Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2800983 times)

Smokey and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #1600 on: June 16, 2016, 12:34:42 pm »
Congrats BFX! You've probably got the best equipment bench in Slovakia by now :)
Hmmm some network analyzer is missing in my collection  8)

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #1601 on: June 16, 2016, 12:44:21 pm »
The Fluke TLK-225-1 is on sale on Amazon, it seems. At least in Spain and UK.

60 euro in Spain, 51.25 pounds in UK. It's a Spanish seller (Onda Radio).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fluke-TLK-225-1-SureGrip-Master-Accessory/dp/B004V3KRBE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1466080975&sr=8-2&keywords=tlk-225

I've purchased a set and it's the real thing :)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1602 on: June 16, 2016, 12:51:18 pm »
Found this AVO meter locally, with the original leather case! I couldn't pass it up, this will go great with my Simpson 260's!

Leather case is easy to restore provided it is not too badly cracked, using just a tub of Dubbin, or saddle soap if you want to keep the hard finish.Dubbin on the strap though will make it soft again and stop it cracking further.  You just use a thin layer on the surface and leave an hour or three then gently work it in with a clean cotton cloth.

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #1603 on: June 18, 2016, 06:00:39 am »
1mOhm resistor  :)

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1604 on: June 18, 2016, 08:40:42 am »
Did you calibrate this 1 mOhm resistor to the instrument or did it show this perfect value by chance correctly?
How much was this resistor?
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #1605 on: June 18, 2016, 09:04:59 am »
Did you calibrate this 1 mOhm resistor to the instrument or did it show this perfect value by chance correctly?
How much was this resistor?

It was just a perfect capture by an amateur photographer.  :)

The R20 value of this resistor should be 0.000999974 ohm

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #1606 on: June 18, 2016, 09:07:30 am »
Technically, I bought it two weeks ago and it got here last Friday, but it's taken me this long to get the pics uploaded and labeled.

More nixie goodness courtesy of everyone's favorite online wallet lightening site - an HP 405CR.  It's a three digit autoranging digital voltmeter; this particular one was made in late 1961 based on the date stamps and serial number:

It was not well packed and sustained some shipping damage (the rack handle sitting atop the enclosure was attached when it initially went into the box, but a good hit along the way overwhelmed the screws and they failed in tension), but miraculously arrived relatively unscathed all things considered.  I plan to start a thread in the repair section in a few days once I get some time to start digging into it.  No, power hasn't been applied yet - need to check out the filter caps and rectifiers first.

It seems kind of bizarre to be working on a digital voltmeter that's full of vacuum tubes!

Additional pics and a quickie iphone video are in the gallery at:
https://pmanning.smugmug.com/Electronics/HP-405CR-Digital-Voltmeter

And now that it's way past time for bed (so much for some quick photo captioning!), it's time to crawl off to hit the sack for a while...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #1607 on: June 18, 2016, 11:00:39 am »
Hi Pat,
That looks great! More Nixie envy. Such a pity some people don't pack at all well. So much can be lost but it doesn't look too bad from the photos.

I had to laugh recently, one of our real tube guys at our radio club, (you can say a tube part number to him and he can tell you about it! he worked for Phillips when they made electronic stuff in Adelaide  http://www.philipstorr.id.au  )  was giving a presentation about restoring old radios, he is very brave and tackles ones with serious rust and as he liked to put it "the rulers of the universe" had visited, (he is a great fan of 'Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy'    i.e. mice)

A quick look at my recently acquired HP 5221B has one Nixie (MSD) not working, not sure if it is the tube or the driver, not easy to get to, the tubes look v hard to source.

Don't forget to post the progress!

Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Online bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1608 on: June 18, 2016, 11:25:50 am »
My last buy was this one , from a forum member.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/various-agilent-test-gear-for-sale-(uscan-preferred)/msg949974/#msg949974

HP 53132A 225 MHz Frequency counter, option 010 installed
Excellent condition.

Luckily it has fw: above 3402 , so I have ordered & received a 3GHz prescaler (poland)

Now i just have to install it , and the 12dB fan i have for it.

/Bingo

Some measurement fun here
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/2-freq-counters-measuring-gpsdo's/msg955188/#msg955188

Offline Falkra

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1609 on: June 18, 2016, 01:27:38 pm »
1mOhm resistor  :)
Wow, this is... huge ! But nice !  :-+
I've never seen one like this before, thank for posting.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 02:13:24 pm by Falkra »

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
« Reply #1610 on: June 18, 2016, 11:25:53 pm »
Bought a book that I have been wanting to buy once there was a good quality used copy that was available cheaply.  Found this like new for only $15 inclusive of (media mail) shipping.

Have You Been Triggered Today?

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #1611 on: June 18, 2016, 11:31:23 pm »
Bought a book that I have been wanting to buy once there was a good quality used copy that was available cheaply.  Found this like new for only $15 inclusive of (media mail) shipping.

Sweet deal!  Congrats!

-Pat

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #1612 on: June 19, 2016, 12:15:14 am »
Hi Rob -

Hi Pat,
That looks great! More Nixie envy. Such a pity some people don't pack at all well. So much can be lost but it doesn't look too bad from the photos.

Thanks!  Yeah, got a bit of a queasy feeling when I picked up the box, felt the meter shifting around loosely inside and heard the clunk/rattle that the broken off handle and loose cuffs were making. Thankfully, it's nowhere near as bad as it sounded/I feared.  Good thing HP used to build them like tanks back in the day!  It's a crying shame that Keysight apparently no longer does, based on blueskull's recent experiences!  Ugh!

I had to laugh recently, one of our real tube guys at our radio club, (you can say a tube part number to him and he can tell you about it! he worked for Phillips when they made electronic stuff in Adelaide  http://www.philipstorr.id.au  )  was giving a presentation about restoring old radios, he is very brave and tackles ones with serious rust and as he liked to put it "the rulers of the universe" had visited, (he is a great fan of 'Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy'    i.e. mice)

Ai yi yi - mouse piss - that's a truly nasty one to deal with, and corrodes the snot out of everything that can be corroded it seems.  LOL - for the 'rulers of the universe', you'd think they'd be advanced enough not to pee and poop everywhere!   (Though on the other hand, looking at the state of the world perhaps 'rulers of the universe' is in actuality a much lower bar than what it is in my mind...)  Thanks for the link to his site; I just took a quick look and think I'll be spending some time poking about there.

A quick look at my recently acquired HP 5221B has one Nixie (MSD) not working, not sure if it is the tube or the driver, not easy to get to, the tubes look v hard to source.

Well, the good news is that the tubes (on mine at least) are socketed, so it's easy enough to switch them for testing purposes. 

The bad news is that they're a bear to get to (as you've already apparently figured out); due to the way it's constructed you basically have to take one of the cast Al side frames off in order to remove display window - it slides out to the side.  If memory serves, it should then be possible to disengage the little plastic nubs that retain the main board and slide it out to the front enough to access the tubes.  (The top lid must be off as well.)

The worst news is that those funny little upside-down bat type nixies seem to be about as common as hen's teeth. Mine had a bad one as well - it would sometimes light off - and it took a few months of waiting before one turned up on ebuy.  I'll dig and find out what part number(s) I had in the ebuy search function - I think it goes by several different ones.  I should probably extract the counter from the pile and put the new tube in it before the replacement goes astray!  I have to wonder if something like your nixie resurrector would do any good for the weak tube I have - might be something to cobble together and try out.

I just realized I never posted the pics of 5221; I'd started labeling them and getting them ready back when you got your counter but then saw a bunny and went off chasing it before finishing.  <edit> Or maybe I DID put them up but managed not to see the gallery there.  D'oh!!  Here's the gallery link in case you didn't already look at them:  https://pmanning.smugmug.com/Electronics/HP-5221A-Electronic-Counter   I'll get them up later </edit>, and perhaps start a thread on the counter in the repair section.  I don't know how far into dismantling it you've gotten, but perhaps they'll help you a bit.

Don't forget to post the progress!

Rob

Will do.

-Pat
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 12:21:12 am by Cubdriver »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #1613 on: June 19, 2016, 03:28:37 am »
At some point, this place had some of the inverted nixies, but I haven't seen any in stock.  :(

http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/nixie.html
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #1614 on: June 19, 2016, 05:11:02 am »
Yeah, Sphere had been my first hope too, but as you see it was a bust.  I was eventually able to get a replacement on the 'bay, but it took some patience.

Bummer that they're no longer easily available.

-Pat

Offline willb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1615 on: June 19, 2016, 01:59:46 pm »
Technically, I bought it two weeks ago and it got here last Friday, but it's taken me this long to get the pics uploaded and labeled.

More nixie goodness courtesy of everyone's favorite online wallet lightening site - an HP 405CR.  It's a three digit autoranging digital voltmeter; this particular one was made in late 1961 based on the date stamps and serial number:

It was not well packed and sustained some shipping damage (the rack handle sitting atop the enclosure was attached when it initially went into the box, but a good hit along the way overwhelmed the screws and they failed in tension), but miraculously arrived relatively unscathed all things considered.  I plan to start a thread in the repair section in a few days once I get some time to start digging into it.  No, power hasn't been applied yet - need to check out the filter caps and rectifiers first.

It seems kind of bizarre to be working on a digital voltmeter that's full of vacuum tubes!

And now that it's way past time for bed (so much for some quick photo captioning!), it's time to crawl off to hit the sack for a while...

-Pat

I recently got a 405 as well! I absolutely love it! Mine is the A version. It was in very rough shape when I got it. I did a very slow power up on a variac and all the electrolytic caps were OK! There was next to nothing on these beautiful meters online other than some HP literature.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/vintage-hp-weekend-haul-(nixie-tube-content!)/

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #1616 on: June 19, 2016, 02:38:13 pm »

-Pat
That is nice. :)
Sue AF6LJ

Offline canibalimao

• Regular Contributor

Offline grouchobyte

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1618 on: June 19, 2016, 04:54:30 pm »
Acquired this book by trading a piece of test gear for it.
Not bad and a decent LT SPICE reference book.

However, it takes the back seat to having Mike Engelhardt as a next door neighbor.  :-/O

@grouchobyte

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #1619 on: June 19, 2016, 07:47:21 pm »
https://photos.smugmug.com/Electronics/HP-405CR-Digital-Voltmeter/i-ZDJc34K/0/L/HP%20405CR%20as%20was%20Natasha-L.jpg

KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!  :scared:

:-DD :-DD :-DD  LMAO

Not necessary - (s)he was long gone when the meter arrived, and considering her dried out fragile state, is now undoubtedly resting in pieces in my central vacuum's bag after the long and convoluted journey through the corrugated hose and the twists and turns of the in-the-wall plumbing required to get there.

Thankfully, I've not had any live critters tag along with any of my evilBay buys.   :)

-Pat

Offline canibalimao

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1620 on: June 19, 2016, 09:48:40 pm »
https://photos.smugmug.com/Electronics/HP-405CR-Digital-Voltmeter/i-ZDJc34K/0/L/HP%20405CR%20as%20was%20Natasha-L.jpg

KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!  :scared:

:-DD :-DD :-DD  LMAO

Not necessary - (s)he was long gone when the meter arrived, and considering her dried out fragile state, is now undoubtedly resting in pieces in my central vacuum's bag after the long and convoluted journey through the corrugated hose and the twists and turns of the in-the-wall plumbing required to get there.

Thankfully, I've not had any live critters tag along with any of my evilBay buys.   :)

-Pat

Thank satan it was dead! I have a lot of issues dealing with spiders with more than 1 or 2cm.
To avoid them I do a lot of cleaning in my big electronics drawer  :scared:

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #1621 on: June 20, 2016, 03:43:03 am »
I recently got a 405 as well! I absolutely love it! Mine is the A version. It was in very rough shape when I got it. I did a very slow power up on a variac and all the electrolytic caps were OK! There was next to nothing on these beautiful meters online other than some HP literature.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/vintage-hp-weekend-haul-(nixie-tube-content!)/

Yes, I remember seeing the thread you started back when you got it, and just revisited it.  It cleaned up very nicely!!  I'm planning to attempt to re-form the caps before powering mine up and am hopeful - I've had reasonable success with HP caps thus far, as long as they aren't dried out completely (one in my 3439A meter) or don't have internal connections that have corroded open (one in a 3440A meter).  My fingers are crossed that these will come up and not require restuffing.

You're correct regarding the dearth of online info on the 405, though I have found an operating/service manual for the C/CR version in the HP archives website:

http://www.hparchive.com/Manuals/HP-405C-CR-Manual.pdf

I'm not sure how close this would be to your 'A' model, but if you haven't yet seen it it may be of some help.  Unfortunately, it doesn't have info on the decade counter/displays themselves, but treats them as black-box parts.  I haven't done any searching thus far trying to find info on the decade counters, so I have no idea what may or may not be out there.

-Pat

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1622 on: June 20, 2016, 02:31:31 pm »
I bought this DC standard Schlumberger / Adret 103A very cheap :) but of course broken.
I'm waiting for delivery but have anybody servis manual for this unit?

Offline Falkra

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1623 on: June 20, 2016, 03:18:35 pm »
Hi, very nice specs !

I looked a little bit and didn't find the service manual or schematics.

But there is a community here (one of the posts was similar as your request) :
https://www.facebook.com/Adret-Electronique-219145931488424/
And here the second member appeared to have it (but he didn't post or publish it) :
http://www.radioamateur.org/forums/index.php?/topic/32549-etalon-adret-103a/

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1624 on: June 20, 2016, 05:33:06 pm »
Hi, very nice specs !

I looked a little bit and didn't find the service manual or schematics.

But there is a community here (one of the posts was similar as your request) :
https://www.facebook.com/Adret-Electronique-219145931488424/
And here the second member appeared to have it (but he didn't post or publish it) :
http://www.radioamateur.org/forums/index.php?/topic/32549-etalon-adret-103a/

Thank you, have you account on this forum? Please can you ask this user for manual?
Because I don't speak French.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf