Author Topic: Snake oil  (Read 790196 times)

Offline superUnknown

• Regular Contributor
Re: Snake Oil ,,,
« Reply #325 on: October 21, 2013, 03:20:43 pm »
Re: electro-psychic attack bs thing.

Am I only one who thinks it's beyond sick and totally disgusting that someone's gone to such efforts to take advantage of people in real pain who need real help?

Those guys are scum of the earth.
Really sad.

Offline Tris20

• Regular Contributor
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #326 on: October 25, 2013, 01:41:42 pm »
http://www.richersounds.com/product/all-headphones/jays/a-jays-four/jays-a-jays-4-iphone

"So what makes these iPhone compatible headphones special? Well, for a start take a look at the cable. The flat cable not only reduces the chance of tangle but also improves the sound quality. Just as with hi-fi speaker cables, better quality cable really does affect the ultimate sound quality. A further neat touch is the L-shaped plug that prevents snagging in your pocket and unwanted pressure on the headphone socket."

Since when did the shape of the cable determine the quality of signal? I must have missed that class at uni...

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
  • Asberger, aspi, HIGH function, nerd...
« Reply #327 on: October 26, 2013, 03:04:30 pm »
We are constantly bombarded with breaking scientific news in the media, but we are almost never provided with enough information to assess the truth of these claims. Does drinking coffee really cause cancer? Does bisphenol-A in our tin can linings really cause reproductive damage? Good Science, Bad Science, Pseudoscience, and Just Plain Bunk teaches readers how to think like a scientist to question claims like these more critically. Peter A. Daempfle introduces readers to the basics of scientific inquiry, defining what science is and how it can be misused. Through provocative real-world examples, the book helps readers acquire the tools needed to distinguish scientific truth from myth. The book celebrates science and its role in society while building scientific literacy.

Not a free download, link removed

« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 03:54:00 pm by GeoffS »
/Erik
Goooood karma is flowing..

Offline johansen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #328 on: October 26, 2013, 08:21:40 pm »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIX-REPAIR-REFURBISH-RENEW-Wind-Turbine-Battery-Bank-ACTUAL-CHEMICAL-MIX/190689284116

speaking of which.. the reason lead acid batteries these days are crap is because about 10 years ago all battery manufactuers world wide switched to lead-calcium grids instead of lead antimony.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #329 on: October 27, 2013, 03:24:13 pm »
At one time it was possible to get tablets at garages that you dropped into batteries to desulfate them, I have tried them many years ago and found that any improvement did not last long and flushing the batteries and refilling with fresh acid was better.
Back then where I lived there was a company called Cambridge batteries that would take a battery apart and scrape the sulphate off the plates and replace any plates and or cells that needed it and then reseal the batteries all that was stopped with the advent of sealed plastic cases instead of the hard rubber ones that were sealed with pitch.

Offline JohnnyGringo

• Regular Contributor
Re: Snake Oil ,,,
« Reply #330 on: October 30, 2013, 06:45:19 pm »
Re: electro-psychic attack bs thing.

Am I only one who thinks it's beyond sick and totally disgusting that someone's gone to such efforts to take advantage of people in real pain who need real help?

The placebo affect is real. If this contraption helps alleviates someone's anxiety, even one iota, it's a low cost, least harmful crutch. I've got some on order for all my family.

It's miles better than a tin foil hat, which we all know, only works with aliens.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #331 on: October 30, 2013, 07:08:49 pm »
It's miles better than a tin foil hat, which we all know, only works with aliens

I've had great success with using tinfoil hats to get people of of the Zone of Zero Funkitivity by alleviating their unFunkiness (a combination of stupidity and no dancing).

Sir Nose is the master of the Placebo Syndrome; however, more harmful crutches than tinfoil hats are usually the first line of defense to raising the funk.

Offline JohnnyGringo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #332 on: October 30, 2013, 07:16:06 pm »
It's miles better than a tin foil hat, which we all know, only works with aliens

I've had great success with using tinfoil hats to get people of of the Zone of Zero Funkitivity by alleviating their unFunkiness (a combination of stupidity and no dancing).

Sir Nose is the master of the Placebo Syndrome; however, more harmful crutches than tinfoil hats are usually the first line of defense to raising the funk.

I am dumbfounded by your clarity and wisdom. I am humbled in your light.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Offline IvoS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #333 on: October 31, 2013, 12:16:20 pm »

Offline kxenos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #334 on: October 31, 2013, 07:37:36 pm »
K-2 w/ ON/OFF - GHOST HUNTING /PARANORMAL EQUIPMENT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-x-K-2-w-ON-OFF-GHOST-HUNTING-PARANORMAL-EQUIPMENT-BRAND-NEW-/130941551776?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item1e7cb984a0

THIS IS FOR 5  BRAND  NEW K2 METERS............

The New K2........Now you dont have to use a coin to jam the switch to keep it pressed down......ON AND OFF SWITCH .....so now there is no mistake if you had it pressed correctly

The K2 meter is made in the USA and easy to use. It is completely silent as measurement readings are indicated by a row of LED lights. As with many EMF meters, the K2 uses the mG (milliGauss) unit for the measurement of EMF’s and ranges from 0 to 20+ milliGauss and has a frequency of 50/60 Hz.

The meter features 5 LED lights, which each represent a particular field strength range.

LightGreen(Normal): 0-1.5 milliGauss
Dark Green (Low): 1.5 to 2.5 milliGauss
Yellow(Caution): 2.5 to 10 milliGauss
Orange (High): 10 to 20 millGauss
Red (Warning): 20+ milliGauss
This model has a push on/off switch, meaning that you do not need to hold the button during use.
Supplied with Instructions And 9v battery fitted

Instructions included.........................You can also try asking questions with this, ask for a yes or no answer, ask them to light the lights for yes. I find this interaction works well with the K2..........Please check my ebay shop for other haunting/paranormal hunting items.....

IF SPECIAL DELIVERY OPTION IS TAKEN PLEASE NOTE THIS CAN NOT BE DONE ON A FRIDAY ....MONDAY TO THURSDAY ONLY....
 :-DD

Offline Phaedrus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #335 on: October 31, 2013, 08:17:06 pm »
50/60 Hz

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Seems legit.
"More quotes have been misattributed to Albert Einstein than to any other famous person."
- Albert Einstein

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #336 on: October 31, 2013, 08:44:58 pm »
One was when a vase (closina) just started rocking back and forth in it's base. No one was near it, but both my girlfriend and I saw it.  She just walked into the room and let out this *frightening* yell. I turned around and saw it rocking, as well.  Eventually, it just wound down, and stopped.  This event, by itself, I'd just blow off and say WTF, but with all the other evidence...  BTW, I'm a born again atheist, and don't buy into the afterlife, after death, after-anything BS.

If it's able to rock, it has a resonant frequency. Perhaps something nearby was vibrating very near a harmonic of that frequency, and just happened to settle there for long enough to get it going.

Or you have ghosts. That's more fun.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #337 on: October 31, 2013, 09:08:30 pm »
Electrical/mechanical would be much more likely than electronic. Your TV isn't going to vibrate a vase, but the refrigerator could easily do that. Lots of vibrations at not completely stable frequencies.

Some things science can explain, some things we'll eventually be able to explain, and... For things like this, science will never be able to explain.

Of course, science can't test something that only happened once, but you can't really claim it's unable to explain something until it's been tried, can you?

Resonance seems the obvious answer to me.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #338 on: October 31, 2013, 09:39:06 pm »
Try to explain this one. When my father in law died we had candles jumping out of their holders, the two candle sticks in question had been given to my wife by him, the candles came out so often that I looked for a reason and found that the candle stick had a ring bezel that the candles sat in that was free from the rest of the candle stick, so I took these rings of and pushed the candles right through the rings and then pushed a pin through the candle base riveting the candle in place if you pulled the candle the ring bezels came with them the next night the candles jumped up into the air and shot across the room, the bezels stayed in place on the candle stick, to stop this in the end I removed the candles and locked them in a draw. I have looked for a reason or how this occurred and cannot find any logical reason the force to pull the candle though the bezel stripping the pins is many time greater than that required to remove the bezels from the main body of the candle stick as they just sit loosely in the top of the candle stick and require no effort at all to remove tip the candle stick over and the bezels drop out.
My mother in law reckons that I must think I married a witch. :scared:

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #339 on: October 31, 2013, 11:02:06 pm »
Electrical/mechanical would be much more likely than electronic. Your TV isn't going to vibrate a vase, but the refrigerator could easily do that. Lots of vibrations at not completely stable frequencies.

Some things science can explain, some things we'll eventually be able to explain, and... For things like this, science will never be able to explain.

Of course, science can't test something that only happened once, but you can't really claim it's unable to explain something until it's been tried, can you?

Resonance seems the obvious answer to me.

I think it is mostly a reasoning thing with the people who observe these events (no offense to anyone here).

Case in point - my cousin insists that balloons floating into the sky in the distance is a sign from our dead grandfather, because she saw balloons floating away when we were at his funeral.  I tried to explain that because she has created this correlation in her mind, that she now noticed floating balloons that she previously never would, which only confirms her belief in it being supernatural.  She didn't understand.

Another case.  Another cousin claims he has some sort of electromagnetic ability/characteristic that he discovered when he noticed sometimes as he drove by a street light, the light would turn off.  I asked him how often street lights turn off when he isn't driving by, and he said "how would I know, I wouldn't be there?".  I said "exactly".  He didn't get it either :) 

People are funny.  And by funny, I mean insane.  And by insane, I mean worthy of poking fun at - in my cousins case, of course.
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #340 on: October 31, 2013, 11:05:31 pm »
Try to explain this one. ...

Insanity?

Case in point - my cousin insists that balloons floating into the sky in the distance is a sign from our dead grandfather, because she saw balloons floating away when we were at his funeral.  I tried to explain that because she has created this correlation in her mind, that she now noticed floating balloons that she previously never would, which only confirms her belief in it being supernatural.  She didn't understand.

It's funny - every time the phone rings and then the person hangs up before she can answer (obviously a wrong number), my grandmother insists that it's some sort of "sign" from her dead mother, or that she's trying to call her from heaven or something equally silly. But when she's in a more logical mood, she admits that it's probably not the case. Sometimes people just want to believe things like that, no matter how much they know better. :-//
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 11:08:55 pm by c4757p »

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #341 on: November 02, 2013, 04:19:01 pm »
Sometimes people just want to believe things like that, no matter how much they know better. :-//

Yeah, duh. ;) Why do you think we have such a crapload of religions infesting our otherwise fine planet? What, I am sentient AND I might die? Holy shit, hand me my mental crutch! I mean if we could all just agree to Hail Thor, patron god of frosty beverages, then everything would be just dandy.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #342 on: November 02, 2013, 04:54:16 pm »
The correct form? It's its.

;D

Offline CJWarlock

• Contributor
    • Ravedome - Independent Music Organization
« Reply #343 on: November 09, 2013, 08:38:57 pm »
Actually, practising some inner insight/calmness (i.e. during meditation or religious practices but I mean these done with engagement, not just some plain acting for the sake of showing off) may activate the pineal gland and the frontal lobe therefore rise the inspiration/creativity and empathy levels. But as I mentioned, this is true to those who practise because they like to, not because they think they should to. Without using these brain areas we'd have cynical consumer zombies roaming the Earth. Hey, isn't it the actual state already? ;)

Anyway, my point is to present the objective fact and remind that you can not cross out the very word "religion" (which AFAIK means "something that unites") just because there happen to exist many who misuse it (the word and the thing). It's called generalisation. And I like to derail a bandwagon from time to time, just for the sake of un-generalisation. ;)

BTW.Jumping on a bandwagon of rejective generalisation may be a sign of being unable to grasp the subject of generalisation itself. And/or a projection of some past, unsolved trauma/inner conflict. ;) But hey, speaking convenient cliches is so much easier than calming, listening and thinking. ;) No, I'm not a fan of any particular religion and I don't feel offended or anything like that. :) I just find it entertaining to debunk a bandwagonish generalisation by pointing some practical arguments. Hope you'll find them counterbalancing. Cheers.

As for the snake oil expression thing - actually, there is a benefit in using permament neodymium magnets, at least for their lifecycle (up to ca. 50 years AFAIR and with some decrease of their strength over time), so the savings on the input energy (to rotate a rotor) actually may come from the replacement of DC with pulse wave with low duty cycle. This is of course very simply put as I have some other things to do in a moment. ;) I just wanted to remind that factor because oftenly people forget to include the magnets' F and a duty cycle factor into calculations (which I don't think many EEV forum users would forget actually :) ).

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #344 on: November 09, 2013, 08:45:02 pm »
word "religion" (which AFAIK means "something that unites")

Since when?

I'm particularly a fan of the "perhaps from religare" part.

Offline johansen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #345 on: November 11, 2013, 01:40:50 am »
may activate the pineal gland and the frontal lobe therefore rise the inspiration/creativity and empathy levels. But as I mentioned, this is true to those who practise because they like to, not because they think they should to. Without using these brain areas we'd have cynical consumer zombies roaming the Earth. Hey, isn't it the actual state already? ;)

ehehe.. there is nothing to activate.. only other stuff to put in it. they tend to hang out in the second heaven if you know what i'm saying...

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #346 on: December 14, 2013, 12:02:48 am »
Audiophile snake oil is the worst imho.

Never heard of such nonsense, unbelievable what gets sold and prices for a placebo.

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #347 on: December 16, 2013, 05:38:50 pm »
Audiophile snake oil is the worst imho.

Never heard of such nonsense, unbelievable what gets sold and prices for a placebo.
Yea. $5k for some power cables that were made by nude virgins in utopia land.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline cloudscapes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #348 on: December 20, 2013, 04:48:06 am »
I want them to tell me why they think a $5k power cable makes a difference when you've got kilometers of average wiring outside in the air and under ground.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #349 on: December 20, 2013, 05:00:00 am »
I want them to tell me why they think a $5k power cable makes a difference when you've got kilometers of average wiring outside in the air and under ground.

There (highlighted text above), is your argument's fundamental flaw, they just don't do that.

I've done my part toying with these species, just join them calmly, while they're talking how a song sounds more brighter, deeper tone, more clarity and etc, just jump in and voice it out loud that you sense and taste the sound is more "caramelized" , "spicier" , "salt & sour like" and "fart smelly like timbre" and etc using food taste as the new jargon.  >:D

Two possible outcomes, either they will hate you ... or ... some morons will start to admire you and a new sound's character names you've invented are born, and will be added into their sound characters dictionary.  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf