Author Topic: Snake oil  (Read 790311 times)

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #500 on: August 25, 2015, 01:57:42 pm »
Yes, maybe someone should start a GoFundMe for audiophoolery busting :)

If they do, they should start here with AudioQuests "Theory & Education" whitepapers: http://www.audioquest.com/theory-education/ a joy to read. They even explain directional cables!

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #501 on: August 25, 2015, 02:09:19 pm »
McBryce: Do they also explain bi-cabling and the fact that lower frequency need a larger copper section that higher frequency audio stuffs??
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #502 on: August 25, 2015, 02:35:57 pm »
Yup, they certainly do! If you have a few minutes of your life that you're willing to sacrafice, try reading this one: http://www.audioquest.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/DoNoHarm-whitepaper-1222-11-r11.pdf

My personal favourite is the bit about the signals having to jump from strand to strand in multi-core cables and how they use the "ultimate test equipment: The human ear" to test which direction the copper best allows the electrons to flow in  :)

McBryce.

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #503 on: August 25, 2015, 03:53:18 pm »
Yup, they certainly do! If you have a few minutes of your life that you're willing to sacrafice, try reading this one: http://www.audioquest.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/DoNoHarm-whitepaper-1222-11-r11.pdf

My personal favourite is the bit about the signals having to jump from strand to strand in multi-core cables and how they use the "ultimate test equipment: The human ear" to test which direction the copper best allows the electrons to flow in  :)

McBryce.

Ohhh thanks for that nice reading, you should put a laugh/spray warning on this one because I nearly exploded and fall on the ground of laughing when I saw what I attached.
Is that something needed to really enjoy their product?

When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #504 on: August 25, 2015, 05:53:24 pm »
If you have a few minutes of your life that you're willing to sacrafice, try reading this one: http://www.audioquest.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/DoNoHarm-whitepaper-1222-11-r11.pdf

Counter Spiral geometry takes the group of negative conductors and spirals them one way while the group of positive conductors encases the negatives and spirals in the opposite direction. This ensures that there is minimum interaction between the positive & negative conductors, reducing distortion caused by the magnetic fields that surround each conductor...

If the magnetic fields are such an issue surely only plugging in one of the wires would reduce the interaction and "distortion caused by the magnetic fields" to the minimum leading to the ultimate listening experience...
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #505 on: August 25, 2015, 08:16:12 pm »
You're not seriously trying to argue against an Audiophile statement with logic and common sense are you??  You haven't a chance. :popcorn:

McBryce.

Offline FreeJoule

« Reply #506 on: August 31, 2015, 08:09:47 pm »
New innovative way to harvest free energy:

Just be careful, don't scream on the sack of potato!

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #507 on: September 01, 2015, 01:03:45 am »
For those who play video games, it remind me about a special potato:

-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline walterharriman

« Reply #508 on: September 03, 2015, 09:40:59 am »
Ars Technica tore apart one of these audiophool Ethernet cables a while back: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/07/gallery-we-tear-apart-a-340-audiophile-ethernet-cable-and-look-inside/ They also did a blind test on them. $1 to anybody who can guess the results...

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #509 on: September 16, 2015, 07:56:12 am »
Once I heard an Italian company claiming their resistor ladder audio DAC is more accurate than sigma delta based designs, and they use 0.1% resistors without oversampling! I would like to know how it is possible to achieve 24 bit accuracy (1/16777216, about 5.96*10^-8) from 0.1% parts without sigma delta modulation and dynamic elements matching. Even 16 bit converters require better tolerance.
Why it's simple - a gray beard hand picks the resistors by measuring them on an ancient tube resistance meter, then puts each one in a special oscillator jig and listens to it for one hour. Based on this he pairs the resistors together. These are sent to a secret isolated island in the pacific, where nude virgins hand solder the final assembly and weave cables from raw silver thread and moon light. This is sent back to the greybeards back home, where it is listened to most vigorously and the copper is again hand trimmed to the final specs by means of a fine file.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #511 on: September 30, 2015, 12:53:43 am »

Offline ciccio

• Frequent Contributor
  • Designing analog audio since 1977
    • Oberon Electrophysics
« Reply #512 on: September 30, 2015, 08:26:41 am »
Very interesting:
The all-natural elemental diode is in a formula base of forty-seven different energy frequencies. It is molded into different strengths and forms to be worn on the body or placed on devices that emit electromagnetic radiation. A diode is defined as a device with a two-element electron tube or semiconductor through which a current can pass in only one direction. The natural elemental diode’s energy current moves in one direction, giving a positive spin of energy. The elemental diode also acts as a rectifier by keeping the body’s energies and meridians in perfect balance.
so if I wear it on the wrong side my energy will be lowered?
I accidentally washed my Personal Diode. Is it ruined?
We suggest you place the diode in the sun to recharge its energy. Place in direct sunlight for 30 minutes on each side.

They invented a rechargeable diode.....
Best regards
Strenua Nos Exercet Inertia
I'm old enough, I don't repeat mistakes.
I always invent new ones

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #513 on: September 30, 2015, 08:36:07 am »
They should team up with batteriser to get a longer life time out of it.

Offline g.lewarne

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #514 on: October 03, 2015, 08:13:32 pm »
Very interesting:
The all-natural elemental diode is in a formula base of forty-seven different energy frequencies. It is molded into different strengths and forms to be worn on the body or placed on devices that emit electromagnetic radiation. A diode is defined as a device with a two-element electron tube or semiconductor through which a current can pass in only one direction. The natural elemental diode’s energy current moves in one direction, giving a positive spin of energy. The elemental diode also acts as a rectifier by keeping the body’s energies and meridians in perfect balance.
so if I wear it on the wrong side my energy will be lowered?
I accidentally washed my Personal Diode. Is it ruined?
We suggest you place the diode in the sun to recharge its energy. Place in direct sunlight for 30 minutes on each side.

Best regards

that is the most hilarious pile of utter bunkum I think I have ever read.  Sadly, there are lots of people who want to believe in this sort of crap.

I think I shall develop my own Crystal oscillation field balancer. maybe 32khz?

Offline Connoiseur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #515 on: October 08, 2015, 02:21:06 am »
What do they think? Their competitors use iron or nichrome in their products?  :-DD

Offline Stuart Coyle

• Contributor
« Reply #516 on: October 12, 2015, 01:20:20 am »
Three out of five people in a non-blinded trial failed to notice any difference using the pocket-diode. Surely it therefore works as advertised...ffs.

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #517 on: October 12, 2015, 03:52:29 am »
100% of the time, it works none of the time!  :-DD
Some of these are hilarious...  ;D

Offline GNU_Ninja

• Regular Contributor
  • Mostly Harmless

Offline Stuart Coyle

• Contributor
« Reply #519 on: October 22, 2015, 12:13:24 am »
I found this www.bobbeck.com the other day. There is a pdf that includes full schematics (for what that is worth). Perhaps we should encourage Bob Beck to take part in the OSHW movement.

The site also links to sota.com that manufacture the pulsers etc, they sell a thing with batteries, an led and an LM358 oscillator for $280.00. www.sota.com/silver-pulser.html Maybe the electrodes are pure silver?

I have a degree in physics and no idea how a 4Hz square wave is supposed to create colloidal silver, maybe Bob studied different physics to me.

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #520 on: October 22, 2015, 12:17:28 am »

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #521 on: October 22, 2015, 07:59:55 am »
I found this www.bobbeck.com the other day. There is a pdf that includes full schematics (for what that is worth). Perhaps we should encourage Bob Beck to take part in the OSHW movement.

The site also links to sota.com that manufacture the pulsers etc, they sell a thing with batteries, an led and an LM358 oscillator for $280.00. www.sota.com/silver-pulser.html Maybe the electrodes are pure silver?

I have a degree in physics and no idea how a 4Hz square wave is supposed to create colloidal silver, maybe Bob studied different physics to me.

Incomplete schematics, it doesn't show where you need to sprinkle the magical fairy dust!

And I was hoping to save myself about $279 by building my own :(

McBryce.

Offline Gribo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #522 on: October 26, 2015, 08:37:47 pm »
 :palm: This is horrible. It will be the main reason the cockroaches will win against humanity.
I am available for freelance work.

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #523 on: October 26, 2015, 08:45:39 pm »
But what Dave put on twitter today is even better:

http://www.madscientist-audio.com/magictubes.html
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline Stuart Coyle

• Contributor
« Reply #524 on: October 29, 2015, 02:29:43 am »
Let me guess...the black powder is pepper and the white is salt. Seasons your audio perfectly.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf