Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2801016 times)

jhenderson0107 and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #2675 on: February 19, 2017, 03:18:56 am »
Incredibly cheap demagnetizer, the line cord is 0.5mm^2, the plug is one of those Chinese plugs that's like a NEMA 1-15 but not quite.  I wouldn't leave it unattended, but it did the job cheaply of demagnetizing my diagonal cutters nicely. 
But demagnetizers aren't designed for continuous operation.  Is there any use case for leaving a demagnetizer operating unattended?  I can't think of any.

Presumably that is like an ordinary transformer, except that it is made of just the "E" laminations and  it is open-ended at the "working end".

Offline mmagin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2676 on: February 19, 2017, 04:04:01 am »
Incredibly cheap demagnetizer, the line cord is 0.5mm^2, the plug is one of those Chinese plugs that's like a NEMA 1-15 but not quite.  I wouldn't leave it unattended, but it did the job cheaply of demagnetizing my diagonal cutters nicely. 
But demagnetizers aren't designed for continuous operation.  Is there any use case for leaving a demagnetizer operating unattended?  I can't think of any.

Presumably that is like an ordinary transformer, except that it is made of just the "E" laminations and  it is open-ended at the "working end".

Well, mostly I meant I don't even really trust the cheap switch to keep things safe if it was left plugged in :)

It is indeed like a transformer but just the E laminations, open to the top of the case.  And I guess the LED indicator is one of the variety that has good reverse voltage tolerance.

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #2677 on: February 21, 2017, 10:52:31 pm »
My new toy - NF WF1946B - arrived this morning, still in calibrated.  :)

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2678 on: February 21, 2017, 11:18:16 pm »
Unless i did not get the joke, it is a useless piece of junk, based on your test.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2679 on: February 21, 2017, 11:34:18 pm »
I ordered a hot plate:

May i challenge you to provide pronunciation of the company name in English  :-DD
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #2680 on: February 21, 2017, 11:50:27 pm »
Unless i did not get the joke, it is a useless piece of junk, based on your test.

I know those zeros looks funny, but the error is less than 1 ppm (assume the Agilent is good enough), still in spec. (less than 5 ppm)

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #2681 on: February 21, 2017, 11:52:51 pm »
I ordered a hot plate:

May i challenge you to provide pronunciation of the company name in English  :-DD

This is for free, listen carefully

You Yue Jing Gong (in Chinese Pinyin)

:-DD

Offline sony mavica

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2682 on: February 21, 2017, 11:55:48 pm »
well not today but the last thing i bought was a

Nokia n-gage refurbished in brand new condition came with 2x batteries and charger for 46.86nzd free shipping
and a 2gb mmc card for it for 3.99nzd free shipping
MORE POWER!

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #2683 on: February 22, 2017, 01:49:21 am »
GW Instek GPC-3020 for $45 USD.  I expect it by Monday.  If it works well, I might get a 2nd.  I don't mind analog meters.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2684 on: February 22, 2017, 05:27:54 am »
GW Instek GPC-3020 for $45 USD.  I expect it by Monday.  If it works well, I might get a 2nd.  I don't mind analog meters.

You will probably like them.  I bought two of them off of Ebay last month and they work rather well so far.  They are larger and heavier than the modern ones.  The datasheet says they are 11.5 kg (25.3 lb) but they are built well.  No flimsy stuff in them.   I have mine set up stacked next to my 2 stacked GPD-3303S supplies.    The 3020's were only $44 delivered when I bought them and they were too good of a deal to pass up.  Now I think I have enough power supplies for a while.  What would be nice is if we could get a service manual or at least schematics for them.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 05:41:52 am by Housedad »
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #2685 on: February 22, 2017, 05:56:15 am »
I bought a white late 2007 MacBook with a few missing parts so I can Frankenstein it together with one I got for free on the weekend. It's a 2.0 ghz core 2 duo with 4 GB ram and a 320 GB hdd. I'll prolly throw in a Samsung 850 evo ssd to give It a Speed boost.

Intel have been so Slack in recent years that the core 2 is as fast as a current i3 for most things.

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2686 on: February 22, 2017, 06:13:42 am »
DAMN IT!!!

now I also have to go to Aldi.... that air compressor looks like it might be useful for light duty, will have to read up on its specs at minimum.

I think I'll be making a trip to aldi next weekend, I need some more component shelves and the little air compressor should meet my minimal needs nicely.

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2687 on: February 22, 2017, 06:22:54 am »
Intel have been so Slack in recent years that the core 2 is as fast as a current i3 for most things.

No way. Core 2 Quad may stand a chance to compete modern i3. Dual core doesn't stand a chance.
According to Cinebench, a 35W i5-520M is as fast as a 90W Core 2 Quad Q6600.
Modern (6-th/7-th gen) 15W i3 processors are as fast as i5-520M.
So, a dual core Core 2 Duo will get ~0.5x the speed of a modern i3U.
You won't get nearly as fast experience as a modern i3 on a dual core Core 2 mobile.

FYI, in Cinebench R15, a Core 2 Duo T7200 (in your Macbook) scores ~120 points, while an i3-6100U scores ~244 points.
The Kaby Lake K series i3 is competitive with the older i5s in multithread benchmarks and completely blows them away in single thread benchmarks. That is before you overclock them 25% to 5 GHz on air cooling.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #2688 on: February 22, 2017, 06:37:59 am »

No way. Core 2 Quad may stand a chance to compete modern i3. Dual core doesn't stand a chance.
You won't get nearly as fast experience as a modern i3 on a dual core Core 2 mobile.

FYI, in Cinebench R15, a Core 2 Duo T7200 (in your Macbook) scores ~120 points, while an i3-6100U scores ~244 points.

Mines got the Core 2 Duo T7300 in it which is very close to the Core i3 3217U in general benchmarks, I'm going to be replacing an atom n450 powered netbook so it'll be twice as fast as what I had.  ;D

My main machine has an i7 Quad Core w/ SMT in it and that does all the grunt work for me.

Offline 6581

• Supporter
« Reply #2689 on: February 22, 2017, 01:41:48 pm »

€8,70 for ten pieces, including shipping. Don't know about quality until they arrive.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/10x-30A-High-Current-M5-4mm-Female-Banana-Jack-Socket-Test-Binding-Post-Welding-Plug-Connector/1955319_32746440982.html

Someone asked for my opinion once I've received these binding posts. Received some time ago - haven't used these yet - but examined and tried with some el cheapo banana plugs. I don't have any brand name known high quality ones to compare with - but in my opinion these are good. Banana plugs which I tried with these fit "just right." Well worth their price. Definitely good enough for my amateur projects / project boxes.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2690 on: February 22, 2017, 05:18:17 pm »
Thanks for the update on those binding posts, 6581.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline gnavigator1007

• Supporter
« Reply #2691 on: February 23, 2017, 06:28:05 pm »
Won this heavy beast today at auction. Not really my kind of toy, but figured a ham might want to buy it from me. Haven't been able to find much info about this model from my searches so far. Anybody know anything about it or where to find documentation?

Offline djos

• Supporter
What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #2692 on: February 23, 2017, 07:06:55 pm »

Mines got the Core 2 Duo T7300 in it which is very close to the Core i3 3217U in general benchmarks, I'm going to be replacing an atom n450 powered netbook so it'll be twice as fast as what I had.  ;D

My main machine has an i7 Quad Core w/ SMT in it and that does all the grunt work for me.

Spares MacBook arrived last night, now frankenstein'd back to life! [emoji3]

I just need to install Windows 7 via bootcamp now.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #2693 on: February 23, 2017, 11:45:46 pm »
Won this heavy beast today at auction. Not really my kind of toy, but figured a ham might want to buy it from me. Haven't been able to find much info about this model from my searches so far. Anybody know anything about it or where to find documentation?
Go est up an account on QRZ.com join the forum and post there...
Someone may be able to tell you what it is....
Sue AF6LJ

The following users thanked this post: gnavigator1007

Offline djos

• Supporter
What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #2694 on: February 25, 2017, 06:07:57 am »
I'm pretty happy with the cheapo aldi air compressor, it even wall mounts (i made a pair of S brackets for it to hang on) plus the hose fitting is industry standard. Beauty!

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2695 on: February 25, 2017, 09:30:34 am »
I just bought this little fellow from Amazon:

http://www.electrobob.com/peaktech-6225a-review/

At least for hobby use, it seems to have an unbeatable price/quality ratio.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #2696 on: February 25, 2017, 10:51:56 am »
I just bought this little fellow from Amazon:

http://www.electrobob.com/peaktech-6225a-review/

At least for hobby use, it seems to have an unbeatable price/quality ratio.

Nice! replacing those ChongX Caps with some quality Wurth Electronic, Panasonic etc caps would be pretty painless too!

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2697 on: February 25, 2017, 11:00:20 am »
Got to give the Chinese their due; they're coming out with some nice equipment for not much cash these days. I can't actually remember anything that was totally crap if I'm honest.

Offline tkuhmone

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2698 on: February 25, 2017, 11:28:48 am »
Got this week my first Erem's - two tweezers. Models with sharp tip (7SA-SL / 1SA-SL)
Timo, OH7HMS

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
« Reply #2699 on: February 27, 2017, 01:13:10 pm »
I wanted to play with some microcontrollers. After some time in checking some, i decided myself for The cypress psoc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf