Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2801012 times)

jhenderson0107 and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #6100 on: April 11, 2018, 04:57:51 pm »
Didn't really need it, but at $31.99 shipped I'll find a use for it.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #6101 on: April 12, 2018, 11:55:12 am »
Few new & used RF stuffs ...

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6102 on: April 12, 2018, 11:56:50 am »
These wee things arrived today! They will come in very handy I think.

I got one of these for opening iPhones:

You going for the record of opening the most in 1 go i take it? lol  >:D
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6103 on: April 12, 2018, 12:00:25 pm »
These arrived today!  :)

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6104 on: April 12, 2018, 12:07:10 pm »
Oh...and I forgot this a couple days ago....well handy for stripping components off a board! Anyone doing a lot of de-soldering should invest in 1!!
Totally agree

1 strange thing that has happened since I got it is...I was stripping heat sinks from a board a couple days ago and the gun was just fitting over the large solder pins with very little to spare. I go yesterday to strip the rest of the stuff off and the damn thing won't fit over the pins any more! It's the same pins, same heat sinks, same boards and same everything....AARRGGHHH!!  :)

Very strange!

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6105 on: April 12, 2018, 12:13:25 pm »
Got a gadzillion of M3 brass posts and the Conrad coaxial inserts for the Efratom FRS Rubidium oscillator. One is supposed to be crimping mode one is solder mode, wonder which one is which  ::).

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline Iwanushka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6106 on: April 12, 2018, 05:32:47 pm »
Oh...and I forgot this a couple days ago....well handy for stripping components off a board! Anyone doing a lot of de-soldering should invest in 1!!
Totally agree

1 strange thing that has happened since I got it is...I was stripping heat sinks from a board a couple days ago and the gun was just fitting over the large solder pins with very little to spare. I go yesterday to strip the rest of the stuff off and the damn thing won't fit over the pins any more! It's the same pins, same heat sinks, same boards and same everything....AARRGGHHH!!  :)

Very strange!

Those tips are kinda one time use in my case most of them get double in diameter after a good days use, at least they cost peanuts
When all you've got is a hammer, everything starts looking like a nail.- Attrition.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6107 on: April 12, 2018, 07:13:49 pm »
Totally agree

Very strange!

Those tips are kinda one time use in my case most of them get double in diameter after a good days use, at least they cost peanuts
Haha, it turned out to be nothing other some solder that had coated the internal bore of the tip and hardened, passing the cleaning rod though it a couple of times cured it perfectly. I'd be a bit concerned if the tips didn't last really, they aren't that cheap for mine.  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Iwanushka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6108 on: April 12, 2018, 07:18:14 pm »
Check tme.eu for tips up to 1eur a pop or evita.lt here it was half price last time I got them (they used to ship everywhere in EU, if they don't I can help with that)
When all you've got is a hammer, everything starts looking like a nail.- Attrition.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6109 on: April 12, 2018, 09:10:22 pm »
I had a look and can't find the ones for the machine I have. I found them on ebay for £5 a pop from Spain!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6110 on: April 12, 2018, 10:58:25 pm »
Check tme.eu for tips up to 1eur a pop or evita.lt here it was half price last time I got them (they used to ship everywhere in EU, if they don't I can help with that)
Well knock me over with a feather, you're right they are super cheap and I might have to take a few of those off their hands. Thanks for the offer of assistance if they don't ship to the UK, but I don't think thats going a to be a problem as the site understands I'm in the UK and adjusts the prices over to GBP so it all looks good, nice one.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #6111 on: April 12, 2018, 11:16:01 pm »
Doesn't look very useful for soldering parts. I have one of these, and I really like it:

Called "Weller Bestückungsrahmen", if someone wants to buy it. The small version I have costs less than EUR 60.

I like the little arm for holding components in place, boy could I have used that feature a lot lately!  :-+

Looks like it's designed to absorb excess heat from the component too, very clever idea!

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #6112 on: April 13, 2018, 12:22:06 am »

I like the little arm for holding components in place, boy could I have used that feature a lot lately!  :-+

Looks like it's designed to absorb excess heat from the component too, very clever idea!

Already planning an arm mod to my cheap knockoff one of those stands  :)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6113 on: April 13, 2018, 08:57:14 am »
Doesn't look very useful for soldering parts. I have one of these, and I really like it:

Called "Weller Bestückungsrahmen", if someone wants to buy it. The small version I have costs less than EUR 60.

That arm is to hold thru-pin parts in place when you flip the board over to solder the pins, it doesn’t really provide any meaningful thermal Absorption.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #6114 on: April 13, 2018, 11:51:57 am »

That arm is to hold thru-pin parts in place when you flip the board over to solder the pins, it doesn’t really provide any meaningful thermal Absorption.

Right, I used this to solder the DIP socket and MIDI connectors when I sold my C64 Kerberos MIDI cartridge:

because additional cost for through-hole assembly is costly when you produce it in Germany. But I guess it is resistant to high temperature, because it doesn't melt or smoke, even if you solder pin headers, which is really nice with this frame, because no burnt finger nails anymore, especially when you try to solder one pin :)
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #6115 on: April 13, 2018, 12:11:05 pm »

Right, I used this to solder the DIP socket and MIDI connectors when I sold my C64 Kerberos MIDI cartridge:

because additional cost for through-hole assembly is costly when you produce it in Germany. But I guess it is resistant to high temperature, because it doesn't melt or smoke, even if you solder pin headers, which is really nice with this frame, because no burnt finger nails anymore, especially when you try to solder one pin :)

Nice.

I generally use electrical tape to hold TH components in place when the PCB is upside down, however it has issues like softening. I might try kapton tape in future.

Offline Addicted2AnalogTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6116 on: April 13, 2018, 09:06:33 pm »
I know it's not electronics related, but it's got me giddy.....

Some of the parts for an LS1 Iron Block build that I'm partaking in:

LS7 lifters, LS2 lifter trays, Melling performance oil pump, new timing set, hardened chromoly pushrods, Elgin E-1839-P camshaft, degreeing wheel..

Too many upgraded parts to list!!! Entire valvetrain, pistons, racing bearings, etc all upgraded/new!

Needless to say.... I'M EXCITED!! 450 WHP on N/A LS1, here we come!! 

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6117 on: April 13, 2018, 09:14:59 pm »
I know it's not electronics related, but it's got me giddy.....

Some of the parts for an LS1 Iron Block build that I'm partaking in:

LS7 lifters, LS2 lifter trays, Melling performance oil pump, new timing set, hardened chromoly pushrods, Elgin E-1839-P camshaft, degreeing wheel..

Too many upgraded parts to list!!! Entire valvetrain, pistons, racing bearings, etc all upgraded/new!

Needless to say.... I'M EXCITED!! 450 WHP on N/A LS1, here we come!!
Yummy stuff, have fun.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6118 on: April 13, 2018, 09:29:54 pm »
Nothing like lots of bright shiny precision machined metal.   What's it going in?  Or is it just going to sit in the shop making noise and looking pretty?

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #6119 on: April 13, 2018, 09:43:38 pm »
I bought an expensive version of DaveCAD. Does that count?
Went all in and got the fancy Pencil as well. I still can't figure out how it works.

But I like it, the mix between PC and Phone. Now I can make quick digital drawings, I hope.
Anyone know of good drawing apps for engineering perhaps?

Offline Addicted2AnalogTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6120 on: April 13, 2018, 10:15:32 pm »
Nothing like lots of bright shiny precision machined metal.   What's it going in?  Or is it just going to sit in the shop making noise and looking pretty?

The #6 oil ring sheared off and gouged the cylinder wall, so the "old" aluminum block with it's 55K miles is the new garage wall ornament... the fresh build is going back into the '01 F body Camaro, or at least that's the plan at the moment.  My buddy has been tossing around the idea of converting it to carb and sticking it in a Miata or S2000 body, but I don't see that happening right away.  It'll more than likely stay in the F-body, which will get a new stall converter (yes.. it's an automatic... E40D) and Ford 8.8" or 9" rear end swap in the near future.   

We're curious to see whether the car is going to want to lurch forward at idle with the 112 LSA camshaft and Wilwood ABS delete since the new stall converter isn't happening until later. Other than replacing some fuel injector connectors, the only electronics related work I've done on that car is to pull the ABS indicator LED from the instrument cluster!! We're running a mail order tune on it until we can secure some dyno time after break-in...  Do any of the LS gearheads reading this have any recommendations for US based mail order tunes??

I can't wait though... to top off the greatness, we're painting it burnt copper and leaving the LS6 intake OEM black.. It's gonna be sexxxxxxxy!!

Heading over to the garage now to install the camshaft, timing set, oil pump, and heads!!

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #6121 on: April 13, 2018, 11:06:39 pm »
All that work, and an automatic? I don't understand, why would you do that?
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #6122 on: April 14, 2018, 01:22:24 am »
All that work, and an automatic? I don't understand, why would you do that?

Auto's are an up sell when new  :palm: I was buying a 98 WRX and had no amount of trouble getting one as a manual.

Spring component of the soldering arm installed while waiting for the coffee machine to warm up  :popcorn:

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline larrybl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6123 on: April 14, 2018, 01:36:01 am »
Yard sell find for $2.00 US. Plan to play with this with my Grandson, but I don't think we will build more than a couple circuits before he is bored. Question? This is almost mint, so any value? I do know someone that said he had the exact one when he was a kid in the 90's. What should I ask for it?

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6124 on: April 14, 2018, 01:45:59 am »
Just got that new magnetic pcb holder.. works great, tossed on the first thing i found in the junk box

doesn't move at all on my esd soldering rubber and paired nicely with an andonstar 302 i picked up for cheap

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf