Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2204724 times)

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
Re: Problem with changing logo
« Reply #1375 on: September 18, 2012, 12:29:35 pm »
Did anyone try to hack DSO5102BM?
I bought DSO5102BM few days ago only and wanted to hack it.
 But I noticed it uses a different software.
E.g. I need not use
 killall dsod command
to enter console and also  booting is different.
I were not able to change logo and not sure if the hack was really successful.
It shows DSO5202B( as I wanted) but not sure if it also works as DSO5202B.

Besides when it starts booting it shows

*** Warning - bad CRC or NAND, using default environment
##### EmbedSky BIOS for SKY2440/TQ2440 #####
Press Space key to Download Mode !
Booting Linux ...
Copy linux kernel from 0x00200000 to 0x30008000, size = 0x00200000 ... Copy Kernel to SDRAM done,NOW, Booting Linux......
Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
Linux version 2.6.30.4 (root@rain-fc4) (gcc version 4.3.3 (Sourcery G++ Lite 2009q1-176) ) #9 Mon Dec 12 11:50:21 CST 2011
CPU: ARM920T [41129200] revision 0 (ARMv4T), cr=c0007177
CPU: VIVT data cache, VIVT instruction cache
Machine: TQ2440

Thanks for help.

BM/BMV models are newer, there are few differences:
- logo is not just a bitmap loaded during boot process but it is located in the "disp" executable (/disp or /dso/app/disp)
- current BM/BMV firmware is based on older B-model sources (from Nov/Dec 2011?), so some changes are not
  implemented yet. One of these changes is watchdog (dsod executable), if not there you don't need to kill it.
- bootloader is different(better), it does support now USB upload
- kernel is 2.6.30.4 and not 2.6.13
- root fs is newer, contains newer drivers, media player, etc.

All you need to know is, when 2ns/div timebase is there then the hack was successful.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline Jane

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #1376 on: September 18, 2012, 01:04:19 pm »
thanks for the reply.
Does it mean BM/BMV models has also different hardware or only software?
I noticed there is P1 connector for buzzer but nothing more different

And is there a way  how  I can  change the logo also?
Thanks again for help

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
« Reply #1377 on: September 18, 2012, 02:50:14 pm »

Wat?

Offline project

• Contributor
« Reply #1378 on: September 18, 2012, 03:11:28 pm »
For those whose ever got error code 0xfe when update by usb, just change the file name to dst1kb.up, u'll survive.

I was trying to update 120430, to 120623 and 120808, dso refuse to recognize file on usb in long form, keep gave me 0xfe error. after I read https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1571.msg70890#msg70890 . Thought might be file name too long or something wrong with my computer, just change the file name to shortest one that dso needs to know, that is dst1kb.up, problem solved. just FYI. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 03:13:58 pm by project »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1379 on: September 18, 2012, 04:29:14 pm »

Wat?

yep, BMV models supports "Video help", which is nothing else than Video player (with some video help files).
The video player is actually mplayer from http://www.mplayerhq.hu

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline Chinese descent

« Reply #1380 on: September 18, 2012, 04:38:11 pm »
Hi tinhead!
I purchased oscilloscope TEKWAY DST1062B.
Model: dst1062b
Software Version: 2.06.3 (111,122.0)
Hardware version: 10070 × 555583e8
Product No.: T1G/012005503
After the upgrade, start oscilloscope LOGO displayed as DST1202B. However, in view system information or DST1062B. This question should be how to deal with? Please help answer, thank you!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 11:29:57 pm by Chinese descent »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1381 on: September 18, 2012, 05:54:47 pm »
Does it mean BM/BMV models has also different hardware or only software?
I noticed there is P1 connector for buzzer but nothing more different

no, the hardware is the same (except bigger SRAM chip)

And is there a way  how  I can  change the logo also?

sure, you can edit the "disp" file and replace the logo picture by what so ever you like

Offline yoq

« Reply #1382 on: September 18, 2012, 05:59:54 pm »
hi tinhead,

you seem to be online right now, so what do you think about network on the bench models?
please see my post on page 92

Thank you

EDIT: From what I can read, network access works on the BM(V) models, would it be possible to run this firmware on the 5XX2B hardware?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 06:03:42 pm by yoq »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1383 on: September 18, 2012, 06:59:21 pm »
A few people mentioned WiFi dongles, and I really liked that idea, so I got a 10€ one from amazon.
It has a realtek chipset, and they provide linux sources for the driver.
If you have a different dongle than the EDIMAX EW-7811UN

good work, thanks for that.

@tinhead
Is there any chance of getting network support for the DSO-app on the bench models?
I tried to activate it by writing the [net]1 to the EEPROM, but I couldn't connect with ttscope or dreisiebners' dso-tool.
Taking a screenshot wirelessly seems like a very neat feature to me, so already tried to grab it directly from the framebuffer, but /dev/fb0 seems to be unused.

unfortunately only the handheld version of dso.exe can use network directly. In principle with BM/BMV benchtops
root fs it's possible to run the handheld dso.exe (tested). However such combination does NOT work with benchtop
frontpanel layout, so not a real option :P

I've asked multpile times both Hantek and Tekway why they still not released network-enabled
firmware for B/BM/BMV/MSO benchtop models, the answer was always "soon".

I've compared the speed over network and usb (with handheld), and network was much faster and stable,
so no idea why they still not released it officialy.

Anyway, there is another way: the network communication works over UDP, port 9966 by default.
Because its still the same data, all you need is to redirect the USB data to network.
Im principle a UDP server and patched usb-char i think? (from usbdevice driver) could work as well.

Offline Jane

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1384 on: September 18, 2012, 07:58:35 pm »
@tinhead:You say I can change logo by editing disp file.
Do you mean

/logotype.dis
file ?

I changed
/logotype.dis
It consists only
hantek_DSO5202B

But still no good

Thanks for reply

Offline yoq

« Reply #1385 on: September 20, 2012, 09:41:39 pm »
In principle a UDP server and patched usb-char i think? (from usbdevice driver) could work as well.

Thanks for the good idea, i got it working! Hantek released the source code for the usb-char module, so it was relatively easy to redirect all communication to a udp server. For this, I wrote a new kernel module using the nice ksocket library/module.
I will clean up the code a bit and post the sources tomorrow.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1386 on: September 20, 2012, 09:46:48 pm »
Do you mean

/logotype.dis
file ?

I changed
/logotype.dis
It consists only
hantek_DSO5202B

But still no good

Thanks for reply

no, the disp file. Just check the file system, there is /disp or /dso/app/disp file, and inside this file a
raw image is included (in principle like the logo files before but this time compiled into executable file)
You can replace/edit this file to create own disp file - for our model the logotype.dis is not changing anything.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1387 on: September 20, 2012, 09:52:52 pm »
In principle a UDP server and patched usb-char i think? (from usbdevice driver) could work as well.

Thanks for the good idea, i got it working! Hantek released the source code for the usb-char module, so it was relatively easy to redirect all communication to a udp server. For this, I wrote a new kernel module using the nice ksocket library/module.
I will clean up the code a bit and post the sources tomorrow.

a big thumbs up! 

that was fast solved.

Offline yoq

« Reply #1388 on: September 21, 2012, 09:36:30 pm »
Okay, so here are the sources for the usb-char module with integrated udp-server.
The redirection via UDP only becomes active when the there is no USB cable from the back connector to a PC. Unfortunately the detection whether the cable has been removed is not very reliable, so it often takes a restart to use UDP again after disconnecting USB.
The zip contains the compiled modules (ksocket, udp_server, usb-char, load in that order), and the sources.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1389 on: September 21, 2012, 10:00:14 pm »
Okay, so here are the sources for the usb-char module with integrated udp-server.

nice.

out of curiosity, which version of GPL code did you used,

http://www.eedownload.com:7635/dso_bench.zip
or
http://www.hantek.com/download/desktop.zip
?

Side note:
The desktop.zip contains (especialy the first version which has been already removed from web)
some more drivers, the last one contains however no real source for usb client.
I've attached (in case somene need it) drivers from first version of desktop.zip,
the usb client was in linux-2.6.13_800x480_option1_lz_120410.tar.gz\win\2.4.18usbd\

The dso_bench.zip contains the "the real" sources of usb client driver.
For some reason both Tekway/Hantek was not able to find the proper (original) sources,
finally they found something (what will produce similar binary driver as the one in DSO root fs)
and included in the dso_bench.zip

« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 10:08:31 pm by tinhead »

Offline yoq

« Reply #1390 on: September 22, 2012, 12:01:24 pm »
I used the driver sources from the voltcraft package (http://ftp.gpl-devices.org/pub/vendors/Voltcraft), they are identical with the drivers_2.6.13_lz_120410.tar.gz from your zip file. I also had to use the our_s3c2440_regs.h from the option1 package as the kernel sources only included a symbolic link to a file on their disk. Everything was compiled with the arm-linux- toolchain, version 3.4.1 from the voltcraft package.

Offline Polossatik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1391 on: September 22, 2012, 12:58:55 pm »

All you will have to do is to:
- backup firmware (over USB flash drive with backup tool)
- remove sticker (front panel near USB) to expose the hole for DB25 socket. Every hw1007 have such hole.
- solder cable to DB25 socket (the IDT20 cable which will be pluged into LA PCB)
- mount this DB25 socket to front panel. I think there are already holes in the shielding, when you remove the sticker
  you will see immediately if there is any drill work necessary.
- solder the 1.27mm pitch header to DSO PCB
- mount the LA PCB to DSO PCB
- connect the IDT20 cable (from DB25) to LA
- reconnect all other DSO cables, so you can boot DSO.

Boot DSO and install new firmware. You will need for this UART<->PC connection and deatiled description how to
do this. I will get special crafted firmware (actually complette dump), this must be complettly restored to DSO
overwriting the old version. The biggest advantage : you will have newer Linux version, which is anyway necessary to
get network working. In Germany i'm offering "instalaltion service", so everybody who don't wish to play with
UART/USB to install firmware or solder cables/header can get this step done by me (for a small fee).

So as long you have :
- screwdriver
- solder station
- UART<->USB adapter cable
- max 2GB USB flash drive
it's not so much to do.

just saw this, so had a look at the Voltcraft DSO-3062C  hw1007 version
there is a hole in the plastic of the case for the DB25 socket in the front panel, but there is a metal shield behind it, is the clearing between those enough to install the DB25 socket ?

edit: ha, having second look at http://www.tekwayins.com/pic/201202080007.jpg it measn you need to cut you're own hole in the metal to mount the db25... hum..

and what's up with those unpopulated phone/mic things next to the rear USB port? where are they used for in other models? :)
I also don't see any models with a second front usb port, anyway, info about that must be buried most likely somewhere here in the thread :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 01:16:15 pm by Polossatik »
Real Circuit design time in minutes= (2 + Nscopes) Testim + (40 +120 Kbrewski) Nfriends

Testim = estimated time in minutes Nscopes= number of oscilloscopes present Kbrewski = linear approx of the nonlinear beer effect Nfriends = number of circuit design friends present

Offline Jane

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1392 on: September 22, 2012, 02:28:30 pm »
Quote from: Jane on September 18, 2012, 07:58:35 PM
Do you mean

/logotype.dis
file ?

I changed
/logotype.dis
It consists only
hantek_DSO5202B

But still no good

Thanks for reply

no, the disp file. Just check the file system, there is /disp or /dso/app/disp file, and inside this file a
raw image is included (in principle like the logo files before but this time compiled into executable file)
You can replace/edit this file to create own disp file - for our model the logotype.dis is not changing anything.
Tinhead, but how can I change the  logo of DSO5102BM, if the   /dso/app/disp file is already compiled?How can I edit a  compiled file?
Thanks for your reply

Offline Fet

Standing Ovation and Thanks to Tinhead
« Reply #1393 on: September 23, 2012, 03:28:20 pm »

Standing Ovation and Thanks to Tinhead

Hello all,

I am new to EEV Blog and found Tinhead's post concerning the Hantek ~ Tekway mods while Googling for a Hantek seller ~ distributor.

As an Electronic Tech, ( and for the time being, still gainfully employed , LoL ! ) , I would like to encourage my other unknown colleagues and individuals  that have benefited from Tinhead's research and much shared assistance and Donate to him through Pay Pal.

While others have also freely shared on this forum and others, as an ET I fully realize the time and effort Tinhead has dedicated and been able to share info because of his connections , ( or at times his Dis-Connections ? ),  with the DSO  manufacture~s.

If one was interested in donating how to do it?
I bought a MSO board from him so I have the info, other than that you might try to PM , ( Private Message ), him.

For those that may wonder, other than using his DSO Mod info,,,No, I do not work for or am I associated with anything Tinhead does.
I am just Thankful he has shared the info.

Respectfully, Fet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1394 on: September 25, 2012, 12:57:16 pm »

just saw this, so had a look at the Voltcraft DSO-3062C  hw1007 version
there is a hole in the plastic of the case for the DB25 socket in the front panel, but there is a metal shield behind it, is the clearing between those enough to install the DB25 socket ?

edit: ha, having second look at http://www.tekwayins.com/pic/201202080007.jpg it measn you need to cut you're own hole in the metal to mount the db25... hum..

right, but the metal frame is behind front panel, so you don't need to worry about "the quality" of the cut.
So for Hantek/Voltraft owners not a big deal, for Tekway owners a bit more work as they have no hole
in the Frontpanel. Still not tragic, but yeah, additional step.

and what's up with those unpopulated phone/mic things next to the rear USB port? where are they used for in other models? :)
I also don't see any models with a second front usb port, anyway, info about that must be buried most likely somewhere here in the thread :)
a few ppl here (e.g. Jane two postings above) bought these BM/BMV models, so they can answer you if there is
the mic/phone populated. The second USB port, well, it is not only question of changed USB driver but also additional menu
in the firmware to allow port switching (client/host), and i seems HanTekway have not ime for such extras :)

Offline Polossatik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1395 on: September 25, 2012, 02:00:19 pm »
cheers Tinhead, you've got a PM :)

by the way:

views of top threads: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?action=stats

changing the rigol DS1052E to DS1102E using USB , the dummy guide  ->    199352
Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free                           ->    194373

you're closing in :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 03:55:51 pm by Polossatik »
Real Circuit design time in minutes= (2 + Nscopes) Testim + (40 +120 Kbrewski) Nfriends

Testim = estimated time in minutes Nscopes= number of oscilloscopes present Kbrewski = linear approx of the nonlinear beer effect Nfriends = number of circuit design friends present

Offline tlu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1396 on: September 30, 2012, 06:10:31 pm »
After reading the thread, I feel the hantek ds05062b would be a nice dso over owon sds7102 and rigol ds1102e. Anyone feels owon will change their firmware as they have excellent hardware but crappy UI.

Thanks,
Tim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1397 on: October 01, 2012, 08:58:08 am »
what a pain, Extech is now selling "B/BV series" Hantek Handhelds (that's these based on the same architecture as
the benchtops int his thread) - where Extech MS6060 is Hantek DST1062BV, and so on.

So far nothing new with Extech, but look at the price:

http://www.extech.com/instruments/product.asp?catid=16&prodid=694
http://www.extech.com/instruments/product.asp?catid=16&prodid=695
http://www.extech.com/instruments/product.asp?catid=16&prodid=696

I would say, before you buy one from Extech, buy 2+pcs from Hantek, hehe.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:32:21 pm by tinhead »

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1398 on: October 01, 2012, 11:54:27 am »
I would say, before you buy from Extech but 2+pcs from Hante, hehe.

But, but, but, Extech is soooo ISO9000 certified. That is for sure worth the higher price ... *ducks and runs*
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline tlu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1399 on: October 01, 2012, 05:56:42 pm »
Hi Tinhead,

I saw there is also the Hantek DSO5062B, BM, and BMV model. Reading up on them the BM has an extra 1M memory and the BMV has the extra memory and video help as well. Do you know if both of the latter models are hackable to 200mhz with your method? I wouldn't mind the extra memory but do you know what the video does for BMV model?

Thanks,
Tim

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf