Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2801002 times)

jhenderson0107 and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #4150 on: October 04, 2017, 04:32:34 am »
Just received 20pcs PCBs, I like the ball pen.  ;D

Offline medical-nerd

• Regular Contributor
  • What's that coming over the hill?
« Reply #4151 on: October 04, 2017, 07:59:50 am »
Hiya

Bought these from gearbest.com for a birthday present for my 12 years old son.

Must be reliving my childhood through my children......since I always lost keys so never bothered with them from 13yrs old!!  >:D

Cheers
'better to burn out than fade away'

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4152 on: October 04, 2017, 04:24:55 pm »
This afternoon I bought a Fluke 87V roughly 45 minutes after it was put on ebay for 150€ in good condition. :-)
Being off with my arm broken has to be good for something at last..   ;D
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 04:30:45 pm by URI »
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4153 on: October 04, 2017, 05:03:03 pm »
Nice steal, sorry to hear about your accident but with a steal like this, perhaps it was a bit of a blessing, you'll have plenty of time to play with your new toy  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #4154 on: October 04, 2017, 07:08:14 pm »
A Lucent Rubidium standard purchased over the weekend from the Bay of Malevolence arrived today. 

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4155 on: October 04, 2017, 07:39:34 pm »
Nice steal, sorry to hear about your accident but with a steal like this, perhaps it was a bit of a blessing, you'll have plenty of time to play with your new toy  :popcorn:

It's more like a small consolation.  :'(
I'd prefer my arm being well.

But it could be worse.  ;)

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4156 on: October 04, 2017, 08:25:31 pm »
Being delivered tomorrow, a huge chunk of eBay junk

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intech-PA3-400-Mosfet-Amplifier-/352172338939?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=C4WmTOZVFX5fSDo5eRHa2Q6c8mg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

no idea if it will work, no idea if it's even useful but there's  meter with a kilowatt range, theres a *huge* transformer (the whole weighs 66KG) and I figure there's a lot of fun in tearing it down which I may record and post on Youtube along with a teardown of the Bruker NMR amplifier I bought a while ago.

Offline polli

• Contributor
« Reply #4157 on: October 05, 2017, 12:24:19 pm »
Bought a monotron duo:

http://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/monotron_duo/

I can start to understand and mod the circuit, and then I have a point of comparison to tell if my synths are working correctly. I've always only worked with digital audio, so pushing the filter until it starts screaming is just too much fun.
0xBE447ABE6628374FEAEB

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4158 on: October 05, 2017, 01:05:00 pm »
Bought a monotron duo:

I can start to understand and mod the circuit, and then I have a point of comparison to tell if my synths are working correctly. I've always only worked with digital audio, so pushing the filter until it starts screaming is just too much fun.

For some reason that instantly reminded me of this...
https://farm1.static.flickr.com/87/242740060_6474fd3777_b.jpg

I still have my original Stylophone somewhere.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #4159 on: October 05, 2017, 02:04:24 pm »
Bought a monotron duo:

This piano looks painful to play. But at least it is a good idea that you can change the scale to major or minor, so that you don't accidentally touch the black keys, as with the chromatic scale setting. But I guess it is often used with scale off, like a theremin?
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline medical-nerd

• Regular Contributor
  • What's that coming over the hill?
« Reply #4160 on: October 05, 2017, 02:14:22 pm »
Being delivered tomorrow, a huge chunk of eBay junk

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intech-PA3-400-Mosfet-Amplifier-/352172338939?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=C4WmTOZVFX5fSDo5eRHa2Q6c8mg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

no idea if it will work, no idea if it's even useful but there's  meter with a kilowatt range, theres a *huge* transformer (the whole weighs 66KG) and I figure there's a lot of fun in tearing it down which I may record and post on Youtube along with a teardown of the Bruker NMR amplifier I bought a while ago.

I'm very jealous!

I have bought items from this ebayer before, all good stuff but unfortunately they seem to have put a default postage of £40 on most of their items recently, even the small package items - otherwise I would have grabbed a few more items for stripping down.

Cheers
'better to burn out than fade away'

Offline polli

• Contributor
« Reply #4161 on: October 05, 2017, 02:43:30 pm »
Bought a monotron duo:

This piano looks painful to play. But at least it is a good idea that you can change the scale to major or minor, so that you don't accidentally touch the black keys, as with the chromatic scale setting. But I guess it is often used with scale off, like a theremin?

It's fairly easy to use it in chromatic mode with reasonable accuracy, and I feel like I would be able to record most things in a couple of takes, especially if I practice a bit - today is the first day I'm playing with it and I'm already getting the hang of it.

It's also very fun to use it with the scale off, but not like a theremin - I feel like I can't really control that, - more like a piano, again with the thumbs, and then you can do vibrato like you would on a guitar or a violin, just by pressing your thumb.

But this thing is meant to be modded! First thing would be adding a CV input for the pitch. I have a 88key controller I will use instead of the actual keyboard.
0xBE447ABE6628374FEAEB

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #4162 on: October 05, 2017, 03:59:50 pm »
It's fairly easy to use it in chromatic mode with reasonable accuracy, and I feel like I would be able to record most things in a couple of takes, especially if I practice a bit - today is the first day I'm playing with it and I'm already getting the hang of it.

Would be interesting to see a teardown of it. Maybe start another thread for it. I guess it uses capacitive sensing elements?

Recently I saw this instrument:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/skotwiedmann/hyve-touch-synth-make-the-future-of-musical-expres

I think they are using resistive sensing elements. And the Korg is surprisingly cheap compared to this Kickstarter project. Usually anything that is called "analog" from Korg costs an arm and a leg :)
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline polli

• Contributor
« Reply #4163 on: October 05, 2017, 05:20:26 pm »
Would be interesting to see a teardown of it. Maybe start another thread for it. I guess it uses capacitive sensing elements?

There isn't much to teardown. It's a single PCB with some pots, and there's even an official schematic for it: http://www.korg.com/download/global/monotron_duo_schematic/monotron_DUO_sch.pdf

I'm not sure if I can take the ribbon keyboard apart, but maybe this can can shed some light on how it works... if I press on the lowest and highest point, it seems to kind of do an average pitch, but it's closer to the lowest note.
0xBE447ABE6628374FEAEB

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #4164 on: October 05, 2017, 05:59:51 pm »
Interesting circuit, very simple and cheap with LM324 and 7414. And the keyboard is just one ribbon potentiometer according to the schematic diagram. Something like this:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8681

Could be difficult to add a CV input for the frequency with exact 1 V per octave, if the MSP430 microcontroller does some correction to the control voltage. Or maybe they managed to build the analog part in a way that the microcontroller can just output a linear or exponential control voltage without feedback? Otherwise it would be difficult to correct for different master pitch settings, because this is not going into the MSP430. I wonder why they didn't do more in software, would be much simpler with less parts.

Offline polli

• Contributor
« Reply #4165 on: October 05, 2017, 06:07:43 pm »
Could be difficult to add a CV input for the frequency with exact 1 V per octave
This is my first analog synth, so I'm also going to have to make my own midi to CV, probably with an arduino uno I have laying around from ages ago... if it still works. I can compensate for whatever (as soon as I actually can understand the circuit).
0xBE447ABE6628374FEAEB

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #4166 on: October 05, 2017, 06:14:11 pm »
The most elegant modification would be to add MIDI input and implement your own firmware for the MSP430. My Beatstep Pro uses 3.5mm stereo jacks for MIDI, and then external cable adapters with the standard DIN connector, which can be bought for other gear as well, in case there is not much room for a normal DIN connector input.

Offline polli

• Contributor
« Reply #4167 on: October 05, 2017, 06:35:46 pm »
I actually had a fun idea for a new project (and I can incorporate a couple of my projects, including one I already posted about here), and I think it will be helpful to have a working analog audio circuit around.

This time I'm going to post a project thread after I actually make something, though :P
0xBE447ABE6628374FEAEB

Offline Rémi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4168 on: October 06, 2017, 02:50:52 pm »
I didn't buy them, I saved them from the dumpster.
I'm lucky today :)

The following users thanked this post: MadTux, Richard Crowley, tooki

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4169 on: October 06, 2017, 03:20:14 pm »
You must have found Dave's magical dumpster.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4170 on: October 06, 2017, 03:20:48 pm »
[picture showing an HP 3437A, an HP 34970A, an HP 3456A and an HP 6031A

Congratulations, nice package! Those instruments alone are a solid foundation for a home lab.  :-+ :clap:
I'm still looking for a HP 3437A going for little money because I've missed the time the HP 3437A were thrown out of the labs in numbers..  :palm:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 03:23:00 pm by URI »

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #4171 on: October 06, 2017, 03:36:12 pm »

Sweet!!!  Nicely done - great 'save'!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4172 on: October 06, 2017, 04:39:45 pm »
OMG where??

I’ve been struggling to even find used test gear (or other surplus) vendors in Switzerland... all the old gear seems to vanish into thin air!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4173 on: October 06, 2017, 04:43:50 pm »
It pains me to realize that amazing test gear gets shredded every day, while I'm eager to get my hands on it. I'll pay you to haul your trash away, damn it!

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4174 on: October 06, 2017, 06:08:03 pm »
It pains me to realize that amazing test gear gets shredded every day, while I'm eager to get my hands on it. I'll pay you to haul your trash away, damn it!
Ha ha you and I both, it really worries me that people just dump things like this when they could offer them to people in a local recycle group or something.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf