Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2302226 times)

SingleBitError and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4700 on: February 25, 2023, 01:38:05 pm »
There are two a smaller 25W grow light I was trying, but the flexi arm it's on it is rubbish.

Thanks. For a moment I though it looked interesting enough to try, but I won't now :)

I invested in a short overhead LED striplight which I find far too bright, so is never used. And before that I got a large LED panel light for the rest of the office (currently three LED fluorescent replacements) and that was both too bright and casting reflections in my monitor. Not to mention a bit blue. So I use that one now as a doorbell replacement...

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #4701 on: February 26, 2023, 07:56:41 am »
all the lighting in the world wont beat a head lamp. i gave up trying to find perfect lighting, which IMO is 3x AAA battery. Until I get a zero-g lab that I can position equipment arbitrarily I am always leaning and craning looking at stuff dangling etc. Ideally I need a light on the tip of my tongue so I can position it properly.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 07:59:53 am by coppercone2 »

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4702 on: February 26, 2023, 10:25:04 am »
all the lighting in the world wont beat a head lamp. i gave up trying to find perfect lighting, which IMO is 3x AAA battery. Until I get a zero-g lab that I can position equipment arbitrarily I am always leaning and craning looking at stuff dangling etc. Ideally I need a light on the tip of my tongue so I can position it properly.

The downside of a bright overhead is of course "hard lighting".  If something is in shadow it's pitch black.

I have a little magnifying glass which pops up onto a stand.  It has a ring of 16 white LEDs and 2 power settings.  Runs off of a single AA cell, or, more useful has a 5V input with a USB plug on it.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline kang00r

« Reply #4703 on: March 01, 2023, 01:09:27 am »
Hello Everyone
Long time reader and first time poster.
I wanted to share a picture of my little lab i have slowly started collecting things and plan my little escape before i retire one day. I have studied electronics over 30 years ago but have not touched it since (yeah i know was forced to come to the dark side and chose different profession). As i get older i rediscovered that i love electronics and kind of regret that i did not follow that path :( Please let me know what you all think about my set up, mind you i am y happy yet and will tweak things on the desk or shelves, any suggestions welcome.

Cheers
K

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, xrunner, Warhawk, exor

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #4704 on: March 01, 2023, 01:59:18 am »
Good on you for getting back into it.
You have a nice collection of the usual suspects there...
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #4705 on: March 01, 2023, 04:28:27 am »
I like the screwdriver/plier rack.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: kang00r

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4706 on: March 01, 2023, 10:45:38 am »
I like your idea with the curtain.  I have some stuff in the garage and even though the garage is competely dry and about 5*C over ambient, everything that's been left out there is covered in stuff.  Either green stuff (mold, etc), orange stuff, rust, or white/green boogie snot copper corosion. I had an MCU die out there and when I went to investigate found a spiders egg sack inside it.  The whole case was stuffed with white web.

I know throwing a sheet/old curtain over things isn't going to prevent all of that, but I have found that things put under sheets so look a lot better for it!

Another aspect it makes good is sun bleaching.  Most of the wires on my DC solar system are pink and grey or just white as they have been sun bleached sitting in the garage window.  My headphones in my office, the ear pads are now disintegrated because they got left in the sun in the window.  Throwing an old current down the front of the equipment shelves when not in use should help that a lot!
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline kang00r

« Reply #4707 on: March 02, 2023, 12:22:10 pm »
Thanks for that ... my own design :) used leftovers from the Merbau deck :)

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline kang00r

« Reply #4708 on: March 02, 2023, 12:25:59 pm »
I like your idea with the curtain.  I have some stuff in the garage and even though the garage is competely dry and about 5*C over ambient, everything that's been left out there is covered in stuff.  Either green stuff (mold, etc), orange stuff, rust, or white/green boogie snot copper corosion. I had an MCU die out there and when I went to investigate found a spiders egg sack inside it.  The whole case was stuffed with white web.
I use the curtain more for the dust ... no issues with the moisture normally during summer .. in winter it gets warm a little from the cars :) Also cover what i have in my garage when the door is open .. dont want unexpected guests :P

« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 12:27:50 pm by kang00r »

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4709 on: March 09, 2023, 10:55:33 am »
Thought I'd post a pic of the "other side" of the lab, since it was just cleaned!

2x 21:9 34" 1440P monitors.
Ryzen 5800X, NVidia 3080.
Dell optiplex i7 4470.
Work HP Elite book and stuff.

The desk is an exe exec desk I got for £100 delivered.  It's max dimensions are 2000mmX1800mm with the narrower section still 1500mm.  You could literally put a single mattress on top of it and sleep there.  Or under it.  There is another full foot or more of desk off shot to the left.  Solid heavy wooden 1+" thick top and heavy steel full frame.  It weighs in at 80Kg for just the desk and I am incapable of lifting it while it's got stuff on it, even to nudge it a few inches.  It takes 2 people.

1734215-0
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 11:00:01 am by paulca »

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4710 on: March 09, 2023, 11:16:28 am »
I inquired the Admin team regarding this:

I'm currently the top moderator in a subreddit called MakerLabStations (https://www.reddit.com/r/MakerLabStations/) that is what this thread is but in the reddit website.

Currently is a small subreddit, with less than 2.5k users (since creation in September 2020), and no more than 20 or 30 posts. As solo moderator I can say that the requests for moderation are based in 5 or 6 in the total life of the subreddit, with one banned user because of continuous self promotion without further interaction other than promoting his own Youtube channel. So people there are well mannered and the conversation don't derail from the objective of it (plus the rules are kinda self explanatory regarding politics and off topic).

I would ask kindly if any user for some reason have a reddit account could post there their own LabStation, kinda like is done here and subscribe to it please. It would help to grow it and create a lot more diversity in the posts (and serve the subreddit to more people by being show in the side bar, kinda like Youtube serves your videos the more interaction you have with your own community and views). If not then is OK anyway, no hard feelings.

Thank you for the time taken to read this request.

This is a bump from my subreddit, first post was 2 years go by the date.

Just a reminder in case anyone uses reddit and doesn't mind publishing there.

Offline Edison

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4711 on: March 17, 2023, 11:56:37 am »
So my workplace (page 140) has grown a bit, I'll have to do Tetris again, I'm still missing three things - they're undergoing restoration.
Everything works as the weakest link in the chain

The following users thanked this post: edavid, exor

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4712 on: March 17, 2023, 03:08:05 pm »
It's amazing how much you've managed to stuff into such a small space.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Edison

Offline Spawn

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #4713 on: March 17, 2023, 05:45:36 pm »
After one and half month I almost managed to put everything electronics related on my electronics bench part.

Had to print some holders here and there, also made a mains power analyzer (under the oscilloscope left) got myself a nixie counter, I like to have everything in front of me.

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Online gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #4714 on: March 17, 2023, 05:58:16 pm »
What are those hundreds of bottles?  :o

Offline Spawn

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #4715 on: March 17, 2023, 06:13:22 pm »
Vallejo airbrush paints  ;)

The following users thanked this post: gamalot

Offline Edison

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4716 on: March 17, 2023, 07:16:16 pm »
Thanks, but it's not all there yet and you can't see everything 😂, something is stored in the cupboard above the work surface and it's up to the ceiling and three gauges are under reconstruction. And I'm not talking about such machines as a micro-lathe, a belt and plate grinder, a drill-milling machine with the possibility of turning

I think I've mastered Tetris at a pro level🤣
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 07:18:21 pm by Edison »

The following users thanked this post: shakalnokturn

Offline Edison

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4717 on: March 17, 2023, 07:23:39 pm »
Also a well-used space, the lathe is great 👍, but something this big wouldn't fit in my bedroom, my wife would probably get a little angry 🤬🤣- the workplace I have photos of here is in the corner of our bedroom 🤣

Offline Spawn

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #4718 on: March 17, 2023, 08:39:29 pm »
@Edison, that is a nice little self-made lathe  :-+
You did manage to put a lot in that corner  :)

I have some Proxxon's too, I like their stuff, had a Proxxon PD230 Lathe before but to be honest I couldn't use it that much since I wanted to mill and turn different metals, with this Emco lathe I can even turn and cut 303 stainless steel.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4719 on: March 17, 2023, 09:39:00 pm »
Also a well-used space, the lathe is great 👍, but something this big wouldn't fit in my bedroom, my wife would probably get a little angry 🤬🤣- the workplace I have photos of here is in the corner of our bedroom 🤣
Gee, I do not know of a wife which could tolerate that stuff in the bedroom, even in the corner  :scared:
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Edison

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4720 on: March 17, 2023, 10:51:28 pm »
I have more of those Proxons too, but I made the turning attachment myself and machined the A2 stainless steel screw heads on it with a 10x10 knife with replaceable slices. I still have the construction of a micro-lathe with a half-meter bed in progress, the belt sander is finished, the disc sander is waiting for the cover to be made, and I am making a new suction partition for the circular saw (around the disc lift), they were getting sawdust for the motor and aluminum sawdust in the 500W DC motor, you don't want it.
I like the Nixie counter, I'm waiting for my similar one from HP to arrive. My mains voltage monitor is built into that power strip above the desk.

Offline Edison

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4721 on: March 17, 2023, 11:03:24 pm »
You wouldn't understand at all if you knew that I have a piece of workshop moved from the garage next to my work table (due to renovation)

Online jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4722 on: March 18, 2023, 01:40:28 pm »
one of many benches, debugging old Tektronix 7000 plug-ins
Digital scope is Yokogawa DL1740,
Irons are my 1992 Metcal SmartHeat SP-200.

your thoughts appreciated

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

The following users thanked this post: Shock

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #4723 on: March 18, 2023, 05:47:55 pm »
Nice collection!
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4724 on: March 18, 2023, 07:36:45 pm »
your thoughts appreciated
You should start selling....
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf