Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2800991 times)

Smokey and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Johnny10

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #2150 on: October 19, 2016, 09:58:31 am »
VK5RC.  10Mhz Now you can measure waveforms ...
WITH TUBES !!

More tubes to check out with the uTracer !

FIVE DOLLARS !!!

Tektronix TDS7104, DMM4050, HP 3561A, HP 35665, Tek 2465A, HP8903B, DSA602A, Tek 7854, 7834, HP3457A, Tek 575, 576, 577 Curve Tracers, Datron 4000, Datron 4000A, DOS4EVER uTracer, HP5335A, EIP534B 20GHz Frequency Counter, TrueTime Rubidium, Sencore LC102, Tek TG506, TG501, SG503, HP 8568B

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #2151 on: October 19, 2016, 02:09:13 pm »
When are iPhone users going to realize the phone is suppose to be held sideways for taking pictures and videos.

Sorry but that is one of my pet peeves.
Sue AF6LJ

The following users thanked this post: deephaven, bitseeker, Cubdriver

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2152 on: October 19, 2016, 02:16:44 pm »
When are iPhone users going to realize the phone is suppose to be held sideways for taking pictures and videos.

Bigger peeve is what my wife does: Starts recording a video (on digital camera) in portrait mode and swaps to landscape after a few seconds. Impossible to watch on any device.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline ProBang2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2153 on: October 19, 2016, 04:19:47 pm »

What do you expect? They have bought an iPhone...

This should go more viral:

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #2154 on: October 19, 2016, 04:31:47 pm »

I think part of the problem is that you get so used to holding the damned thing vertically that it becomes natural.  That's one of my pet peeves as well, but several times I've found myself starting to record video in portrait too.  I typically realize pretty quickly, think 'ahh crap!' and then get to stop and restart in the correct orientation.  I wish when they played back video recorded in portrait mode that they'd simply letterbox it rather than having the blurred sides that are normally shown.  I find those to be very distracting as the movement keeps drawing my attention away from the main video to try to make sense of what's happening in the blur, despite knowing that it's simply a blurred version of what I'm watching in the center.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline canibalimao

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2155 on: October 19, 2016, 04:41:12 pm »

If that was just a problem with iPhone users... I just lost my mind when I see videos on youtube filme with phone vertically. Just can't deal with it.
It's very hard for me to understand why people seems to forget how TVs and monitors in general are used. The only justification I have for those who film vertically is they're using one of these:

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
« Reply #2156 on: October 20, 2016, 04:43:11 am »

I've been a user of SLR cameras since 1986 or so, both film and digital, and I take still photos both ways.  The normal way to photograph individuals is in portrait (groups typically in landscape, but it varies).  It depends on what you are shooting.
Have You Been Triggered Today?

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2157 on: October 20, 2016, 05:01:44 am »
I think they somehow think that if the screen auto rotates and fills the screen then the camera picture will too. Gross :--
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #2158 on: October 20, 2016, 05:14:20 pm »

I've been a user of SLR cameras since 1986 or so, both film and digital, and I take still photos both ways.  The normal way to photograph individuals is in portrait (groups typically in landscape, but it varies).  It depends on what you are shooting.
Photos are one thing, We change the aspect ratio to fit the composition.
And YES it's not just iPhone users...
Thankfully many smart, and feature phone makers put the shutter button in the correct place for a right handed person to orientate the phone and take a video.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline richfiles

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2159 on: October 21, 2016, 03:59:50 am »
I bought an additional pair of International Instruments 1251 Dual Edgewise analog meters for my Kerbal Space Program controller build. i previously had 4 GE 180 single edgewise meters, and 3 of the 1251 meters. Due to a minor issue where a meter and a steel support bar won't cooperate in occupying the same space (pesky laws of physics...  ::) ), I discovered that I didn't have quite as much room as I had originally hoped. I ditched the 4 single meters for 2 double meters. That clears the extra space needed, and all around makes life simple for me. Bonus points, i got them for half the going average price on ebay, and they are the backlit models on top of that! I've had to mod all my other meters to be backlit (Dremel, polycarbonate, and a hot air rework station to heat and shape the poly to create a new translucent scale). Nice to not have to do that with these!

Replaced the incandescent bulbs with "aqua" blue-green LEDs to mimic the feel of EL illumination. I just formed the leads into a spiral that would screw into the lamp sockets to take the photo. Eventually, I'll have a small segment of proto board with the aqua LEDs, but also some dim red and yellow LEDs as well. I want to edge the color a little tiny bit closer to white, while also leaving just enough red and yellow wavelength light in the mix to let a red and a yellow bar on the scales light up correctly. The scales will be modeled after similar meters used in the Apollo spacecraft.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 05:52:33 am by richfiles »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2160 on: October 21, 2016, 07:41:42 pm »
That cyan LED simulation of EL lighting is a neat idea.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: richfiles

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2161 on: October 21, 2016, 11:19:49 pm »
I bought this Brymen BM829S DMM. It looks and works nice. I have to check all the functions and ranges.
More thoughts are coming later.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2162 on: October 23, 2016, 08:41:48 am »
I do occasionally work on cars, having two driving age offspring at home, I've been looking for a replacement for my 1980s KMart set of sockets (believe it or not, they weren't too bad).

I was wondering which brand would last me the rest of my wrenching days and started having a look and read about the Bahco sets and bought one - the S106 here in Australia.

Thanks, roffvald.

Not exactly electronics, but occasionally need these tools to access electronics :P

Picked up a Bahco Socket set (S910)

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/bahco-s910-91-piece-socket-set-1-4-inch-1-2-inch-and-dynamic-drive-p14019
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2163 on: October 23, 2016, 08:45:56 am »
You do know the Bahco brand is from the Swedish Sandvik company ?
They've been around for decades and make very fine steels.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #2164 on: October 23, 2016, 10:58:08 am »
Looking at some Volt-Nutish behaviour, my shed is all over the place in terms of temperature, I liked the look of these  when Dave showed his some while back.
Will act as a first level temperature control. WIll have another box with thermostat inside. ……...or 2 …… or 3   ……..arrrrggghhhh. :scared:
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #2165 on: October 23, 2016, 03:27:02 pm »
One of these "way too expensive for what it is but I could never be bothered to do a proper one myself" kind of things:
http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/en/product/123980/Test-lead-adapter-PG-plug-4-mm-socket-PG-connector-scoop-proof-VOLTCRAFT-SMA-10-Black
Item above is useful, but way too expensive. I have build similar item for myself and added more capabilities:
  • main in/out via socket/plug with cables
  • fused
  • on/off switch
  • polarity switch
  • 3 separate switches to rout L/N/E via multimeter if needed
  • banana sockets for every line
This allows doing almost anything with mains measurement setup safely.

Offline NottheDan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2166 on: October 23, 2016, 07:23:10 pm »
Got an DT830B multimeter thrown in with some other stuff on a purchase. this one has the transistor tester not inbuilt but as an additional plug.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #2167 on: October 24, 2016, 01:18:43 pm »
Some tubing to repair an oscilloscope.
Enough 0.5mm 2B pencil leads to last a lifetime.
A bunch of wire bootlace ferrules. Some of the tray separators had come loose in the mail, so I had an opportunity to roleplay Maxwell's Demon for half an hour. (I really would rather not have.)

Oh, and for lunch today, bought this morning: a long French baguette, philadelphia cream cheese, Tasmanian Camembert, and a $10 section of real Danish salami. And then a goanna ate it. Ha ha, really. Went on day walk with friend, when we got to the place we sat for a while chatting, packs open to have snacks. Then we went for a walk in the vicinity, and though I put my food back in my pack, I didn't secure the pack well. When we got back, my gear was strewn around, everything ripped open. It ate ALL the cream cheese, most of the camembert, all but a little section of the baguette, and all of another half loaf of bread. Only took a chunk out of the Danish, which makes me doubt the goanna's culinary taste, since that salami is delicious. Though he left me enough for a meal, so that's something.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 01:41:16 pm by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #2168 on: October 24, 2016, 01:39:19 pm »
While waiting for my laundry to be done, I went to the electronic store nearby and bought some things: Isopropyl Alcohol for cleaning, Ice Spray, Lan/USB/BNC cables, some transistors/diodes, two divider networks for multimeters with a tolerance of 0.5%(9M, 900k, 90k, 9k, 1k), three 10mOhm 1% Shunts from Isabellenhütte and this board with a hv transformer in a can, where I don't know what it is for.

Around 8:00 am, I received my hobbyking parcel I waited a long time foir, because after I ordered the parts the Lipo battery suddenly wasn't available anymore. I got a akku doctor, a Accucel 6 80W charger, the temp sensor for it, it battery itself, some lipo bags and XT-60 connectors. All this so I con solder something when I'm not at home or when I'm going back to my "home town", aka birth town. The charger is smaller and lighter then my Ultramat 16 and therefor good for traveling.

Edit:
I also bought a W530 along with a 512GB SSD and a 1TB WD Red to put in the ultrabay HDD caddy. Just some things to start university :D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 01:44:02 pm by Rbastler »
http://rbastlerblog.jimdo.com/
Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

Offline razberik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2169 on: October 24, 2016, 08:24:05 pm »
Not exactly purchase, but I received today a LT mug from Mr. Engelhardt on LTspice presentation !
Such a nice and clever person.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2170 on: October 24, 2016, 10:06:27 pm »
So good that i need this 2nd one

Offline pelule

• Frequent Contributor
  • What is business? It’s other people’s money
« Reply #2171 on: October 24, 2016, 10:37:07 pm »
With the time I collected 3 of them. Time to time I think, it may not enough.
You will learn something new every single day

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2172 on: October 24, 2016, 11:57:53 pm »
While waiting for my laundry to be done, I went to the electronic store nearby ...

That probably deserves its own thread! Useful geo-location of shops to suit an engineer. What the heck... I'll do it.  :)
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #2173 on: October 25, 2016, 11:23:34 am »
As a Retro HP guy I thought this looked like a bit of fun;  re reading my post I am not sure if I am retro HP or retro guy, probably both ::)
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Falkra

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2174 on: October 25, 2016, 03:34:01 pm »
With the time I collected 3 of them. Time to time I think, it may not enough.
Same here, i got three 87V. good prices on eBay, working fine... you never got enough of them.  :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf