Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2801003 times)

jhenderson0107 and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #3375 on: June 20, 2017, 07:25:33 am »
If it's any consolation, I have several sets of TL910, both Fluke and Pomona (6342) branded versions and the all have the same imperfections that yours have.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: blueskull

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #3376 on: June 20, 2017, 08:51:40 am »
A new keyboard.  :)

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #3378 on: June 20, 2017, 09:30:34 am »

For playing this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trout_Quintet

;D

Actually I don't know how to play and the keyboard is for my son.   :-[

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #3379 on: June 20, 2017, 12:32:32 pm »

Nice, a Yamaha NP-32. I have a Yamaha P-85. Maybe buy your son a sustain foot pedal, too, they are cheap but very useful.

I guess the USB port uses a standard MIDI protocol? Then you could use a piano synthesizer on PC or laptop, which makes it sound like a real grand piano. I can recommend Pianoteq (they have a free trial), with which I have played this:

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

The following users thanked this post: gamalot

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #3380 on: June 20, 2017, 04:03:48 pm »
WOW! You play like a pro!  :-+

I will try to connect it to my PC once I remember where are my USB cables.  |O

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #3381 on: June 20, 2017, 09:38:57 pm »

Nice, a Yamaha NP-32. I have a Yamaha P-85. Maybe buy your son a sustain foot pedal, too, they are cheap but very useful.

I guess the USB port uses a standard MIDI protocol? Then you could use a piano synthesizer on PC or laptop, which makes it sound like a real grand piano. I can recommend Pianoteq (they have a free trial), with which I have played this:

Your playing is vastly superior to mine but the patches sound a bit off to me, I can't quite place my finger on it but it just sounds "electronic", but not in a good way. I really should dust off my M-Audio Axiom 25 and hook it up to my Roland MT-32 again (it's piano is rubbish too but LAS synth is amazing fun in general).

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #3382 on: June 20, 2017, 10:40:19 pm »
Your playing is vastly superior to mine but the patches sound a bit off to me, I can't quite place my finger on it but it just sounds "electronic", but not in a good way.

Thanks. The video is 7 years old, I think Pianoteq was very new back then, maybe it is better now, or maybe I tweaked too many parameters :) I remember turning down the noise of the sustain pedal, which is synthesized as well, and other parameters.

I think the best piano sound, besides using a real grand piano, are generated by Kurzweil pianos. IIRC they use a combination of lots of real samples and synthesis.
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #3383 on: June 20, 2017, 10:46:25 pm »
Your playing is vastly superior to mine but the patches sound a bit off to me, I can't quite place my finger on it but it just sounds "electronic", but not in a good way.

I think the best piano sound, besides using a real grand piano, are generated by Kurzweil pianos. IIRC they use a combination of lots of real samples and synthesis.

It's amazing  to me that piano is still one of the most difficult instruments to synthesize well even after more than 30 years of effort.

Offline Bendba

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3384 on: June 20, 2017, 11:06:27 pm »
Just found this lot on ebay:

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/263014645608?_mwBanner=1

Is a fair bit of cash but hopefully it's worth it.
Stop dreaming your life, start leaving your dreams.

Offline CharlieWorton

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3385 on: June 21, 2017, 01:25:44 am »
Well, let's see.  I bought this:

and this:

and this:

...And some Melamine sheeting for my UV lightbox and desktop.  Working on my hobby room.  The bandsaw is for cutting up pc boards, and the dremel gadget turns my dremel tool into a drill press for drilling said circuit boards.  The DS1054Z - now an 1104Z - is pretty self explanatory.

And that pretty much emptied my wallet!

>Charlie

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3386 on: June 21, 2017, 08:20:41 am »
I bought a piano sample library in 2008 or so, it was 80GB for 4 piano's and sounded amazing although the hardware was the limitation. This should now with more cores not be a problem anymore.
The HW only piano I am still interested in but I don't want to spent that money is the Roland V-piano, that is a synthesis only machine that sounded really good.
But a real grand piano can for a real pianist never be replaced too many variables if only that two speakers can never replace 100s of strings.

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3387 on: June 21, 2017, 08:28:08 am »

The bandsaw is for cutting up pc boards, and the dremel gadget turns my dremel tool into a drill press for drilling said circuit boards. 

>Charlie

I've had trouble cutting PCB material with a band saw.  They work great on the old phenolic board.
The FR4 is very harsh and with a fresh band-saw blade I've actually seen piles of sparks flowing out under the board as it is cut.

A band saw is very handy for all sorts of other jobs especially if you can drop the speed low enough to cut ally.

One day I'd like to buy one of those small combination bender / roller / guillotine machines for cutting boards.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #3388 on: June 21, 2017, 08:39:55 am »
Got an old pair of Tandy 1000 joysticks in the mail today, both with different faults - I'm planning to frankenstein them together to make one working unit for my 1000 EX.  :-/O

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3389 on: June 21, 2017, 09:04:27 am »

The bandsaw is for cutting up pc boards, and the dremel gadget turns my dremel tool into a drill press for drilling said circuit boards. 

>Charlie

I've had trouble cutting PCB material with a band saw.  They work great on the old phenolic board.
The FR4 is very harsh and with a fresh band-saw blade I've actually seen piles of sparks flowing out under the board as it is cut.

A band saw is very handy for all sorts of other jobs especially if you can drop the speed low enough to cut ally.

One day I'd like to buy one of those small combination bender / roller / guillotine machines for cutting boards.

I had the same experience. My current solution which works really good is a circular bench saw with a diamond coated blade.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Gary.M

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3390 on: June 21, 2017, 09:42:22 am »

and this:

and this:

...And some Melamine sheeting for my UV lightbox and desktop.  Working on my hobby room.  The bandsaw is for cutting up pc boards, and the dremel gadget turns my dremel tool into a drill press for drilling said circuit boards.  The DS1054Z - now an 1104Z - is pretty self explanatory.

>Charlie
Seriously, you'll get sick of all that drilling. Pcbs are so cheap to buy these days.

Sent from my x600 using Tapatalk

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3391 on: June 21, 2017, 12:05:23 pm »
It has been a long time since I've seen those Tandy joysticks!!!

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #3392 on: June 21, 2017, 10:07:33 pm »
It has been a long time since I've seen those Tandy joysticks!!!

Same here, I think by 1990 we'd upgraded from the 1000 EX to generic PC compatible.

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3393 on: June 22, 2017, 03:47:12 am »

Awesome! we had a thread about that in the for sale section...

Even though most of the posts were people being thankful it was too far away from them so they wouldn't have to justify a giant pile of junk showing up to their partner, I was pretty sure it would be someone on here buying it.

Good luck with your lucky dip!

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #3394 on: June 22, 2017, 04:29:26 am »

I have a Kurzweil PC88MX, it's a gorgeous piece of kit.

Offline Bendba

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3395 on: June 22, 2017, 06:19:18 am »

Awesome! we had a thread about that in the for sale section...

Even though most of the posts were people being thankful it was too far away from them so they wouldn't have to justify a giant pile of junk showing up to their partner, I was pretty sure it would be someone on here buying it.

Good luck with your lucky dip!

There will probably be done of that equipment that will not be useful for me, I'll probably share.

I just wish the Tektronix 575 curve tracer was in the lot to go with the 175

Picking it up next weekend, and looking forward to it.

Do you have a link to the thread in the for sale section?

Never mind, found it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 10:53:41 am by Bendba »
Stop dreaming your life, start leaving your dreams.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #3396 on: June 22, 2017, 07:30:15 am »

I have a Kurzweil PC88MX, it's a gorgeous piece of kit.

Right, I just watched a video of it on Youtube, the piano is sound is great. But the strings could be better, but I wouldn't need this anyway.

Thought it would be more expensive, but you can get it used at eBay for reasonable prices. Maybe I should buy one, you can never have too many keyboards :)

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3397 on: June 22, 2017, 10:48:26 am »
A very thorough and complete book

Offline Kevman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3398 on: June 22, 2017, 01:28:48 pm »
My Li-Ion Battery is bigger than your Li-Ion battery. Probably.

My New Chevy Bolt Premier! I took the picture while it was still sitting at the dealer. I've had it about a month and have put a hair under 1000 miles on it.

Offline noidea

• Supporter
« Reply #3399 on: June 22, 2017, 03:30:51 pm »
I had an issue recently where I needed to check the earth leakage current on piece of machinery that the leakage supposedly started to increase the longer it operated, whilst google searching I saw a recommendation for a Chauvin Arnoux C173 current clamp that had switchable ranges from 1000A down to 1A with 1mA resolution on the lowest range. I thought Ok that with my scopemeter would be perfect to log the trend over time. A quick ebay search for a C173 found nothing but knowing AEMC are Chauvin Arnoux in disguise I had a look at their offerings and saw the SR759 was the same thing. I found a seller offering one in the US and got it for the opening bid $89, with ebay Global shipping it was all up $170 aus dollars so I'm pretty happy, this photo is the sellers photo and whilst the box is a bit tatty the clamp has never been used.
It arrived to day and it looks exactly the same as the sellers photo, it has never been used, I checked it out on a piece of equipment that I had tested last week with a borrowed Hioki 3283 and it is giving the same readings so it seems to be still in spec as well.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf