Author Topic: Siglent SSA3000X and SSA3000X-Plus Spectrum Analyzers  (Read 638272 times)

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
Re: Siglent SSA3000X and SSA3000X-Plus Spectrum Analyzers
« Reply #2175 on: January 14, 2023, 06:30:40 pm »
Hi all
If I disassemble the spectrum analyzer and remove the NAND flash and make a full backup with a programmer, will it be enough if something goes wrong during the cross-flashing?

There is no need to do that, unless you manage to break uboot.
Now that there is a recovery image, the dreaded brick risk is no longer there.

Offline ganevson

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2176 on: January 15, 2023, 04:46:53 pm »
Hello My new Siglent SSA3021X Plus is behaving strangely. All input signals are displayed with -10dbm down. The test was performed with an R&S®SML02 signal generator. Then I connected an Oscilloscope to the output of the generator along with SSA to monitor the amplitude. When SSA is connected the amplitude drops significantly. I guess there is a weak link in the input. As can be seen from the reviews of colleagues, the group of input safety diodes is missing, which is unacceptable.

Offline cubitus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2177 on: January 15, 2023, 06:21:46 pm »
hello
A function generator set to 0dB 50MHz
Have you checked that in the amplitude correction menu is set to off?

RIGOL DM3068, DG4062, DP832A MSO4014
FLIR E4 SSA3021X Plus

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2178 on: January 15, 2023, 06:49:50 pm »
Hello My new Siglent SSA3021X Plus is behaving strangely. All input signals are displayed with -10dbm down. The test was performed with an R&S®SML02 signal generator. Then I connected an Oscilloscope to the output of the generator along with SSA to monitor the amplitude. When SSA is connected the amplitude drops significantly. I guess there is a weak link in the input. As can be seen from the reviews of colleagues, the group of input safety diodes is missing, which is unacceptable.
You may have damaged the RF input.
Do the check above member cubitus recommends as your first sanity check after the most basic sanity check, a factory Preset.

If checks indicate there really is a problem you can find some guidance here on a repair:
URL fixed.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/what-happens-when-you-blow-the-input-of-a-6500-siglent-ssa-3075x-plus!/
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 07:10:30 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.   Come visit us at EMEX Stand #1001 https://www.emex.co.nz/
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline ganevson

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2179 on: January 16, 2023, 01:27:17 pm »
The link you provided does not open. I did a factory reset. It does not help. I contacted the local Siglent Service. I'm waiting for a response for warranty service.

Offline RoV

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2180 on: January 16, 2023, 02:29:30 pm »
Ganevson, did you try different settings of the input attenuator? You may have burned one or more stages.

You define as "unacceptable" the absence of limiting diodes, but I don't agree, in fact they are rarely present in spectrum analyzers, because they introduce parasitic capacitance. They may also introduce distortion at high input levels. I think Siglent initially mounted them in the SSA3021X (not plus), but stopped fitting them subsequently. I don't remember having seen them in videos of the SVA.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2181 on: January 16, 2023, 07:08:55 pm »
The link you provided does not open. I did a factory reset. It does not help. I contacted the local Siglent Service. I'm waiting for a response for warranty service.
It does with corrections to the URL. Try again:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/what-happens-when-you-blow-the-input-of-a-6500-siglent-ssa-3075x-plus!/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.   Come visit us at EMEX Stand #1001 https://www.emex.co.nz/

Offline ganevson

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2182 on: January 16, 2023, 08:10:04 pm »
Hello Yes I checked. The attenuators work normally. But when I read the link from tautech that in Europe they don't repair at the component level but replace the whole board, I wonder if I should send it for warranty repair. I guess they will refuse or announce a high price for repairs. And I will have to cover the shipping costs to Germany and back. There is the warranty service. There is none in our country! Poor support for the EU. I think the input switch HMC1118 is faulty. I will order one and replace it. I know how to work with hot air. I have been repairing mobile phones for over 20 years. What will you advise me?
Another thing I want to add is that I have unlocked all the options with the Python calculator. This may be another reason to void the warranty.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 08:25:16 pm by ganevson »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2183 on: January 16, 2023, 08:21:27 pm »
Hello Yes I checked. The attenuators work normally. But when I read the link from tautech that in Europe they don't repair at the component level but replace the whole board, I wonder if I should send it for warranty repair. I guess they will refuse or announce a high price for repairs. And I will have to cover the shipping costs to Germany and back. There is the warranty service. There is none in our country! Poor support for the EU.
New performance an only be guaranteed with board level replacement hence the high cost.

I think the input switch HMC1118 is faulty. I will order one and replace it. I know how to work with hot air. I have been repairing mobile phones for over 20 years. What will you advise me?
DIY as many have succeeded and you sound well experienced in SMD repair.
Just be sure to leave the rework spotlessly clean.  ;)

The following users thanked this post: ganevson

Offline ganevson

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2184 on: January 16, 2023, 08:31:54 pm »
Thanks for the support. I will order a chip from Aliexpress. In my country I did not find. I have no intention of writing to Siglent to have them sent to me. I probably won't answer. Hot air is like a mother tongue to me. I have dozens of refurbished video cards and thousands of phones in my life. I could make a video but there is already one on YouTube. My SA is SSA3021XP

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2185 on: January 16, 2023, 08:39:06 pm »
Thanks for the support. I will order a chip from Aliexpress. In my country I did not find. I have no intention of writing to Siglent to have them sent to me. I probably won't answer. Hot air is like a mother tongue to me. I have dozens of refurbished video cards and thousands of phones in my life. I could make a video but there is already one on YouTube. My SA is SSA3021XP
:-+

There are other threads here on RF input damage/repair including one from the Asian chap that did the video near the end of the thread linked above. If I get some time I'll try to find it again and link it here.

Offline RoV

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2186 on: January 16, 2023, 10:31:30 pm »
Thanks for the support. I will order a chip from Aliexpress. In my country I did not find.

I wouldn't repair it with a dubious chip from Aliexpress. HMC1118 is available from Mouser
https://www.mouser.it/c/semiconductors/wireless-rf-integrated-circuits/rf-switch-ics/?q=hmc1118.

Another check that you can make is S11 in VNA mode. If it works as before using an old calibration (one taken before the damage), then the receiver chain is ok, apart from the 1st switch that chooses between ports.

Offline ganevson

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2187 on: January 16, 2023, 10:35:19 pm »
Please if anyone here has a SSA3021XP model check this out. I just discovered another problem. It is connected to the tracking generator. When transitioning around a frequency of 18.3mhz and I am at 0dbm, something strange happens. There is some amplitude front.
When the level is at -3dbm this front disappears but a small downward needle appears.
Also on the sweep from 0-500mhz I notice some stepwise change in amplitude with sharp fronts. I am attaching screenshots.

Offline ganevson

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2188 on: January 16, 2023, 10:39:48 pm »
584-HMC1118LP3DETR or
584-HMC1118LP3DE

Available in 2 variants. Who should I choose?
I did a factory reset and I don't have an old S11 calibration.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 10:45:03 pm by ganevson »

Offline RoV

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2189 on: January 16, 2023, 11:03:33 pm »
584-HMC1118LP3DETR or
584-HMC1118LP3DE

It seems just a difference in packaging (cut tape, reel, etc.), I can't see an explanation in the datasheet.

I confirm the jumpy level of TG (see figure), specially at high output levels. It seems they are leveling the output of the internal generator with a step attenuator having relatively large steps. I don't know if leveling is in real time (with detector and feedback) or using a factory calibration table.

Offline ganevson

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2190 on: January 16, 2023, 11:09:19 pm »
584-HMC1118LP3DETR or
584-HMC1118LP3DE

It seems just a difference in packaging (cut tape, reel, etc.), I can't see an explanation in the datasheet.

I confirm the jumpy level of TG (see figure), specially at high output levels. It seems they are leveling the output of the internal generator with a step attenuator having relatively large steps. I don't know if leveling is in real time (with detector and feedback) or using a factory calibration table.
Thank you so much. It seems almost like my case. But with you, I don't notice the amplitude front at 18.3mhz at 0dbm level

Offline ganevson

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2191 on: January 17, 2023, 02:07:08 pm »
Hello again
Does anyone know if the warranty service will deny warranty if I have enabled all options with the python calculator?
They agree to repair, but I don't know how they will react to this if they do an inspection.

Offline RoV

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2192 on: January 17, 2023, 04:12:03 pm »
Hello again
Does anyone know if the warranty service will deny warranty if I have enabled all options with the python calculator?
They agree to repair, but I don't know how they will react to this if they do an inspection.

Since the digital part works, it shouldn't be too difficult to restore the original software configuration.

Offline ganevson

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2193 on: January 17, 2023, 04:23:25 pm »
Hello again

Since the digital part works, it shouldn't be too difficult to restore the original software configuration.
I didn't see a procedure for the reverse path anywhere. I don't have a backup.
Any ideas?

Offline RoV

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2194 on: January 17, 2023, 04:41:04 pm »
Any ideas?

Never tried myself, but according to me you should restore the instrument ID for the SSA and immediately install the original software (ID and version must match). Then you can clear the licenses in the usual files and reinstall the original ones using the Python script. Traces will surely remain if you miss a backup, but the technicians may not be interested in checking them.
Since I haven't ever tried this, I may have skipped some critical information. Help from the gurus will certainly arrive soon  :-+ .

In any case, if you damaged the front end, the repair may not be covered by warranty.

Offline DeDe

• Contributor
« Reply #2195 on: January 17, 2023, 08:02:21 pm »
As for the 1.5dB jump of the TG at 18.3MHz and 0dBm - I can confirm that.
I have compared in the second screenshot: Range 0-100MHz once with TG set to 0dBm (yellow trace) and once -3dBm (purple).

Offline ganevson

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2196 on: January 17, 2023, 08:31:45 pm »
Any ideas?

Never tried myself, but according to me you should restore the instrument ID for the SSA and immediately install the original software (ID and version must match). Then you can clear the licenses in the usual files and reinstall the original ones using the Python script. Traces will surely remain if you miss a backup, but the technicians may not be interested in checking them.
Since I haven't ever tried this, I may have skipped some critical information. Help from the gurus will certainly arrive soon  :-+ .

In any case, if you damaged the front end, the repair may not be covered by warranty.

My SA is original. Not upgraded to SVA but with python I unlocked all options.When I bought it, it only had the TG permanent option. Now everything is permanent and I don't know how they will react to this in the warranty service.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 08:38:29 pm by ganevson »

Offline ganevson

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2197 on: January 17, 2023, 08:50:14 pm »
As for the 1.5dB jump of the TG at 18.3MHz and 0dBm - I can confirm that.
I have compared in the second screenshot: Range 0-100MHz once with TG set to 0dBm (yellow trace) and once -3dBm (purple).
This comparison you made will be of help here. I have no worries about TG anymore

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #2198 on: January 17, 2023, 08:53:22 pm »
They probably won't care. They don't know who provided the keys and how they were generated.
But you could edit the license file and remove the extra option that the key added. I don't remember which file it is but it is in the Siglent folder or its subfolders.

Offline ganevson

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2199 on: January 18, 2023, 02:52:38 am »
They probably won't care. They don't know who provided the keys and how they were generated.
But you could edit the license file and remove the extra option that the key added. I don't remember which file it is but it is in the Siglent folder or its subfolders.
I think that the Siglent website has statistics on the purchase of keys by serial number of the device, and a possible check would confirm this. About the files, this is a job for programmers. Unfortunately, that's where I'm weak.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf