Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2801038 times)

wkb, jhenderson0107 and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #6275 on: May 04, 2018, 05:18:11 pm »
schlepping in?   ;D  :-+

And another word which finds it's way from German into English.  ^-^
The word has a Yiddish background. The American lingo is full of those.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6276 on: May 04, 2018, 06:18:59 pm »
There's a version of the ubiquitous German halftrack of WW2 called the LWS, or Lichtes Wehrmacht Schlepper. I think that was mainly used for schlepping.  :D

My 2465B was really clean. the only potential issue I could see were some green pins on the SMD electros on A5 and (of course) the Rifas on A2 have evidence of crazing. Goddam crazy Rifa, all rolled and ready to smoke. Despite the likelihood of sending smoke signals across Snowdonia I think I will fire her up.

Offline Seph.b

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6277 on: May 04, 2018, 06:24:53 pm »

This got delivered today.

Got my copy today!

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #6278 on: May 04, 2018, 07:43:43 pm »
Ha, mine arrived today too :)
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #6279 on: May 04, 2018, 10:45:37 pm »
Scored this bad boy on fleabay today for $240 + ~$10 gas money to pick it up.

Also while the screen is bright enough there seems to be an issue with the driver leaking current into some segments, you can see random dots and 4w symbol appear in the photo when they shouldn't. Mine is I think the old version with 34401-66502 front panel.
Anyone knows where I can get a replacement? If only new version of front panel is obtainable, are there instructions on how to update firmware (if that is even an option)?

Yeah, I've seen those dots before and it's the driver. You'll need the same version as a replacement, either from a donor DMM of the same vintage or a replacement panel/driver chip. Upgrading just the firmware in order to use a newer front panel/IC isn't possible that I'm aware of.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: qu1ck

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6280 on: May 04, 2018, 10:46:34 pm »
2x 10k Log Pot's, 2x 10k Reverse Log Pot's and a knob

Random story.

I accidentally installed a log pot backwards in a headphone amp.  In the next revision I put it the right way around.

You know I think I prefered it reversed.  It meant it got loud quickly and gave you much finer grain control over how "too loud" it got :)
I totally approve of this, but make sure to re-calibrate the dial with an 11 max. because 10 is not enough.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #6281 on: May 05, 2018, 01:30:48 am »
There's a version of the ubiquitous German halftrack of WW2 called the LWS, or Lichtes Wehrmacht Schlepper. I think that was mainly used for schlepping.  :D

You mean something like this?  You can schlep a lot of sch!t in one. :-DD

« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 01:32:27 am by GreyWoolfe »
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6282 on: May 05, 2018, 01:42:35 am »
Yup! My effing memory is hopeless!  :-DD Lichtes/schwere.... there was a little schlepper, the Lorraine, that's it!  :palm:

Offline qu1ck

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6283 on: May 05, 2018, 07:29:34 am »
Yeah, I've seen those dots before and it's the driver. You'll need the same version as a replacement, either from a donor DMM of the same vintage or a replacement panel/driver chip. Upgrading just the firmware in order to use a newer front panel/IC isn't possible that I'm aware of.

Yeah I already opened it up and looked at signals on the VFD, it's the driver. I started a repair thread and listed some options. Your input is welcome :)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/hp-34401a-dmm-with-leaking-segments/
Nothing is true (as far as measurements go)
and everything is permitted (as long as you are ok with magic smoke escaping)

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #6284 on: May 05, 2018, 07:34:47 am »
and (of course) the Rifas on A2 have evidence of crazing. Goddam crazy Rifa, all rolled and ready to smoke. Despite the likelihood of sending smoke signals across Snowdonia I think I will fire her up.

Oh, how sorry you will be, if they do their thing.

A recent purchase from Jaycar: Deoxit. Now in a little anti-spill base I cut from sheet polyethylene foam.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #6285 on: May 05, 2018, 08:47:21 am »
Yup! My effing memory is hopeless!  :-DD Lichtes/schwere.... there was a little schlepper, the Lorraine, that's it!  :palm:

There was a "light" version also, but it would be: Leichter Wehrmachtschlepper.

German has variations on the word light (might want to call it nuances ;) ).

«leicht» meaning light as in not heavy (-> a light meal)
«licht» meaning light as in not dense (-> light hair growth)
«Licht» meaning light as in illumination (-> light bulb)

On the etymology of «Schlepper»

The oldest source I could find on short notice tells me that "sleppa" is an old Norse word for honing / sanding. In the 12th/13th century (maybe earlier) «schleppen» carried over to the German linguistic usage for the act of sanding sth. (what later evolved into «schleifen») and the act of towing something heavy, thus "sanding the floor".
One of the first nouns utilizing the new term was «Schleppe» -> chapel train, that long cloth/rag on a brides dress.
So «Schlepper» means "the one doing the «Schlepperei»". :D

That concludes my captain smarty-pants post of the day.
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

The following users thanked this post: GerryBags

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6286 on: May 05, 2018, 09:03:07 am »
The oldest source I could find on short notice tells me that "sleppa" is an old Norse word for honing / sanding. In the 12th/13th century (maybe earlier) «schleppen» carried over to the German linguistic usage for the act of sanding sth. (what later evolved into «schleifen») and the act of towing something heavy, thus "sanding the floor".

Interesting how the word attached to a sanding method that fell out of use while the word didn't. The British Navy sanded the wooden decks of their ships with big blocks of stone called bears right into the 19th Century, though they had such heavy crews that they didn't need to tow it along the decks, which is how I'm guessing it got to be applied to towing something heavy. They had the sailors push smaller ones back and forth instead, I think (they didn't think many of the little details that I find so interesting worth writing down).

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6287 on: May 05, 2018, 09:08:51 am »
2x 10k Log Pot's, 2x 10k Reverse Log Pot's and a knob

Random story.

I accidentally installed a log pot backwards in a headphone amp.  In the next revision I put it the right way around.

You know I think I prefered it reversed.  It meant it got loud quickly and gave you much finer grain control over how "too loud" it got :)
I totally approve of this, but make sure to re-calibrate the dial with an 11 max. because 10 is not enough.

in my case they are bass and treble controls, unforunatly i purchase the spline type instead of the D type, the knobs are 5 times the cost of the pot's so i will reorder them with some other bits on tuesday (bank holiday monday in the uk)

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #6288 on: May 05, 2018, 01:13:50 pm »

Interesting how the word attached to a sanding method that fell out of use while the word didn't. The British Navy sanded the wooden decks of their ships with big blocks of stone called bears right into the 19th Century, though they had such heavy crews that they didn't need to tow it along the decks, which is how I'm guessing it got to be applied to towing something heavy. They had the sailors push smaller ones back and forth instead, I think (they didn't think many of the little details that I find so interesting worth writing down).

Interesting, that similar metaphors seem to have carried over in different languages: Bearing bad news - «Etwas belastendes mitschleppen».
Homology, analogy or convergence? Interesting nonetheless :)
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #6289 on: May 05, 2018, 03:22:40 pm »
 :-DD :-DD  This has got to be the longest discussion I've ever unintentionally started here.

That being said, here are some better pics of the gear now that I've schlepped it into the house.  There are several duplicates, in all but one case the second unit is a parts mule and not complete.  The counter side of both of the HP 8443A counter/tracking generators seem to be at least functional, though one is much more accurate.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6290 on: May 05, 2018, 04:04:31 pm »
Nice haul, well done :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Russia silver mica SSG-3 capacitor
« Reply #6291 on: May 05, 2018, 05:19:27 pm »
Russian silver mica capacitor SSG-3 series, 200nF 0.3% 350V.

Shot with a Cornel Dubilier thru hole silver mica cap and TO-220 as reference size.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 11:58:21 am by BravoV »

Online Johnny10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6292 on: May 05, 2018, 09:22:18 pm »
Nice haul Cubdriver!

Now those are some items I would Schlepp home !
Tektronix TDS7104, DMM4050, HP 3561A, HP 35665, Tek 2465A, HP8903B, DSA602A, Tek 7854, 7834, HP3457A, Tek 575, 576, 577 Curve Tracers, Datron 4000, Datron 4000A, DOS4EVER uTracer, HP5335A, EIP534B 20GHz Frequency Counter, TrueTime Rubidium, Sencore LC102, Tek TG506, TG501, SG503, HP 8568B

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #6293 on: May 05, 2018, 09:29:17 pm »

There was a "light" version also, but it would be: Leichter Wehrmachtschlepper.

German has variations on the word light (might want to call it nuances ;) ).

«leicht» meaning light as in not heavy (-> a light meal)
«licht» meaning light as in not dense (-> light hair growth)
«Licht» meaning light as in illumination (-> light bulb)

On the etymology of «Schlepper»

One of the first nouns utilizing the new term was «Schleppe» -> chapel train, that long cloth/rag on a brides dress.
So «Schlepper» means "the one doing the «Schlepperei»". :D

That concludes my captain smarty-pants post of the day.

AWESOME!!  :-+ :-+ ;D
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6294 on: May 06, 2018, 07:07:35 am »
A solid state drive, with a twist.

"Delivery Exception, Animal Interference" :wtf:

I don't have a dog, a cat, or any pets.

The only thing I can see occasionally on my door porch are small lizards, small spiders and common wasps.
A convenient way of skipping deliveries here and there in order to maintain their unrealistic statistical requirements?  :-//

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #6295 on: May 06, 2018, 09:38:18 am »
The only thing I can see occasionally on my door porch are small lizards, small spiders and common wasps.
Maybe the delivery guy had an allergy?
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6296 on: May 06, 2018, 11:18:54 am »
Maybe the delivery guy had an allergy?
Hint: high risk exposure job = carry an epinephrine autoinjector then.  :o  >:D

Offline Canis Dirus Leidy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6297 on: May 06, 2018, 09:39:46 pm »
One and a half Chinese FPGA devboards (left - "main" board with EP4CE10/SDRAM daughter board, right - EP4CE22/SDRAM daugher board):

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #6298 on: May 06, 2018, 10:06:27 pm »
One and a half Chinese FPGA devboards (left - "main" board with EP4CE10/SDRAM daughter board, right - EP4CE22/SDRAM daugher board):

From Aliexpress, right?

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #6299 on: May 06, 2018, 10:18:09 pm »
National Instruments USB-GPIB adapter for a great deal at a ham swap this morning.

Was a good event, chatted with Paul from Mr Carlson's lab and met Dave from "12voltvids" on youtube.

Also spotted a guy wearing Dave's "I only give negative feedback" t-shirt - I should have introduced myself, sorry.
VE7FM

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf