Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3803910 times)

Offline tomtom007

Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #7425 on: November 26, 2015, 04:52:48 pm »

You can do that in the service menu, although I don't have an E4 to test that with... it works for other FLIR cameras however.

I did it! ;) so

instruction for dummies like me;)

1. Connect EXX in RNDIS mode by USB to computer with Windows XP
2. Open browser and write address 192.168.0.2 (ip of camera can be else)
3. Cick Service menu, then active and wait 60 sec
4. Go to Calibration->Enable/Disable Cases
5. Click 0 C to 650 "Enable" Submit

BTW. why when I try to turn ON from 200 to 1200 there is a message "No RBF"
Is here 3D printable lens for EXX? 45 Degree?

How to switch to the Service Menu?

I have an E5 with 1.1L hardware and 1.22 firmware. Telnet and FileZilla are working perfect. Upgrade Resolution and Menu no problem.
When I type in 192.168.0.2 I get the Main Menu. When I change to the Service Menu und
type in the User Name: flir    and the Password: 3vlig     I get the error massage, that the web side
is not found. I have a Flir B50 and there are no problems......   

Do anyone know the reason why I cannot switch into the Service Menu?

Thanks!

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7426 on: November 26, 2015, 07:09:03 pm »
I have an E5 with 1.1L hardware and 1.22 firmware. Telnet and FileZilla are working perfect. Upgrade Resolution and Menu no problem.
When I type in 192.168.0.2 I get the Main Menu. When I change to the Service Menu und
type in the User Name: flir    and the Password: 3vlig     I get the error massage, that the web side

I believe it was removed in later firmware's. I have managed to put back the web components but there is a application required to be running as well to allow the more advanced features of the service menu to work that I have not been able to get running. (prodapp.exe)

Offline lwi004

• Contributor
« Reply #7427 on: November 26, 2015, 08:40:02 pm »
Yes unfortunately with the later versions the service menu is not available.

I'm hoping to find a workaround to extend the range to 650C.

Offline Solare

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7428 on: November 27, 2015, 12:28:09 am »

Hi! You mentioned "prodapp.exe". May it happen we could use one from the earlier firmware then? I have just checked the application on my 2.3.0, it is not there. Maybe if we add one from the earlier firmware, it will work? Where can I get one?

I believe it was removed in later firmware's. I have managed to put back the web components but there is a application required to be running as well to allow the more advanced features of the service menu to work that I have not been able to get running. (prodapp.exe)

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7429 on: November 27, 2015, 06:07:52 am »
Hi! You mentioned "prodapp.exe". May it happen we could use one from the earlier firmware then? I have just checked the application on my 2.3.0, it is not there. Maybe if we add one from the earlier firmware, it will work? Where can I get one?

I restored a copy from a prev backup and it fails to run when called. I also tried stopping the 2.3.0 appcore and starting the matching one for the prodapp and it will not run as well. It likely needs more or too much has changed in 2.3.0 - but I have been unable to determine what.

Offline irgendjemand

« Reply #7430 on: November 28, 2015, 08:43:24 pm »
I just got a new Flir E4 (after waiting for 2 weeks for that dealer to get it, so this was not out of stock ...) and that one has Software 2.8.0
Hidden menu tells me it was last calibrated 2015-11-20 - wow that was just a week ago.

Is there already any experience with resolution and menu enhancements for this release?

Offline Solare

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7431 on: November 29, 2015, 02:54:28 am »
Well, we all knew this will happen sooner or later... bad luck for you! Unless you are a joker and making a joke of us, this means that all the hacks are not applicable any more.

For the other guys on the Community, please post all the relevant info you have about the new firmware release, so newbies could read and escape buying the brick...

For the one who posted this, please post your last 4 serial number digits. This will also help to avoid unnecessary trouble for the newbies.

Thank you! 

P.S.: so far, no 2.8.0 firmware download is available on the Flir website. Those who remember previous firmware change - can you remember when the new firmware became available on the site after they started to ship it?

Offline irgendjemand

« Reply #7432 on: November 29, 2015, 07:26:15 am »
>Unless you are a joker and making a joke of us, this means that all the hacks are not applicable any more.
At first I did not trust my eyes, especially because 2.3.0 and 2.8.0 look a bit similar.

>For the other guys on the Community, please post all the relevant info you have about the new firmware release, so newbies could read and escape buying the brick...
I don't have much information, because I don't know what to look for. I did a backup of the files that can be copied via FTP
Looking at version information the menu tells me the only difference to my other E4 is:
appkit 2.1.6
fvd 18.0.91.0

>For the one who posted this, please post your last 4 serial number digits. This will also help to avoid unnecessary trouble for the newbies.
I am not sure about the structure of the serial. I guess the first 3 digits are always the same. Followed by 5 individual digits. These 5 digits are different from my other Flir E4 that is 1,5 years old. Wouldn't it be better to post the first 5 digits?
I guess the best idea if you want to buy one is get hold of it and check for the software release in the camera menu.

To be honest, I will return this one to the dealer I try to get hold of an older one.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7433 on: November 29, 2015, 10:00:01 am »
keep in mind, that there are sellers offering the E4 brand new with hack applied already, for those that are not sure if it will work or not.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline MYU

• Contributor
« Reply #7434 on: November 29, 2015, 07:49:18 pm »
Hi
I am new user of hacked flir E4 and have a few question.

1) is it normal when I set emissivity OTHER THAN 0,95 it will be displayed on the screen and if set 0,95 will NOT be displayed?

2) Have installed trial version of flir  tools + and according to this video I see there capture buttons (1:23). But I don't have them, why? (BTW I can stream and record via Flir IR Camera Player).

3) my flir IP is 192.168.1.2. I can see System Information http://192.168.1.2/SysInfo.asp but when click Service Menu http://192.168.1.2/service/index.asp have only "The requested URL was not found."

4)
I can't open the battery stats on the Flir E4.
What do you mean with "hold LEFT + RIGHT cursor"?
When the E4 is busy charging you press the LEFT button and the RIGHT button at the same time for a while.
Edit: to clarify, the camera should be attached to usb or charger (obviously) and powered down.
How to close batery stats?

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7435 on: November 29, 2015, 08:55:45 pm »
Hi
I am new user of hacked flir E4 and have a few question.

1) is it normal when I set emissivity OTHER THAN 0,95 it will be displayed on the screen and if set 0,95 will NOT be displayed?

2) Have installed trial version of flir  tools + and according to this video I see there capture buttons (1:23). But I don't have them, why? (BTW I can stream and record via Flir IR Camera Player).

3) my flir IP is 192.168.1.2. I can see System Information http://192.168.1.2/SysInfo.asp but when click Service Menu http://192.168.1.2/service/index.asp have only "The requested URL was not found."

4)
I can't open the battery stats on the Flir E4.
What do you mean with "hold LEFT + RIGHT cursor"?
When the E4 is busy charging you press the LEFT button and the RIGHT button at the same time for a while.
Edit: to clarify, the camera should be attached to usb or charger (obviously) and powered down.
How to close batery stats?

1) Yes - that's what mine does. (hardware v1.0, firmware v2.3.0)

2) FLIR cripples that feature so it can only be used with higher end cameras. If you want to record, use some of the many other tools out there that can be found by using search.

3) FLIR have removed that function from later firmwares - no public method of restoring it has been found yet that I am aware of if your on 2.3.0. If you are on an older version it may be possible but some one else would have to chime in and verify that.

4) To get rid of the power meter percentage on the charge screen you need to reboot the camera totally. This can be done by removing the battery and power cord, or while the camera is on - press and hold the power button for longer then 5 seconds till the screen goes blank.

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7436 on: November 29, 2015, 09:43:35 pm »

more infos here:
Realtime raw radiometric data streaming via UVC
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-ex-realtime-raw-radiometric-data-streaming-via-uvc/msg729604/#msg729604

Offline MYU

• Contributor
« Reply #7437 on: November 29, 2015, 11:00:43 pm »

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7438 on: November 29, 2015, 11:11:22 pm »

successful upgraded the E4 from 1.19.8 to 2.3.0 with Flir Tools
The resolution hack survived the update (nothing else to do).

the RAW stream grabbing now works fine :)

Offline MYU

• Contributor
« Reply #7439 on: November 30, 2015, 03:04:14 pm »
Menu hack also survived?

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7440 on: November 30, 2015, 05:40:51 pm »
Menu hack also survived?

There are newer menu hacks for the newer firmware.

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7441 on: November 30, 2015, 05:51:14 pm »
sorry, I don't use the menu hack because I'm happy with the native menu functions of E4
image post processing is my world  ;)

Offline MYU

• Contributor
« Reply #7442 on: December 01, 2015, 12:53:33 pm »
There are newer menu hacks for the newer firmware.
Yes, but this hacks are for new camares with 2.3.0 firmware. I read if have old firmware should not update to 2.3.0 becouse of problem with hacks

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg656886/#msg656886
IF YOU HAVE A 1.xx CAMERA: NEVER UPGRADE YOUR CAM - JUST USE THE OLD HACKS
FLIR DID NOT ADD ANYTHING OF RELEVANCE EXCEPT MORE TROUBLE AT HACKING

http://fubar.gr/hacking-the-flir-e4/
There seems to be some issue with cameras that have been upgraded from 1.xx to 2.3.0. For the time being it is recommended to NOT upgrade the camera and use the hack technique for 1.xx firmwares described in the eevblog thread instead.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg670530/#msg670530
I have a problem
E4 updated firmware 1.19 to version 2.3.0
I acted in accordance with hack http://fubar.gr/hacking-the-flir-e4/
Unfortunately it does not work HACK MENU

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg691117/#msg691117
The issue arose for users who upgraded from the earlier unencrypted file system to the later encrypted V2.3. The two are not the same structure and this causes problems when trying to employ the FW 2.x 'hack'.

PS
1. I can't change isolation value (18 on screenshot); when click up/down button I change color palette, but not value. How to change value?
2. I changed temparature range to manual. When click up/down button temparature range (higher and lower)  is changing. They are changing together. Can I change high and low range independently?

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7443 on: December 01, 2015, 01:27:33 pm »
I was wondering if possible to change the custom boot message on the enhanced flirs, to include "property of <name>" contact <phone>".
Is the image just a plain jpeg?

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7444 on: December 01, 2015, 02:00:57 pm »
@MYU

2. Use left/right buttons to select a limit , then up/down to change the selected limit
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7445 on: December 01, 2015, 02:13:58 pm »
I was wondering if possible to change the custom boot message on the enhanced flirs, to include "property of <name>" contact <phone>".
Is the image just a plain jpeg?

I did it to mine - if I remember correctly it's just a bmp.

MYU - doing anything to the camera aside from using it the way FLIR intended carries risks. 100 people could have no issues but then by fluke 1 person may brick their camera. I am not telling you to do anything - I can only offer my experience. I had a 1.0/1.18 camera that was hacked and menu modded and I upgraded it to 2.3.0 and applied the new menu mod to it and it works fine for me. Yes I lost the web service menu but I find the camera better for what I use it for and have encountered no other issues.

Offline Discombobulated Dave

• Contributor
« Reply #7446 on: December 01, 2015, 03:11:01 pm »
just following up on the post a couple of days ago.

I bought an E4 from a UK test equipment company last week, which was delivered on Friday 27/11/15.

My plan was to upgrade the E4 for the higher resolution and I was expecting to see Firmware 2.3.0. I got 2.8.0!!!! I have been able to put the E4 into RNDIS mode and backup the files onto my 64bit Windows 7 machine, however I dont want to run those Python scripts on V2.8.0 and Fubar my new E4.

not sure what to do, as the only reason I bought was because of the upgrade option. Clearly I can send the E4 back and buy another one with confirmed firmware version, but it seems a bit unfair on the seller.

is it realistic to expect some kind of hack on 2.8.0 at some point, based on the previous history and the determination of some very talented people to help this community.

Offline MYU

• Contributor
« Reply #7447 on: December 01, 2015, 03:22:11 pm »
I have insulation and condensation alarm but can't access to thesea alarms submenu as can see in video (9:13)

My fw 1.2.1, hack done with this instruction

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7448 on: December 01, 2015, 10:45:48 pm »
MYU - They are there on my 2.3.0 modded one.

Some one with a modded 1.21/1.22 may need to chime in and say if they have those menu's - it could be that the menu mods for earlier versions do not support those sub menu's. You may not be missing anything - they may simply not be there in the first place.

I believe janekivi who did the 2.3.0 menu mods went quite a bit deeper then what was done in the past to expose more features  :-+ - his advanced menu offers more then I could ever use so I never installed it - just the normal one is awesome.

Dave before you send it back you should set something up to record the screen and go though all the menus/screens/sub menus and upload it so we can see what if anything has changed of importance. Also that backup you made may come in handy to some of the more talented people here so zipping and uploading it as well may be helpful with future hacks. (only if your OK with your s/n being public)

I whipped up a little script that you can run if you have ffmpeg and the FLIR drivers installed that does a good job of recording the screen on even a low end tablet you can read about here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/capturing-video-from-flir-e4-to-portable-device/msg609274/#msg609274

Offline bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7449 on: December 02, 2015, 09:41:23 am »
For those wanting extra menu features on earlier cameras the consensus is that it's risky to do anything other than the "known good" modification for your firmware version. Besides all the menu features are available in Flir Tools for post processing which is good enough for most applications.
During most thermal imaging you want to get good images first then analyse them on Flir Tools.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf