Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2306860 times)

Offline gore

• Regular Contributor
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #1150 on: April 21, 2015, 08:39:06 pm »
Indeed. I might have to move the big book on a desk behind. Windows come in handy while working at nights. There's a good view of the sky when it's a clear night for some extra inspiration.

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1151 on: April 22, 2015, 05:45:37 am »
@gore: I think you will be annoyed when you have your bench loaded with a project and then want to open one of those small component trays on a lower tier and find what you have in front interferes. Maybe put the component storage box higher, mounted on the wall or on shelves.

Offline gore

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1152 on: April 22, 2015, 09:37:26 am »
@chickenHeadKnob

Good point. Building a bench platform seems like a good idea for elevating the trays. Plenty of room above. I left one outlet way up in case there's a need to add a wall mounted display.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1153 on: April 22, 2015, 11:03:59 am »
Yes, shelving looks like it would be useful to maximise desk space.

Also regarding the scope, I think I'd either operate it upright on the floor (sounds bad but it's much more ergonomic than you might think) or get a lower profile unit and put it on a shelf, it's taking up an awful lot of desk area.

But yes, a massive transformation.

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1154 on: April 22, 2015, 11:15:36 am »
Also regarding the scope, I think I'd either operate it upright on the floor

I'd also try and find some space to put a netbook when a computer is needed, which could be a lot more often than you expect.
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline lapm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1155 on: April 22, 2015, 12:25:26 pm »

I'd also try and find some space to put a netbook when a computer is needed, which could be a lot more often than you expect.

Ain't this the truth... Datasheets and schematics... Personally i have monitor (flat lcd) and small mouse and small keyboard on work desk. Easy to put aside if i need more space, often i dont... Computer itself is located in floor, next to desk...

« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 12:33:23 pm by lapm »
Electronics, Linux, Programming, Science... im interested all of it...

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1156 on: April 22, 2015, 12:53:01 pm »

Flat screen monitor plus an under-desk sliding keyboard and mouse, assuming it can be fitted to your desk. That's been my setup for a number of years now.

Offline gore

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1157 on: April 22, 2015, 03:25:58 pm »
To me, a computer is an essential piece of equipment at the bench. Right now I'm using a small tablet for viewing schematics and datasheets, but it's clumsy business, so a proper laptop or a stationary computer is required. I've seen many cases of laptops being held by an arm type holder in this thread. That's some beautiful stuff.  ^-^ Worth getting one for sure. Placing a keyboard/mouse under the desk is a simple task. The scope's massive. Perhaps I should bring in a small profile digital scope on this bench, but on the other hand, you can use the scope itself as a desk, which is what I'm doing. Placing it on the floor would make it inconvenient for making quick adjustments on the scope.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 03:28:08 pm by gore »

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #1158 on: April 22, 2015, 03:36:26 pm »
To me, a computer is an essential piece of equipment at the bench. Right now I'm using a small tablet for viewing schematics and datasheets, but it's clumsy business, so a proper laptop or a stationary computer is required. I've seen many cases of laptops being held by an arm type holder in this thread. That's some beautiful stuff.

I got one of these that holds two monitors off the desktop. They are GREAT!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-LCD-Monitor-Desk-Mount-Stand-Fully-Adjustable-Tilt-for-1-Screen-upto-27-/171297260958?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e21cc59e

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline RoboTechEd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1159 on: April 22, 2015, 03:39:51 pm »
To me, a computer is an essential piece of equipment at the bench. Right now I'm using a small tablet for viewing schematics and datasheets, but it's clumsy business, so a proper laptop or a stationary computer is required. I've seen many cases of laptops being held by an arm type holder in this thread. That's some beautiful stuff.  ^-^ Worth getting one for sure. Placing a keyboard/mouse under the desk is a simple task. The scope's massive. Perhaps I should bring in a small profile digital scope on this bench, but on the other hand, you can use the scope itself as a desk, which is what I'm doing. Placing it on the floor would make it inconvenient for making quick adjustments on the scope.

You could mount a tablet to the wall pretty easily (with velcro etc) and plug in a keyboard/mouse for it to do most quick google searches etc. It would be easy to take down when needed too, and could have datasheets up constantly in a non-intrusive way. Could also mimic a local PC screen pretty easily (RDP etc) if you needed to check something

Those are gerat! And pretty cheap on Amazon

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #1160 on: April 22, 2015, 07:08:49 pm »
To me, a computer is an essential piece of equipment at the bench. Right now I'm using a small tablet for viewing schematics and datasheets, but it's clumsy business, so a proper laptop or a stationary computer is required. I've seen many cases of laptops being held by an arm type holder in this thread. That's some beautiful stuff.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-LCD-Monitor-Desk-Mount-Stand-Fully-Adjustable-Tilt-for-1-Screen-upto-27-/171297260958?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e21cc59e

I have one similar on my workbench.  I use a KVM switch for my company test computer and my personal laptop docking station.  Under desk keyboard/mouse tray completes it.  Now I need a freestanding dual monitor stand for my ham radio desk.  I need something that is more adjustable than my DIY solution.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1161 on: April 22, 2015, 07:43:15 pm »
my messy bench, actually it became a place to stack up stuff. In the process of sorting/organizing.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline wiss

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1162 on: April 23, 2015, 12:55:21 pm »
my messy bench, actually it became a place to stack up stuff. In the process of sorting/organizing.

Working on a 7075 I see  :-/O

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1163 on: April 23, 2015, 04:14:32 pm »
You must be working on a 7075,I wanted one.
My 7065 Vref has drifted out of range or( something else is wrong) the closest I can get it to 10V is 100ppm out :(.
shame really, I learned about 6.5 digit meters from it, and acquired more gear to fix it :) wallet says :( .

Offline wiss

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1164 on: April 23, 2015, 08:44:38 pm »
You must be working on a 7075,I wanted one.
My 7065 Vref has drifted out of range or( something else is wrong) the closest I can get it to 10V is 100ppm out :(.
shame really, I learned about 6.5 digit meters from it, and acquired more gear to fix it :) wallet says :( .

You can not fix this with Links A to J in the reference? Diagram 2.4, Page 4.2.11 in my version of the manual.

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1165 on: April 23, 2015, 10:20:57 pm »
Correct(), I will have another go at it over the summer. When I got it no links were soldered(not good).
I did manage to fix the 120pa of bias current though. Cleaning didn't help much, but accidently breaking a wire/ resoldering it did.

Offline LektroiD

• Frequent Contributor
  • If it didn't explode, I'm happy.
    • Music here
« Reply #1166 on: April 24, 2015, 04:28:18 pm »
All my analogue scopes and meters are now in the attic. Just replaced the ESD matting, moved the workbench into the corner of the room and here is the result...

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #1167 on: April 24, 2015, 05:22:09 pm »
Tannoy Coaxial's - don't see those everyday. I used to have a pair of SL-1700MK's for all that vinyl too.

Where do you keep all your parts? Looks like you have a panelized PCB that would need a bunch of parts.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline LektroiD

• Frequent Contributor
    • Music here
« Reply #1168 on: April 24, 2015, 05:38:01 pm »
Tannoy Coaxial's - don't see those everyday. I used to have a pair of SL-1700MK's for all that vinyl too.

Where do you keep all your parts? Looks like you have a panelized PCB that would need a bunch of parts.

Indeed, I have plenty parts stocked up... That's a vocoder PCB on the bench... The resistors (TH & SMD) are to the right of the vinyl, then on the other side of the room is where the mess is (I'm still in the pocess of tidying)... There's also a couple of cabinets full of components & tools under the workbench.

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1169 on: April 24, 2015, 07:22:53 pm »
All my analogue scopes and meters are now in the attic. Just replaced the ESD matting, moved the workbench into the corner of the room and here is the result...

What do you use the big Tannoy speaker for? Is it a continuity checker for the hard of hearing? :)

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 07:25:33 pm by G0HZU »

Offline LektroiD

• Frequent Contributor
    • Music here
« Reply #1170 on: April 24, 2015, 07:59:49 pm »

What do you use the big Tannoy speaker for? Is it a continuity checker for the hard of hearing? :)

I have them mic'd up to the whistle on my kettle...  :o

Offline danny_isr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1171 on: April 25, 2015, 02:27:23 am »
my new setup, just installed new Led lights below the shelf.

Still missing equipment, but it's getting there  :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 02:39:35 am by danny_isr »

Offline smjcuk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1172 on: April 25, 2015, 09:09:08 am »
Are those Ikea "stick" lamps any good? Also what voltage to they run on?

I was in Ikea yesterday and couldn't decide if I should get a couple as work lamps.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1173 on: April 25, 2015, 11:21:42 am »
Are those Ikea "stick" lamps any good? Also what voltage to they run on?

I was in Ikea yesterday and couldn't decide if I should get a couple as work lamps.
If you are referring to the Jansjö, then it's quite popular on the forum - do a search to see some opinions.

There are USB and mains powered versions - the mains models use a 4V 3W adapter.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1174 on: April 25, 2015, 01:46:18 pm »
Busy with something else, so as I had the camera out and was busy.......

Even had a visitor to the grapefruit tree outside, looking for some crunchy lunch for himself.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf