Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2801022 times)

wkb, jhenderson0107 and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #2800 on: March 14, 2017, 09:53:34 pm »
I'm really going to be the MeterMeister if I ever get all of the damned things up and running!

Just don't turn 'em all on at once or the electricity meter will be the new master of your pocketbook. ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2801 on: March 14, 2017, 09:56:52 pm »
Scored a NOS weapon grade keyboard from local computer warehouse for $10, the legendary buckling spring keyboard.

The seller let it go since he claimed its no longer can be used at today's laptop anymore  >:D, but at that price as it's "branded".  ::)

PS : Anyone know how to clean the heavily tarnished 5 pins of the DIN connector without destroying the plastic housing ? (photo attached)
I thought you could attach a different cable with ps2 connector (purple small din) that should still work with an adapter on usb. Have to search but i thought i still have such a keyboard somewhere.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #2802 on: March 15, 2017, 06:28:28 am »
PS : Anyone know how to clean the heavily tarnished 5 pins of the DIN connector without destroying the plastic housing ? (photo attached)

Have you considered this?
http://thesignalpath.com/blogs/2017/02/01/deoxit-challenge-restoration-of-a-precision-decade-resistor-box/
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #2803 on: March 15, 2017, 09:14:11 am »
Scored a NOS weapon grade keyboard from local computer warehouse for $10, the legendary buckling spring keyboard.

The seller let it go since he claimed its no longer can be used at today's laptop anymore  >:D, but at that price as it's "branded".  ::)

I would probably go with a very lightly abrasive paste like Simchrome or Brasso or toothpaste perhaps inside a piece of just slightly larger insulation - placed over the pin (one at a time)  and spun by hand - then a really good clean with IPA.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #2804 on: March 15, 2017, 09:56:53 am »
And after that, I would verify the cleaning action by running a 4 wire milliOhms measurement across all pins of socket/plug connection. For this solder the leads from the DMM to the respective solder tabs on the plug, respectively socket. Then compare your measurement with the data sheet - which does not give any mOhms contact info.  :palm:  |O
Therefore some of my measurement results on an old and well stored 5 pin DIN connector:
Contact resistance after years of storage (slight oxidation is visible): 35 mOhm
Contact resistance after cleaning with "Kontakt 60" (a popular deoxit fluid in Germany): 7.6 mOhm.

There you go.

Yours - Messtechniker

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 11:18:37 am by Messtechniker »
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #2805 on: March 15, 2017, 10:47:11 am »
I have bought a lot of odd chips the past week:

* AT91SAM9260B-QU 180MHz ARM926EJ-S MPU in QFP-208
* MT48F32M16???? 64MB x16 PC-133 SDR SDRAM in TSOP-56
* K9F2G????? 256MB x8 SLC NAND in TSOP-48
* K9F4G????? 512MB x8 SLC NAND in TSOP-48
* V3s 1.2GHz ARMCortex-A7 MPU with built-in 64MB DDR2 SDRAM in QFP-128
* AXP203 system power management IC for V3s in QFN-48
* LM3671MF-1.8 1.8V synchronous buck converter in SOT23-5
* M80C88 16-bit MPU, along with the full IBM PC XT chipset, in DIP
* IS61C256AH-12 SRAM in TSOP-28, a lot of them
* SN74HC138 decoder in TSOP-16

So I basically bought parts for three SBC: an ARM926EJ-S one with 64MB RAM and 512MB NAND and 4MB NOR, a Cortex-A7 one with 64MB RAM and 16MB NOR, as well as an IBM PC XT clone with 1MB of fully static RAM

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #2806 on: March 15, 2017, 12:26:31 pm »
I would probably go with a very lightly abrasive paste like Simchrome or Brasso or toothpaste perhaps inside a piece of just slightly larger insulation - placed over the pin (one at a time)  and spun by hand - then a really good clean with IPA.

Really good idea, never thought of using larger cylindrical shape plastic to clean it abrasively, thank you !  :-+

And after that, I would verify the cleaning action by running a 4 wire milliOhms measurement across all pins of socket/plug connection. For this solder the leads from the DMM to the respective solder tabs on the plug, respectively socket. Then compare your measurement with the data sheet - which does not give any mOhms contact info.  :palm:  |O
Therefore some of my measurement results on an old and well stored 5 pin DIN connector:
Contact resistance after years of storage (slight oxidation is visible): 35 mOhm
Contact resistance after cleaning with "Kontakt 60" (a popular deoxit fluid in Germany): 7.6 mOhm.

There you go.

Yours - Messtechniker

Damn, how did you know I measure those pins with 4 wires at sub miliohms resolution ?  >:D

C'mon, that thingy probably is now considered an antique, and also collector's item. Cleaning that darken DIN pins is for aesthetically reason, not technical at all. Those dark/black coating on the brass pins will just conduct fine when inserted into the DIN socket.

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #2807 on: March 15, 2017, 09:28:24 pm »

Damn, how did you know I measure those pins with 4 wires at sub miliohms resolution ?  >:D

This is the situation where a KS 34465A shines. :)
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #2808 on: March 17, 2017, 09:07:11 am »
I couldn't resist and bought some Nixie tubes from Dalibor Farny to build my own Nixie clock. He creates gorgeous new Nixie tubes. The packet arrived today:

Bottom side:

and a quick test, it looks so beautiful :-+

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

The following users thanked this post: deephaven, jonovid

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2809 on: March 17, 2017, 09:23:37 am »
I couldn't resist and bought some Nixie tubes from Dalibor Farny to build my own Nixie clock. He creates gorgeous new Nixie tubes. The packet arrived today:
They cost $145 a piece ?  :o :scared:
Well as long as you enjoy them as art  :)

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #2810 on: March 17, 2017, 09:31:23 am »
They cost $145 a piece ?  :o :scared:
Well as long as you enjoy them as art  :)

OUCH!!!

They do look incredible tho.  8)

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #2811 on: March 17, 2017, 09:36:08 am »
Right, they are not cheap, but they are hand-made and I don't know any other supplier who creates such beautiful new tubes, and they come with a 10 year warranty. There are more expensive new-old-stock Nixie tubes on eBay, but you can't be sure of the quality.
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2812 on: March 17, 2017, 09:40:52 am »
Well at least that answers my first question, why not 6 tubes and display the seconds  ;D
These tubes deserve a beautiful case, what are you planning, wood , stainless steel or perhaps a marble or granite pedestal ?

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #2813 on: March 17, 2017, 10:18:34 am »
Yeah, I thought about the seconds :D but then I don't really need it. I plan to use some antique big wooden clock (sold broken on eBay) to create a steampunk like clock, and two digits on each side fits perfectly.

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #2814 on: March 17, 2017, 11:14:49 am »
having way too many oscilloscopes seems to be an eevblog thing  ::)
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline razberik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2815 on: March 17, 2017, 11:37:32 am »
There are more expensive new-old-stock Nixie tubes on eBay, but you can't be sure of the quality.
Makes sense in terms of prices. And IN18 prices are ridiculous. But when you buy IN12 which are cheap and available in large numbers, these nixies are made with so damm long life time. 100 000 hours no exception. USSR made them with insane lifetime margin.

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #2816 on: March 17, 2017, 12:28:26 pm »
Maybe. I have two flanking my work area (a hacked DS1054Z and a YB4325 20MHz CRO) and I mainly use the 1054Z now. However there is something about seeing the green traces on the CRO.

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2817 on: March 17, 2017, 12:35:47 pm »
Those tubes are beautiful Frank - be sure to show us the final project picture with them!!

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2818 on: March 17, 2017, 02:16:23 pm »

Try with pencil eraser: https://hackaday.io/project/7574-the-devil-is-in-the-details/log/26489-a-pencil-eraser-trick

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2819 on: March 17, 2017, 02:32:45 pm »
That reminds me of my scavenger hunt last week on a fleamarket that is kept once a year and where leftovers are sold from a smt place business.
My score this year:

Panasonic SMD elco's:
330uF/16V
4u7/50V
10uF/50V
470uF/16V

TH Fujicon (is that a decent brand or should i scrap them?)
2200uF/63V

and some bags with RJ45's, Phoenix 8pin connectors, dc-dc converters,
8 pcs of AD734AN (no idea what to do with those, anyone have an idea?), DS1225, 7808s

Just to stock up for my projects the next 25 years  :-DD  if the elco's survive that long , I already have quite a collection from past years hunts.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #2820 on: March 17, 2017, 03:00:25 pm »
I think you are stocked up. :)
Sue AF6LJ

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2821 on: March 17, 2017, 03:35:21 pm »
I plan to use some antique big wooden clock (sold broken on eBay) to create a steampunk like clock, and two digits on each side fits perfectly.

That's a great idea, Frank. I like the analog and digital combination. That clock is perfect for it. Looking forward to seeing yours with those big Nixies.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #2822 on: March 17, 2017, 04:10:32 pm »
I plan to use some antique big wooden clock (sold broken on eBay) to create a steampunk like clock, and two digits on each side fits perfectly.

That's a great idea, Frank. I like the analog and digital combination. That clock is perfect for it. Looking forward to seeing yours with those big Nixies.

Thanks. I just opened the clock and it comes with a built-in audio device :) After all this years I still remember the sound, my grandparents had such a clock, too (each full hour: dong - dong - dong...). Will add some solenoids.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 04:14:41 pm by FrankBuss »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2823 on: March 17, 2017, 04:14:12 pm »
Cool. You should start a thread for this for all of us clock (analog or digital) fans.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2824 on: March 17, 2017, 04:39:08 pm »
 A nixie clock that chimes the hour with real mechanical chimes - that is AWESOME. Can't wait to see this.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf