Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2801022 times)

wkb, jhenderson0107 and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Kim Christensen

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #12825 on: January 21, 2024, 12:56:37 am »
Knob on the popper is a dimmer in series with the heating element to lower the heat. Without it, this popper roasted WAY too fast.

So that's a modified hot air popcorn popper?
How long does it take to roast the beans in that?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #12826 on: January 21, 2024, 12:57:34 am »
Out of Coffee  :scared:

I started with a bowl and heatgun as a popper load was never enough  :-DD The popper I did get for a play actually ran slow out of the box and they are a mixed bag of power and like you did can be modded including a taller chimney to help keep the beans inside.

Day old is a bit lively and your flavours haven't developed fully but on a lighter roast for brewed 3-5 days is about spot on. For Espresso or if you like a darker roast then 5-10 days is about right for most.

For anyone else tempted attached is my quick and dirty poor mans guide to roasting. Most of us have what is needed already and Green Beans are not to hard to find in smaller quantities.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: abeyer, cte

Offline rfclown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12827 on: January 21, 2024, 01:52:17 am »
Knob on the popper is a dimmer in series with the heating element to lower the heat. Without it, this popper roasted WAY too fast.

So that's a modified hot air popcorn popper?
How long does it take to roast the beans in that?

20+ years ago I used to roast in this popper all the time. When I first tried it, it would be over done in less than 5 minutes. I put a dimmer switch in-line with the heating coil, assuming it would just burn up, since the dimmer said "600W" and I think the popper said 1200W. I just tied it onto the outside of the popper since I thought it was a temporary experiment. Lo and behold it worked, and eventually I put the dimmer inside the case. I can adjust the heat from too hot (as it was), to too cold (never roast). I have it set to a point where 2nd crack occurs around 9 minutes. Back when I did this as my regular way of doing coffee, I would buy green beans from a local roaster for I think $3 a pound less than he charged for his roasted coffee. I was the only coffee drinker in my house (kids all young). My primary motivation for roasting was that if I bought a whole pound of roasted coffee, it wouldn't be fresh enough for my tastes when I got near the end of the bag. I generally drink a morning and an afternoon cup. That's all. I grind enough for a few days, which for my tastes is fine.

Later I changed my coffee habits and started drinking espresso. I couldn't figure out how to roast anything that I liked as well as Starbuck's, so I gave up roasting. With medium roast, I could roast such that it tasted the same to me as the local roaster's coffee. I'm thinking now that for espresso I roasted too fast and too dark. Starbuck's is really dark, and when I roast to that color, it just tasted burnt.

The following users thanked this post: Kim Christensen

Offline rfclown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12828 on: January 21, 2024, 01:59:24 am »
Out of Coffee  :scared:

I started with a bowl and heatgun as a popper load was never enough  :-DD The popper I did get for a play actually ran slow out of the box and they are a mixed bag of power and like you did can be modded including a taller chimney to help keep the beans inside.

Day old is a bit lively and your flavours haven't developed fully but on a lighter roast for brewed 3-5 days is about spot on. For Espresso or if you like a darker roast then 5-10 days is about right for most.

For anyone else tempted attached is my quick and dirty poor mans guide to roasting. Most of us have what is needed already and Green Beans are not to hard to find in smaller quantities.

I know I've read your thing in the past, but I'll have to read it again. My popper doesn't have any issue with the beans coming out of the chimmey. I like how the chaff just get blown off as it roasts (I do it outside), and it stirs itself. I'm glad you mention the longer sitting time for dark roast. I would never have guessed that long. I think I used to wait 3 days for medium roast.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12829 on: January 21, 2024, 02:07:31 am »
With my Espresso blend I roast each of the beans separately and one of the beans in particular I roast 7-10 days before the others to let it settle before blending it together with the others. So that bean in particular you are drinking at nearly 3 weeks+. Indian Monsooned Malabar btw and only 15% of the roast as it has a very large personality  ;)

The Plastic loader on yours is a lot taller than most of the modern ones so the beans should be ok without a chimney.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline rfclown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12830 on: January 21, 2024, 02:21:47 am »
One of the three bags I bought is an "Espresso Blend", but I have no clue what's in it. Website didn't say, and I thought I'd take a chance. I only roasted 1/3 cup of each. The Espresso Blend actually smells the best at this point, followed by the Java.

...edit... I was wrong. Just looked at the website and they have a picture which shows Sumatra, Ethiopia, Brazil and Robusta. I wouldn't think I'd like that mix, but we'll see.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 04:18:59 am by rfclown »

Offline RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12831 on: January 21, 2024, 06:02:24 pm »
A HP 3312A function/sweep generator.

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #12832 on: January 22, 2024, 12:17:28 pm »
I needed some 18AWG wire with 3.96mm connectors, so I bought this cheap crimping tool from Aliexpress and I'm very happy with it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 12:50:45 pm by gamalot »

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #12833 on: January 22, 2024, 01:27:44 pm »
12 Zigbee GU10 smart bulbs and some smart switches.  IKEA are discontinuing some of the TRADFRI bulbs and they are quite good, so at £3 a piece I could hardly resist.  I already got the switches to work with Home Assistant to control some lighting scenes in my house.   I plan to replace the hallway pendant light with some nicer spotlights which will go well with later redecoration.  My cloudless smart home adventures continue.

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #12834 on: January 22, 2024, 01:54:45 pm »
I found a amp/speaker switchbox while thrifting... couldn't believe it. That's not a household item, at all, IMO. It's the kind of thing audio stores would hook up different amps and different speakers to compare.
Why not? It was 15$ and very heavy. That's all I need to know!
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline YurkshireLad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12835 on: January 22, 2024, 02:06:07 pm »
About a week ago, I picked up an AD9833 Programmable Waveform Generator, so I could mess around with basic signal generation. I also grabbed a couple of accelerometers, though I can't remember which particular types.

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12836 on: January 22, 2024, 07:58:08 pm »

After a couple of hiccups  :palm: with my SMD version I just bought a handful of these THT ammeter kits.

... arrived today. Not so many instructions  :palm: ...but we have a picture and aforementioned video  :-+
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12837 on: January 23, 2024, 07:10:43 am »
Preparations for inbound heavy metal. -17% discount on local evilbay for another week or so.

So maybe time to look at a heavy duty Fluke Amplifier now I will be able to lift it  >:D

Seriously it is because I am getting OLD'er and powerlifting 80kg+ Coffee machines, full sheets of steel, Lathes, CNC gear and general bits is just not worth the downsides.

Online wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12838 on: January 23, 2024, 08:11:11 am »
A HP 3312A function/sweep generator.

Markplaats find?

Offline RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12839 on: January 23, 2024, 08:55:59 am »
yes!

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12840 on: January 23, 2024, 06:26:25 pm »

After a couple of hiccups  :palm: with my SMD version I just bought a handful of these THT ammeter kits.

... arrived today. Not so many instructions  :palm: ...but we have a picture and aforementioned video  :-+

You might also be interested in the ICL7135 - more counts and it is easily interfaced with an MCU - for instance for recording the measurements or for displaying on pixel-based display.

The following users thanked this post: armandine2

Offline RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12841 on: January 24, 2024, 03:31:59 pm »
I've ordered a jumperless in a matteblack case.

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12842 on: January 24, 2024, 04:35:07 pm »

What an interesting thing! Do you have any specific plans for it or just playing (which is totally understandable)?
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12843 on: January 24, 2024, 05:06:50 pm »
I have had a CFA. As a result my left hand is somewhat handicapped. I want to make it easy for myself: no more (or less) fumbling with jumpers.

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12844 on: January 24, 2024, 08:55:41 pm »

I feel better now, after shelling out similar for an HP-16C  :palm:
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12845 on: January 24, 2024, 09:00:12 pm »

... it is possible to put the ic socket and LED displays in each other's location, solder - and then fail to recover the pcb (after doing one correctly first time:-//)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 10:23:39 pm by armandine2 »

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #12846 on: January 25, 2024, 12:05:49 am »
A Melitta bean-to-cup coffee machine.  Cost around £250, it seems to be a model they are discontinuing soon as most places have no stock now. I'm hoping it ends up lasting longer than our previous espresso unit which managed 3 years but struggled with anything other than very well ground coffee.  In the end that one died because despite occasionally descaling it, the heater block became permanently scaled up and the high pressure hose just burst off, spewing hot high pressure water all inside the machine.  I probably could have fixed it but would need a new block which didn't seem to be sold anywhere.

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12847 on: January 25, 2024, 08:56:53 am »
A Melitta bean-to-cup coffee machine.
That is a very good machine, I have a similar one, compared to a Krupps I had before: coffee is better, much lower noise and easier to clean coffee grounds

Offline RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12848 on: January 25, 2024, 01:39:22 pm »
I'm guilty of that sin too. Not once but for every voyager model, prime and HP41CX.

Offline RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12849 on: January 25, 2024, 03:41:02 pm »
Look at that beautiful sine

The following users thanked this post: cte

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf