Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2800999 times)

jhenderson0107, Smokey and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #12475 on: September 19, 2023, 11:05:47 am »
True.  The SBC I ordered, which is thankfully a little "swiss army knife" of a thing and will find many other purposes.  (Zimaboard 832).  So it's weeky little intel low power CPU, 8Gb of DDR4, 2x1Gb NICs, 2xSATA3 ports, and the gem, a full 4x PCI slot.

The thing to be careful of here is the speed requirements on the buses becomes the bottle neck once you move into the latest gen storage hardware.

A Gen4 PCIe x4 M.2 NVMe drive is capable of over 6Gb/s on a single drive slot.  It will use 4xGen4 lanes.

I don't think there are any "micro form-factor" boards with even a Gen3 bus at x4 for the M.2.  Most are Gen2.

The AliExpress NAS boards for example, which everyone is using to builds "NAS" boxes, has an M.2 slot yes.  However it's only a 1x and it's only PCIe gen 2.  People are then putting 4x or 5x SATA adapters into that slot and then putting a ZFS RAIDz1 or RAIDz2 on it full of SSDs.

A Gen2 X1 M.2 Slot isn't even capable of maxing out 2 SSDS.  It will be limited to around 1Gb/s and will never saturate the Gb links.

5x HDDs spinning rust... sure.  But who actually buys HDDs these days?  Unless you are a video creator with massive 10-50Tb bulk storage media drives... SSDs are the present.

One of the purposes I have for the "storage focused server" is in service container volumes over the network to the VMs/Containers/Docker stacks.  I have yet to determine if this is best done on a "Checkout and commit" style pattern so volumes are then located with the pods/containers locally, but managed centrally and sync'd back home periodically... or...  direct live NFSv4 shares with multi bonded links so that the NFS server and Virtualisation host have EXTREMELY fast access to those "mirror'd" pair of M.2s.

The later may result in just too much network "chatter" and too much instability, but I need the hardware in place to even test out which I prefer.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #12476 on: September 19, 2023, 11:10:21 am »
The RK3588 based boards are PCIe3.0 and providing whoever makes them x4 is 'normal'. The OrangePi5+ I am playing with is heading for an old Nvidia Quadro GPU next on a NVMe - PCIE riser card as there is factory ARM64 drivers to play with.

The dual drive thing is for me just a plaything to see if it can be done  ;D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12477 on: September 19, 2023, 11:17:17 am »
The RK3588 based boards are PCIe3.0 and providing whoever makes them x4 is 'normal'. The OrangePi5+ I am playing with is heading for an old Nvidia Quadro GPU next on a NVMe - PCIE riser card as there is factory ARM64 drivers to play with.

The dual drive thing is for me just a plaything to see if it can be done  ;D

Fun stuff.  I tried a dual M.2 Riser card in a Dell Optiplex and got 1 drive.  Expected.
I then tried the same dual riser card in a brand new B550 Asus Prime board and ....  1 drive.  No 4x2 bifurcation support.
I then tried it in the X570 Crosshair Hero 8.  Along side the Gtx3080 in x8 mode and it bifurcated it and gave me 2x full Gen4 M.2 drives.

I promptly put those into a "Windows striped volume" and use it for "Steam games" and video editing scratch drive.  It's completely unreliable and a single corruption takes out both disks, but it has "replacable class" media on it.  The speed on krystal disk mark is 11,700MB.s.  11 Giga bytes per second.

IRL though.  Game loading and scratch driving produce a large number of "random access reads", which, surprisingly (?) will drop an M.2 down to a tenth of it's full speed at sequential.  I believe that is the DRAM cache on the SSD working at it's best in "read ahead" mode.  When you start hitting it with random access for single blocks, I believe it crashes out the cache on the drives and bottle necks them.  Put another way.  A game which took 1 minute to load of a "consumer 500Mb SSD", still takes 35 seconds to load on a supposed 11Gb/s M.2.

Edit:  There is talk about games starting to be optimised for performance SSDs.  Previously game devs moved to "cabinet" or monolithical "dat" files to speed up loading due to seek times on HDDs.  When SSDs became the norm and the seek time went from microseconds to picoseconds, the became lazy and went back to "catalog" folder structures and millions of small assests.

It seems they are having to go back the other way as gamers are realising an SSD/M.2 hit with constant random reads does not perform well.  With modern consoles getting M.2 this time round, the "talk" is in a redesign (again) or assest management to improve load times.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 11:22:14 am by paulca »
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12478 on: September 19, 2023, 02:01:04 pm »
I might be missing something, but how does the PCIe expansion fit? I mean, I can see there is a PCIe socket on the side, but all the cards that might fit look like normal PC cards with fittings for the case. But the Zimbaboard doesn't appear to have any way of securing a card, so it is hanging there in the breeze. Couldn't fine any cases or anything to solve that either - have I missed something or is it expected that this is just a dodgy don't breath on it hack?

Offline vk3em

• Contributor
« Reply #12479 on: September 19, 2023, 02:13:01 pm »
Have been using pill boxes for storing and picking SMT components but found these on LCSC and just had to have them

The following users thanked this post: jonovid

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12480 on: September 19, 2023, 03:14:17 pm »
I might be missing something, but how does the PCIe expansion fit? I mean, I can see there is a PCIe socket on the side, but all the cards that might fit look like normal PC cards with fittings for the case. But the Zimbaboard doesn't appear to have any way of securing a card, so it is hanging there in the breeze. Couldn't fine any cases or anything to solve that either - have I missed something or is it expected that this is just a dodgy don't breath on it hack?

Swiss army knife, not chef's knife.

People 3D print brackets and the like.  In my case it's very likely to end up in a corner collecting dust and not be bothered.

However.  I do agree.  If you were to, say, knock this off the bench onto the floor, it will almost certainly snap the PCIe card AND destroy the socket, if it doesn't short the PCIe bus out and fry it.

EDIT: The way I looked at it.  It's basically a near like for like replacement for a Dell Optilpex eWaste recon box.  Except it's half the size, half the power and twice the number of NICs.

Still think they should put 2xm.2 slots on the back of it and stop teh SATA ports for the next version.  Assuming the pissy little CPU can actually shift data.  That remains to be tested.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 03:17:10 pm by paulca »

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12481 on: September 19, 2023, 04:12:57 pm »
OK, thanks. I could find a use for it as it is, I reckon, but the PCIe connector just plays with my mind. Surprised they didn't make a backplane card of some sort to allow this kind of expansion whilst adding decent mechanical support too.

Offline TizianoHV

• Regular Contributor
    • My Website
« Reply #12482 on: September 19, 2023, 04:20:34 pm »
SH72 soldering iron, I don't know why it's so underrated here on eevblog but after some use, I think it has really good value for the money (for beginners).
I bought it on AliExpress for 17€ shipped and if you search you can buy spare tips for just 3€ (They are a bit light, but they are ok for small stuff).

The tips are not the shortest (quite the contrary), but I have no problem with that. You should go with the BC2 tip: it has a flat head that permit good heat transfer and it’s good for soldering SMD.

12-24V power up to 60W. I use it at 12V, and I can solder THT connectors fine. It gets power via a barrel jack, but I removed it in favor of a nice flexible cable.

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12483 on: September 19, 2023, 04:24:59 pm »
OK, thanks. I could find a use for it as it is, I reckon, but the PCIe connector just plays with my mind. Surprised they didn't make a backplane card of some sort to allow this kind of expansion whilst adding decent mechanical support too.

I'll let you know how it goes when it arrives.

The following users thanked this post: PlainName

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #12484 on: September 19, 2023, 10:35:38 pm »
SH72 soldering iron, I don't know why it's so underrated here on eevblog but after some use, I think it has really good value for the money (for beginners).
I bought it on AliExpress for 17€ shipped and if you search you can buy spare tips for just 3€ (They are a bit light, but they are ok for small stuff).

The tips are not the shortest (quite the contrary), but I have no problem with that. You should go with the BC2 tip: it has a flat head that permit good heat transfer and it’s good for soldering SMD.

12-24V power up to 60W. I use it at 12V, and I can solder THT connectors fine. It gets power via a barrel jack, but I removed it in favor of a nice flexible cable.

If you can up the budget by $8, ksger C210 for $25: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005519807256.html Performance and ergonomics will blow you away.
Mostly small size tips though, more for SMD.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: TizianoHV

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12485 on: September 20, 2023, 07:40:40 am »
First thing that popped out at me with that Ksger was "12V 5A" and "70W". No doubt doesn't affect functionality, though :)

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #12486 on: September 20, 2023, 11:09:43 pm »
First thing that popped out at me with that Ksger was "12V 5A" and "70W". No doubt doesn't affect functionality, though :)

The current I see at 12V is 4.5A so 54W. You can raise the input voltage up to 20V and you'll easily hit that 70W figure (as its a resistive heating element).
But... the C210 tip from JBC is rated for ~20-25W?, so you're already massively overdriving the tip at that point. There are settings for current limiting in the menu, though they don't seem to work that well and there is no manual to explain them.

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #12487 on: September 20, 2023, 11:39:30 pm »
Went thrifting today, found a pleasantly plump old DC power supply, looks like 1970s vintage, a chunky black box with two meter movements.
A Zurich (I know the city but not the company!) DPS-712M
But they still make em, looks like.
http://www.zurich-electric.com.tw/zu-p01.html

Didn't really need it, but it has speaker terminals for output which might be handy for bare wires, and for running my LiPO charger.
25$ but hey, no shipping and this thing's heavy!
Also thrift stores charge more these days.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #12488 on: September 21, 2023, 06:31:49 am »
smooth brass shaft extensions for any miniature tuning capacitor or gangs used in most analog AM/FM transistor radios of the 80s.
with this brass shaft extension any 6.5mm smooth shaft knob can be used with it.
sold in packs of 10 brass extensions with 2mm mounting screws.
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12489 on: September 22, 2023, 11:26:44 am »
I don't suppose I'll build an eez bb3? ... but I have ordered an Arduino Due  :-DD

edited to add link - the Due is not used in an eez bb3, but it was in its predecessor eez h24005

https://www.crowdsupply.com/envox/eez-h24005/updates/the-h24005-is-dead-long-live-the-bb3
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 12:42:37 pm by armandine2 »
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Online OneGeekGuy

• Contributor
« Reply #12490 on: September 23, 2023, 08:02:26 pm »
I got this Agilent 34401A, maybe not the best price but in really good condition, I still need to to check it. Looks like was barely used. My first 6 1/2 digits multimeter. I might open it and check the statua of the elec caps and general inspection. Old tool but very excited about it! The VFD is in perfect condition which is also important.

The following users thanked this post: wkb

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #12491 on: September 23, 2023, 08:13:08 pm »
My first Fnirsi:

It is a USB power analyser with USB-A and USB-C connectors. Not the cheapest one but it can also read e-marker information from a cable.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 08:15:08 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: HighVoltage, Mortymore

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12492 on: September 25, 2023, 10:21:39 am »
I don't suppose I'll build an eez bb3? ... but I have ordered an Arduino Due  :-DD

edited to add link - the Due is not used in an eez bb3, but it was in its predecessor eez h24005

https://www.crowdsupply.com/envox/eez-h24005/updates/the-h24005-is-dead-long-live-the-bb3

not so many tutorials on the due :palm:

edited to add obligatory  blink
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 09:24:10 pm by armandine2 »
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12493 on: September 25, 2023, 04:23:00 pm »
Another Hameg analog scope, HM 204, 20 MHz, 2 ch with delayed time base.
Mint cond, 100% working, with manual in French...
EU40 at Paris street sale, Sunday.

Jon

Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #12494 on: September 26, 2023, 11:02:33 pm »
cheap glazed ceramic insulators
in sets of 5 pieces.  available in 4 colors.
I add the dimensions.
the intended use of the chinese insulators is to hold mains voltage wire
as in 1930s vintage style house electrical wiring.
somewhere in the back of nowhere this is the electrical code.
just in case anyone is interested.
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #12495 on: September 27, 2023, 09:59:07 am »
VESSEL Ceramic Adjustment Screwdriver.

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12496 on: September 27, 2023, 11:16:16 am »
FREE: Harvest of Chestnuts from Jardi du Luxembourg, Paris 6th

roast with microwave !

j

« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 02:17:52 pm by jonpaul »
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline Kim Christensen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12497 on: September 27, 2023, 07:22:08 pm »
  roast with microwave !

As long as you are 100% sure that those are the edible variety...

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12498 on: September 27, 2023, 08:23:38 pm »
  roast with microwave !

As long as you are 100% sure that those are the edible variety...

No doubt we will figure that out in a few days :)

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #12499 on: September 27, 2023, 09:38:19 pm »

roast with microwave !

The hard part is always figuring out how to cut the X in them before cooking though. Unless you like to blow things up.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf