Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2801051 times)

wkb, jhenderson0107 and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #4450 on: November 02, 2017, 07:08:51 pm »
These arrived today, trimmers for my Goldstar CRO that decided that it needed a new trimmer for no reason at all so it dismantled the old one  :wtf:

The cable is for my Hameg CRO to replace some of the cables that have over the time broken terminations enough times to make the cables too short to reach. I was assured that the new cable was the the correct one and the same as the old one (the short piece) but its slightly narrower and also nowhere near as stiff so the conductor core is smaller and may not be gripped in the push fit sockets  :scared:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #4451 on: November 02, 2017, 07:15:08 pm »
Got my Fluke 325 today
http://rbastlerblog.jimdo.com/
Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4452 on: November 02, 2017, 07:22:44 pm »
That was a Fluke alright, they also sent you a 375 to keep it company  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Rbastler

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #4453 on: November 02, 2017, 07:31:50 pm »
I picked up this HP 5315A 100Mhz Universal Counter on eBay. It came in the original HP box with correct foam spacers, original delivery docket, manual still in shrink wrap, and manual updating changes (errata). It does not look it has ever been out of the box, it is mint.

Of course I took it apart.

It didn't get a single bid, I was originally too late, so I messaged the seller and he offered it to me for $100.

Wow, nice one! Congrats on the sweet score.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: Helix70

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4454 on: November 02, 2017, 10:08:25 pm »
I picked up this HP 5315A 100Mhz Universal Counter on eBay. It came in the original HP box with correct foam spacers, original delivery docket, manual still in shrink wrap, and manual updating changes (errata). It does not look it has ever been out of the box, it is mint.

It didn't get a single bid, I was originally too late, so I messaged the seller and he offered it to me for $100.
One of those great stories!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4455 on: November 02, 2017, 10:12:02 pm »
Container find: €200+ Evaluation Board from ST: STM3240G-EVAL  :o
http://uk.farnell.com/stmicroelectronics/stm3240g-eval/stm32-07-i2c-evaluation-board/dp/2062663
Looks like you found Dave's magical dumpster.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4456 on: November 02, 2017, 10:48:16 pm »
OMG.. Please please tell us a bit more about how you found it. Did you have a custom search?

By the way, I just turned your post into a PDF and its getting printed out when I am done with dinner so I can see that miracles do happen.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #4457 on: November 03, 2017, 06:52:20 am »
As my 40 year old big honkin’ heat gun has kicked the bucket, it’s time for a new one.
Since nowadays I need a heat gun mostly for shrinking and salvaging components and
not so much for paint removal, the latest addition to my tool kit is this brand spankin' new
Proxxon heat gun. Nice and handy especially with those nozzles. Had to keep the missus
from wanting to dry her hair with it…

Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #4458 on: November 03, 2017, 06:57:34 am »
OMG.. Please please tell us a bit more about how you found it. Did you have a custom search?

By the way, I just turned your post into a PDF and its getting printed out when I am done with dinner so I can see that miracles do happen.

Thanks, that gave me a laugh. I do have a custom search for HP/Agilent/Keysight. I am just surprised no one bid on this!

Got a couple of Bliley 5V sinewave OCXO's on the way to give it some stability and accuracy!

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #4459 on: November 03, 2017, 11:03:56 am »
A box of random junk components. Now all I have to do is sort through it...  :)

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4460 on: November 03, 2017, 12:04:56 pm »
Today is a public holiday here in Germany to commemorate protestant reformation initiated by Martin Luther 500 years ago.

Also a good opportunity to pimp my lab bench with a new antistatic mat:

It's a complete set. The mat is made of silicone that hopefully will lie totally flat on my bench.
That's something my current mat never did neither is it heat proof.  :--
It shows that with many solder marks burned deeply in its surface. 
Silicone antistatic mat? Where’d you find that? Can you share a link?

Sure:  ;)
It's a mat of an Italian company, ELME.
You can find it on their web page presented in different languages, e.g. auf deutsch or in english.
The description can be found there too, but for mats by roll auf deutsch or in english.

I ordered mine from TME Electronic Components.
They also provide a swiss version of their web site:)
Search for "157kit" on their web site and as the result you'll get the different ELME ESD mats they offer.
Vielen Dank, URI! I’ll take a look. The website just says they’re “rubber” without saying “silicone”, but I need another ESD mat anyway. (I have one now covering 1/3 of my desk/bench, but I’d like to expand the ESD-safe area.)

I’m also really interested in a cushioned ESD floor mat like their RLX-AST, but tme.eu doesn’t carry it. (The modern laminate floor in my apartment is taking damage from falling tools, parts, etc. so I really need floor protection, but I also want it cushioned, for foot comfort. It’s an adjustable desk, used standing more often than not.) I’ve asked the manufacturer if they can guide me to a distributor for it.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4461 on: November 03, 2017, 07:20:33 pm »
Silicone antistatic mat? Where’d you find that? Can you share a link?

Sure:  ;)
It's a mat of an Italian company, ELME.
You can find it on their web page presented in different languages, e.g. auf deutsch or in english.
The description can be found there too, but for mats by roll auf deutsch or in english.

I ordered mine from TME Electronic Components.
They also provide a swiss version of their web site:)
Search for "157kit" on their web site and as the result you'll get the different ELME ESD mats they offer.
Vielen Dank, URI! I’ll take a look. The website just says they’re “rubber” without saying “silicone”, but I need another ESD mat anyway.

The German description says "Synthesekautschuk", english: "Synthetic rubber". That's a term for a material class with many members including "Silikonkautschuk" (silicone rubber). Since ELME ESD mats are specified to withstand temperatures up to 440°C I don't think it's a synthetic rubber with characteristics like natural rubber but indeed something like silicone rubber.
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4462 on: November 03, 2017, 08:11:24 pm »
The German description says "Synthesekautschuk", english: "Synthetic rubber". That's a term for a material class with many members including "Silikonkautschuk" (silicone rubber). Since ELME ESD mats are specified to withstand temperatures up to 440°C I don't think it's a synthetic rubber with characteristics like natural rubber but indeed something like silicone rubber.
Thanks for the clarification. I’m curious as to what it is when you get yours. I’m reasonably sure that synthetic rubbers exist that handle high temperatures (they’re regularly used in automobile engines, for example), so since they don’t expressly say “silicone”, I’d be very surprised if that’s what it is. That said, regardless of material, 440C is better than my current mat, which goes to something under 300 I think.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4463 on: November 03, 2017, 08:32:58 pm »
FWIW, rubber ESD mats are made of nitrile rubber rather than silicone rubber *.

* Both nitrile and silicone can be made conductive by filling it with carbon, but you don't want a conductive surface for testing powered devices. And silicone on it's own isn't dissipative.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4464 on: November 04, 2017, 11:38:47 am »
FWIW, rubber ESD mats are made of nitrile rubber rather than silicone rubber *.

* Both nitrile and silicone can be made conductive by filling it with carbon, but you don't want a conductive surface for testing powered devices. And silicone on it's own isn't dissipative.

Hmmm. I'm not a chemist and I see your point, but as far as I wiki'ed that, nitrile rubber isn't 440°C heat proof. So it must be something else. I'm almost sure that it's PVC-free and that's what counts most for me because I suspect my old mat to be made of PVC or something related. In fact it isn't solder-proof and it stinks awfully chemically (nut burnt like rubber) when it gets hot (..solder iron..).
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline woody

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4465 on: November 04, 2017, 02:48:53 pm »
A couple of Chinese Kelvin test leads.

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #4466 on: November 04, 2017, 07:30:13 pm »

How easy do they go into your DMMs ? I got different ones and they go in and out really hard. Way to hard for what I'm comfortable with.
http://rbastlerblog.jimdo.com/
Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

Offline woody

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4467 on: November 04, 2017, 09:02:55 pm »
How easy do they go into your DMMs ? I got different ones and they go in and out really hard. Way to hard for what I'm comfortable with.

Same here. For some reason the 'HI' terminals went OK, while the 'LO' terminals gave me problems (both the front and the back connectors!). They refused to go all the way into the meter (34401A). AFAICS it did not hamper the measurement but I didn't like it all the same so I removed ~8mm from the black plastic tube on both black connectors. That resolved the issue; they now go in both easy and all the way.

There is a reason that they were under 13 euros including shipping, they do their part, I do mine :-)

I found that the genuine, €30+ Keysight leads that I got for this meter the other week also do not go in very easy; I have to hold the instrument while plugging them in. Maybe my meter was never used with leads  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Rbastler

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #4468 on: November 04, 2017, 11:38:33 pm »
This is not a buy but an early Christmas stocking stuffer from a fellow EEVBlogger.  I won't name the blogger, they can do that if so inclined.  I have a couple pair of Vetus tweezers that were the nicest I have and some crappy Harbor Freight tweezers that I will be happy to get rid of.  These are of Duratool manufacture and very nice.  I actually grabbed and removed a single arm hair with the curved tweezers, something I simply can't do with the crappy ones I just tossed.  Once again, I want the blogger to know that I appreciate the gift very much and am grateful for the kindness that came my way.  I am usually the one giving.  It is nice to be on the receiving end once in a while.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: nanofrog, SeanB

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4469 on: November 05, 2017, 01:36:02 am »
I suspected you'd appreciate them.  :-+

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4470 on: November 05, 2017, 01:02:59 pm »
I recently bought some kelvin clips also and although they have gold plated banana plugs, the plugs swivel which seems to defeat the purpose of using banana plugs- large amount of self-wiping surface area for contact. I am thinking I should perhaps solder them so they can't swivel?

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4471 on: November 05, 2017, 02:19:59 pm »
Paid 50p at the Kempton Park radio rally...  Now I have to find a use for it.

The rotator seems to have three wires...  Any clues?

(I wonder if the hand is radioactive?)  Seems to be Bakerlite or similar.

I'm thinking the A,B,C wires are windings around a common rotor... each 120 degrees apart.... so I need to generate three voltages to make it point in some direction...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 02:35:19 pm by NivagSwerdna »

Offline Mashpriborintorg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4472 on: November 05, 2017, 02:49:43 pm »
It is a regular synchro receiver, google it, you will find information to make it work. Digits on the dial might be radiactive, yes, you will  need some geiger or dosimeter to check.

The following users thanked this post: NivagSwerdna

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4473 on: November 05, 2017, 02:54:56 pm »
Red yellow and blue connect to the indicator, and you apply 24VAC ( probably 50Hz, though this could also be a 100Hz or 400 Hz indicator, limit the current and start with 6VAC as test and a 100R series resistor) to the black wires, and as you rotate the centre it will move the pointer on the indicator to follow it. Simple resolver remote indicator there, the Ac is exciting a coil in the head and the 3 coils are transmitting a 3 phace voltage with a magnitude and amplitude for the indicator that follows the phase of the excitation coil.

Show pics of the back of the indicator, and any manufacturers plate there, that is a really old Smiths instrument, probably made around 1964.

The following users thanked this post: NivagSwerdna

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4474 on: November 05, 2017, 10:47:25 pm »
My 3kva variac came in the other day.  I posted about this already, but here's an actual pic of it:

I want to start playing with mains powered PSU design so figured this is a good way to rev the voltage up slowly during testing phase, and overall just to give me a source of variable AC or DC (if I rectify it) power.

I also recently ordered a 1500kva 120v to 480v transformer to go with it.  I did not need 480v and that's getting into seriously dangerous territory if I'm not careful with that thing, but I wanted it for the isolation.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf