Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2801008 times)

jhenderson0107 and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline djos

• Supporter
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #2575 on: January 31, 2017, 11:16:15 pm »

My Roomba now goes into the big pile of things waiting to be repaired... ;)
Thanks!

If you want a smarter bot for your house, grab a new Neato BotVac model with WiFi, no more random bouncing around a couple of rooms, they actually vacuum your whole house, every square inch.... Oh and they have lasers!  ;D

Roomba's are great for a single area and not much else imho. That said, they are great for workshops because there's so little to to go wrong with them and they are dam easy to maintain. 8)

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #2576 on: February 02, 2017, 03:35:12 am »
Keysight (Agilent) 34411A
It is 10 years old but was never used. I had a peak inside and there isn't a spec of dust, the fan is also spotless.
Kudo's to Agilent for the type of sticker they put on the top of the unit. After 10 years it still peeled off just fine without leaving anything behind.
The calibration is spot on - I can't believe there has been pretty much no drift after 10 years.
Oh how I love ebay sometimes...
VE7FM

Offline mmagin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2577 on: February 02, 2017, 05:09:27 am »
It is 10 years old but was never used. I had a peak inside and there isn't a spec of dust, the fan is also spotless.

Somewhere I'd gotten the impression that when HP removed the fan in later serial numbers of the 3456A, this was because they'd learned that it was best to not have a fan in a precision voltmeter, but I guess 15 years later they'd forgotten that.   :wtf:   Not really picking on this one in particular, just that I've been noticing that a lot of 5.5-7.5 digit multimeters of the past 15 years DO have fans, and that seemed dumb.  (Drafts near temperature sensitive parts, leaving dust particles on the sensitive analog board, etc.)

(Though I guess the 3458A has a fan, so I dunno what to think of that.  And I am a newbie in understanding the design of high resolution multimeters)

Offline razberik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2578 on: February 02, 2017, 08:04:10 am »
Yeah, thats when somebody returns 34410A on lend to my office I say "Meh, no, this is not the lab it belongs, try another door". I prefer my silent ancient 3478A instead.
Or shall I convict my boss to buy me 34401A (until they dry out) or Kei2000 ? ;D

34401A in my home lab is the best DMM ever for me I ever had.
If I were in situation when I dont have any DMM and I coudnt buy 34401A (or K2000) I would rather have no DMM.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 08:12:24 am by razberik »

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2579 on: February 02, 2017, 09:26:35 am »
Kudo's to Agilent for the type of sticker they put on the top of the unit. After 10 years it still peeled off just fine without leaving anything behind.
The calibration is spot on - I can't believe there has been pretty much no drift after 10 years.
Congratulations.
The 34411A is one of the best meters ever produced in this price class and the calibration usually does not drift much at all over the years. That is why you also can read out a useful 7th digit over the bus system.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #2580 on: February 02, 2017, 10:53:17 am »
Small parts in a bunch of plastic bags, one per bag. Yeah, I love any manufacturer for doing this so much :-(
And one of these funny automated English to German translations (the correct term would be "Pegelwandler")
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 11:00:08 am by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2581 on: February 02, 2017, 04:52:13 pm »

Congrats, Steve. I wondered who snagged it.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mmagin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2582 on: February 02, 2017, 05:39:23 pm »
I got some surplus teflon turret terminals.  Hoping to put together a fairly decent Hamon divider with some of the antique (probably 1950s-1960s?) IRC precision wirewound resistors I bought a bunch of a long time ago.

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2583 on: February 02, 2017, 06:34:07 pm »
Few thinks from eBay :)

Offline JustSquareEnough

• Supporter
« Reply #2584 on: February 03, 2017, 02:52:23 am »
picked up a second one to complete my beginner need's.  can measure voltage and current at the same time now... 8)

got this one via amazon prime, came in two days as expected...  Ill wait to see what Dave is cooking up with the new meter before I go to a third (that's the plan any how  ;D)

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #2585 on: February 03, 2017, 08:07:37 am »
$86 worth of stainless steel, to make a vent through the wall to outside. For an air extraction system for the lab.

I'd been putting it off, trying to work out some complicated way of going into the wall cavity then up to the eaves and out there. All to avoid cutting a hole through the outside brick wall.
Finally reached the 'f*ck it, cut the bricks' stage.

Naturally there's a nogging right where I want to cut through the plaster.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2586 on: February 05, 2017, 05:48:13 pm »
Long thinking about this item because its not so cheap but price vs items are so good :)
After few cigarette's and googling I bought it :D
I hope it's good choice :)

Offline Nx-1997

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2587 on: February 05, 2017, 05:59:28 pm »
A GW Instek GDM-8251A 120,000 Counts Dual Display Multimeter. Not bad for this price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142225558095

Offline NottheDan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2588 on: February 05, 2017, 06:56:24 pm »
A Sinclair DM235 in its original box with the plastic case slightly crumbled in transport and the original batteries leaking a bit and a Unilab Voltmeter. I just love this kind of educational equipment and it has such a nice solid feel to it. Probably due to the solid extruded aluminium case.  ;)

Unfortunately it seems to need a bit of tender love to get it back into full working order. Does anybody know where one can get a service manual for that device?

I had it half disassembled for a first look before I noticed I don't have the right tools at hand to continue, so I can only show a photo of the PCB backside.

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2589 on: February 05, 2017, 07:39:57 pm »
Nice. I got the successor to that (a Thurlby DMM in the same chassis) recently but yhe batteries had leaked and eaten the board :(

Offline netdudeuk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2590 on: February 05, 2017, 07:54:58 pm »
A Sinclair DM235 in its original box with the plastic case slightly crumbled in transport and the original batteries leaking a bit and a Unilab Voltmeter. I just love this kind of educational equipment and it has such a nice solid feel to it. Probably due to the solid extruded aluminium case.  ;)

Unfortunately it seems to need a bit of tender love to get it back into full working order. Does anybody know where one can get a service manual for that device?

I had it half disassembled for a first look before I noticed I don't have the right tools at hand to continue, so I can only show a photo of the PCB backside.

Interesting multimeter.

I would be interested in what people think about putting a thousand volts into it though.

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2591 on: February 05, 2017, 08:53:18 pm »
1kv isn't a whole lot of volts really. It doesn't get interesting until it can jump more than about 5mm in air.

Offline NottheDan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2592 on: February 05, 2017, 08:55:52 pm »
1kv isn't a whole lot of volts really. It doesn't get interesting until it can jump more than about 5mm in air.
And make sweet sweet music?

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #2593 on: February 06, 2017, 05:32:16 am »
A Sinclair DM235 in its original box...
Does anybody know where one can get a service manual for that device?

Try searching  antiqueradios.com  forums for the DM235 manuals

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2594 on: February 06, 2017, 07:28:22 am »
Two new books!

Cool Tools is a looks like a great book, it's like the practical web in a catalogue format. It should appeal to makers, tinkerers, repairers and man-cave inhabitants. Each article is accompanied by a QR Code to let you jump to that instance on the WWW. It is a distilled hard copy version of Kevin Kelly's website... http://kk.org/cooltools/
Sort of reminds me of those huge clothing pattern books my Mum would browse through in the stores.

The Ideas Factory will make a nice diversion from fiction reading in bed.

Thanks to Adam Savage for the intro to Cool Tools and Chris Gammell for his enthusiasm for The Ideas Factory.
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline NottheDan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2595 on: February 06, 2017, 10:22:51 am »
A Sinclair DM235 in its original box...
Does anybody know where one can get a service manual for that device?

Try searching  antiqueradios.com  forums for the DM235 manuals
You snipped the important part. I have the manual for the Sinclair. That was easy to find. I was asking about one for the Unilab.

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2596 on: February 06, 2017, 10:33:51 am »
If it's Unilab it'll be a basic ICL7100 series IC stock circuit with a voltage divider across the front. They never did anything sophisticated really. Most of their skills were in extracting cash from schools :)

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #2597 on: February 06, 2017, 06:36:23 pm »
I took the plunge on one of the GW-Instek DMMs.  The guy selling them for $89 ran out.  There is another seller listing them for $105 plus shipping.  I offered $90 plus the shipping and he accepted.  It should be here on Monday.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/GW-Instek-GDM-8251A-120-000-Counts-Dual-Display-Multimeter-/122343064137?hash=item1c7c370249:g:x08AAOSwImRYY739

edit:  by the way, if anyone wants the manual, I downloaded it here:  https://www.manualslib.com/download/646565/Gw-Instek-Gdm-8200a-Series.html
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 06:40:13 pm by GreyWoolfe »
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Back2Volts

• Supporter
« Reply #2598 on: February 06, 2017, 08:15:09 pm »
Some WERA screwdrivers from KCTOOLS.   Pliers and carbide cutter from manufacturer in Germany.    The magnet holder from eBay.
Thank you to nanofrog for the advise on the pliers.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2599 on: February 07, 2017, 01:44:31 am »
 :o

Came in mail today
Please excuse crude images and the shaky hand. The ruller is really nice, great solder mask and gold plating.
Too bad the PCB-RULLER-ND Digikey part number is a decoy...

Edit: The best gimmick I got ever... :-+
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 01:48:56 am by Bud »
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf