Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2801024 times)

wkb, jhenderson0107 and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #1675 on: July 01, 2016, 03:18:34 am »
Keithley 160 DMM - $25.00 plus 20 for shipping. I love the red nixie's!

Very cool!  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #1676 on: July 01, 2016, 03:30:55 am »
Nice little meter!   :-+  Good find.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #1677 on: July 01, 2016, 04:12:57 am »
Cool! I haven't seen a 160 before, nor red nixies. Not a bad price either. Does it need any work? Looks pretty good.

Seems to work fine on all ranges I have tried. There is a hand written note on the bottom that it was reading 0.3% high on the 100 mv range, the note is dated 18 Sept, 1988. I had a quick peak inside, I see some chips dated 1973.
The meter is very clean inside and out. There is an "Environment Canada" asset tag on the back so we know who has always owned it. It was listed for $50.00, I offered 25, they countered with 35 and I countered back with my original 25(I know, rather cheeky of me) but I really only wanted it for fun. Now that I have it here I think it is probably worth a little more then I paid.
VE7FM

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #1678 on: July 01, 2016, 04:15:58 am »
You countered with the same amount as your prior offer? That's amazing. I figured one would get the instant silent treatment in return. Fascinating. :popcorn:
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #1679 on: July 01, 2016, 04:23:20 am »
You countered with the same amount as your prior offer? That's amazing. I figured one would get the instant silent treatment in return. Fascinating. :popcorn:

Well I have received a near instant decline when trying it before. I always add a note with my offer - in this case I said I could only justify the 25 because I was buying it purely for fun. I also said that if it wasn't enough I understood. I'm never trying to make anyone angry and I never mind if they don't accept. The offer was good for 48 hours and with a few hours left the seller accepted. I guess they had no other offers. It may have helped the item was located in Canada. A lot of American's seem to avoid auctions in Canada so every now and then I actually buy something in country.

It is looking like all ranges are giving stable readings that look to be correct but I haven't verified what % error it might have.
VE7FM

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1680 on: July 01, 2016, 04:33:10 am »
You handled it well. Once or twice I felt that a higher price really wasn't justified. I may give it a go in a similar, well-explained manner, if the situation ever arises again. Definitely don't want to annoy the seller during negotiations. Thanks for the pointers.

Sounds like a really good find you have there.

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1681 on: July 01, 2016, 05:23:33 am »
Got one of these

http://www.bkprecision.com/products/power-supplies/1739-low-current-high-resolution-dc-power-supply-30-v-999-9-ma.html

on ebay.  Seller had it for "parts or not working", I took a chance and offered $88 (+$22 shipping).   It looks and works like new, even the calibration is near perfect.

Not sure if I would pay the $500+ street price, but I like it.  My only issues are that it powers up with the outputs on -- no good reason for that at all, and the 4mm jacks are just junk.  Output is exceptionally clean, virtually no overshot, fast current limit kick-in, nicely designed course/fine controls and totally silent operation, there's no stink'n fan!!!

[Clarification:  The 1739 boots up in the last (saved) state that you left it in.  If you turn the output off, wait 3 seconds (the stated time to save changes) then power off the unit it will boot back up with the output off.]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 01:20:59 am by kwass »
-katie

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #1682 on: July 01, 2016, 06:17:03 am »
So the output on/off switch on the B&K is a 'soft' key rather than a switch that mechanically latches, or something that sets a condition that the supply remembers when turned off and back on again? That seems like a poorly thought out design.  (Seems you think the same.)  I wonder what the thought process behind that decision was...

Otherwise, nice looking supply.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline bollio

• Contributor
« Reply #1683 on: July 01, 2016, 07:15:38 am »
I've been on a bit of the retro kick lately.  Picked these two up in trade for an early 2000's Sony amp that had sat on the shelf for about 10 years.  The Leader scope's power button was broken (at the switch itself, all the way in the back) and it was covered in solder splatter, both were quickly remedied and it looks/works great, just need to clean the knob contacts on Channel 2 and it'll be a flawless little 50Mhz 2 channel CRO. 

The power supply works somehow, but there's a HUGE burn and the remains of a resistor on one channel and the remains of an exploded diode on the other.  Had a close look and someone's jerry rigged it so that current limiting and voltage regulation work, but now the OC protection spikes it to negative voltages and the fine adjust knobs have some odd behavior.   Luckily, the original manual was included and it has a nice legible schematic.  Gonna restore the original circuitry and see how she does.  Looks to be a re-badged Lodestar 303d, dual tracking 0-30v 3a.

Sorry about the pic... the iphone strikes again...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 07:27:08 am by bollio »

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1684 on: July 01, 2016, 03:44:43 pm »
So the output on/off switch on the B&K is a 'soft' key rather than a switch that mechanically latches, or something that sets a condition that the supply remembers when turned off and back on again?

Exactly.  It nicely says "OFF" on both displays when the output is off, but powers up with the output's on.  If you hold in the ON/OFF button (briefly) while powering up it will startup in the OFF state.  I was thinking about embedding a little processor inside that will do just that.  If you hold in the ON/OFF for more than couple of seconds on power up it enters the calibration mode.  This allows you to calibrate the supply using just the front panel controls.   It also talks SCPI so that's another way to potentially solve this issue, by remotely controlling the ON/OFF setting.
-katie

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1685 on: July 01, 2016, 09:54:48 pm »
Hi

I got depressed after the Brexit vote (and realised everthing is going to go up in price), so I did some retail therapy.

So far I have received
dual laser non contact thermometer (on the right)
Transistor tester (also tests other components, bought it to check ESR on caps)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1686 on: July 01, 2016, 10:10:37 pm »
Got one of these

http://www.bkprecision.com/products/power-supplies/1739-low-current-high-resolution-dc-power-supply-30-v-999-9-ma.html

Output is exceptionally clean, virtually no overshot, fast current limit kick-in, nicely designed course/fine controls and totally silent operation, there's no stink'n fan!!!

Yeah, passively cooled linear supplies are the best. Since most of the gear in my lab is fanless, it makes the others seem really loud when I need to turn them on.

Regarding the output turning on by default, perhaps there's a setting to change that? Might even be only via SCPI.

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1687 on: July 02, 2016, 02:11:10 am »

I got depressed after the Brexit vote (and realised everthing is going to go up in price), so I did some retail therapy.

Really MosherIV, you needed an excuse to buy some more gear??? :-DD  :popcorn:

I concur that it is excellent therapy though!  :-+
Reviving my old hobby after retiring! Know so little...only one thing to do...watch Dave's videos and keep reading the forum! ;-)

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1688 on: July 02, 2016, 12:56:39 pm »
Got one of these

Output is exceptionally clean, virtually no overshot, fast current limit kick-in, nicely designed course/fine controls and totally silent operation, there's no stink'n fan!!!

Yeah, passively cooled linear supplies are the best. Since most of the gear in my lab is fanless, it makes the others seem really loud when I need to turn them on.

Regarding the output turning on by default, perhaps there's a setting to change that? Might even be only via SCPI.

If there is one, it's not documented.  The documented SCPI commands for the BK 1739 are really limited, but all work as described in the manual.
-katie

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1689 on: July 02, 2016, 06:26:33 pm »
OK, well that's a bummer. If you do embark on the microcontroller override project, I look forward to seeing more about it.

Offline bollio

• Contributor
« Reply #1690 on: July 03, 2016, 04:35:43 am »
A few binding posts... I found in the back of a closet and I was bored...

I'm sure I'll get a little flack for it, but hey, it's a $5 power supply with 12v, 5v, and 3.3v rails and OC protection.  I'm sure I'll find a used for it from time to time.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1691 on: July 03, 2016, 04:41:32 am »
Why flak? Lots of people make use of ATX power supplies that way. Hey, you put some otherwise-dormant binding posts to good use as well.

Offline bollio

• Contributor
« Reply #1692 on: July 03, 2016, 04:52:02 am »
Why flak?

Lol new to the board and well, to be honest it I've seen some amazing high spec kit on here so far!

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1693 on: July 03, 2016, 11:39:33 am »
Hi

Not sure how finding stuff lying around is in the spirit of the title of the thread but ok, if it makes you happy :)

Not giving you flak but some pros and cons:
Pros - atx psu cheap, various voltages, high current ouput
Cons - no current limiting, relativley noisey

Offline Falkra

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1694 on: July 03, 2016, 12:26:49 pm »
And no programmable voltage. But for the price and modification effort, it is quite handy.  :D
If you need more current, get a server psu, those are not really expensive, and can deliver tons of Amps.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #1695 on: July 03, 2016, 01:59:16 pm »
Cons - no current limiting, relativley noisey
And usually regulated on a single rail, which got me to stop using that kind of PSU for projects...

Offline bollio

• Contributor
« Reply #1696 on: July 03, 2016, 05:29:23 pm »
Hi

Not sure how finding stuff lying around is in the spirit of the title of the thread but ok, if it makes you happy :)

lol, i bought the binding posts!

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1697 on: July 03, 2016, 07:36:02 pm »
A few binding posts... I found in the back of a closet and I was bored...

I'm sure I'll get a little flack for it, but hey, it's a $5 power supply with 12v, 5v, and 3.3v rails and OC protection.  I'm sure I'll find a used for it from time to time.

Don't knock it. It certainly looks a little better put together than this

An industrial equipment elapsed hours meter on a PSU is fairly unique I imagine.

Thanks to julius oe. for that work of art!

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #1698 on: July 03, 2016, 08:00:33 pm »
Awesome. I wish I had photos of the "packaged in a cardboard box painted with a black marker" audio amp with VU-meters and "OMG high power" LEDs I built when I was a kid...
Mains PSU in the "perfectly insulated" cardboard box as well of course.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Falkra

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1699 on: July 03, 2016, 08:29:14 pm »
There's a topic about ugly repairs. I'll look for a topic about... so good looking... stuff.  ;D
I hope there is one.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf