Author Topic: NanoVNA Custom Software  (Read 470491 times)

Online joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: NanoVNA Custom Software
« Reply #1175 on: July 04, 2021, 01:38:13 am »
Most of the day was spent porting the HP3589A software to use the common code and updating it to include the 2.0 features.  Needs a bit more work but usable.   

Offline bobinuta

« Reply #1176 on: July 04, 2021, 08:53:40 pm »
Dear Mr. Smith,

Please allow me to congratulate you for your impressive work and for the amability to share it to the public!

What's my story, on the short, and why I am writing to you ?
I purchased a nanoVNA_V2 Plus4 in the hope that it would help my old father to measure crystals and to learn to build& tune his own SSB filters.
I already have a VNWA3-E that I used for such tasks, but my father asked me to find a cheaper solution (if possible), as his own "toy" for personal experiments and learning.

So, I ordered a NanoVNA V2 Plus4 on 04/04.2021 and after 73 days, I managed to pick it up (on 17Jun2021).
Before buying the device, I read the disclaimer on the site, the one that OwO quoted there: " the V2 is not suited to very narrowband measurements (coherent bandwidth <1kHz) because of the fast switching of the transmit and receive paths. In practice this only becomes a problem when measuring crystals (does not affect SAW or any other filters) " .

Hmmm... "any other filters"...
Well, now I am *very* dissapointed, because the V2_Plus4 fails to read a classic 10.7 MHz SSB DIY ladder filter (look at my first attached screenshot, where I compared the same filter sweeped with the VNWA3 and with the NanoVNA V2Plus4):

I've been also disappointed to find out that neither VNA-QT or NanoVNA-Saver cannot offer some very useful functions as zooming into the bandwidth of the filter or moving the markers directly with the mouse. So, the only way to "zoom" is to see first a larger characteristic, then establish the new needed limits, make a new sweep setting and finally, a new calibration.
That's horrible, eating a lot of time and nerves.

Finally, I borrowed a NanoVNA V1 (2.8" LCD) from a friend, to see if I may normally sweep an SSB filter with it.

Yesterday, I discovered your excellent software for NanoVNA while I was seeking for alternatives to NanoVNA-saver and VNA-QT.
Until then, I read about 80% of the manual, I installed your software (1.0 and then the latest released binaries) and I started to play with both versions of it, for NanoVNA V1 and also for NanoVNA V2Plus4.

Not long after, I found out that you were right when you mentioned that NanoVNA V1 crashes for longer operating times.
This is a big and frustrating problem. Yes, I know that this is it (firmware/hardware), but I mentioned just for "the record"  :)
V2 Plus4 is performing well, but cannot sweep narrowband devices, that is clear.

However, I encountered a problem while using your very nice software:  after SOLT calibration, the sweep is not working.
The problem occurs with both NanoVNA V1 and V2 Plus4, and I tend to think it's more of an operating error (by my fault). Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

Steps:
1) Power on NanoVNA
2) Launching your software
3) Go to "Setup/Diagnostics" -> Select NanoPort (ComX) -> Click on "Link" button (and wait to became green);
4) Check the status form to see link confirmation

5) Check the device LCD and see "USB PC" message
6) Return to "Main" menu of your software and establish the Start & Stop freqs, then the number of sweep points;
7) Start the filter sweep for test, without calibration; check S21 using <Xmsn rectangular>, check S11 using <Reflection Coeff> and check the <Impd Smith> graphs. The sweep is working (except the bad waveform due to the V2 Plus4 narrowband problems):

8 ) Deactivate sweeping, check the <ChnRef> button to be inactive and then starting the SOLT calibration using <2PortCal> button, as you described in the manual, at page 49 /chapter 12.8: SOLT Calibration. Start = 10.69 MHz, Stop = 10.704 MHz, 201 points.
9) Saving the calibration in a distinct, separate file.
10) Starting to sweep -> and see that nothing is happening:

Well, sorry for such a large text, but I don't know what to do, how to debug from this point !
Please give me some help, if possible.

In the hope of your answer, please allow me to wish you all the best and to encourage you to keep the good work on !

Best regards,
Bob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1177 on: July 04, 2021, 09:00:32 pm »
 |O |O |O |O |O   :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:   :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

There was a pretty major bug in both versions of the software that would cause problems when using third party Touchstone viewers.  For details, please read the attached link.  This problem has been there since I made that video demonstrating how to use the NanoVNA to model a component used in a SPICE simulation. 

Both programs have been corrected and are now available. 

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/s-parameter-plotting-software/msg3600608/#msg3600608

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1178 on: July 04, 2021, 09:40:49 pm »
Bob,

The best work around I have found for the V2Plus4's short comings are to buy the original NanoVNA.  If your dad works below 300MHz (which it sound like he does) that is really the better choice.  Of course, if he is mostly working above 300MHz, that V2Plus4 is really a nice unit. 

I paid under $200 w/ shipping for the two V2Plus VNAs.  Not a bad deal at all considering what they can do.   Go back a few pages and you will find a discussion with the designer about the narrow band.  When I bought mine, I don't think that was on their ad.   

Looks like you are using old software.  0.1 is the initial release and 1.04 is also now fairly old.   

However, I encountered a problem while using your very nice software:  after SOLT calibration, the sweep is not working.
The problem occurs with both NanoVNA V1 and V2 Plus4, and I tend to think it's more of an operating error (by my fault). Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

Steps:
1) Power on NanoVNA
2) Launching your software
3) Go to "Setup/Diagnostics" -> Select NanoPort (ComX) -> Click on "Link" button (and wait to became green);
4) Check the status form to see link confirmation

You could save that setup.  Keep in mind though that the new software uses a different defaults file.   

5) Check the device LCD and see "USB PC" message
6) Return to "Main" menu of your software and establish the Start & Stop freqs, then the number of sweep points;
7) Start the filter sweep for test, without calibration; check S21 using <Xmsn rectangular>, check S11 using <Reflection Coeff> and check the <Impd Smith> graphs. The sweep is working (except the bad waveform due to the V2 Plus4 narrowband problems):

So far, sounds normal.

8 ) Deactivate sweeping, check the <ChnRef> button to be inactive and then starting the SOLT calibration using <2PortCal> button, as you described in the manual, at page 49 /chapter 12.8: SOLT Calibration. Start = 10.69 MHz, Stop = 10.704 MHz, 201 points.

Well, (10.704000 - 10.690000) /  201 points is 69.65 Hz per point.   

Keep in mind that this is an engineering tool and not written for the beginner.  You are free set the parameters to anything you like as I assume people know what it is they want to do.   

Well, sorry for such a large text, but I don't know what to do, how to debug from this point !
Please give me some help, if possible.

Load the current software and use some reasonable settings.  Then let me know if you still have problems.  Just as a sanity test, shown with a 12MHz 10-pole crystal filter inserted using interpolation. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1179 on: July 04, 2021, 09:57:47 pm »
5 months ago, I made this review of the V2Plus4.  At 9:15 or so in, I talk about the narrow band problems. 

At 45 mins in I show this 12MHz 10-pole filter but more interesting I show a 1GHz interdigital filter being ran on the original NanoVNA, the V2Plus4 and well as my vintage Agilent PNA.   I'm pretty happy with the results I have been able to achieve with all of these low cost VNAs when/if I can find working firmware.   

« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 10:05:16 pm by joeqsmith »

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #1180 on: July 05, 2021, 04:04:59 am »
I will admit fault for bringing price/performance expectations of 3GHz VNAs to unrealistic and unsustainable levels. Now of course when you have to achieve >90dB dynamic range and work up to many GHz in a under $200 budget, some compromises have to be made, so the architecture of all V2 devices are not suitable for measuring crystals. A quick google for ssb ladder filter shows it's a filter built out of crystals, so it's clear that it can not be measured with a V2. It has been in the documentation and product descriptions since the first time the issue was reported.

VNWA 3E is a good choice if you need to measure crystals and you need something reliable.
Email: OwOwOwOwO123@outlook.com

Offline TheDane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1181 on: July 05, 2021, 10:24:55 am »
Thanks Joe!

Read more, post less 👍

I just wanted to report that the new upload seems to be working with the V2_2,  - https://github.com/joeqsmith/NanoVNA_Software/blob/NanoVNA_V2Plus/NanoVNA_V2Plus_2p03.zip

You are amazing!

Edit - Yes, I have installed the version 0.1 installer program first: https://github.com/joeqsmith/NanoVNA_Software/releases/tag/0.10
- sorry, didn't mean to confuse anybody. Github can imho be a hard place to find the 'correct' versions, especially when it branches out
Yes, Joe has an Excellent resource/starting page: https://github.com/joeqsmith/NanoVNA_Software 👍
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 09:27:38 am by TheDane »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1182 on: July 05, 2021, 02:48:01 pm »
Thanks Joe!

Read more, post less 👍

I just wanted to report that the new upload seems to be working with the V2_2,  - https://github.com/joeqsmith/NanoVNA_Software/blob/NanoVNA_V2Plus/NanoVNA_V2Plus_2p03.zip

You are amazing!

I suspect more than one person has been led astray by using direct links like you have done.   Story goes something like this:   
My buddy put a link to this guys software on their twitbook page and I downloaded it.  I tried to run the EXE but it says I need some runtime engine.  I went to NIs site and downloaded the latest runtime and it still does not work.  Eventually I figured out that the software requires a specific runtime.  I downloaded that and now have the software running but it won't communicate with my device.    

This ends with me getting an email how 1) LabView sucks  2) my software doesn't work   :-DD

If the buddy posted a link to the installer and the story changes to: 
It has all these files that I don't know what to do with  (asks his buddy for help and installs 7-Zip).   

They get the software installed and are proud of themselves for a job well done.  They post a few screen shots to their own twitbook account to show off their accomplishments.   Then they try to talk with their old NanoVNA with it and realize it does not work and I get another email asking for help.   

After so many amateur radio hobbyists wrote me who claimed they did not need support, I'm surprised of the number of simple PC questions from this group that could be avoided if they only took the time to read.   Guessing that reading, memorizing rules and learning some simple code is no longer a requirement for getting a license.     

If you want to post links to the software, please use the main page.   Someone may actually read the first few sentences of the README file and avoid some of the common problems.   

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to get your setup working with the latest software.

The following users thanked this post: TheDane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1183 on: July 05, 2021, 03:12:18 pm »
I will admit fault for bringing price/performance expectations of 3GHz VNAs to unrealistic and unsustainable levels. Now of course when you have to achieve >90dB dynamic range and work up to many GHz in a under $200 budget, some compromises have to be made, so the architecture of all V2 devices are not suitable for measuring crystals. A quick google for ssb ladder filter shows it's a filter built out of crystals, so it's clear that it can not be measured with a V2. It has been in the documentation and product descriptions since the first time the issue was reported.

VNWA 3E is a good choice if you need to measure crystals and you need something reliable.

Looks like they want $460 for that VNWA 3E.   Really, to measure crystals my software coupled to the $50 original NanoVNA gets the job done.  You can make a database of your parts, you can even have the software sort the parts for your specific design. 

In your case, the V2Plus4 does a really nice job for experimenting at higher frequencies.  Its some very impressive hardware.   Combined with the original NanoVNA, it would seem to cover most of the RF hobbyists needs. 

Your latest VNA is what I am interested in.   If you manage to pull off the low freq and keep the noise down and dynamic range up, really, what else is out there?    $6600 won't touch the lower frequency.   

https://www.picotech.com/vector-network-analyzer/picovna/picovna-series

You could go with Copper Mountain for over $10k.   Even on the used market, I couldn't find anything decent that covered that range.  This is why I have two different VNAs.   It seems you are really setting a high goal for yourself.   It may not be as popular due to the higher costs but you may find it being used in all new applications.   

20:36 in, testing some crystals with the original NanoVNA and my software. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1184 on: July 05, 2021, 03:34:02 pm »
Pushing the 2-port 120dB 10kHz - 6GHz is there much else beyond the CopperMountain?   If it were not for that $14,000 price tag, I would own one of these for my hobby use.  Think they would sell me one for $500?    :-DD   I want to see that V3 or yours.   

https://coppermountaintech.com/vna/s5065-2-port-6-5-ghz-analyzer/

Offline rf-messkopf

• Regular Contributor
  • Mario H.
    • Homepage
« Reply #1185 on: July 05, 2021, 04:07:49 pm »
Pushing the 2-port 120dB 10kHz - 6GHz is there much else beyond the CopperMountain?

The new Rohde & Schwarz ZNB range of analyzers has 4.5 GHz and 8.5 GHz models that start at 9 kHz. Current used prices range from about 20,000 Euros for a 4.5 GHz two port model. We'll have to wait a couple of years, I think.  :) I have a predecessor model that was discontinued a year ago or so. It is specified down to 300 kHz, but actually starts at 150 kHz.

The problem is to design a reflectometer that goes down to kHz frequencies and is very broadband at the same time (i.e., up into the GHz range). When using a resistive bridge you have to detect the voltage across the bridge, i.e., convert from balanced to unbalanced. Up in the GHz range you will have to use a ferrite balun which puts a lower limit on the frequency range. But if you restrict yourself to a couple of hundred MHz, say, a balanced mixer with Gilbert cell alone will do. I think the original nanoVNA follows that approach. When there are no extreme budget constraints, one could aim at improving that approach (lower noise mixer and IF amplifier, low phase noise synthesizer, better ADC, better shielding and decoupling, etc). Should be doable, but certainly is a lot of work.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1186 on: July 05, 2021, 05:25:36 pm »
OWO had tossed out 400-$500 and mentioned dropping the display to help save costs.   For some reason, I have a feeling that people interested in such a device are aware of the costs.  Flipper and I may be the only two customers.    :-DD     They had a sign up, I assume to get some idea on the level of interest.   

https://nanorfe.com/nanovna-v3.html

I wondered if there was some sort of override for that old PNA I have that would allow it to run lower but with reduced performance.  I asked in the groups but no response. 

On a side note,  METAS approved my request to use their software.  I have downloaded it along with the documentation and will start going over it.  I provided them the link to the forum for details about my findings and have offered to help. 

Offline bobinuta

« Reply #1187 on: July 05, 2021, 11:18:06 pm »
Good evening Mr. Smith !
The best work around I have found for the V2Plus4's short comings are to buy the original NanoVNA.  If your dad works below 300MHz (which it sound like he does) that is really the better choice. 
Well, I also tested the original NanoVNA too. If you will be so kind to help me to  solve the problem that I've encountered while trying to use your nice software, probably I will buy it for my dad and help him to use your software for sorting xtals and tuning an SSB filter  :)

Looks like you are using old software.  0.1 is the initial release and 1.04 is also now fairly old.
In the screenshot that I posted, yes, was the 1.04. But I tried also with all the other versions, including the last one (2.03), right in this evening.
The problem that I encountered still remain the same  :(

At this point, please let me try to explain the problem again.
- the first step is to be sure that the link with the NanoVNA V2 Plus4 is active;
- then, I return to the Main screen and I set some limits for the sweep. For example, 10.690M-10.704M with 201 points, or as you suggested to me, 11.99475M with a 50KHz span;
- after that, *without calibration*, when I start sweeping, all is working, the sweep is working, the graphs appears (Smith, S11, S21, etc.);
- if I stop the sweep and make calibration with the values that I worked, well... after that, when I'm trying to start again the sweep, it doesn't work, nothing is happening, nothing is moving, nothing is drawed on the graphs. Everything looks as stoned  |O

I would like to mention that I tried also on a separate, fresh installed laptop, with the same results.
I used only Windows 10 Pro (an old version on my desktop, and an updated one on my laptop).
I tried also with different firmware on the NanoVNA V2 Plus4 (the stock one - 20201013 stable, and with the 20210621 experimental).

Well, (10.704000 - 10.690000) /  201 points is 69.65 Hz per point.   
Keep in mind that this is an engineering tool and not written for the beginner. 
You are free set the parameters to anything you like as I assume people know what it is they want to do.
Well, I understand your advice and warning.
Probably, in the case of your software, the same GIGO principle as with LTSpice is working: Garbage In -> Garbage Out.
You are 100% right, but something is missing for me. That's why I'm asking you for help !

Well, you said that a span of 14KHz with 69.65 Hz per point is a wrong setup? If so, why? Please enlight me ...
I tried to use NanoVNA-Saver, with the same settings, and with 69.65Hz/step is working:

Load the current software and use some reasonable settings.  Then let me know if you still have problems.  Just as a sanity test, shown with a 12MHz 10-pole crystal filter inserted using interpolation.
Well, could you explain to me what do you mean by "reasonable settings" ? Here I think I have a problem, please help me understand.  :palm:
I tried your setup, 11.99475M with a 50KHz span and 201 pts. Is working as long as I don't try to calibrate with these settings.
After SOLT calibration, the sweep is not working / not starting.

And as I already mentioned, the problem occurs with both NanoVNA V1 and V2 Plus4; the same problem on desktop PC and on the laptop.
That's why I tend to think that's more of an operating error (by my fault).
Maybe I'm doing something wrong... but I can't understand where I'm wrong !

So please, try to help me to pass this step :)
Believe me, I 100% read the manual and followed the steps described there.

Thanks a lot and have a nice day,
Bob
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 11:24:16 pm by bobinuta »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1188 on: July 06, 2021, 01:23:52 am »
In the screenshot that I posted, yes, was the 1.04.
Actually, look at your post again.  first was 0.10 then 1.04.   Again, just to be clear, I have told you that the V2Plus4 will not make these measurements.  Odd as I have had a few other people writing me with similar stories.   I think they feel the software some how magically overcomes the hardware limitations.  The feature is there, it must work.   :-DD   What really funny is no amount of documentation, videos, or posts from the designer gets through.  The NanoVNA is now a religion.     

Ok, back to engineering 101. 

At this point, please let me try to explain the problem again.
- the first step is to be sure that the link with the NanoVNA V2 Plus4 is active;
- then, I return to the Main screen and I set some limits for the sweep. For example, 10.690M-10.704M with 201 points, or as you suggested to me, 11.99475M with a 50KHz span;
- after that, *without calibration*, when I start sweeping, all is working, the sweep is working, the graphs appears (Smith, S11, S21, etc.);

I did not suggest that at all.  Instead I wrote:
Load the current software and use some reasonable settings.  Then let me know if you still have problems. 
50,000 / 201 = 248Hz per point.  Seems you didn't understand OWOs response.   But no matter.  I will continue to allow you to bang your head into the wall.   :-DD   The rest makes sense. 

- if I stop the sweep and make calibration with the values that I worked, well... after that, when I'm trying to start again the sweep, it doesn't work, nothing is happening, nothing is moving, nothing is drawed on the graphs. Everything looks as stoned  |O

I would like to mention that I tried also on a separate, fresh installed laptop, with the same results.
I used only Windows 10 Pro (an old version on my desktop, and an updated one on my laptop).
I tried also with different firmware on the NanoVNA V2 Plus4 (the stock one - 20201013 stable, and with the 20210621 experimental).

I am not sure why you would think the PC would have anything to do with it but ok.    Firmware could certainly cause problems but I don't thing that's causing what you are seeing.

Well, I understand your advice and warning.
Probably, in the case of your software, the same GIGO principle as with LTSpice is working: Garbage In -> Garbage Out.
You are 100% right, but something is missing for me. That's why I'm asking you for help !

Yes, GIGO or SISO. 

Well, you said that a span of 14KHz with 69.65 Hz per point is a wrong setup? If so, why? Please enlight me ...
OWO already covered that with you.   

I tried to use NanoVNA-Saver, with the same settings, and with 69.65Hz/step is working:
I am not at all surprised that different software would have different behaviors. 

Well, could you explain to me what do you mean by "reasonable settings" ? Here I think I have a problem, please help me understand.  :palm:
I tried your setup, 11.99475M with a 50KHz span and 201 pts. Is working as long as I don't try to calibrate with these settings.
After SOLT calibration, the sweep is not working / not starting.

And as I already mentioned, the
problem occurs with both NanoVNA V1 and V2 Plus4
; the same problem on desktop PC and on the laptop.
That's why I tend to think that's more of an operating error (by my fault).
Maybe I'm doing something wrong... but I can't understand where I'm wrong !

So please, try to help me to pass this step :)
Believe me, I 100% read the manual and followed the steps described there.

Thanks a lot and have a nice day,
Bob

Odd, as I would expect the original design would have no problem.  I would also suggest that you stop wasting time with the V2Plus4.  I suspect you left out one or two very important details.  I suspect is may have to do with your gold standard software and how it works.   

Attached is a screen shot of my latest software for the original NanoVNA using your settings.  Note that I have ran a full SOLT on it using these same settings.   Shown with the home made 50dB attenuator attached.  There's no magic... It just works as I would expect. 

So, there are two possible answers.  When it appears stoned as you put it, what is the CPU usage?   You have ran so many combos and done your absolute best to muddy the waters so I am not sure if you ran the 1.x software with the original NanoVNA or not.   Again, learn to divide your problems down.  In this case, don't play with every PC, Nano and firmware known.   It's not helpful.   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1189 on: July 06, 2021, 12:45:08 pm »
I setup the V2Plus4 and followed the same procedure, using your settings.  Again, full SOLT using your settings.   Shown with the same homemade 50dB attenuator inserted.   My setup appears as expected. 

Obviously you are attempting to measure crystals which again is not going to work but the attenuator should be fine.   

You could try the exact same firmware but the fact you have the same problem with the other software and the original NanoVNA tells me you are leaving out some important detail.

grammar was poor, real poor...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 01:13:57 am by joeqsmith »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1190 on: July 07, 2021, 12:42:40 am »
Using the latest software for the original NanoVNA to look at a 10MHz crystal with a 500Hz span.  Full SOLT cal.   

This version is for all of the people outside of the USA who are having trouble with their regional settings.   While I thought the manual was fairly descriptive, it's apparent that reading is no longer a basic life skill.   I plan to dumb down the software for this group  (mostly amateur radio hobbyists BTW).   For what ever reason, this group feels the need to fill my personal email inbox.  The same group that so many told me they could run it without support.  :-DD     

Shown with German regional settings and no INI file.  Some of you have figured out this doesn't pertain to the V2Plus4.   

I would like to sort out bobinuta's problem before I release it in case there actually is a problem with the software.   While we have software that can capture the screen to a video and Youtube allowing the world to view it,  it seems a crystal ball is still required in some cases.  Mine is still out for service waiting on parts that the automotive companies are hording.   So be patient. 

Just a side note.  I have attached the data collected for this same crystal properly measured with the same NanoVNA and cables.   While, as I stated, the VNA was fully calibrated, I am just inserting the crystal between port 1 & 2.   When I started working on the software to make these measurements, I would commonly find people posting how they were measuring the parts this way.  What a difference in the readings....   I wonder which is right. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 01:12:07 am by joeqsmith »

The following users thanked this post: croma641

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1191 on: July 07, 2021, 02:05:13 am »

Notice in 8) they turn off the sweep.   They then check the ChnRef (assume Chn-Ref) button to be inactive.  The manual states:  "Select CHn-Ref to disable the normalization.".  This note is there because I assume the reader is not jumping into the middle of the document and following it.  In the previous sections, the VNA was using normalization.

Of course they show 10.704 and the screen shot shows 10.702.  I doubt this has anything to do with it but I assumed it was a typo and used 702.   They set the points to 201.  Again, the port and points should have been stored in the defaults but oh well.  Shouldn't be a problem if you like entering these settings every time.

They then run through the cal.  Notice the never enable the sweeps so the VNA is collecting a whole lot of nothing (which is why the numbers are so out of joint).   They finish up the cal and save it.   Then decide to enable the sweeps.  Odd they felt the need to turn them off.  I just let the thing run all the time. 

Next they state nothing is happening.  Now, I doubt that's the case.  I suspect the software is collecting the data but because they fucked up the calibration by turning off the sweeps, the data shown is worthless.   Of course, the software allows you to view the raw data but I guess they didn't find that feature.

Now did the manual at any point in the section they refer to talk about turning off the sweeps.  Nope.   I wonder if other software requires you to turn them off and this is why they thought it was the right thing to do.   What's odd is I can't see how anyone would think that with the sweeps turned off so the PC is collecting nothing that it would somehow magically have data for the calibration.   

Like the regional settings, I may have to just dumb the whole software down for the radio group.   No amateur left behind.  Time to go check my antennas SWR.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1192 on: July 08, 2021, 06:54:01 am »
No word from Bob on if they actually did turn off the sweeps when running the cal and if allowing it to collect the data solved their problem.    Thinking about dumbing down the software, I bounced it off my friend Flipper.  I think the problem we both see with doing this is that we don't want the software to be limited or trying to second guess what we are using it for.  It made sense to automate the regional settings as it's not related to collecting data.  Flipper tossed out we could make a Fisher Price looking My First VNA program that is nothing more than an SWR meter.   

The other people that I have been in contact with about software problems are now resolved.  The only real bug was with someone using an earlier version of 2.x with the poorly written peak find algorithm.   Running the latest release solved it.   

Rather than continue to wait on Bob,  I will assume they sorted out their problem.   2.05 has now been released and is available for download.   The only change is the auto detection of the regional settings and the handling of the decimal.  If you are using the comma rather than the period,  after you install this software you should be able to remove the INI file and it should continue to work. 

The attached is from a paper put out by a Mike Watts WY6K  Titled: 
NanoVNA Tips for New and Prospective Users
   I had watched one of IMSAI's early videos showing a transfer relay hooked to their NanoVNA but with no software to calibrate it.    Seems like a nice enough guy.  I suspect that Mike's hearing and vision have been damaged from all that RF.  We sound nothing alike, different test equipment and different presentation styles.  When I show a transfer relay connected to the NanoVNA,  I show my  software running a full 2-port cal and T-check to validate it.   Let me assure you we are not the same person with two accounts.  We wish Mikes overall health improves.

poor wording
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 11:20:00 am by joeqsmith »

Offline bobinuta

« Reply #1193 on: July 08, 2021, 09:16:45 pm »
Good evening Mr. Smith!
Again, just to be clear, I have told you that the V2Plus4 will not make these measurements.  [...]
About the fact that NanoVNA V2 (and especially V2 Plus4) cannot sweep for narrowband devices, this chapter is clear .
I'm not expecting to anything magic.  :)
So, until yesterday, I used V2 Plus4 with your software, only for two reasons:
- in contrast to the NanoVNA V1, the V2 Plus4's screen provides an indication of the USB link with the PC; that way, at least, I know there's an established connection.
- V2 Plus4 is more stable in long term operation and does not crash suddenly, as V1 does.
Yesterday I sold the V2Plus4 and I was left only with V1.

To be better understood at this point, I would like to mention again that my problem *was not* the fact that V2 Plus4 cannot be used for crystal sweep (that was only a disappointing finding), but the fact that *in my particular situation*, the sweep in your software (NanoVNA V2 Plus4) won't start *after* calibration is completed ! And this issue is the only one for which I asked for your support - because nobody could know better an applicaton as its author...

Seems you didn't understand OWOs response.   
Well, that's because in the OwO's reply, I don't see anything connected with my initial question that I asked you.
That one about why the sweep don't start after full calibration of the NanoVNA V2 Plus4 when using your software.
Just for the record, I quote below the Owo's reply:

I will admit fault for bringing price/performance expectations of 3GHz VNAs to unrealistic and unsustainable levels. Now of course when you have to achieve >90dB dynamic range and work up to many GHz in a under $200 budget, some compromises have to be made, so the architecture of all V2 devices are not suitable for measuring crystals. A quick google for ssb ladder filter shows it's a filter built out of crystals, so it's clear that it can not be measured with a V2. It has been in the documentation and product descriptions since the first time the issue was reported. [...]
As anybody can see, OwO's reply has nothing to do with what I asked you.

But no matter.  I will continue to allow you to bang your head into the wall.
Well, please allow me to congratulate you for such a very professional, collegial and amiable answer !

I am not sure why you would think the PC would have anything to do with it
Well, here are some reasons:
- I'm not a software engineer who builds OS, drivers and applications, so I don't have where from to know how all together could interact with the (nano)VNA hardware/firmware *and* with your software. For example, I read in your GitHub notices that "This software has been tested on Windows 10 only. It uses the 32-bit version of LabView 2011, SP1 [...]".
Well, I am using W10Pro/64bits. I have no ideea if this could be a problem or not. Probably not, but as a software author, you are the one who knows better, so I would have expected the answers from you, not from anyone else.
- Generally, I use to read the installation instructions, both for my own understanding and as a term of respect for their authors. Also, I understand the term RTFM ;-) That is exactly what I did also with the manual of your software - as you recommended.
After I saw that the software is linked with the NanoVNA *and* the sweep works without calibration, well...  I though that the problem could be in someother place, like OS version, drivers, chipset, platform, etc.

Quote from: bobinuta
OWO already covered that with you.   
If you're referring to the same OwO answer (which I've already quoted above) well, then I don't see where the issue is. I don't see any explanations in his answer about how to "use some reasonable settings" in your software... or about why the sweep don't start after full SOLT calibration. Am I wrong ?

I would also suggest that you stop wasting time with the V2Plus4.
And as you can see, that's exactly what I did :)

Odd, as I would expect the original design would have no problem. [...]I suspect you left out one or two very important details.  I suspect is may have to do with your gold standard software and how it works.
Mr. Smith, I don't have any "gold standard" software for the NanoVNA.
However, your software could be a good candidate for such a title, if you would like to give me the necessary support to be able to solve the problems that prevent me from being able to use it (now, at least, for the original NanoVNA).

Attached is a screen shot of my latest software for the original NanoVNA using your settings.  Note that I have ran a full SOLT on it using these same settings.   Shown with the home made 50dB attenuator attached.  There's no magic... It just works as I would expect.
Mr. Smith, I am 100% sure that your software works very well and I suppose that something was wrong on my side.
I haven't said anything different so far!
That is also the reason why I asked for your support. As you noticed, I followed all the steps you specified, the application (NanoVNA V2 Plus4) started, sweeped without being calibrated, but after full calibration, the sweep did not started again. I'm sure something is missing, but I have no one else to ask but the author of the software himself ... 
Anyway, now the NanoVNA V2 Plus4 is gone, so I'll try to use the original one (NanoVNA V1).

So, there are two possible answers.  When it appears stoned as you put it, what is the CPU usage?
About 5% to 8%, please see the screenshot below:

You have ran so many combos and done your absolute best to muddy the waters
Hmm. I just tried your software in its both versions, with two distinct devices: the NanoVNA V2 Plus4 (with the appropriate software version, as you noticed from the screenshots) and the original NanoVNA (V1) with your NanoVNA.exe (v2.03).

so I am not sure if you ran the 1.x software with the original NanoVNA or not.
I tried, of course. But only for test, to see if something is moving.
Until yesterday (when I sold the V2 Plus4 device) I tried to work with the V2Plus4. 
Since I was left with only NanoVNA V1 (the original one), I will come back with a feedback.
By the way, the firmware version on my NanoVNA V1 is 0.8.0 (the last official one).
I hope that this is OK...

Best regards,
Bob
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 10:02:58 pm by bobinuta »

Offline bobinuta

« Reply #1194 on: July 08, 2021, 10:02:21 pm »
Good evening again!
I setup the V2Plus4 and followed the same procedure, using your settings.  Again, full SOLT using your settings.   Shown with the same homemade 50dB attenuator inserted.   My setup appears as expected. 
I have no doubt that you could not have problems with your own software!

Obviously you are attempting to measure crystals which again is not going to work but the attenuator should be fine.
After it was clear that V2Plus4 cannot measure crystals, I left this task to the original V1.

the fact you have the same problem with the other software and the original NanoVNA tells me you are leaving out some important detail.
As I already said, I'm sure the problem is around here, somewhere, and not there!  :)

Well, I don't claim to have a degree in English and I don't live in a country where I speak English all of the day. It is very probable that if you had reasons to try a conversation in Romanian, it would also happen to you to make certain mistakes.

No word from Bob on if they actually did turn off the sweeps when running the cal and if allowing it to collect the data solved their problem.
Not a word, because I didn't have time to deal with the NanoVNA. I read what you wrote in the meantime.

Now did the manual at any point in the section they refer to talk about turning off the sweeps.  Nope.   I wonder if other software requires you to turn them off and this is why they thought it was the right thing to do.
Yes, it's true that I stopped the sweep, because that's how I was used to work with the other software (including the one from VNWA3-E).
Actually, I didn't find anywhere in your software manual that the sweep must be allowed to run when running the SOLT calibration!
I will come back after a new test, with ChnRef pressed and the sweep uninterrupted.   
Thanks for the hint!

They then run through the cal.  Notice the never enable the sweeps so the VNA is collecting a whole lot of nothing (which is why the numbers are so out of joint).   They finish up the cal and save it.   Then decide to enable the sweeps.  Odd they felt the need to turn them off.  I just let the thing run all the time.  [...]
Next they state nothing is happening.  Now, I doubt that's the case.  I suspect the software is collecting the data but because they fucked up the calibration by turning off the sweeps, the data shown is worthless.   Of course, the software allows you to view the raw data but I guess they didn't find that feature. [...]
I may have to just dumb the whole software down for the radio group.   No amateur left behind.  Time to go check my antennas SWR.
It's very interesting that you speak as if you were addressing an amphitheater audience or an alien park. :-DD
Well, if you don't like amateurs, then maybe it would have been better not to address such an audience.
If you are a great pro and others do not have your knowledge, you should expect mistakes due to a way of thinking that very few amateurs can have, because they do not have the knowledge or practice that a 'pro' can have.

It's up to you whether you enjoy helping and teaching others, or not. If that's what you want, it's normal to meet stupid questions and mistakes. Here's the difference between an amateur and a pro. But few professionals have talent and didactic motivation, unfortunately. If you also address the amateur area, do not expect a professional level from them.
Also, if you enjoy teaching others, a good practice would be to try to be less critical. I am immune to such details anyway. :-DD

Berst regards,
Bob
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 10:12:45 pm by bobinuta »

Offline bobinuta

« Reply #1195 on: July 09, 2021, 12:34:01 am »
I will come back after a new test, with ChnRef pressed and the sweep uninterrupted.   

Dear Mr. Smith,
I used your NanoVNA software as you proposed and now everything works and makes sense!
Thanks for your time!

As you can see, it was enough to make some clarifications that you would not have addressed to professionals, but which were of real use to a hobbyist like me. I don't think it was that hard, was it?  :)

Below is a video clip with a duration of approx. 1:30 min. and screenshots that demonstrate the operation of your NanoVNA.exe software (v.2.05) by controlling the original NanoVNA V1 model.

Once here, I want to mention that I never considered a VNA as a simple antenna analyzer. I know very well what the difference is and I also understand the reasons for this unwanted confusion. However, you must also understand the point of view of an amateur, who cannot think like a pro. The fact that NanoVNA offers the functions of a vector analyzer (even if not the accuracy of a professional one) at a very low price makes it accessible to amateurs who took a scalar antenna analyzer as a reference device, not long ago.

Certainly, if you'll overcome the moments when amateurs will ask you unexpected and maybe uninspired questions (or which betray a lack of specialized knowledge), you will create an excellent image for you - and your software will be viewed with great confidence.

Next week I will go on vacation, but after I'll be back  8) , I hope to do some more reviews of your software, or to ask you about some of its features (which may be useful in completing the user manual).

Best regards,
Bob

VIDEO:

SCREENSHOTS (click to enlarge):

1. The LOAD standard itself (Smith diagram)

2. The LOAD standard itself (impedance)

3. The LOAD standard itself (S11 / Return Loss)

4. The OPEN standard itself (Smith diagram)

5. The SHORT standard itself (Smith diagram)

6. The 10.7 MHz - 5 crystals ladder home-made SSB filter, unadapted (Smith diagram)

7. The 10.7 MHz - 5 crystals ladder home-made SSB filter, unadapted (transmission S21)

8. The 10.7 MHz - 5 crystals ladder home-made SSB filter, unadapted ( reflection coefficient S11)

9. The 10.7 MHz - 5 crystals ladder home-made SSB filter, unadapted ( impedance)

10. Raw data for the same filter:

Attached is the Touchstone s2p file for this filter (sweep only from A to B port).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 12:37:17 am by bobinuta »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1196 on: July 09, 2021, 10:59:06 am »
Yesterday I sold the V2Plus4 and I was left only with V1.
...  the fact that V2 Plus4 cannot be used for crystal sweep (that was only a disappointing finding),  ...

FYI  OWO had posted firmware for the V2Plus4 which may allow it to make these measurements.  It was not an official release and I have no plans to try it.   

Just for the record, I quote below the Owo's reply:
Actually, I had included the reference but no matter. 

By the way, the firmware version on my NanoVNA V1 is 0.8.0 (the last official one).
I hope that this is OK...

I've posted I had problems when using that version with my software but you are certainly free to run any firmware you like.

Well, I don't claim to have a degree in English and I don't live in a country where I speak English all of the day. It is very probable that if you had reasons to try a conversation in Romanian, it would also happen to you to make certain mistakes.

You will notice that the post was edited by myself.  Often I will post a series of * followed by the reason for the change.  In this case, my poor grammar made it difficult for even me, the person who wrote it, follow.   

Now did the manual at any point in the section they refer to talk about turning off the sweeps.  Nope.   I wonder if other software requires you to turn them off and this is why they thought it was the right thing to do.
Yes, it's true that I stopped the sweep, because that's how I was used to work with the other software (including the one from VNWA3-E).
Actually, I didn't find anywhere in your software manual that the sweep must be allowed to run when running the SOLT calibration!
Again, I would expect the reader to follow along in the manual.  In section 12.5, Displaying Data it states "Select the Sweep button and the software will begin collecting data from the V2+.  " .  After this the manual never states to turn it off.  And while my house does not have a manual explaining to turn the light switch to the on position in order to be able to see when it gets too dark,  I certainly know that for my childhood.  Again, the software is not for the beginner.

Too funny.  It's as if you are not wanting to understand what these buttons do and want to just press them at random.  12.6 Normalization Example,  covers using  Chn-Ref rather than running a full calibration.     By the time the reader gets to to 12.8 SOLT Calibration, the CHn-Ref is still active and the second sentence is to turn it off.   Random button pressing is never going to work.  You need to learn what each button does to leverage its use.

It's very interesting that you speak as if you were addressing an amphitheater audience or an alien park. :-DD
Well, if you don't like amateurs, then maybe it would have been better not to address such an audience.

Additionally, there have been ongoing efforts to create other software for the NanoVNAs.   I have not been following their development but understand these programs have been largely adopted by the radio community.   My software was not written for this group.  It was designed as an engineering tool for the RF experimenter.  Having other software available should help reduce the effort required to support this package. 

The manual is clear that the software was not written for the amateurs.  It's not a matter of liking or disliking but rather the amount of support many from this group will require. After so many from this group continuously whined about my not releasing the early versions of the software,  I knew if I ever released it that this group would require the most support. 

Dear Mr. Smith,
I used your NanoVNA software as you proposed and now everything works and makes sense!
Thanks for your time!

I doubt it actually makes sense. Read the manual on normalization and run some experiments until you understand what that button actually does.   

As you can see, it was enough to make some clarifications that you would not have addressed to professionals, but which were of real use to a hobbyist like me. I don't think it was that hard, was it?  :)

I would guess that I spent 10 hours this week answering questions from the amateur group.  Most with the need to write me directly about their own personal problems.  I suspect they don't want to ask questions in a public forum as they feel they are experts and it looks bad in front of their peers (ego).    Even though you had problems with turning on the light switch so to speak, at least you put it out there on a public forum so others could learn.    For that, you have my respect.   

..However, you must also understand the point of view of an amateur, who cannot think like a pro.
I had an amateur license early on which consisted of memorizing the materials and playing them back.  Everything you need to know is handed to you.  In engineering its learning to use the materials to solve other problems.   That learning starts with a higher education and takes a life time.    It's not that the amateurs could not learn these skills,  I just suspect most have little interest in such things.   Many of them I knew growing up were really just wanting the modern cell phone.  They would buy their radios and antennas, hook them up and start blabbing (they call it advancing the art). 

Offline bobinuta

« Reply #1197 on: July 11, 2021, 08:38:41 am »
Good morning Mr. Smith,
Thank you for the reply and comments!

FYI  OWO had posted firmware for the V2Plus4 which may allow it to make these measurements.  It was not an official release and I have no plans to try it.

Are you referring to this post?
https://groups.io/g/NanoVNAV2/message/2133

Actually, I had included the reference but no matter.
Well, I think it matters. Because if I had found such a reference, I would not have asked. It is also possible that it was not too obvious and then I did not notice it, in which case I apologize.

I've posted I had problems when using that version with my software but you are certainly free to run any firmware you like.
Probably somewhere in the posts starting from the page 20 of this topic   ::).
I didn't have time to read and digest all those posts, but I'll look over them after I return from vacation.

You will notice that the post was edited by myself.  Often I will post a series of * followed by the reason for the change.  In this case, my poor grammar made it difficult for even me, the person who wrote it, follow.
Well, see? A matter of interpreting expressions and practicing English fluently. My apologies!

Now did the manual at any point in the section they refer to talk about turning off the sweeps.  Nope.   I wonder if other software requires you to turn them off [...]

Mr. Smith, in other software it is not stipulated directly, but it can be seen from their use. As an example, NanoVNA-Saver or VNWA-3 software. When you calibrate the device, the sweep is turned on automatically only when the calibration standards are applied and when the user presses the corresponding buttons. After completing the calibration operations, the sweep is inactive and can be turned on by the user when needed.
I also used other older analyzers, such as the HP8714B, where things are pretty much the same: you calibrate it and start the sweep manually, when you want.
Now I hope you understand that once I used other systems that behaved relatively identically, I couldn't guess that your software is based on a slightly different philosophy :)

Again, I would expect the reader to follow along in the manual.  In section 12.5, Displaying Data it states "Select the Sweep button and the software will begin collecting data from the V2+.  " .  After this the manual never states to turn it off.  [...]
Again, the software is not for the beginner.
I have noticed that you often mention that your software is not for beginners. It's very good that you say this, but it depends on what you mean by beginners. Personally, I have nothing to do with the RF pro area, but I have a basic understanding of the principles of operation of a VNA, and since 2012 and until now I have had access and used several types on the amateur market (eg: miniVNA series, N2PK VNA, DG8SAQ VNWA-3E, MetroVNA Deluxe) and with some older professional VNAs (such as HP8714B) or slightly newer stuff, such as Agilent N9912A (portable), Anritsu MS46322A.
However, the particularities of design and use (including menus, functions, names) may differ from one example to another.
The same happened with your software, and it will probably happen again and the learning curve will be quite steep.

Too funny.  It's as if you are not wanting to understand what these buttons do and want to just press them at random.  12.6 Normalization Example,  covers using  Chn-Ref rather than running a full calibration.     By the time the reader gets to to 12.8 SOLT Calibration, the CHn-Ref is still active and the second sentence is to turn it off.   Random button pressing is never going to work.  You need to learn what each button does to leverage its use. [...]
Additionally, there have been ongoing efforts to create other software for the NanoVNAs.   I have not been following their development but understand these programs have been largely adopted by the radio community.   My software was not written for this group.  It was designed as an engineering tool for the RF experimenter.

Mr. Smith, again - it is clear that you designed the software first for your personal use (maybe some friends) and probably without the intention of giving it in that form to others. Therefore, its use is less intuitive.
In the case of the series products, most manufacturers have implemented similar functions and modes of operation, to reduce the learning curve and to ensure that the potential buyer (user) will not be discouraged.
I encountered a different situation with Rohde & Schwarz products, which have different and less intuitive menus than those from HP, for example. However, for each device, there are very clearly stated procedures that leave no room for interpretations based on previous experiences.
In your case, you have a software that you offer for free and as in the case of Linux, people should expect that you will not have the time (and probably not the disposition) to document each element. So the RTFM is the best for every potential user, *but* the direct advice from the author is essential.
I already understood you, it remains to be seen how you will want to treat what you started, if you want to help amateurs with items from the pro area and if observations such as those made by me can cause you to add details to the user manual which you may not have thought of.
Obviously, it's up to you first  :)

The manual is clear that the software was not written for the amateurs.  It's not a matter of liking or disliking but rather the amount of support many from this group will require.

Mr. Smith, you are not alone, believe me  :)
As I exemplified above, it is not a matter of amateur or professional to deduce that the sweep must be active when you do the calibration. And also, although you posted pictures in the manual, the fact that you have to use ChnRef ON to calibrate and OFF after that, is less visible (although you are right that you wrote about it).
Believe me, I also turned to a friend with experience in the field, who did not "catch" the trick of using your software, even after 15 minutes of remote session on my PC.
It's like switching from HP/Anritsu to R&S.  8)
Your software seems very cool and elaborate, but it still needs some additional documentation.
But once here, the contributions of those who will want to post (as I am willing to do) may help and eventually convince you to include additional explanations in your future revisions of the user manual  ;)
Later, you can also do something else, if you like: extra paid support. You can get an advanced edition of the manual, which includes more examples and detailed explanations, for a fee. If it has an affordable price, people will definitely buy it.

I doubt it actually makes sense. Read the manual on normalization and run some experiments until you understand what that button actually does.

Be sure I will  ::)
Now, the nanoVNA is with my father, so that he can get used to it a little, and I go on vacation. When I return, I will resume the experiments and digging ;-)
But don't be so sure that what I saw and what I already read about your software, it didn't make sense.

Regarding normalization, if it has the same meaning as the one I used for the old HP8714B, then you may have already understood ;-)
There, the procedure has been named "Normalization Calibration".
The analyzer stores measured data taken ( DUT not connected) into memory, and divides subsequent measured data by the stored data in order to remove frequency response errors. On that device, the normalization calibration could be used either for transmission or for a reflection measurement. At the end of the procedure, the DUT is inserted and when starting sweep, the data displayed is the transmission coefficient for the DUT (including all the connectors and cables) divided by the transmission coefficient for the connectors and cables alone.

So, do you think that in the case of your software, the normalization process does the same thing?

I would guess that I spent 10 hours this week answering questions from the amateur group.  Most with the need to write me directly about their own personal problems.  I suspect they don't want to ask questions in a public forum as they feel they are experts and it looks bad in front of their peers (ego).

With all due respect, but honestly, I think it's exactly the opposite.  8)
In general, a beginner is intimidated when dealing with more experienced people, or even worse, with professionals who "take them up" or throw them a dry and harsh "RTFM"  >:D
But this is not my case, as I said and as you noticed.   
After all, that's the purpose of forums: to provide quick support to those in need. Not to send them to read volumes of technical literature (if not). It is true that in the case of your software, both variants can be applied: both the short one, but also RTFM, without which the use cannot be deepened.

Even though you had problems with turning on the light switch so to speak, at least you put it out there on a public forum so others could learn.    For that, you have my respect.
Thank you for your understanding and I assure you that the feeling of respect is mutual !
Chapeau bas, Mr. Smith!

I also assure you that I have always enjoyed to share with those around me some of the experience I have gained, as much as it is.

In engineering its learning to use the materials to solve other problems.   That learning starts with a higher education and takes a life time.
Believe me I know and understand this aspect. I am also an engineer, but not in the RF field.

It's not that the amateurs could not learn these skills,  I just suspect most have little interest in such things. 
Many of the radio amateurs are also engineers (and even in the area of RF or telecommunications), a good part of them are even involved in complex projects (for example, space communications, satellites, etc.). Some of them are even employees of companies that produce equipment for amateur radio (Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu, etc.) or for the professional area.
Many of the special software used by radio amateurs were designed by their colleagues in the professional field.

However, the hams who do not work in the professional area, have minimal needs to learn radio engineering and should not be treated "from above". On the contrary, they need a help to overcome some barriers and to be able to use some cheap devices (such as NanoVNA) with the help of specialized software (such as the one you released) to achieve their small hobby goals - those that produce them joy.
I was always happy when I was able to produce a smile of joy on the face of an amateur radio colleague whom I helped to build a project, to tune an antenna, or to understand something specific. And I am convinced that you know this feeling too!

I'm ending here my reply and the plea for the amateurs, thanking you for your understanding and congratulating you for the work you've done when making this software. I also express my hope that by understanding the above, especially from the perspective of a former ham, you will treat amateurs with more understanding ;-)

Best regards,
Bob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1198 on: July 11, 2021, 02:43:41 pm »
Good morning Mr. Smith,
Thank you for the reply and comments!

Thanks for hanging in there.   

I suspect you don't always look at the attachments which leads to some of your confusion. 

Mr. Smith, in other software it is not stipulated directly, but it can be seen from their use. As an example, NanoVNA-Saver or VNWA-3 software. When you calibrate the device, the sweep is turned on automatically only when the calibration standards are applied and when the user presses the corresponding buttons. After completing the calibration operations, the sweep is inactive and can be turned on by the user when needed.

I looked at one of the very first open sourced programs when they had just started to develop it to make sure it connected and provide that feedback.  Outside of that, I've only looked at the software supplied with the low cost VNAs.   I wrote the original software 20 some years ago and continue to develop it.  I show the software from 2002 working with my first VNA and a home made converter.   

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/agilent-e835xa-pna-vna-notes/msg3604844/#msg3604844 

Outside of using an 8753, at that time I had no other experience with VNAs or their UI.     

Mr. Smith, again - it is clear that you designed the software first for your personal use (maybe some friends) and probably without the intention of giving it in that form to others. Therefore, its use is less intuitive.
In the case of the series products, most manufacturers have implemented similar functions and modes of operation, to reduce the learning curve and to ensure that the potential buyer (user) will not be discouraged.

I try to discourage people from using my software.  It's free.   Support, well if you you can't do your own research or even be bothered to review the materials provided, expect to be called out.  While user's (especially the amateur radio group) view themselves as customers, I don't.  This is my business model.   :-DD     If you can make use of it, fine. 

I already understood you, it remains to be seen how you will want to treat what you started, if you want to help amateurs with items from the pro area and if observations such as those made by me can cause you to add details to the user manual which you may not have thought of.
Obviously, it's up to you first  :)

The majority of amateur radio operators who have contacted me have made it clear that they are entitled, demanding, like to whine and their license makes them an expert.  It's a really an odd trend and not what I would have expected.  I have no interest in working with such people at any level.   

And also, although you posted pictures in the manual, the fact that you have to use ChnRef ON to calibrate and OFF after that, is less visible (although you are right that you wrote about it).

Odd that you are still not understanding the Chn-Ref.   You would never set Chn-Ref ON before running a SOLT.  Of course, the software will allow it and assumes you know what you are doing.   With so many videos walking you through the basics and my continuing to point out you're not understanding it, I am surprised. 

Believe me, I also turned to a friend with experience in the field, who did not "catch" the trick of using your software, even after 15 minutes of remote session on my PC.
It's like switching from HP/Anritsu to R&S.  8)

With you showing them the ropes, it doesn't surprise me at all. 

Later, you can also do something else, if you like: extra paid support. You can get an advanced edition of the manual, which includes more examples and detailed explanations, for a fee. If it has an affordable price, people will definitely buy it.

You have no idea of the time and effort I have put into testing handheld DMMs.  Sure the meters cost money as well but that's hardly worth mentioning.  I have never asked people to join my non-existent  Patrion, click that bell, subscribe and like, and ads are disabled.  Outside of the EEVBLOG, I have no social media presence, no twittbook accounts.  I have never asked anything from my followers other than not to whine.   If people get something out of what I post great.  Don't like the content, find a better channel.  I work on what I want, when I want and once in a while share it.   

Regarding normalization, if it has the same meaning as the one I used for the old HP8714B, then you may have already understood ;-)
There, the procedure has been named "Normalization Calibration".
The analyzer stores measured data taken ( DUT not connected) into memory, and divides subsequent measured data by the stored data in order to remove frequency response errors. On that device, the normalization calibration could be used either for transmission or for a reflection measurement. At the end of the procedure, the DUT is inserted and when starting sweep, the data displayed is the transmission coefficient for the DUT (including all the connectors and cables) divided by the transmission coefficient for the connectors and cables alone.

So, do you think that in the case of your software, the normalization process does the same thing?

My first VNA was all mechanical.  The storage normalizer was an add-on and allows subtracting the reference (and a few other tricks).  There was no means to run a SOLT calibration.  Or course, add a PC with some software and that can be resolved.  Of course, normalize still has its place and why I continue to support it.   

Believe me I know and understand this aspect. I am also an engineer, but not in the RF field.

On this forum, Dave has made it clear that everyone is an engineer who wants to call themselves such.   So, sure.  When I talk about engineers in the context of my software, I am assuming they hold a BS or MS in EE.   Again, I'm not suggesting that it is required but that is the target audience (of one). 

Cleanup. 

Also, thinking about paid support.   A friend of mine had brought me a product they had bought used and asked if I could check it out.   It worked really well and I was so impressed with the design I got in touch with the company who produced it as it was no longer being offered.  I spoke with sales as well as the designer explaining how impressed I was and how I was so surprised they stopped selling it.   

What had happened is they made a very nice product and sold it to a market that had no clue how to use it.  They were so swamped with trying to answer the basic questions (IMO it had a well written manual) that they could not focus other parts of the business.  So they dropped it.   
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 02:56:11 pm by joeqsmith »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1199 on: July 27, 2021, 03:08:31 am »
I've been looking back into the lockup problems that caused me to pack up the V2Plus.   Enough time had passed I wanted to see if the new firmware addressed the problem.  Attached picture is showing the version I am currently testing (nothing more than staying connected and collecting data).   If this version will stay running for 24 hours non-stop, I will have a look to see if has any problems that would prevent it's use with my software.

https://groups.io/g/NanoVNAV2/topic/84446397?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0::recentpostdate/sticky,,,20,2,0,84446397

I wonder if the people writing the firmware are even aware that they addressed the lockup problem or if they just got lucky.   :-DD    If you enjoy endlessly reprogramming your devices and wasting time hunting problems like this one,  I highly recommend these low cost VNAs.   Endless fun. :-DD :palm:

missing words...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 10:42:16 am by joeqsmith »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf