Author Topic: Rigol's New DHO800 Oscilloscope unbox & teardown  (Read 279193 times)

Offline ozkarah

• Regular Contributor
Re: Rigol's New DHO800 Oscilloscope unbox & teardown
« Reply #1300 on: October 05, 2023, 11:29:05 pm »
Rigol DHO800 vertical zoom bias limit while stopped. Bug, issue.
It's impossible to look at 12 bit details on signals captured outside bias range of lower scales. Even in the zoom mode.
https://youtu.be/ANvczYUG8iU

This should be related with the offset range described in the datasheet

1892355-0
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 11:33:06 pm by ozkarah »

Offline rpro

• Contributor
« Reply #1301 on: October 05, 2023, 11:57:39 pm »
No way to change any specific XY mode options: all are inactive (the user manual confirms this).

In addition to changing memory length settings (and sampling rates thereby) for the X and Y channels, you can activate the (unreleased) XY "Advanced Settings" options by entering into "Test Mode" (by pressing 3 times the Utility->About menu item). E.g., 625MSa/s, zero Persistence with small "Wave Width" and moderate "Wave Intensity" render dynamic XY plots that look great to me.

The following users thanked this post: dmulligan

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1302 on: October 06, 2023, 12:41:12 am »
No way to change any specific XY mode options: all are inactive (the user manual confirms this).
Rigol DHO800 "Bad apple" oscilloscope music file
Frame rate is not sufficient, the picture is not clear, some objects are blurred. Firmware 1.00.
Please, leave a comment if you know how to improve the picture.

Frame rate is usually directly related to memory size/sample rate. 100kpoints seems like a lot to me for this demo.

The file plays at 96kHz so you want a sample rate close to that (not 1.25GHz!)

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1303 on: October 06, 2023, 04:56:32 am »
The file plays at 96kHz so you want a sample rate close to that (not 1.25GHz!)

*1.25 MSa/s

Offline niino

• Contributor
« Reply #1304 on: October 06, 2023, 05:24:24 am »
hi,
Sorry for stupid question, but can Rigol DHO series 800 show/display laser rf signal correctly tike in example photo?
this thing is kind a challenge for some of digital oscilloscopes...

Thanks

Works for me. This is the RF signal from a 1x CD drive.

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore, Martin72, UK, Nokeshas

Offline Serg65536

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1305 on: October 06, 2023, 11:59:22 am »
This should be related with the offset range described in the datasheet
The offset range is for the input amplifier. In stop mode there's only software limitation. It should be removed to enable signal exploration, at least in the zoom mode. Otherwise, it's a 12-bit scope without an ability to see full resolution on most part of the captured signal.

Offline Serg65536

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1306 on: October 06, 2023, 12:01:20 pm »
"Test Mode" (by pressing 3 times the Utility->About menu item)
Thank you very much. This option is very useful.

Offline rpro

• Contributor
« Reply #1307 on: October 07, 2023, 02:31:18 am »
Otherwise, it's a 12-bit scope without an ability to see full resolution on most part of the captured signal.

As a workaround (until is fixed) I use the math channels (with their convenient access through their icons at the bottom of the screen). Each allows its own vertical offset and scaling, to zoom on any part of the stopped (or live) waveform, allowing up to 4 separate vert. window/zoom views, if you use all 4.   

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Offline piramida

« Reply #1308 on: October 07, 2023, 07:56:34 pm »
What can you choose as a signal source for FFT?

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #1309 on: October 07, 2023, 08:27:00 pm »
On my 914S, with built-in AWG, I started looking at square waves with the FFT routine to try out different windows, etc.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1310 on: October 07, 2023, 09:49:43 pm »
What can you choose as a signal source for FFT?

The Fine Manual says:

The following users thanked this post: piramida

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1311 on: October 08, 2023, 06:09:22 am »
Just out of curiosity: Has anyone tried a WiFi dongle in the USB port of their new DHO yet? Would the Android OS by any chance include support for that?

Offline Floydfish

• Emoe R&D
« Reply #1312 on: October 08, 2023, 08:32:23 am »
Just out of curiosity: Has anyone tried a WiFi dongle in the USB port of their new DHO yet? Would the Android OS by any chance include support for that?
Find all driver in system and you can found RT8188EU avaliable(and the only one)

I already inserted a RT8188EU wifi adapter in the front usb panel, go to the Android system settings and you can search and config wifi now.
But it seems the front panel usb doesn't support hot swap, so you need to start osc up with the 8188eu plugged in.
By the way, the RIGOL.SCOPE app's "system info" view cannot display the wireless ip address, it seems it only recognize the LAN. Go to the Android system setting and check the wifi status and you'll get the correct IP address.1894035-1

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, exe, ebastler, mwb1100, UK, EMZ1

Offline spaceballs

« Reply #1313 on: October 09, 2023, 04:18:00 am »
Tried XY with this board, had to increase sample depth to get an better picture.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1314 on: October 09, 2023, 09:49:00 am »
With the first users now having their DHO 800 or 900 scopes on the bench, I would be keen to read your comments on usability of the small touch screen.

It seems that the settings display areas at the top and bottom take up a larger portion of the vertical screen space than on most other scopes, presumably to offer large-enough "targets" there for touch operation. Does the remaining display area feel large enough for your taste? On the other hand, are the touch buttons large enough for comfortable operation?

I am considering to get one of these units and complement it with a 14" touch screen when operating it on the bench. According to Dave's observation the scope seems to render its display with the external screen's proper native resolution. But the proportions (with the relatively large settings display bands at the top & bottom) seem to remain the same as on the built-in screen, i.e. we don't get the more balanced layout of the 10" DHOs. So, does the remaining "letterbox" display area for traces etc. work for you?

Thanks for your hands-on observations!

Offline Cees

• Contributor
« Reply #1315 on: October 09, 2023, 10:18:40 am »
Maybe my hands are not that big but there are no problems at all to operate the DHO924S. It is true that in practice there is a mix of both hand and mouse operation, also due to the position of the 924S.

The following users thanked this post: ebastler, Martin72

Online RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1316 on: October 09, 2023, 10:42:14 am »
let me guess: you are left handed Cees?
btw: Nice setup you have there.

Offline Cees

• Contributor
« Reply #1317 on: October 09, 2023, 12:04:46 pm »
Thank you! I am an audio designer but most focussed on DA conversion so besides audio ( see my 24 bit analyzer in the middle ) HF devices are necessary as well for data analysis , DSP but also for side problems like EMI and EMC.

No I am right handed by the way  ;).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 12:09:32 pm by Cees »

The following users thanked this post: RAPo

Online RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1318 on: October 09, 2023, 12:53:00 pm »
I'm left-handed and would have copied your setup of the oscilloscopes and SVNA ....

No I am right handed by the way  ;).

Offline Cees

• Contributor
« Reply #1319 on: October 09, 2023, 01:37:08 pm »
Outside the range of the photo there is also some measuring equipment on the left and right, but it is used less. But given that the 924S is easy to operate with the mouse, it can easily be placed in a high position. An exception is the use as a logic analyzer and I can place it on the table. The flat cable would then be just too short.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1320 on: October 09, 2023, 01:40:47 pm »
I don't like touchscreens in general, and the screen on my DHO914S is a bit small.
I found it usable with one of the styli designed for touchscreens that I bought to go with an iPad Nano (even smaller screen).

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1321 on: October 09, 2023, 03:11:15 pm »
I don't like touchscreens in general, and the screen on my DHO914S is a bit small.
I found it usable with one of the styli designed for touchscreens that I bought to go with an iPad Nano (even smaller screen).

Have you tried a wireless mouse with your new 914? Rob @ tautech pointed us towards this some time ago and didn't think this would matter much wrt our user DSO/MSO experience. Now it's become a needed accessory, really does improve UI and augments the touchscreen and buttons/switches :-+

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1322 on: October 09, 2023, 03:32:23 pm »

Have you tried a wireless mouse with your new 914? Rob @ tautech pointed us towards this some time ago and didn't think this would matter much wrt our user DSO/MSO experience. Now it's become a needed accessory, really does improve UI and augments the touchscreen and buttons/switches :-+

Best,

If I can plug in a USB mouse, I'll see how this works before trying a wireless unit.
Time to dive back into the manual.

Offline mwb1100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1323 on: October 09, 2023, 03:33:35 pm »
Find all driver in system and you can found RT8188EU avaliable(and the only one)

Siglent SDS1104X-E supports the TP-Link TL-WN725N which uses an RTL8188EUS chipset that I believe should work with that driver.  If there is someone with a  DHO800/DHO900 and a SDS1104X-E with a WiFi adapter who could verify that it works in the Rigol oscilloscope, that would be good news.  The TL-WN725N is readily available for $10 (in the US anyway)

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1324 on: October 09, 2023, 03:40:38 pm »

Best,

If I can plug in a USB mouse, I'll see how this works before trying a wireless unit.
Time to dive back into the manual.

We just use a wireless Logitek Keyboard and Mouse, both work on our Siglent. Just plug in the wireless USB dongle (we use a USB expander) and the scope recognizes both and it just works. Altho we don't generally need/use the keyboard, the mouse is always handy.

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf