Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2801024 times)

wkb, jhenderson0107 and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #3975 on: September 13, 2017, 03:39:06 am »
Sad to hear that TerraHertz:(

Hopefully something suitable will come along in time for you to meet your deadline.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #3976 on: September 13, 2017, 04:03:44 am »
Bugger THz, more fish in the sea!
Re 3458, you have to keep in mind the new price is an eye watering 13k AUD! But a lot of experience/parts and still supported by by Keysight.
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Bendba

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3977 on: September 13, 2017, 09:30:52 am »
Well, what I didn't buy today, is that lathe I mentioned. Dammit.

Despite having paid a $200 deposit, having a signed agreement of sale and price, and the remainder of the cash in my pocket while trying to arrange a meeting to pay him and start collecting the gear, today the seller back-slid.
I can only assume he decided to accept a higher offer. It's now showing as 'sold'. Though he lied about it to my face, and made feeble excuses.
He did return the deposit, but arranged the meeting to do that on false pretext.

So, if anyone was considering dealing with this guy: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-seller/NICK/31359368
I'd advise against it. He's shifty, dishonest, unprincipled and very difficult to deal with. Quite far on the odd side.

Bugger  :rant:
Well, I guess that wasn't meant to be. There will be something else coming up, maybe even better.
Stop dreaming your life, start leaving your dreams.

Online daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #3978 on: September 13, 2017, 10:28:25 am »
I am based in Bratislava and have a HP 4195A which works well except for aging caps. If you need some reference measures done, let me know.
Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that some day.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #3979 on: September 13, 2017, 10:38:28 am »
Thanks for the sympathy everyone.
It was a bad day. First the lathe-guy arranges for me to go there, supposedly to pick up the accessories, then surprises me by handing back the deposit then driving off with nothing sensible to say for himself. So, no lathe.
Then my son leaves for overseas again (Panama), this time likely for a long while. He's set himself up as an Amazon seller, doing well, and decided he likes the traveling life. Then while driving him to the airport, while stopped on the M5 due to slow traffic, a semi-trailer rolls gently but irresistibly into the back of our car. Driver distracted, took foot off brake. Minimal damage, but a nuisance.

Oh well. At least in anticipation of the lathe I'd moved a lot of accidentally accumulated junk out of my 'forge shed' to make space for it. So it's now feasible to get that whole stalled building project back on track. And yes, there will be other lathes. Though I rather suspect I'll be lucky to find another with a set of faceplates of all sizes up to huge. That I can afford.

There's no 'deadline' as such. Just a vacuum system project that was stalled for years due to lack of some required (very expensive if bought) parts, that I now have. So now I'm eager to proceed.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline Oldtestgear

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3980 on: September 13, 2017, 01:23:06 pm »
I managed to buy an HP 8405A vector volt meter plus accessory kit for £40 delivered last week. Sold as untested, for parts or repair. Tested it today & it works well. Measures a 1degree phase difference & gives credible voltage readings as a bonus. Well pleased EXCEPT I am supposed to be making space not buying interesting but relatively pointless toys. If only I had a bigger workshop!
 I have real difficulty ignoring interesting but slightly unloved old test equipment. 

Phil

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #3981 on: September 13, 2017, 03:14:59 pm »
I got a Testo 830-T2 IR thermometer today.
It has 12:1 optics with dual laser indicator for the measurement area and K-Type probes can directly be connected at the bottom of the "pistol grip".
It has some weight to it that does inspire confidence to be decently built for the price, the housing is only ABS and the display + back-light are not be considered top notch though.

The device can be set to sound an alarm if the measured temperature leaves a defined threshold. Also, the emissivity [epsilon] can be pre-selected from 0.10 to 1.00 in 0.01 increments in IR mode.
Update rate is 0.5 seconds, so it can be used for slow sweep scanning.

(image taken from Testo site)
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3982 on: September 13, 2017, 03:19:44 pm »
I got a Testo 830-T2 IR thermometer today.
It has 12:1 optics with dual laser indicator for the measurement area and K-Type probes can directly be connected at the bottom of the "pistol grip".
It has some weight to it that does inspire confidence to be decently built for the price, the housing is only ABS and the display + back-light are not be considered top notch though.

The device can be set to sound an alarm if the measured temperature leaves a defined threshold. Also, the emissivity [epsilon] can be pre-selected from 0.10 to 1.00 in 0.01 increments in IR mode.
Update rate is 0.5 seconds, so it can be used for slow sweep scanning.

(image taken from Testo site)
It's funny that despite all the progress made in material science, weight is still an important part of the perception of quality.

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #3983 on: September 13, 2017, 03:29:14 pm »
It's funny that despite all the progress made in material science, weight is still an important part of the perception of quality.

That is how human perception and psychology works :)
There are a lot of scientific studies that try to find out how we perceive values like "quality" and what way these are connected to something like muscle memory and learning (for example estimating the density of things by touch).
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3984 on: September 13, 2017, 04:51:05 pm »
I managed to buy an HP 8405A vector volt meter plus accessory kit for £40 delivered last week. Sold as untested, for parts or repair. Tested it today & it works well. Measures a 1degree phase difference & gives credible voltage readings as a bonus. Well pleased EXCEPT I am supposed to be making space not buying interesting but relatively pointless toys. If only I had a bigger workshop!
 I have real difficulty ignoring interesting but slightly unloved old test equipment. 

Phil
I think you and I are alike in that respect. I justify it on the basis that B does this or that which A cannot do etc, if only there was some equipment reasonably priced that did it all and a Doctor Who type tardis for a workshop, I'd be very happy. :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3985 on: September 13, 2017, 05:11:16 pm »
I know, I need help but I just bought another 2nd hand bench meter on Ebay, is was a Buy it Now or offer, so I made an offer and again I was surprisingly accepted. I figured that the price I offered, the leads that came with it would cost that much on their own to buy so was worthwhile gamble.

Its been beaten up a bit by the look of it but is supposed to working perfectly, so a little more TLC and cleaning might work wonders on it, just have to wait and see.  8)
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #3986 on: September 13, 2017, 10:02:51 pm »
I know, I need help but I just bought another ...

You are not alone - go to the link in my signature and meet the rest of us (test equipment anonymous group therapy).  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #3987 on: September 14, 2017, 12:36:01 am »
I know, I need help but I just bought another 2nd hand bench meter on Ebay, is was a Buy it Now or offer, so I made an offer and again I was surprisingly accepted. I figured that the price I offered, the leads that came with it would cost that much on their own to buy so was worthwhile gamble.

That's OK. At least two bench meters is a good thing to have. The curved "bar" graph is interesting. I haven't seen that before. Otherwise, it looks like the innards of a handheld living in a bench enclosure. When you get it, have a look inside to see if that's what they did.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3988 on: September 14, 2017, 01:28:30 am »
That's OK. At least two bench meters is a good thing to have. The curved "bar" graph is interesting. I haven't seen that before. Otherwise, it looks like the innards of a handheld living in a bench enclosure. When you get it, have a look inside to see if that's what they did.
Haha 2 bench meters?, make that 4 now, along with 4 handheld digitals, 4 analogs and a valve voltmeter to boot. I'll certainly look inside it when I get it, I always take a peek inside to see if anyone has been playing around inside before.

I don't think it is a handheld stuffed into a bench case, but it could be. What attracted me to it was the MIN/MAX feature, could be useful if checking a suspect power supply for fluctuations etc., it certainly isn't upto the standards of my Philips PM 2521 or the HP 3466A, the latter even has gold plated tracks on the PCB and looks mint inside. Only issue is the the lead acid battery has seen better days so I have sourced a suitable replacement and just need to extend the leads to it and provide some extra insulation  around the negative terminal to prevent it shorting on the metalwork bracketry that holds it in place as the terminal arrangements are different to the original.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3989 on: September 14, 2017, 02:38:32 am »
Small Aliexpress splurge to keep a growing list in check.

SMA cables and joiners
Laptop battery
63V caps
Relays
Briggs voltage reg
Paslode nail gun battery
GC7137AP display drivers
74HCT244D buffer IC
Acer projector colour wheel
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #3990 on: September 14, 2017, 02:43:19 am »
Haha 2 bench meters?, make that 4 now, along with 4 handheld digitals, 4 analogs and a valve voltmeter to boot.

The more, the merrier! I don't keep track anymore. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline noidea

• Supporter
« Reply #3991 on: September 14, 2017, 09:53:14 am »
Actually I bought it last week, but it only arrived today.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #3992 on: September 14, 2017, 11:42:34 am »
Because I'm great at breaking drill bits, I bought this fine set of Chinesium bits from fleabay and they arrived today!

$19.95 delivered and in a freakin metal case!  :o

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3993 on: September 15, 2017, 01:10:33 am »
Actually I bought it last week, but it only arrived today.
Portability!
Visibility!
Storability!
Grizzed Lightnin' !
😂

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #3994 on: September 15, 2017, 01:14:28 pm »
Bought one of these last night at our club auction....

The one I have has the 11 meter band in it and is likely as old as I am.
85LBS of love.... :D
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3995 on: September 15, 2017, 01:38:00 pm »

It will also double up as a room heater too no doubt  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #3996 on: September 15, 2017, 02:14:11 pm »

It will also double up as a room heater too no doubt  :-DD
Yes it will 19 tubes two of which are rectifier tubes, sure will be nice on those cold winter nights.
Sue AF6LJ

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline Panourias

« Reply #3997 on: September 15, 2017, 03:01:31 pm »
I have a Moulinex mixer and the sales representative denied repair service to me.Ok then i said i don't need you,i will do it by my self and i purchased this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-AM-503B-Current-Probe-Amplifier-amplificateur-pour-sonde-de-courant-1/382204486727?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I have (almost) no idea how this thing works but i have the manuals and time!

:-DD

Offline Bendba

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3998 on: September 15, 2017, 11:05:48 pm »
I have a Moulinex mixer and the sales representative denied repair service to me.Ok then i said i don't need you,i will do it by my self and i purchased this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-AM-503B-Current-Probe-Amplifier-amplificateur-pour-sonde-de-courant-1/382204486727?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I have (almost) no idea how this thing works but i have the manuals and time!

:-DD

Why do you need a current probe to fix that?

Stop dreaming your life, start leaving your dreams.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #3999 on: September 15, 2017, 11:27:03 pm »
Any excuse to buy a tool is a good excuse. :)  :-+
Sue AF6LJ

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, djos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf