Poll

How many cycles will the KeySight U1281A's detent spring last?

0-2000
7 (17.1%)
2k-4k
5 (12.2%)
4k-8k
15 (36.6%)
8k-16k
8 (19.5%)
>16k (most rubust meter ever made)
6 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Handheld meter robustness testing  (Read 1169424 times)

Offline evava

• Regular Contributor
testers for mains use?
« Reply #1525 on: June 06, 2017, 06:36:23 pm »
Joe, when you have finished with Gossen, what about to test some meters (or better testers) which are directly meant to poke into mains with.
Would you be so kind to test this two UNI-T testers, which I often use for mains (instead of multimeters), but after seeing so much videos from you I am now not so sure if they are enough safe:

UT15C: https://www.amazon.com/Multifunction-Voltage-Tester-UNI-Trend-UT15C/dp/B0053X7HI2
UT18C: https://www.amazon.com/Voltage-Continuity-Indication-Battery-Detection/dp/B01AJJA6S2

Technically they are multimeters IMHO (without Amp range - like Fluke 101).

Manual UT15C https://www.soselectronic.cz/a_info/resource/l/UT15ABC.pdf does not mention CAT ratings, only "overvoltage 690V" and "Constructed in accordance with IEC 61010 and IEC 61243-3".

And UT18C according to manual http://www.batronix.com/pdf/uni-t/UT18ABCD-manual-en.pdf has got CAT III 690V and CAT IV 600V.

What do you think about it?

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: testers for mains use?
« Reply #1526 on: June 06, 2017, 07:06:46 pm »
Joe, when you have finished with Gossen, what about to test some meters (or better testers) which are directly meant to poke into mains with.
Would you be so kind to test this two UNI-T testers, which I often use for mains (instead of multimeters), but after seeing so much videos from you I am now not so sure if they are enough safe:

UT15C: https://www.amazon.com/Multifunction-Voltage-Tester-UNI-Trend-UT15C/dp/B0053X7HI2
UT18C: https://www.amazon.com/Voltage-Continuity-Indication-Battery-Detection/dp/B01AJJA6S2

Technically they are multimeters IMHO (without Amp range - like Fluke 101).

Like this?

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Handheld meter electrical robustness testing.
« Reply #1527 on: June 06, 2017, 07:20:39 pm »
A special drop test for Fungus

I'm so proud.  :)

I guess the rubber helps a lot in those sort of drops.

Offline evava

• Regular Contributor
Re: testers for mains use?
« Reply #1528 on: June 06, 2017, 07:25:23 pm »

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1529 on: June 07, 2017, 12:21:04 am »
A special drop test for Fungus

I'm so proud.  :)

I guess the rubber helps a lot in those sort of drops.

Normally, I would have never considered doing anything like this.  I'm not sure if the rubber just added weight and increased the shock or if it helped to soften it.  Hard to say without instrumenting it.  We can go with your guess that the rubber helps a lot. 

Evava, there is a spreadsheet linked to the very first post in this thread that contains every meter I have looked at so far.   I am guessing you did not watch the last few videos or fell asleep, as I mentioned running the 15C. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1530 on: June 07, 2017, 11:41:12 am »
I did receive an email from GMC.  It seems they now understand my concern with the meter's mechanical relay.   

We appreciate your findings about the sensitivity of the relay to magnetic fields and the possibility for a wrong AC voltage display. The relay has not caused a safety concern so far, because the possibility for a wrong AC display was not known. This is new to us and we shall have a risk assessment concerning this.

I would like to read the risk assessment.  It may be very insightful. 

All your findings are under investigation in R&D. The target is of course an improvement of the device concerning its sensitivity to external electromagnetic fields. The solution shall of course become available for the serial production of the device, thus we cannot promise it short term, but we are targeting to make it available a.s.a.p.

If I hear anymore from them, I will let you know.  Sounds like it may be a while.     

The following users thanked this post: imidis

Offline totalnoob

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1531 on: June 07, 2017, 12:09:06 pm »
"Sounds like it may be a while."

Yep, like at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark, when Indy was told "Top Men" were working on the Ark   :-DD

Offline lem_ix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1532 on: June 07, 2017, 01:43:26 pm »
Haha you may have convinced Gossen but the fanboys won't budge :-DD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1533 on: June 07, 2017, 11:31:00 pm »
I took the Ultra back apart and saw no signs of anything starting to breakdown.   Made a few changes to it while I had it apart. 

The following users thanked this post: lem_ix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1534 on: June 09, 2017, 02:56:37 am »
The shield in the above pictures did not work so well.  Back to the drawing board.  Here is the final shield and other mods in operation.   

The following users thanked this post: Vgkid, tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1535 on: June 09, 2017, 04:59:43 pm »
Big thanks to Dave for sending one of the only two 121GWs he has.  Looks like it will arrive next week.   

Will it pass the grill starter?  Stay tuned and find out.

Offline MacMeter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1536 on: June 09, 2017, 05:39:40 pm »
Big thanks to Dave for sending one of the only two 121GWs he has.  Looks like it will arrive next week.   

Will it pass the grill starter?  Stay tuned and find out.

But will it survive the 5 story drop test? :)

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1537 on: June 09, 2017, 07:07:32 pm »
I want to know if it'll survive a 1.21 GW burst.   Joe, can you arrange to perform that test?   :-DD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MacMeter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1538 on: June 09, 2017, 09:33:47 pm »
The shield in the above pictures did not work so well.  Back to the drawing board.  Here is the final shield and other mods in operation.   

Nice work!
Gossen will no doubt be offering a "joeqsmith" update/fix for $250.00, which may include the dust plug.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1539 on: June 09, 2017, 11:23:54 pm »
Nice work!
Gossen will no doubt be offering a "joeqsmith" update/fix for $250.00, which may include the dust plug.

Let's not encourage the gent to expect a cut for the JQS Mod, and leave his current day job,

going hungry in the street waiting for a royalty cheque in the mail   
                                                                  "Will stress test and mod multimeter for food"   :'(

Even at $250, I would not take them up on the offer.  It would have to be for free and as soon as it arrived, you know what I would do with it?  You should!  They would have to be VERY confident in their changes to want to send one to me and all I have to say is they better do their homework before they would even consider it.   

Again, I run the meters out of my own interest and just share my findings.  If I were doing it to make money, my current business model is flawed!  And again, I want to thank everyone who has offered to help.   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1540 on: June 09, 2017, 11:29:44 pm »
I want to know if it'll survive a 1.21 GW burst.   Joe, can you arrange to perform that test?   :-DD

Maybe tie it to some kite string during the next big storm?   

Let's start with the grill starter.  EVERY meter ever made should at least handle that.   

Offline zaoka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1541 on: June 09, 2017, 11:40:02 pm »
Next to UL should be JS  :-+ :-//

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1542 on: June 10, 2017, 01:16:25 am »
Again, I run the meters out of my own interest and just share my findings.  If I were doing it to make money, my current business model is flawed!  And again, I want to thank everyone who has offered to help.

You mean you take a loss on an individual basis but make up for it in volume?   :-DD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1543 on: June 10, 2017, 05:08:41 am »
One more follow up video.  Using the Ultra to measure simulated high ESR capacitors.   Wrist straps and fabric.  Transient testing the modified meter at 12KV.     

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1545 on: June 10, 2017, 09:27:03 am »
Somebody's badmouthing joe

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fluke-87v-(2017)-lacking-quality-control/msg1229950/#msg1229950

It's not badmouthing... I'm  saying don't believe everything you read... if I wanted to badmouth, I'd call him a hack...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1546 on: June 10, 2017, 12:28:18 pm »
Somebody's badmouthing joe

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fluke-87v-(2017)-lacking-quality-control/msg1229950/#msg1229950

It's not badmouthing... I'm  saying don't believe everything you read... if I wanted to badmouth, I'd call him a hack...

Maybe see would have been a better choice as most watch my videos, not read them.

I have yet to see you post anything outside of trolling the forum.   You are certainly welcome to point out what you feel I misrepresented.  You could repeat the tests if you like and show your own data.  Personally I would welcome you bringing something to the table for once rather then all your personal attacks on me and others over such trivial things.   

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #1547 on: June 10, 2017, 12:35:35 pm »
I have yet to see you post anything outside of trolling the forum.   You are certainly welcome to point out what you feel I misrepresented.  You could repeat the tests if you like and show your own data.  Personally I would welcome you bringing something to the table for once rather then all your personal attacks on me and others over such trivial things.   

They're just haters Joe. I appreciate your work. It's information. New information is always a good thing.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: 3db

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1548 on: June 10, 2017, 01:45:04 pm »
In that last clip I show how the 10Meg resistance was fairly low.  I did not do a very good job keeping things clean when I had it apart to make the last changes.   A little TLC with some cleaner and the resistance is back to normal. 

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #1549 on: June 10, 2017, 10:52:01 pm »
That's quite a difference a little cleaning makes. I shall keep that in mind.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf