Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2801030 times)

wkb, jhenderson0107 and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #3875 on: September 02, 2017, 06:42:11 pm »
I decided to follow suit and buy a similar adaptor off eBay too. It arrived all ok, and I just tested it out with my HP 8924C using the supplied Agilent Interactive IO software, and it works as expected. I can query it and get a valid response. I also tested it on my HP 8901B modulation analyzer and it worked perfectly too - I must admit it was kinda neat interfacing to a piece of equipment designed and first manufactured in the 1970's, using a USB interface running on a relatively modern computer!

Next step is to get it all working with linux-gpib (like FrankBuss did) and using the Python bindings, write some code to automate some test procedures that I occasionally do.

Nice, is this using the VISA framework? Then you might be able to use it from Windows and Python with something like this. But using it from a small Linux system like the Raspberry Pi has the advantage that you can do long measurements or build test jigs, without the need to run a PC all the time.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3876 on: September 02, 2017, 06:55:00 pm »
I see no reason why you could not run the same Python program with PyVISA-py on an SBC like a Raspberry Pi or BBB. PyVISA-py supports linux-gpib bindings in addition to more modern interfaces like USBTMC and VXI-11.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3877 on: September 02, 2017, 07:46:56 pm »
Something I have after for a while now, a Heathkit V-7AU valve voltmeter. Cant believe how hard it is to come across a good one of these. This one internally is like new and externally is just dirty but a good clean will restore it back to as near mint as it is possible to get. needing calibration and a small problem with the zero adjust top sort out as it is too touchy and breathing on it will cause needle to shoot halfway across the scale.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #3878 on: September 02, 2017, 09:15:30 pm »
Just bought a "Banghao" brand B858L+ hot air station. One hung low, but I hope it can work as a beginners' kit. Also I built myself two USB flash drives...

Offline MattSR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3879 on: September 02, 2017, 10:56:28 pm »
I decided to follow suit and buy a similar adaptor off eBay too. It arrived all ok, and I just tested it out with my HP 8924C using the supplied Agilent Interactive IO software, and it works as expected. I can query it and get a valid response. I also tested it on my HP 8901B modulation analyzer and it worked perfectly too - I must admit it was kinda neat interfacing to a piece of equipment designed and first manufactured in the 1970's, using a USB interface running on a relatively modern computer!

Next step is to get it all working with linux-gpib (like FrankBuss did) and using the Python bindings, write some code to automate some test procedures that I occasionally do.

Nice, is this using the VISA framework? Then you might be able to use it from Windows and Python with something like this. But using it from a small Linux system like the Raspberry Pi has the advantage that you can do long measurements or build test jigs, without the need to run a PC all the time.

Luckily I have a couple of Pi Zeros lying around - the older non-wireless type - so I can dedicate one to the task, kinda like giving the instrument a dedicated interface.

I don't think the 8924C supports VISA, but I'm not really sure what VISA is and how it works. Modern test equipment certainly has come such a long way, with VISA, LXI, Ethernet and USB all included these days.

In any case I can just send the raw ASCII GPIB commands to the unit and request a response, so that's a start.

What does the VISA framework add?

Also, since I have two instruments with GPIB, I am tossing up whether or not to buy a second USB-GPIB adaptor or use a cable to put both devices on the one bus...

Decisions, decisions!

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #3880 on: September 02, 2017, 11:13:22 pm »
VISA is a specification for controlling instruments: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Instrument_Software_Architecture
I remember when I tried to use my SPD3303D power supply on Windows, I had to install the NI VISA libraries to use it. It specifies GPIB access as well, so could be possible that the Agilent drivers implements this API as well. But if you have a Raspberry Pi, better use this. Together with the ideas of the voltnuts platform, it is easy to implement custom measurement solutions with a web interface.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3881 on: September 03, 2017, 07:41:12 am »
The idea of VISA is that it abstracts  the physical interface to an instrument. You can switch between an RS-232, GPIB, USB or LAN connection by only changing the connection string, as opposed to calling different functions to read and write to it, or to trigger it. There are Python bindings and even a pure Python backend that you can use on any Linux platform and probably even Windows without installing the NI stuff.

The voltnuts platform seems to aim for as much device-specific code as possible, so I guess there is no place for such abstractions there.

Offline MattSR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3882 on: September 03, 2017, 07:48:33 am »
So your test instrument has to support VISA right?

Offline Unordung

• Contributor
« Reply #3883 on: September 03, 2017, 07:52:21 am »

Wish me luck!  :scared:

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3884 on: September 03, 2017, 07:57:14 am »
So your test instrument has to support VISA right?
No, it only as to support one of the interfaces (e.g. GPIB or RS-232) that your VISA implementation supports. The instrument can not tell if you called ibwrt (raw GPIB) or viWrite (VISA).

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #3885 on: September 03, 2017, 08:17:52 am »

Wish me luck!  :scared:

I have one and they work very well and there's lots of available nozzles for then. They are aren't as nice to use as an expensive unit due to the weight of the hand piece, but for occasional use it's great value for money.

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #3886 on: September 03, 2017, 08:55:49 am »
I also have such a hot air station. I like it to desolder ICs with that, rather then with the soldering iron and solder wick. Works fine with double layer boards, but 4 layer is already difficult to solder on.
I bought a angle grinder that was on sale:
http://rbastlerblog.jimdo.com/
Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #3887 on: September 03, 2017, 09:17:59 am »
I also have such a hot air station. I like it to desolder ICs with that, rather then with the soldering iron and solder wick. Works fine with double layer boards, but 4 layer is already difficult to solder on.
I bought a angle grinder that was on sale:
MM.. That is handy for SMD repair work, when there is that stubborn IC.  :D

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3888 on: September 03, 2017, 09:47:56 am »
I think he meant using the angle grinder for the stubborn ones :D

Speaking of which, I bought a used OCXO from China lately and it had been removed with an angle grinder or something similar. They just cut the PCB around it.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Vtile

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
« Reply #3889 on: September 03, 2017, 09:53:25 am »
A Micronta 'range doubler' AMM.

Remember having a few of these in a workshop years ago and thinking they were great little instruments. Mint condition, and accuracy is reasonable.
Sometimes an analog is handier than a DMM when you want to see trends, or to monitor voltage longterm without running your battery flat.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #3890 on: September 03, 2017, 10:02:10 am »
Sometimes an analog is handier than a DMM when you want to see trends, or to monitor voltage longterm without running your battery flat.

Trends - like seeing a capacitor charge/discharge, without having to take note of a lot of numbers ... plus voltages (or currents, for that matter) changing too fast for a DMM to give meaningful readings.

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #3891 on: September 03, 2017, 01:01:04 pm »
Very high precision high voltage divider. See:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/high-voltage-divider-what-company-is-this/

Anyone know what company that is?
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #3892 on: September 03, 2017, 01:02:00 pm »

Trends - like seeing a capacitor charge/discharge, without having to take note of a lot of numbers ... plus voltages (or currents, for that matter) changing too fast for a DMM to give meaningful readings.
.. Or for general sanity checks and small fluctuations or poor testlead connection, also parasitic mains voltages (low Z) can be double checked with these, many good uses. I would also claim that the ones (edit. just noticed that MICRONTA do have FET frontend. ...nice. :)  ) with amplified front end are great tools for getting general understanding of electricity, more so than scope and DMM. In the limits of the bandwidth of course.  Plus passive analog meter is great tool to get understanding of the measurement error world.

Also for precision biasing the analog needle is much much more expressive than what the flickering numbers are in the DMM display.

@daqq If there wouldn't be that final peak on the logo I would say old mascot logo, but as it is there I highly doubt it. www.mascot.no
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 01:15:44 pm by Vtile »

Offline Gary350z

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3893 on: September 04, 2017, 12:27:27 pm »
I bought a 1.5 inch tungsten alloy cube.

I got it to check it out, and to show people.
It's amazing to lift because of how heavy it is for it's size. It weighs 2.2 pounds and is 1.7 times heavier than lead.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3894 on: September 04, 2017, 12:51:25 pm »
It's amazing to lift because of how heavy it is for it's size. It weighs 2.2 pounds and is 1.7 times heavier than lead.

cool!!! you should get another one the same size but in magnesium to go with it.

Or in sodium, for an awesome ice-cube replacement....  :scared:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 01:04:56 pm by julianhigginson »

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
« Reply #3895 on: September 04, 2017, 12:57:00 pm »
Poweredge T330.

Unfortunately for a client, not for the workshop.  :(

Nice unit. I'd have hoped for more than one fan though. Not counting the tiny PSU fan of course which won't help much if the main fan fails. Unfortunately nowhere to mount a second one so not much to be done about it.  Would also have liked a dust filter. They supply a rather pointless front cover, and it would have cost no more to put a foam sheet in it. Makes a real difference to the state of the insides after a couple of years onsite.

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #3896 on: September 04, 2017, 06:33:00 pm »
Hmm... What this might be?

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3897 on: September 04, 2017, 07:03:31 pm »

"Dial-a-resistor"!
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3898 on: September 04, 2017, 07:11:22 pm »

"Dial-a-resistor"!

No, it's a self-contained Wheatstone bridge - I can see the galvanometer.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 07:14:41 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #3899 on: September 04, 2017, 07:19:29 pm »
Hmm..
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 07:33:45 pm by Vtile »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf