Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2059839 times)

Offline ProBang2

• Frequent Contributor
Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #3300 on: January 17, 2017, 07:27:10 am »
[...]One thing that seems odd about this one, though, is The build date, calibration date, and their relation to the versions of the board and software.  maybe I'm seing it wrong, but it seems like the unit was calibrated 11 months after the manufacture date.  go figure.

Software (firmware) 00.04.03.02.03
board ver   0.1.4
boot ver   0.0.1.4
build date Sept 11 2015

The factory calibration page date  is July 11, 2016.

The "build date Sept 11 2015" is simply the build date of the firmware ("Software (firmware) 00.04.03.02.03").
So there is no reason to worry.

Have fun with your new toy!   :-+

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3301 on: January 17, 2017, 09:44:15 pm »
Some clones of the original (and now unavailable) Riglol website have a bug and produce the wrong activation code.

Attached is a DOS version of the Riglol software (all credits go to the authors). It will work in a CMD window even on Windows 10 64 bit, so no need to use Linux.

It will produce the correct code and I am posting it for future reference.

Regards

After having issues with the unlock code I got from the listed website I tried running riglol.exe in the windows command prompt and it gave the correct code straight up!

The program can be downloaded from the website if you scroll down to the bottom and download the raw code. If you go back to the above quoted reply there is a direct link to download the file.

Might be worth linking to this program on page 1 of this thread for the benefit of all?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 09:46:22 pm by 1anX »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3302 on: January 18, 2017, 01:49:44 am »
Some clones of the original (and now unavailable) Riglol website have a bug and produce the wrong activation code.

Attached is a DOS version of the Riglol software (all credits go to the authors). It will work in a CMD window even on Windows 10 64 bit, so no need to use Linux.

Regards

After having issues with the unlock code I got from the listed website I tried running riglol.exe in the windows command prompt and it gave the correct code straight up!

The program can be downloaded from the website if you scroll down to the bottom and download the raw code. If you go back to the above quoted reply there is a direct link to download the file.

Might be worth linking to this program on page 1 of this thread for the benefit of all?
Well the thing is, the website isn't broken for everyone, it seems. I used the website just fine. (And since I don't run Windows, downloading an .exe isn't an option anyway.)

Offline canibalimao

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3303 on: January 18, 2017, 07:53:09 am »

Regards

Well the thing is, the website isn't broken for everyone, it seems. I used the website just fine. (And since I don't run Windows, downloading an .exe isn't an option anyway.)

But you can allways use the source code of that .exe

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3304 on: January 19, 2017, 03:32:18 pm »
If I were a programmer, perhaps. I am not.

Offline Daruosha

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3305 on: January 19, 2017, 04:02:45 pm »
If I were a programmer, perhaps. I am not.

If you're a linux user and desperately need Windows for any reason, you always have the virtualization option. Install a virtual machine and setup Windows inside it  do your thing and delete the VM (or keep it for next case).

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3306 on: January 22, 2017, 02:42:23 pm »
I already have a Windows VM on my Mac. (Not all electroncs nerds are Linux nerds, you know. ;)) But I hate having to use it if at all possible, since I dislike the Windows user experience (I'm a trained usability professional). And given that I recently decided to run Windows Update, and in doing so noticed I hadn't booted Windows in 18 months, there clearly isn't much that I've been unable to do with native apps. My point was simply that compiling from source is not something everyone is willing or able to do. I do wonder why the website occasionally spits out incorrect data, while working correctly for most people. I had no trouble using it to generate the unlock code for my scope.

Offline OE2WHP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3307 on: January 23, 2017, 12:25:30 am »
Maybe the algorithm is not 100% perfect or probably its a classic PEBKAC.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #3308 on: January 23, 2017, 01:30:34 am »
I do wonder why the website occasionally spits out incorrect data, while working correctly for most people. I had no trouble using it to generate the unlock code for my scope.

Bug? It would be interesting to know if the problems occur predominantly on a particular device, OS, browser, JavaScript engine, etc.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline bnr247

« Reply #3309 on: January 24, 2017, 11:27:11 am »
Well guys,
 I just got my RMA replacement scope and it still has jitter but not nearly as bad as the last one. BUT this doesn't look right what do you guys think?
This is with a Probe Attached to the scope but nothing attached to it.

what does it show when you push the Auto buton?

Offline Johnny Electron

• Contributor
« Reply #3310 on: February 11, 2017, 12:59:41 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm seeing conflicting info on the latest firmware revision.   The latest Rigol wants to give me is 00.04.03.02.03 but my system screen has a later revision of 00.04.04.SP1.  Is there a later revision?  I apologize if this info is somewhere else but I can't seem to find it.  (The first page of this thread says there is a v00.04.04.01.01 (don't know if thats later than what i have or not) but the link it goes to only has 00.04.02.01.00 available.)

Any thanks would be appreciated.

John

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3311 on: February 11, 2017, 03:49:07 pm »
The latest firmware can be downloaded from their official site at
http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/fs/blocks/showLandingPage/a/1579/p/p-0019/t/page/fm/0

The 00.04.04.xx.xx version was released by Rigol and then recalled because it didn't install properly and bricked some scopes.  However, they are shipping new scopes with the newer firmware. You just need to hold out for the next version they release. You already have the newest version for now.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3312 on: February 11, 2017, 03:55:54 pm »
I'm seeing conflicting info on the latest firmware revision.   The latest Rigol wants to give me is 00.04.03.02.03 but my system screen has a later revision of 00.04.04.SP1.  Is there a later revision?  I apologize if this info is somewhere else but I can't seem to find it.  (The first page of this thread says there is a v00.04.04.01.01 (don't know if thats later than what i have or not) but the link it goes to only has 00.04.02.01.00 available.)

00.04.04.SP1 caused (very minor) problems on older hardware so they took it off the web site. They're still putting it on new units though.

We're expecting a new firmware any day now.

Remember: Don't fix it if it ain't broken. Any firmware update has a risk of going wrong. Only apply firmware updates if you really need to.

Offline duracell

• Contributor
« Reply #3313 on: February 12, 2017, 04:57:11 am »
Should I buy DS1052E or DS1054Z ?
Price is almost the same.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3314 on: February 12, 2017, 05:11:31 am »

The 1054 has 4 channels and that's just a lot more useful than 2 channels.

Offline duracell

• Contributor
« Reply #3315 on: February 12, 2017, 05:21:17 am »

The 1054 has 4 channels and that's just a lot more useful than 2 channels.

1054Z is also faster and has more memory, but I am worried about the software bugs with 1054Z.  :-//

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3316 on: February 12, 2017, 05:38:49 am »
1054Z is also faster and has more memory, but I am worried about the software bugs with 1054Z.  :-//
FWIW, given the size of the DSO 1xxx user base, Rigol has been on top of solving issues.  ;)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3317 on: February 12, 2017, 05:39:20 am »

The DS1054Z had many bugs. Rigol fixed many (most?) of them, which is why it's beneficial to buy something that has been on the market for a couple of years or more. We may find new bugs, but meanwhile we make use of the tool and it works for us.

If this scope will do what you need and is in your budget, worry less and make more stuff. :-+ If you have a higher budget, you might consider a higher-end scope if that will help you worry less. ^-^

Offline duracell

• Contributor
« Reply #3318 on: February 12, 2017, 05:45:43 am »

The DS1054Z had many bugs. Rigol fixed many (most?) of them, which is why it's beneficial to buy something that has been on the market for a couple of years or more. We may find new bugs, but meanwhile we make use of the tool and it works for us.

If this scope will do what you need and is in your budget, worry less and make more stuff. :-+ If you have a higher budget, you might consider a higher-end scope if that will help you worry less. ^-^

Thank you very much. So am not gonna make a mistake buying a 1054Z instead of 1052E ?
My budget is max 500$, so high end devices are for now out of question.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3319 on: February 12, 2017, 06:03:48 am »
Thank you very much. So am not gonna make a mistake buying a 1054Z instead of 1052E ?

That would be difficult for me to say, since I don't know what you'll be using it for, what's important to you, etc. So, I'd recommend that you review the features of each to determine which one better fits your uses. Generally speaking, though, the 1054Z certainly delivers more for your money than the older, smaller screen, 2-channel 1052E.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3320 on: February 12, 2017, 06:34:32 am »
The additional 2 channels are nice to have when you need them, as are the software features after unlocking it (i.e. decoding capabilities). Unlocking also doubles the memory IIRC.

Given your location, I'd suggest looking into Batterfly.com (~328EUR shipped; VAT not included). BTW, they're located in Italy. They also run specials (combo packages) that might be of interest.

Offline Assafl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3321 on: February 12, 2017, 01:27:26 pm »
Remember: Don't fix it if it ain't broken. Any firmware update has a risk of going wrong. Only apply firmware updates if you really need to.

Wise advise (always is) but there is a catch 22 to it - which is that you may end up wasting time (or worse) chasing previously resolved issues - like the RMS bug. You can avoid this by updating.

The wise advise is to not be the first to update. Let others be the guinea pigs and update a firmware only after a week (or fortnight) have passed successfully. That will also let you see if indeed issues were fixed (or new ones created).

Offline DG41WV

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3322 on: February 12, 2017, 02:39:59 pm »
I recently bought a ds1054z and most of the time the trace disappears from the screen. Is this a known bug or have I got a defective unit? btw does Tequipment pay for shipping a defective unit back to them or do I have to pay for it?

Offline ProBang2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3323 on: February 12, 2017, 03:49:05 pm »

Possible PEBCAK error. Probably no defective scope. Recommendation: RTFM.  :phew:

BTW: The scope reacts in this case when the trigger condition on channel 1 is matched (even when the channel 1 is deactivated). Then it shows the signal of channel 4.

Please look in your manual about:

Trigger- source (to a channel)
Trigger- modes: Auto, normal and single.

Manual DS1054Z Download as Pdf.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 05:39:47 pm by ProBang2 »

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3324 on: February 12, 2017, 05:15:23 pm »

You won't be making a mistake with the 1054Z.  If it comes from current inventory, it will have the latest firmware 00.04.04.SP1.  To the best of my knowledge, all bugs have been eliminated EXCEPT for a spelling error "Pluses" where it should be "Pulses".  I can live with it...

I would suggest you read this thread only as far back as Nov 2016.  That was when the lastest firmware was released.  Issues with firmware older than that seem to have been fixed.  Who really cares about issues at the margins way back when the scope was first introduced?  They have been fixed.

There are alternatives, of course.  The thing is, they cost a lot more money.

As boring as it seems, do try to read the User Manual.  These is a lot of capability in the scope that you just won't find unless you read about it first.  It has a lot more capability than just displaying wiggly lines.

In fact, you can download and read the manual while you wait for your scope to arrive.  At least skim over it and see what it can do.  You can get down to button-pushing when the scope arrives.

The following users thanked this post: duracell

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf