Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2803291 times)

Offline HecticZA

• Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #6350 on: May 17, 2018, 04:25:45 pm »
Smd soldering practice kit and some cheap tweezers.

I have those exact same tweezers and I think they are pretty good. I am sure more expensive ones are nicer, but those have never sent a component flying across the room.

I have those exact same tweezers and I think they are pretty good. I am sure more expensive ones are nicer, but those have never sent a component flying across the room.
I was just about to write the same reply.
That is good news. Think I only paid postage on it.
Was ordered on the the 5th of Feb and only received it now.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #6351 on: May 17, 2018, 04:41:54 pm »

I was just about to write the same reply.

I have a couple of them also.  Nice value for the money.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6352 on: May 17, 2018, 05:40:07 pm »
Another TI-68 for my little collection ;)
This is the first model with the metal bezel and screws. The LCD had issues but after giving the flex connector some love (and 150°C), it looks like fresh from the factory.
Paid 10,50€ for it and couldn't be any happier.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6353 on: May 17, 2018, 05:43:46 pm »
This is the first model with the metal bezel and screws. The LCD had issues but after giving the flex connector some love (and 150°C), it looks like fresh from the factory.
150C, yikes, what did you do to the poor thing then?

I have one of those as well, I seem to collect scientific calculators.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6354 on: May 17, 2018, 05:51:19 pm »
I wouldn't call myself a collector. I just tend to fall in love with some calculators with alphanumeric display for some reason. Also bought an HP 42S recently but the display has very bad contrast.
Anyway, the TI-68 is notorious for having issues with the flex connector and going over the PCB connection with a soldering iron at ~150°C tends to cure it without melting the connector.
Worked for this one for sure. The display was barely readable with several columns and rows missing before:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 05:54:06 pm by 0xdeadbeef »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6355 on: May 17, 2018, 06:21:41 pm »
Thats a neat trick, I've got a couple Texas Ti58's, A Silver Ti (can't remember the model number) in a clam shell case, a black Ti68, Ti86 and also a Ti92 but my daily calc is a Commodore SR4912 with red led display, neat.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #6356 on: May 17, 2018, 07:48:46 pm »
Cypress FX2/LP mini eval board (link is to Sigrok wiki page). For USB high speed transfer experiments: perhaps I could cobble together a 1 Msps 8-16 bit ADC with a differential front-end for measuring unipolar signals up to 12 volts (15 volts) or so. Would be quite useful for measuring supply glitches on SBCs, as I lack proper test equipment. The ADC would use the measurement ground, isolated from the FX2 using e.g. Si86xx digital isolators, so technically the ADC does not even need to have differential inputs. The FX2 itself uses USB host power and ground. Power for the ADC and its analog front end (voltage divider and buffer opamp, or an inamp with sub-unity gain) would be from a battery, to avoid the noise from an isolated DC-DC converter.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #6357 on: May 17, 2018, 10:05:10 pm »

I had that exact model in high school and college, in fact I still have it in a drawer in my study, fantastic calculator!

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6358 on: May 17, 2018, 10:27:38 pm »
Yeah, well, it has some weird limitations like supporting binary only to +/-511, limiting variable names to three characters (or so) and not being fully programmable (loops etc.), but it has pretty good support for complex numbers and it sure has style.

The following users thanked this post: Octane

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #6359 on: May 17, 2018, 11:51:44 pm »
"Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson

"If everything you try works, you aren't trying hard enough." - Gordon Moore

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #6360 on: May 18, 2018, 02:52:42 am »
Yeah, well, it has some weird limitations like supporting binary only to +/-511, limiting variable names to three characters (or so) and not being fully programmable (loops etc.), but it has pretty good support for complex numbers and it sure has style.

Considering it's ~1992 vintage is pretty decent imo.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6361 on: May 18, 2018, 04:56:18 am »
I think I might have one of those TI-68 calculators. Seems like the display was badly discolored, but I haven't seen it in years. Stored away in a box somewhere probably. I know I have a TI-83 and a TI-30, so they're probably all in the same box. I may have to dig them out to take a look.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #6362 on: May 18, 2018, 06:48:47 am »
I think I might have one of those TI-68 calculators. Seems like the display was badly discolored, but I haven't seen it in years. Stored away in a box somewhere probably. I know I have a TI-83 and a TI-30, so they're probably all in the same box. I may have to dig them out to take a look.

I think I've got a heavily worn TI-55 III somewhere too, that was my 1st TI calc - I traded an Armatron for it in High School.

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6363 on: May 18, 2018, 12:29:09 pm »
I think I might have one of those TI-68 calculators. Seems like the display was badly discolored, but I haven't seen it in years.
Again, missing or weak columns/rows of the TI-68's display are usually caused by the flex connector and can be cured with a soldering iron at ~150°C.
The display actually has a quite good contrast .. specifically for a matrix display of that period. The displays of e.g. the HP 42S and the TI 85 are barely readable in low light situations and/or under certain angles no matter what contrast setting you use and so you find yourself tweaking the settings all the time.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #6364 on: May 18, 2018, 12:59:52 pm »
My Plastic ran into the slightly infamous alice110.... on evilbay for the first time. Wonders should I start being a shill for $$ too >:D All jokes aside nice range of 'stuff'.

Also took delivery of some Neons after a little bigclive inspiration. Bending jig for flowers made suits 3-6mm Neons or Leds and ran up a few samples.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6365 on: May 18, 2018, 08:14:18 pm »
Hi

Recently just got this

Was spares or repair. Sadly completely dead  :(
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 08:15:50 pm by MosherIV »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6366 on: May 18, 2018, 08:18:18 pm »
I snared this today on the evilbay for a good price, now I'm even better placed to calibrate my own meters  :popcorn:

Who let Murphy in?

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6367 on: May 18, 2018, 08:18:52 pm »
150C, yikes, what did you do to the poor thing then?
Repaired the hot-bar connected flat-flex. Dave does the same thing in this repair:

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #6368 on: May 18, 2018, 11:59:23 pm »
I think I might have one of those TI-68 calculators. Seems like the display was badly discolored, but I haven't seen it in years.
Again, missing or weak columns/rows of the TI-68's display are usually caused by the flex connector and can be cured with a soldering iron at ~150°C.
The display actually has a quite good contrast .. specifically for a matrix display of that period. The displays of e.g. the HP 42S and the TI 85 are barely readable in low light situations and/or under certain angles no matter what contrast setting you use and so you find yourself tweaking the settings all the time.

My screen is still in perfect working order ... still running off batteries from College too!  :o

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6369 on: May 19, 2018, 01:09:39 am »
I actually got this last week, but one of the digits didn't light up. It took me until yesterday to get around to fixing it. I just wanted a basic calculator to keep by the living room computer with a display I could see in subdued light.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6370 on: May 19, 2018, 07:27:43 am »

My screen is still in perfect working order ... still running off batteries from College too!  :o

So I should so, college was only a few months ago. 🤣🤣🤣

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #6371 on: May 19, 2018, 07:30:50 am »

So I should so, college was only a few months ago. 🤣🤣🤣

Lol, that was in the 90's for me!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6372 on: May 19, 2018, 07:31:36 am »
I actually got this last week, but one of the digits didn't light up. It took me until yesterday to get around to fixing it. I just wanted a basic calculator to keep by the living room computer with a display I could see in subdued light.

Yep, that's the big problem with LCD screens, hence my main calculator has LEDS nice, red glow and easy on the eyes.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6373 on: May 19, 2018, 07:36:26 am »

So it should be, college was only a few months ago. 🤣🤣🤣

Lol, that was in the 90's for me!

Mine was in the late 60s hence the red LEDS, my first foray into LCDS happened years after I left college but the trusty old Commodore SR4912 is still as good as new.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 07:56:47 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6374 on: May 19, 2018, 07:52:32 am »
I forgot to add this photo of my TI-68 to my earlier post. The digits all work fine but there's a strange brownish discoloration across the bottom of the display. Whatever it is must be in or behind the clear plastic because it won't clean off.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf