Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2800983 times)

Smokey and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #2175 on: October 27, 2016, 05:22:42 am »
HP 8091A 1 GHz rate gen with 8092A delay gen and two 8093A output modules. I don't really need it but it was $40.00 plus shipping. Kind of fun to generate square waves to 1 GHz, rise/fall times are under 300 ps at all frequencies according to the specs. Without a much higher frequency scope I can't verify.
It was sold as-is and needed a little TLC. The power supply bulb was dead, replaced it with an LED. The power switch was sticky - cleaned it. The main rate adjust 10 turn pot was broken, replaced that. The Delay module still needs some TLC, it works to delay the signal properly but the divide by 2 option does not work. Everything else seems to be just fine. I was quite surprised to find it has no fan in it, I didn't know HP made anything back in the day without at least one fan :)

My DSOX3014A modded to 500 MHz does a nice job displaying a 100 MHz square.
VE7FM

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #2176 on: October 27, 2016, 08:40:04 am »
A new old toy, Advantest TR2114 multi-thermometer.  :)

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2177 on: October 30, 2016, 04:19:12 am »
This little holder to keep accessory cables organized. The thing is rubbery and fairly heavy, I just put it on top of the computer. Very useful. Before the cables dangled all over the place (the other ends are plugged into USB ports at the back of the computer).

Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Faith

• Supporter
« Reply #2178 on: October 31, 2016, 06:59:22 am »
After six weeks of waiting for delivery from Keysight and right in the middle of me moving house (I'm always lucky :P)...

Sitting on the floor since it's going to be another week or two before my new benches arrive.

These power supplies don't seem to be very popular though.

I purchased them for their small form factor (and I will use them stacked as pictured) along with their accurate low-current measurements.

<3 ~Faith~

Offline Sbampato12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2179 on: October 31, 2016, 01:25:04 pm »
After six weeks of waiting for delivery from Keysight and right in the middle of me moving house (I'm always lucky :P)...

Sitting on the floor since it's going to be another week or two before my new benches arrive.

These power supplies don't seem to be very popular though.

I purchased them for their small form factor (and I will use them stacked as pictured) along with their accurate low-current measurements.

Show then powered up later!!

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #2180 on: October 31, 2016, 01:34:07 pm »
Are the shrouded sockets an extra option? I though these E36100 series supplies had the ordinary screw-down binding posts.

Looking lovely, by the way. :D
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #2181 on: October 31, 2016, 04:36:16 pm »
From local surplus store and also sort of electronics parts recycler, all used though, scored a 10 Amps Corcom EMI filter, and 3 RF flange mount 50 ohm resistors, all for just about 3 bucks.   :P

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2182 on: October 31, 2016, 07:00:43 pm »
Careful of those filters, there are RIFA capacitors inside there, and they also have the same failure mode as the transparent versions, plus the ferrite filters inside can cremate themselves and short out.

Offline Faith

• Supporter
« Reply #2183 on: November 01, 2016, 03:35:37 am »
Show then powered up later!!

Yep, will do once I have my lab back in order again!~

Are the shrouded sockets an extra option? I though these E36100 series supplies had the ordinary screw-down binding posts.

Looking lovely, by the way. :D

Yep, they're a no-cost option if you can tolerate the four to six week order time.

I much prefer them over the screw-on binding posts since I have tons of cables with shrouded banana plugs on both ends.

So what I do is I just leave a set of cables permanently attached to the power supplies, then if I need to plug them into a breadboard I can do so with ease. Or if I need to connect them to bare wires or directly into any component I have alligator clips which can plug into the shrouded banana plugs.

With this arrangement I can always have the cables ready and easy to access for most of what I do.
<3 ~Faith~

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #2184 on: November 01, 2016, 07:59:47 am »
Careful of those filters, there are RIFA capacitors inside there, and they also have the same failure mode as the transparent versions, plus the ferrite filters inside can cremate themselves and short out.

Thanks, noted.  :-+ But I remembered the seller has other that is cracked open at the bottom, maybe I will take a peek on what caps inside on next visit.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2185 on: November 01, 2016, 10:02:15 am »

How did they pass CSA and RU (Recognized UL parts) certifications?

When new, electrically, those filters worked as specified, and passed testing just fine.. They fail after some time, sometimes years.. Components deteriorate, and then they fail.. But unlike some other that just don't filter that good any more, these guys go in a blaze of glory, explosions and such...  Hence the infamy...

I don't think new ones do that anymore, for some years, but old ones were lemons.. So on old used equipment, preventive replacement is recommended...

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #2186 on: November 01, 2016, 04:42:14 pm »
Another step towards making decent test leads, *without* all the ridiculous excess safety frills and too-small wire gauge of commercial ones. The really nice wire I found a while ago, described here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-leads-recommendation/msg981058/#msg981058

I had a small packet of old simple, small  4mm bare banana plugs, but no way to get more of the same. Hadn't been having any success finding a bulk source of nice small 4mm banana plugs, until recently these turned up:
  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/IMC-Hot-4mm-Inside-Dia-Male-Female-Banana-Plug-Bullet-Replacement-10-Pairs/32339136046.html

I had actually only wanted the plugs, but they come in M-F pairs. Which does mean you can make banana extension leads.
These are nice! They make a very firm contact, definitely not going to pull out accidentally. Also they wet with solder easily. I don't know if that gold-colored plating it actually gold, but it seems OK. And they are cheap.

Now, for probe bodies and right angle male banana plug bodies, a bit more than heatshrink tubing is needed.
Hmm, if only I had a 3D printer....

Oh wait, I do. Or will, when it arrives. Ordered this one yesterday:
  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-Free-shiping-Flyingbear-DIY-3d-Printer-kit-Full-metal-Large-printing-size-High-Quality-Precision/32677798453.html
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 04:45:11 pm by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #2187 on: November 01, 2016, 04:57:24 pm »
That style of banana/bullet connector is very common in the RC industry. You can find all kinds of variations at hobbyking.com
VE7FM

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #2188 on: November 02, 2016, 01:21:22 am »
That style of banana/bullet connector is very common in the RC industry. You can find all kinds of variations at hobbyking.com

Yep, many types and sizes. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/catalogsearch/result/?q=connectors
They even have that exact one: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/4mm-gold-connectors-10-pairs-20pc.html

However that's the only 4mm one that is long enough to be banana jack compatible. Also Hobbyking are more expensive, and will charge postage (which I can't get their site to estimate for me, for some reason.)
So I'm happy getting them from Aliexpress for 22c/pair, free shipping.

Speaking of inline connectors, those Solar MC4 Connectors are cheap, waterproof and rated to 1000V. Ordered some of them too.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-Pairs-Lot-Solar-MC4-Connector-TUV-MC4-self-release-plug-PV-Connector-For-PV-Junction/32262840849.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.giffjx
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #2189 on: November 02, 2016, 10:32:21 am »
Rack for stuff, bit industrial but nice and strong.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #2190 on: November 02, 2016, 12:12:21 pm »
Fluke 8808A 5.5 digit multimeter (about 350USD including EMS from Japan)

:)

The following users thanked this post: TiN

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #2191 on: November 02, 2016, 12:25:05 pm »
Nice unit.
Teardown coming? :)
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #2192 on: November 02, 2016, 12:59:10 pm »
Nice unit.
Teardown coming? :)

No, my best camera is just a iPhone 6 plus, so I think I couldn't do anything better than what I have found on your website.

Yes, if you are interesting in any details that you can't find in your pictures, I will .......  ;D

https://doc.xdevs.com/doc/Fluke/8808A/photo/

Offline Falkra

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2193 on: November 02, 2016, 02:04:12 pm »
Fluke 8808A 5.5 digit multimeter (about 350USD including EMS from Japan)

:)
Very nice display, like new.  :-+

Offline NottheDan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2194 on: November 02, 2016, 05:44:58 pm »
My first oscilloscope, a Rigol DS1052E.

Offline Skimask

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2195 on: November 03, 2016, 05:41:10 am »
Picked up a nice used 4 wheeler with a snow plow last friday and 2 other basket cases a week before that.
Not electronic, but a guy has to be well rounded ya know...
I didn't take it apart.
I turned it on.

The only stupid question is, well, most of them...

Save a fuse...Blow an electrician.

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2196 on: November 03, 2016, 06:19:20 am »

No, my best camera is just a iPhone 6 plus, so I think I couldn't do anything better than what I have found on your website.
You can take good pictures with a smartphone. I have done all of mine with a GS3. You will need to work on lighting, and have a steady hand(You can cheat on this, but the camera needs to be steady.)
Atleast I think I have gotten better at camera phone photography...
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2197 on: November 03, 2016, 06:24:55 am »
Got a Pearl Gecko development kit. Supposedly ultra low power and good support and documentation. Anyone uses it?

Offline Falkra

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2198 on: November 03, 2016, 06:29:50 am »
I got this DC millivolt reference source from Time electronics. Good for some calibration stuff. Like new.

Offline FlyingHacker

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #2199 on: November 03, 2016, 06:44:26 am »
A couple of real nice Bell System branded meters. These are actually based on the Simpson 260 and Triplett 630. Great meters!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf