Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2800995 times)

Smokey and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #2425 on: January 01, 2017, 12:51:36 am »
@bitseeker and s&d; always a bit of a punt, a quick google before purchase did not find any common dead unobtanium issues, just usual power supply / filter caps,  one unit has a dead CPU board - the CPU (Motorola 6902) still appears to be doing something - ? could be the PROM, but I know nothing of 1980s microprocessors.

Unfortunately, I'm not that familiar with that model. The only Keithley's I have so far are a 228A, a 196 and a 2700. If there isn't one already, maybe make a thread about it to see who else has one for more info, compare ROM contents, etc.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: VK5RC

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2426 on: January 01, 2017, 12:54:44 am »
Just got and put together one of those $20 ESR kits. Seems to work great although even after the self calibration it seems to read WAY low on capacitors.

Perhaps the fuses are set incorrectly. If you haven't already, post in the mega-thread on that ESR tester. Several folks there will be able to get you squared away.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2427 on: January 01, 2017, 07:41:12 pm »
 Yeah I've been following that. Since it's one with a DIP ATMega328, I can pop it out and check the settings as mentioned in that thread. It appears my problem is similar to one of the latest posts over there, and would make some sense based on the values it returns (ie, how far they are off vs what would be wrong with the fuse settings for the clock speed).

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2428 on: January 01, 2017, 08:16:42 pm »
Let's make some solder paste stencils

« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 12:54:25 am by ebclr »

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #2429 on: January 01, 2017, 08:54:42 pm »
Let's make some solder paste stencials
Can those things really make very small rectangular (or even round) holes of the scale used for solder masks?  Does it use a swivel knife?

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #2430 on: January 01, 2017, 09:35:13 pm »
a purchase from 2015!  like to get more but-  :(
this two 2015 100 PCE & 30 PCE Chinese screwdriver bit sets, has gaps in the philips, torx, sizes. see-
like to see More Bits in screwdriver bit sets. with the smallest to the largest by type. also long stems if its ok.  ;D

message for Chinese. \/
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 09:45:51 pm by jonovid »
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline Inflex

• Regular Contributor
    • Charters Towers Phone & Computer Repairs
« Reply #2431 on: January 01, 2017, 11:20:25 pm »
Can those things really make very small rectangular (or even round) holes of the scale used for solder masks?  Does it use a swivel knife?

They do a pretty good job, the *hard* part is actually the process in creating it.  I found I had to reprogram the HPGL generation so that it does 3~4 passes and also had to be done on a adhesive-tape backed mylar or poly sheet (I found 0.012" to be decent thickness as I recall).

I've written a few OpenSource tools to help with the job in Linux, not sure about Windows though.

http://pldaniels.com/dxf-hpgl
http://pldaniels.com/hpgl-dxf
http://pldaniels.com/hpgl-distiller

I could have sworn I had a video of the cutter doing the process but cannot seem to find it on my YouTube channel at the moment, might have to create a new one and upload.

Magicsmoke abuser | What I repair daily on YouTube | FlexBV
- BoardView
| Paul Daniels

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #2432 on: January 02, 2017, 09:25:36 pm »
Yes. Swivel knife.

There are a selection of open source tools around these days to help out creating your stencil. I bought one a couple of years ago to dick around with, but I haven't actually done anything other than that yet. I think there are a couple of (old) threads around here talking about them.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #2433 on: January 04, 2017, 03:49:21 am »
Some stuff arrived. Sets of boards for an arduino 3D stepper-driver code development system (identical to the set in my 3D printer.) Also some LiIon battery charge management, over-discharge protection and DC-DC converters.

While testing the display unit, I realized something about the 3D printer boards. See the last 2 photos. The two board sets match each other, but... Can you spot it?

It's no big deal, unless you want to interchange other supposedly identical boards into the set in the printer. Like temporarily for testing the other boards.  Glad I'm well aware of this trap from past experience, so always check before plugging in and powering up.

Ultimately this mistake can be laid at the feet of whoever did the PCB layout of the LCD board. It didn't occur to them that people may want to use right angle IDC connectors, so they didn't get the pin orientation and silkscreen correct for such connectors. Or, someone soldered in the wrong version connectors...
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline japasetelagoas

• Regular Contributor
  • Just an ordinary electronics hobbyist.
« Reply #2434 on: January 04, 2017, 10:04:53 am »
message for Chinese. \/

Machine translated Chinese is just as incomprehensible as machine translated English (from Chinese), if not more.

Would you recommend a good alternative other than actually learning Chinese?

Thanks.
The endless river...

Offline slicendice

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2435 on: January 04, 2017, 11:27:31 am »
message for Chinese. \/

Machine translated Chinese is just as incomprehensible as machine translated English (from Chinese), if not more.

Would you recommend a good alternative other than actually learning Chinese?

Thanks.

Get someone to do that for you.

We are way off topic now.  :)

But if you purchase a translator with a soul, feel free to post the pic here. And don't forget to add a bit of performance specs, so we know what we get if we ever buy similar ones.  ;D

Offline MarginallyStable

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2436 on: January 05, 2017, 04:04:49 am »
Got this Eshed Scorbot VII from a local college surplus auction.

Offline JustSquareEnough

• Supporter
« Reply #2437 on: January 05, 2017, 04:22:43 am »
hakko fx888d.  my first real soldering station.

Offline 6581

• Supporter
« Reply #2438 on: January 05, 2017, 06:16:53 am »
hakko fx888d.  my first real soldering station.

Mine too. Been using it for a while and it does the job very well. Very satisfied with it. First the UI seemed pretty bad - and it is - but if you're like me and use two or max three preselected temps, it's actually easy and quick to use. Love the compact design and bright colours. Did you get any extra tips?

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2439 on: January 05, 2017, 11:44:24 am »
Received a pile of test leads for the logic analyzer / bread board etc.

$12 odd for 120 leads in total. Quality looks good, I was expecting crap,  but they seem fine.
I know you can get them cheaper but I prefer to buy from stock in Oz if I can.

Got them from here:   http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181863972798

There was a card in the package for monsterelectronics.com.au so I guess he's got a little more than an ebay shop.

PS: It would be useful if folk could post a link to where they purchased their latest item from and what they paid.
I reckon there's some value in doing that.

Offline 6581

• Supporter
« Reply #2440 on: January 05, 2017, 02:12:45 pm »
Also got the same bunch of jumpers some weeks ago - but from AliExpress - quite a bit cheaper but it's a great idea to support shops closer to you.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/120pcs-20cm-male-male-male-female-and-female-jumper-wire-Dupont-cable-for-Arduino/1185416_1728903423.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.bOInod

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2441 on: January 05, 2017, 02:57:38 pm »
Undoubtedly the same ones. Quite a bit cheaper too.
I'm old school and (falsely) believe buying them in my own country will be safer or more reliable and quicker.

I definitely need to spend more time on Ali Express.

Offline TechnicalBen

• Contributor
« Reply #2442 on: January 05, 2017, 04:24:58 pm »
Nothing special. Just a sharp ir ranger. But I want to make something special with it.

Offline Rémi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2443 on: January 05, 2017, 08:41:24 pm »
Finally got a good set of screwdrivers.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #2444 on: January 06, 2017, 03:41:59 am »
new  220V AC 180W chinese mini drill.
no need to change tips.  ^-^ as can keep a cutter on one, and a grinding tip on the other mini drill.
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2445 on: January 06, 2017, 07:13:11 am »
Finally got a good set of screwdrivers.
Nice.  :-+

I've a lot of Wiha (electronics sizes & profiles), but I like PB Swiss even better which make up all of my standard size screwdrivers (use the heck out of the PH#2).  >:D Specifically, I've a full set of Phillips & Slotted  with different grips to help ID them (Classic series for the slotted <1 - 6>, Multi-craft for the Phillips <00 - 3>). My slotted are even pre-etched S/N's, and they're still like new.   :-+ Someday I'll replace the Wiha's I've for the common sizes used for electronics. I just wish they offered more profiles for electronics series than they currently do.  :'(

Although not cheap, they're made well enough they're worth the $$$ they go for IME (of course, I've gotten mine from EU sellers, which are cheaper than US sources  >:D).

Offline NottheDan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2446 on: January 07, 2017, 03:50:59 pm »
Picked up two parcels from the post office today. One small drill from China with an interesting sender address, inclusive death-daptor and dodgy PSU.
The other contained a milli and a microammeter. One even had the old battery still sealed in plastic.

Oh, and a new set of tyres for the car.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2447 on: January 07, 2017, 04:20:35 pm »
Who is the seller of the drill, looks nice, and would be good to get another small one.

Offline NottheDan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2448 on: January 07, 2017, 05:03:12 pm »
Who is the seller of the drill, looks nice, and would be good to get another small one.
I got mine from the seller x-web-top on ebay but there are so many other sellers for them there. I haven't tried it out yet but it is very easy to mod. The top and bottom of the aluminium housing can be easily unscrewed and there's nothing more in there but the motor, the switch and the socket

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2449 on: January 07, 2017, 05:41:33 pm »
I got mine from the seller x-web-top on ebay but there are so many other sellers for them there. I haven't tried it out yet but it is very easy to mod. The top and bottom of the aluminium housing can be easily unscrewed and there's nothing more in there but the motor, the switch and the socket

The usual does not ship bla bla, but I see the others....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf