Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2800981 times)

Offline rfclown

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #11400 on: July 21, 2022, 04:41:32 am »
I bought a nano VNA S-A-A-V2 a while ago (turns out it was a clone) and was impressed by the two 12 inch SMA cables it came with. They aren't your ordinary cheap cables. So I looked on eBay for someone selling cables with blue insulation like those. I found something and ordered three 12 inch cables: one RG402, one RG405 and one LMR195 from bydpete (about $4 US each). I just got them today and measured them along with two random RG316 cables (I have PILES of random RG316 cables accumulated over the years) and I like the LMR195 cable. I attribute the ripple in the S21 response to the SMA connectors. I read that the seller can offer cables with better connectors, so I've sent a message asking about that.

In the picture the cable that came with the nano VNA is on top. The three cables I just purchased are below it. The two random RG316 cables (beige color) are at the bottom. The RG402 and RG405 are semi-rigid, the LMR195 is more flexible. The nano VNA cable is also very flexiible. Wish I knew how to get some more of those. I used to work mostly <1GHz, but have more recently been doing stuff at 5.8 GHz. You can't just grab any cable out of your pile for that.

The following users thanked this post: Peter_O

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11401 on: July 21, 2022, 06:11:13 am »
Does yours also have auto-calibration mode ?

Yep it has internal calibration, and apparently it can self-level too!

It can be a bit scary buying a balance with internal calibration because you're supposed to "lock" the weight by turning a screw or something so it doesn't move while shipping but chances are when dealing with sellers on auction sites, they won't do this. Fingers crossed.

Now I'm on the hunt for a nicer battery powered one...for the two times a year I have a barbecue outside.  ^-^ (ignore the fact that I can't think of a use case yet)

Offline impetus_maximus

• Contributor
« Reply #11402 on: July 21, 2022, 10:13:15 pm »
Today a pair of probemaster testleads arrived I´ve bought by welectron- And the only thing I wonder is why only now ? ;D

Really good qualtiy...

https://www.welectron.com/Probe-Master-8017S-Softie-Test-Leads
they are fantastic, i agree. $25 probes on my $8 meter made it's continuity test usable.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11403 on: July 22, 2022, 12:29:54 pm »
From one of our local 'antiques' emporiums: Item described as "Old Tin" for £5, turned out to be an unused NATO Hellermann wire stripping set. It comprises a decent Ideal [Custom] Stripmaster automatic wire stripper with 4 different size sets of metric blades (15 diameters), a flat cable shear, and two different sized Ideal coax cable strippers, again with spare blades. Things needs a bit of a clean up due to age everything is clearly unused.

Edit: I've just looked up the prices of the mil spec Custom Stripmaster and blade sets. Maybe I should trade it for a scope!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 05:49:00 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh

Offline Oldtestgear

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11404 on: July 22, 2022, 01:40:27 pm »
I have been busy buying up even more test gear in the last couple of weeks. Not what I could honestly describe as " a score" as I paid  a fair price.

Not pictured are a Datron 4910, 3x Fluke 732A, plus a couple of high quality resistor standards by Welwyn but all included in my latest attempt to complete a home cal lab.
If anyone has information or manuals for the Datron 4901/4902S/4903 I would be grateful for any information about this antique setup. My plan is to upgrade my calibration equipment & sell whatever is surplus to get some of my money back before the next opportunity to spend comes along.  I hope that this will keep me happy for a long time but I suppose it all depends on what I find next.

Cheers

Phil

The following users thanked this post: Atomillo

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11405 on: July 22, 2022, 03:07:20 pm »
arrived today, a 'pb' < 18-hours from online order:
an RS-135 4-20mA Loop Calibrator & Thermometer (description from Instructional Manual)

aesthetically not exactly a looker and non-calibrated - but so is the 121GW I've just hooked it up to, they are at least both in agreement.

Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11406 on: July 22, 2022, 04:23:29 pm »
Something of an odd couple?

Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11407 on: July 23, 2022, 01:14:29 am »
couple made sensible with a wall port - the RS-135 is measure only for temperature

« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 01:16:32 am by armandine2 »

Offline RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11408 on: July 23, 2022, 02:34:10 pm »
A wavetek 2002A
1546519-0

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11409 on: July 24, 2022, 12:38:29 am »
A wavetek 2002A
(Attachment Link)

Waaahh!! I want one! ;D

I've been looking for them on eBay for years, but they are fairly rare.
We used to use them back in the day, when we ran out of RS SWOB Polyskops to take on maintenance runs.

The Polyskop was the "preferred option" & to be fair, is a bit more "user friendly", plus has that BIG screen, but a 'scope & a 2002A don't stretch your arms as much! ;D

Offline jasonRF

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11410 on: July 24, 2022, 02:32:41 am »
I just picked up a Picoscope 5244B on epay.  It is a 2-channel, 200 MHz scope with variable 8-16 bit resolution, 512 MB of memory and a built-in 20 MHz AWG.  Dave did a teardown of a model in this series (5443B) a bunch of years ago at a trade show.  I got it for $450 with the nice Picotech 250 MHz probes, which I think is a fair price since the retail was $1975 and the new version (5244D) goes for $2315.   However, the seller accepted my offer so quickly it makes me wonder if I could have gotten it for an unfairly low price!

In any case, it is quite the upgrade from the pico 2204a that has been my only scope for the past handful of years. 

The following users thanked this post: RAPo

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #11411 on: July 24, 2022, 03:13:39 am »
YALBOA:

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11412 on: July 24, 2022, 07:18:08 pm »
I just picked up a Picoscope 5244B on epay.  It is a 2-channel, 200 MHz scope with variable 8-16 bit resolution, 512 MB of memory and a built-in 20 MHz AWG.  Dave did a teardown of a model in this series (5443B) a bunch of years ago at a trade show.  I got it for $450 with the nice Picotech 250 MHz probes, which I think is a fair price since the retail was $1975 and the new version (5244D) goes for $2315.   However, the seller accepted my offer so quickly it makes me wonder if I could have gotten it for an unfairly low price!

In any case, it is quite the upgrade from the pico 2204a that has been my only scope for the past handful of years.

You snagged a real bargain, don't second guess it. That is if it is in undamaged  working order.
me jelly

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11413 on: July 24, 2022, 09:04:45 pm »
Tektronix 7L5 Spectrum Analyzer plug-in with OPT 25 tracking generator excellent condition but months to get payment, packaging  and shipping negotiations...finally hand carry on 11 hrs flights

Loading  in 7603 and 7904 Tektronix mainframes, the scopes needed astigmatism and geometry trim on Z axis PCB, for a bright, clear, focused and aligned display. Unearthed my old 7L12 as well

The 7L5 had A few flaky connections, after contact cleaning, in CAL, dated circa 1980!

Pix of both scopes and Spectrum Analyzers, with CAL Signal and HP 8640A with wideband FM modulation.

your thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 09:10:12 pm by jonpaul »
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline jasonRF

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11414 on: July 25, 2022, 03:58:14 am »

You snagged a real bargain, don't second guess it. That is if it is in undamaged  working order.
me jelly
I know you are right.  And it works great - used tinySA as source and bandwidth is 200 MHz as advertised, high-resolution modes show great detail, signal generator is really nice,  etc.   The cosmetic blemish I was expecting based on the ebay photo turned out to be a piece of scotch tape on the front panel that just peeled off!  I am very happy with it. 

But My neurosis has included a bad case of the doubters disease for as long as I can remember….

Cheers!

Jason

Online MegaVolt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11415 on: July 25, 2022, 09:26:04 am »
If anyone has information or manuals for the Datron 4901/4902S/4903 I would be grateful for any information about this antique setup.

This is a unique set. I envy you very much.

Here is everything that is on 4902:

Offline RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11416 on: August 03, 2022, 03:50:35 pm »
Picked up a second hand Hioki clamp on probe Model 9008

Offline mclute0

• Regular Contributor
  • Somnium aut moriar!
« Reply #11417 on: August 03, 2022, 06:28:17 pm »
I needed some new speakers for by my test bench and I came across some sales on Newark(Farnell) and I bought two sets of these Bluetooth ceiling speakers for $10.37usd (was $122.00usd) per pair.

For that price I am not expecting much, but they came today and I am unboxing now, will update here shortly.

It includes 24v 2.5Amp 50/50hz power brick.

The instruction book says enter 0000 as the Bluetooth pin, but that doesn't work. Password printed on the back of the active speaker DOES work.

no base, but given the stated frequency response as 60hz-120khz that is no surprise, not being an enclosure right now doesn't help much me either me thinks.

with 30watts RMS per speaker there is not a lot of volume being driven by my windows10 desktop, but for ~10.00 for a pair, I am pretty happy right now.

https://www.newark.com/stellar-labs/50-16617/6-5-active-ceiling-speaker-pair/dp/25AC5146
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 08:22:05 pm by mclute0 »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, edavid

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11418 on: August 03, 2022, 09:11:36 pm »
Thought I would need a laser engraver, so I bought one. Atomstack A5pro+. This was cheap to start with. First test, laser power was a little high (from the database).

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #11419 on: August 03, 2022, 09:24:12 pm »
Thought I would need a laser engraver, so I bought one. Atomstack A5pro+. This was cheap to start with. First test, laser power was a little high (from the database).
Thread were member beanflying has some fun with his:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/mechanical-engineering/40w-300x200mm-laser-cutter-engraver-vollerun/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, dl6lr

Offline mclute0

• Regular Contributor
  • Somnium aut moriar!
« Reply #11420 on: August 03, 2022, 10:14:13 pm »
Next up from the UPS man today!

https://www.vevor.com/dc-stepper-motor-c_11221/vevor-nema-17-stepper-motor-83-6-oz-in-high-torque-2a-42x48-mm-for-3d-printer-p_010392030792

I bought five NEMA17 steppers from VEVOR. Includes wire stripper/cutters and electrical tape, not sure why since they have dupont connectors.

I always laugh at the stuff on that site, like the chicken plucker drill attachment and the "VEVOR Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener Cage Closer Timer Light Sensor" and the "VEVOR Snow Melting Mat 10" x 30" Walkway No-Slip Heating Entrance Mat Waterproof 120v" but I saw these steppers and for ~$27.00usd with free shipping I decided to dive in for my next prototyping project, the "mostly 3d printed CNC"...

https://docs.v1engineering.com/mpcnc/intro/

I noted that steppers with the exact same listed specs and same part number except first two digits are 17 instead of 42 and the name is listed as Voron are available from
https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/

Also marked with CE cert labels.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 11:07:17 pm by mclute0 »

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #11421 on: August 03, 2022, 11:37:46 pm »
I bought five NEMA17 steppers from VEVOR. Includes wire stripper/cutters and electrical tape, not sure why since they have dupont connectors.

Oh it doesn't include the wire stripper, its equipped with a stripper:

【EFFORTLESS TO USE】- The stepper motor is equipped with a wire stripper commonly used by internal electricians, motor repairs, and instrument electricians to strip plastic & rubber insulated & cable core wires. Insulating rubber tape with excellent insulation performance and good adhesion to prevent leakage.

What a terrible thing to include with stepper motors. Someone out there is twisting wires together and then taping them up, making the worst connection on earth.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #11422 on: August 04, 2022, 02:48:26 am »

Big thing to be really careful with open Laser engraving or cutting is where the beam can go if reflected and what fumes/poisons is the material giving off. At minimum open doors and windows but far better put a proper cover over it with extraction to the outside both for your lungs and eyes.

So many MORONS with 'free' ones of theses on youtube literally blowing smoke up Bangoods ass while simultaneously sucking it into their lungs.  :palm: Play Safe  :-+
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: dl6lr

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11423 on: August 04, 2022, 05:18:27 am »
I had to restart a computer today and when I did, for some reason it couldn't get a network connection. I noticed the LEDs on the switch it was plugged into were blinking in a mad, crazy pattern. I tried the usual fixes but only bypassing the switch and going directly to the router worked. I used the same port as the switch, so the router isn't part of the problem. My NAS was also plugged into the switch and to get it back I'd have to disconnect a printer. No real problem as I have only used the printer once or twice in the last year, but I decided to buy a new switch just to put things back as they were.

I got something around 10 years of use from the switch, so I didn't have any problem buying its successor. It's even cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A128S24/

To ensure some future fun, I added the 8-port "managed" version to my order. Considering I now qualified for "free" shipping, it almost cost less than the 5-port version.

I'm thinking I should also buy some kind of back up router - just in case. Electronic stuff tends to fail at odd times for strange reasons. Last year, as far as I could tell, my cable modem died because of loud thunder.

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11424 on: August 04, 2022, 08:59:32 am »
Big thing to be really careful with open Laser engraving or cutting is where the beam can go if reflected and what fumes/poisons is the material giving off. At minimum open doors and windows but far better put a proper cover over it with extraction to the outside both for your lungs and eyes.

Used it outside for testing and probably will do so ever. Enclosure to come.
This atomar thing has no end stops  |O  Homing will run the mechanics to the ends and then fail  :palm: So have to take a look if and where to attach switches. Laser reflection is greatly reduced as the head is only 2mm from the surface.

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf