Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2805689 times)

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #10975 on: February 10, 2022, 03:47:28 am »
Bought Power Design 2005A already in Germany already converted to 230V, Photo not mine.

That is not a power supply, that's a piece of art.

Reading your message halfway, For short while I thought made a mistake. Bought it exactly for same reason.
Power Designs are not pieces of art. They are proof that aliens once descended on Earth and graced us with their designs...

The post below shows some impossibly tight specifications for my 5015A:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/looking-for-goodinexpensive-bench-power-supply/msg1370073/#msg1370073
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10976 on: February 10, 2022, 06:16:47 am »
Recently bought a 80v Greenworks electric shovel  and also chainsaw.

https://greenworkstools.ca/collections/80v/products/80v-12-brushless-snow-shovel-with-battery-and-charger

https://greenworkstools.ca/collections/80v/products/80v-18-chainsaw-2ah-battery

I have a 18v Ryobi Chainsaw but figured I will need something a bit beefier on my homestead property when I start clearing trees this summer, and the snow shovel is a nice backup to the snow blower. 

I've actually been quite impressed with the shovel.  So far I've manged to use only the shovel, and not the snow blower.  We have not had any serious snow fall since I bought it though, only like 10cm here and there.  Since it only shoots forward it does require some manual shovelling so that you can start off pointing it in the right direction and get around any odd corners but over all it works well and I'm quite impressed.  I can do the whole driveway on a single charge.    I've also put it through some snow piles that are much larger than it's really made for.  If I hover it over the pile I can kind of skim it.  The main thing is that it saves the work of having to shoot the snow into the yard.  So even if I do lot of manual shovelling first so I can even use it, it still saves a lot of work and time.  For when we only get a few cm of snow I'll just shovel the snow into a pile then use the electric shovel to shoot it out of the driveway.  Makes for a very quick job.

Also used it to get the snow out of the box of the truck.  Way faster than doing it by hand.

Have not used the chainsaw yet though.  I have a giant log in my garage from a tree I cut, so I may test it out on that and cut it into small slabs to use as some kind of crafts project or something.  Maybe a clock for the shop.

Electric stuff has come a long way in the past few years.   There's even a few companies selling full size electric snow blowers now.   Greenworks has snow throwers which are kind of a between, so I kind of hope they do come up with a full size snow blower too at some point so I can use the same batteries. 

Offline jogri

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10977 on: February 10, 2022, 05:11:35 pm »
Bought Power Design 2005A already in Germany already converted to 230V
What is done for rework on 220V

You just swap two leads to get the two transformer windings in series instead of a parallel configuration. Procedure is explained in the manual, did it for my 2020 and it took less than five minutes.

The following users thanked this post: MegaVolt

Offline alexanderbrevig

• Frequent Contributor
  • Musician, developer and EE hobbyist
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #10978 on: February 10, 2022, 08:39:30 pm »
A bunch of Alpha 9mm arrived for a synth project. Nice!

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10979 on: February 10, 2022, 09:21:04 pm »
Recently bought a 80v Greenworks electric shovel  and also chainsaw.

https://greenworkstools.ca/collections/80v/products/80v-12-brushless-snow-shovel-with-battery-and-charger

https://greenworkstools.ca/collections/80v/products/80v-18-chainsaw-2ah-battery

Electric stuff has come a long way in the past few years.   There's even a few companies selling full size electric snow blowers now.   Greenworks has snow throwers which are kind of a between, so I kind of hope they do come up with a full size snow blower too at some point so I can use the same batteries. 

How do you like the "snow shovel"? We got what looks like the identical unit - except the 120 volt corded model.. and so far I am not at all impressed. We've only had one tiny snowfall this year that justified bringing it out and bluntly, it seemed anemic. There was maybe five inches of snow and it could not be pushed forward into that little snow without stalling on it. Around the width of my hand, almost no snow, depth wise. Just enough to completely cover the grass.. and look pretty, and show what a piece of crap the electric "snow shovel" was..

I videoed it struggling, if you want to see it. Maybe there will be more snow, I hope not. Sometimes we get clobbered with snow and for times like that it would be nice to have a real snowblower. One that could hurl the snow off of our driveway with some force. But that was not to be with "Greenworks"

We had previously gotten one of their electric lawn mowers and we like it. Its quick and seems to have the power thats called for.. which isnt much here in our grass-farming subdivision.   So, great.

My wife had gotten it, for around $85 as a refurb and after its humiliation by the smallest storm of the year I wanted her to send it back. It really deserved to be sent back.

But I think the time to send it back had expired, so I think we're stuck with it. Ouch!  Maybe there is some aspect of it I'm missing. But I kind of doubt it. Let me know if you like it. Being well north of me, you'll probably get more snow than I to try it out on.

I have had a black and decker electric chainsaw for years and it works great. The most important thing with it is to keep it well lubricated wit the recommended oil. It needs to constantly be lubricating itself. Using the electric chainsaw, I have cut down and chopped into manageable pieces several small and medium sized trees, and saved us many times its price by buying it. So, definitely happy with it. I like the idea of electric tools, far less trouble than the typical two cycle engines used in lawn and yard power tools. But sometimes, you just need that power.. like with the snow shovel? Maybe. I guess we'll see nexttime.

Let me know how you experience with the battery shovel goes. I think we have one almost exactly like yours, except ours plugs into the mains power. (It has a fused plug)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 09:42:53 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #10980 on: February 10, 2022, 09:58:05 pm »

You just swap two leads to get the two transformer windings in series instead of a parallel configuration. Procedure is explained in the manual, did it for my 2020 and it took less than five minutes.

A bunch of the PD models did not have that option; and the 2005, IIRC, is one of them.

Looking at the service manual, this looks to be the case. Only one primary winding, and no mention of reconfigurable mains supply in the text.

I was -><- this close to buying that specimen, but I analysed my needs vs funds and concluded that I have other more pressing needs. Like fixing the Oltronix 3-voltage PSU that does not deliver anything above -0,5V on two outputs, for instance.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10981 on: February 10, 2022, 10:03:44 pm »
A company called Fieldcrest in the UK makes LC plastic sheeting material that costs very liittle that works as well or better for detecting shorts that generate heat. Everybody should own some..

That is where a thermal camera would shine. Power the bus with a current limiting power supply like 1V 200-500mA (start with less) and look at the board. The dead part will heat up and you will see it.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10982 on: February 10, 2022, 10:31:03 pm »
That is a lot of knobs to turn! Do you have enough hands?  >:D
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: alexanderbrevig

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10983 on: February 10, 2022, 11:48:04 pm »
A company called Fieldcrest in the UK makes LC plastic sheeting material

Got a link? A search only turns up bed sheets and the like.

Offline alexanderbrevig

• Frequent Contributor
  • Musician, developer and EE hobbyist
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #10984 on: February 11, 2022, 03:39:20 pm »
That is a lot of knobs to turn! Do you have enough hands?  >:D

It's for a eurorack modular synth for my dad (let's be honest though, I'm building one for myself and a friend too hehe)

Offline exor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10985 on: February 14, 2022, 09:13:53 pm »
This (sellers picture) with probe. Now I have to find something to fill up those two empty slots..

Offline sicco

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10986 on: February 14, 2022, 09:19:31 pm »
you’ll need a bag of electrolytic capacitors soon…

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline exor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10987 on: February 14, 2022, 09:32:06 pm »
That is not a problem ;)

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10988 on: February 14, 2022, 11:24:53 pm »
^ I much prefer the AM503B. The AM503 has way too many contacts and stuff in the range selector. The AM503B makes the range selection 'digital' and I've found over the years that it is rock solid in performance. The B also has better degauss/auto zero capability and a few other enhancements. Anyhow, good luck.

cheers,
george.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #10989 on: February 14, 2022, 11:50:02 pm »
That is not a problem ;)

The sisu is strong in those Mega-Farad caps, I see.

Offline exor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10990 on: February 15, 2022, 07:15:37 am »
^ I much prefer the AM503B. The AM503 has way too many contacts and stuff in the range selector. The AM503B makes the range selection 'digital' and I've found over the years that it is rock solid in performance. The B also has better degauss/auto zero capability and a few other enhancements. Anyhow, good luck.

cheers,
george.

Thanks for the tip. I'm happy if the probe is good, it is easy to find 503b at decent price if 503 fails.

Offline exor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10991 on: February 15, 2022, 07:17:08 am »
That is not a problem ;)

The sisu is strong in those Mega-Farad caps, I see.

Not my labels, but yes, I should re-label them.  ;)

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10992 on: February 15, 2022, 09:54:00 am »
Set of small screws from The Factory.
(1k of 1x3mm to 1.7x6mm)

The box is a bit smaller than in picture, about /4.

BTW,
4-3 OT
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10993 on: February 15, 2022, 12:20:15 pm »
(1k of 1x3mm to 1.7x6mm)

BTW,
4-3 OT

Then they must be tiny, because I can't even see the picture!

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline exor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10994 on: February 17, 2022, 08:46:16 am »
Something noisy.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, alexanderbrevig, shakalnokturn, duckduck

Offline syau

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10995 on: February 17, 2022, 03:02:06 pm »

You can also remove the blank plate at the back and put an IEC socket over there.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #10996 on: February 18, 2022, 06:06:07 am »
Books. Ironically these all arrived around the same time.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, PartialDischarge

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10997 on: February 18, 2022, 12:28:18 pm »
(1k of 1x3mm to 1.7x6mm)

BTW,
4-3 OT

Then they must be tiny, because I can't even see the picture!

McBryce.

Be noted that original size was mainly in customers head.

And of course US fuses for imperial environment.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline Wrenches of Death

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10998 on: February 18, 2022, 09:05:26 pm »
Thank you for posting this. I've got some on order.

Were you able to track down a datasheet on the VTX0225AR?

I searched for VTX0225AR and VTXO225AR without any luck. Nothing on Rakon's site and no reply from them either.

I can't help but wonder if the clipped output can't be bypassed. I'll scope the thing when I receive it. It could be as simple as crushing a couple of smd components.

Once again, thank you!

WoD

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10999 on: February 18, 2022, 09:13:11 pm »
I bought another 1TB SSD. A Crucial MX500 this time. I plan to use it to replace my E: drive (data storage) which is currently a WD Black HDD and is getting pretty old.

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX500-NAND-SATA-Internal/dp/B078211KBB

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf