Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2800960 times)

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #4050 on: September 26, 2017, 05:10:10 pm »
Bought today 14 of these: Analog Devices AD588BD
Payed a bit more than U$ 63,- for all (items, shipping, import fees and taxes)

Datasheet:
http://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/AD588.pdf
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline medical-nerd

• Regular Contributor
  • What's that coming over the hill?
« Reply #4051 on: September 26, 2017, 05:30:49 pm »
How do you guys fund all this equipment?

20 years hoarding 'junk' and driving missus crazy until have time to enjoy hobby....now starting to enjoy...

Cheers
'better to burn out than fade away'

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4052 on: September 26, 2017, 06:23:33 pm »
Bought today 14 of these: Analog Devices AD588BD
Payed a bit more than U$ 63,- for all (items, shipping, import fees and taxes)

Awesome chip, I'm currently building a 10V heated reference with it. Better than the LM399 in my opinion. 

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #4053 on: September 26, 2017, 06:41:56 pm »
Awesome chip, I'm currently building a 10V heated reference with it. Better than the LM399 in my opinion.

I want to use it with a 14-bit DAC (AD7535BQ) to build a precise constant current source based on the design of Dr. Frank's DIY constant current source. If it is working well, I'll do a small batch of another five units.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline cowana

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4054 on: September 26, 2017, 07:19:46 pm »
The blue silicone mat? Yes, useful for me - it's good for soldering on, my bench top is not otherwise heat proof. Keeps tiny screws from rolling off too.

I'd agree - they're handy things! Good for not scratching my desk, and it's nice and soft for working with delicate items. Easy to wash when it gets dirty, and seems fairly heat resistant.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4055 on: September 26, 2017, 10:27:36 pm »
The blue silicone mat? Yes, useful for me - it's good for soldering on, my bench top is not otherwise heat proof. Keeps tiny screws from rolling off too.

I'd agree - they're handy things! Good for not scratching my desk, and it's nice and soft for working with delicate items. Easy to wash when it gets dirty, and seems fairly heat resistant.
I'd been thinking about getting one for a while but you've all convinced me  :clap: so I caved in and taken the plunge https://eu.banggood.com/Wholesale-Warehouse-DANIU-34x23cm-Heat-Insulation-Silicone-Pad-Desk-Mat-Maintenance-Platform-BGA-Soldering-Repair-Station-wp-Eu-1105515.html?rmmds=search
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline skarecrow

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4056 on: September 26, 2017, 11:16:56 pm »
Anyone think this used power supply was worth $20? It's a piece of Radio Shack history, if that makes a difference. The store I stopped in today is days from closing forever, so they're selling EVERYTHING. They had a whole table of equipment that they actually used for repairing electronics! I don't even know what some of the stuff was, and everything besides the power supply was $100 or more. Assuming it works I think I did ok.  I like the volt range switch much better than the cheapie I got on eBay a few months back.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #4057 on: September 26, 2017, 11:33:06 pm »
$20 is good if it's working well. It's a bit different than the typical clone that you see all over the usual places. The voltage "range" switch looks like it's a combination of a set of fixed voltages (bypasses the coarse and fine voltage knobs) for convenience and a variable setting (0-15V) that enables the coarse and fine voltage knobs. An interesting feature variation to this style of supply.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline skarecrow

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4058 on: September 26, 2017, 11:40:51 pm »
The voltage switch seems to be working according to the display. I haven't checked it for accuracy yet. It's been a long day. Gonna leave it on my desk at work and head home.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4059 on: September 26, 2017, 11:46:36 pm »
Sure looks like a cracking buy, even if it needs some work, well worth $20 any day of the week. :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4060 on: September 27, 2017, 02:18:39 am »
An while ago I bought a so called "946c" electric hot plate/preheating pad and I've only had the opportunity to use it a few times. I want to get a little more use out of it before I post any kind of report. But it works, it doesn't smell (that was my main worry)  and its been useful. And it was really a good deal for what I paid for it. ($45)

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline skarecrow

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4061 on: September 27, 2017, 02:22:15 am »
An while ago I bought a so called "946c" electric hot plate/preheating pad and I've only had the opportunity to use it a few times. I want to get a little more use out of it before I post any kind of report. But it works, it doesn't smell (that was my main worry)  and its been useful. And it was really a good deal for what I paid for it. ($45)
Radio Shack had what looked like that exact same unit without the Chinese writing on it for $100. What do they normally sell for? I'll be in the neighborhood tomorrow. Is it worth picking up?

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #4062 on: September 27, 2017, 12:02:56 pm »
Dave's uSleeve. Waiting for it to arrive.

me 2  ;D

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #4063 on: September 27, 2017, 09:51:43 pm »
I had some DealExtreme credits, so for shits and giggles I ordered some LED ceiling lights. I wanted to replace our halogen bulbs, but I couldn't find any modules with the same hole size, except these ones on DealExtreme.

Yep, looks like a good amount of propaganda on the box. They actually look quite nice. It's all (paper thin) aluminium. They weigh almost nothing, the entire package (6 units) is 360 gram according to DX.

Pinnacle of engineering, this separate LED driver. Notice the fake screw heads. Literally no attempt was made to hold the wires or the circuit board in place. I know where these modules will go, and it won't be my ceiling.

Dark Energy. Interesting name for an incendiary device.

Chip is a BP9021a. Interesting to see how little external components it needs. Note the fusible trace on the mains live.

The LED board itself, just 6x 0.5W emitters. The housing works reasonably well as a heatsink.

Those drivers are obviously landfill material, but the rest looks ok. If the LEDs turn out to be shit it should be easy enough to wire a new emitter in.

Offline mrjoda

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4064 on: September 27, 2017, 09:56:14 pm »
you know that feeling... you know that you need new pair of shoes and new jeans and you just opened ebay  :-DD
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 10:16:19 pm by mrjoda »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4065 on: September 27, 2017, 10:19:39 pm »
I have no idea what they normally sell for.. On ebay there seems to be a lot of sellers selling what looks like the same unit for a variety of prices..

I wouldn't spend $100 but for $45 its a good deal.

Radio Shack had what looked like that exact same unit without the Chinese writing on it for $100. What do they normally sell for? I'll be in the neighborhood tomorrow. Is it worth picking up?

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline skarecrow

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4066 on: September 27, 2017, 10:40:05 pm »
I have no idea what they normally sell for.. On ebay there seems to be a lot of sellers selling what looks like the same unit for a variety of prices..

I wouldn't spend $100 but for $45 its a good deal.

I looked on eBay too. They all seem to be Chinese cheapies. The one at Rat Shack may be of higher quality. I didn't get to stop there today like I wanted to. I was gonna show them the eBay listings that were $75 brand new and offer them $40. Sadly that store will likely be gone long before I'm in that area again.

Offline polli

• Contributor
« Reply #4067 on: September 28, 2017, 08:29:38 am »
Nice! Just got 6 old broken in some way PCs for free. I can start getting some desoldering practice.

I'm estimating that there are several hundred electrolytic caps. Considering I still haven't ordered any cap, I'm going to save them. Might be useful when I play with my first circuits.

As a rule of thumb, how many millijoules can I short with a screwdriver without damaging the caps?
I know that all these caps are most likely already completely discharged, and I even make sure with my multimeter, but i'm wondering about the general case.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 08:40:48 am by polli »
0xBE447ABE6628374FEAEB

Offline 3db

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4068 on: September 28, 2017, 11:34:09 am »
Nice! Just got 6 old broken in some way PCs for free. I can start getting some desoldering practice.

I'm estimating that there are several hundred electrolytic caps. Considering I still haven't ordered any cap, I'm going to save them. Might be useful when I play with my first circuits.

As a rule of thumb, how many millijoules can I short with a screwdriver without damaging the caps?
I know that all these caps are most likely already completely discharged, and I even make sure with my multimeter, but i'm wondering about the general case.

General case,don't use a screwdriver use a resistor.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #4069 on: September 28, 2017, 11:51:09 am »

General case,don't use a screwdriver use a resistor.

Or a Brymen 235 DMM in AutoV LowZ mode.  :-DMM

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4070 on: September 28, 2017, 02:58:49 pm »
Bought a Feeltech FY6600S function generator since I wanted to play around with some ultrasonic disc transducers (which are still slowly making their way here from China). From a Chinese Ebay seller selling it from a Frankfurt warehouse for a really decent price, which since customs in my country is a bit of a bitch clinched it. Haven't done much with it yet, but I know someone asked for a pic from the inside in another thread so for the moment here seems as good a place as any.

Numbers erased from the ICs, but the DACs are likely overclocked DAC904s and the buffers I guess OPA690s (since that's what they use on Chinese DAC904 modules). Probably going to glue in a 15 Euro isolation transformer from Conrad.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 03:54:02 pm by Marco »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4071 on: September 28, 2017, 03:04:58 pm »
Is it just me or does anyone think that solder joint to the rear top socket looks suspect?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #4072 on: September 28, 2017, 03:24:53 pm »
Is it just me or does anyone think that solder joint to the rear top socket looks suspect?
I'd give it a second look for sure.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #4073 on: September 28, 2017, 08:09:20 pm »
I bought one of these today to replace my VSP-2405 HE.

Offline skarecrow

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4074 on: September 28, 2017, 08:24:03 pm »
I bought one of these today to replace my VSP-2405 HE.

That looks sexy!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf