6-26 of the user guide says that the source selection for automatic measurements (select measure and then source) includes "math" which should do what you want.

Offline t_i_t_o

• Contributor
Some DS1054Z onanism :)
« Reply #3270 on: January 09, 2017, 12:44:09 pm »
Don't know if my DS is too good or the Fluke is too bad :)
100MHz SDRAM clock with the same 200MHz Tek probe. Pics attached.
The 150MHz Rigol probe almost makes no difference with the Tek one. Pic attached too - the one from 14:27.

Offline stilter

« Reply #3271 on: January 09, 2017, 11:03:55 pm »
I'm unable to access the "network settings" portion of the web interface on a ds1054z (04.04.SP1) The page prompts for credentials but the defaults (empty username, "111111" as password) don't work.

Interestingly enough it is possible to successfully change the password in a different part of the web interface (no username is required to do this) using "111111" as the old password. So the default password does seem to be valid. Any thoughts on this?

I mailed this question to Rigol support for my scope and received next answer:
  Could you try this user name / password with your device, please?
  username: test
  password.: 111111

Please note: password / user name doesn't work on some units.
  If you have the same behavior this will be reworked with next firmware update (planned end of January 2017).

I hope this helps.

Offline smithnerd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3272 on: January 09, 2017, 11:32:21 pm »
I'm unable to access the "network settings" portion of the web interface on a ds1054z (04.04.SP1) The page prompts for credentials but the defaults (empty username, "111111" as password) don't work.

Interestingly enough it is possible to successfully change the password in a different part of the web interface (no username is required to do this) using "111111" as the old password. So the default password does seem to be valid. Any thoughts on this?

I mailed this question to Rigol support for my scope and received next answer:
  Could you try this user name / password with your device, please?
  username: test
  password.: 111111

Please note: password / user name doesn't work on some units.
  If you have the same behavior this will be reworked with next firmware update (planned end of January 2017).

I hope this helps.

It's rigollan/111111 - I just grepped it out of the firmware strings and tried it on my scope.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, bitseeker

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3273 on: January 10, 2017, 04:39:03 am »
Hi!
I have a question about the math functionality. A few days ago I was probing the output of a 24v class D amplifier, where both the plus and the minus output is driven for maximal amplitude. To accomplish the "rectified signal" has a DC component referenced to ground, so if I'm going to measure the speaker output, I'll have to do a differential measurement.

The math operation suitable for this is the A-B operation, and the result is displayed as a purple wave at the screen. My question is: Is it possible to let the scope calculate the VRMS, Vp-p and frequency on the "math curve", like it can on the four independent channels? At the moment I've been using the cursors, but it would be much better if it could do it automatically!

Once you have a Math function selected and have the purple trace displayed:  Measure>Source> MATH becomes available and the left-hand horizontal and vertical Measurements menus turn purple and you have all the automatic measurements available for the MATH trace.

But take _all_ the Automatic Measurements made on the DS1054z with a large grain of salt: verify by inspection of graticule and channel/timebase settings and/or cursors before you trust them. And if someone's life depends on the measurements... get a better oscilloscope.    :horse:
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3274 on: January 10, 2017, 05:53:11 am »
You can read the password with this SCPI command:

:LAN:PASSword?

For the user name I know of no SCPI command.

Peter

Careful... I sent this command to my scope using telnet on the LAN connection... it returned nothing and broke the scope's LAN connection (no further responses to any commands sent by telnet.) I had to reboot the scope and reestablish the connection to my router to get LAN functionality back.
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf