Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3451199 times)

jellytot and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline flixHr

Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #4150 on: October 28, 2017, 05:01:22 pm »
Hi,
I have a problem with my tester and and did not find any hints in this forum so far. I managed to reflash the microcontroller no problem. But the device turns itself off very quickly after each test. So quickly even that it is quite hard to read the result :(. I tried to edit the POWER_OFF option in the makefile and even tried to change the LONG_WAIT in the config.h file but nothing changed anything. Has anybody any idea what count be the cause for this? Am I overlooking something stupid?

Offline bianchifan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4151 on: October 28, 2017, 06:05:43 pm »

I have a problem with my tester ...
1st.. plz tell something more, the are hundreds of variations all around, nobody knows what's your's..
2nd.. IIRC one or two y ago such a prob was discussed in thn german HOME forum, plz have a closer look at mikrocontroller.net (AVR Transistortester or similar), Karl-Heinz has a lot of experience with thousands of faults, feel free to ask ;)

Offline bianchifan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4152 on: October 28, 2017, 06:20:19 pm »
AY-AT colour kit is the best ...
I cannot consent at this very moment..
Some weeks ago I ordered such a kit from aliexpress, ok, the cheapest i could find, ~ 9$  :-DD
I recieved a bunch of fuckin' crap!
I ordered for two reasons, I heared from several people about many problems making this kit run so I wanted to try for myself and I liked to get a tester for checking out the "M" firmware.
The PCB is damaged (looks like rejecting stuff), the MCU is programmed with something whatever but a running FW..

There maybe sellers with kits ok of course, but not all.

Offline flixHr

« Reply #4153 on: October 29, 2017, 12:27:31 am »
1st.. plz tell something more...

I must admit, that was not quite the information needed.
My unit was sold as LCR-T4 and has the ST7565 display controller and an atmega328p micro controller.
I flashed the newest revision of mega328_T3_T4_st7565, mega328_st7565 and mega328_st7565_kit but always got the same problem. The tester shuts itself off immediately after the test is complete.
I made my own firmware by changing the POWER_OFF option in the makefile and changing LONG_WAIT_TIME and MIDDLE_WAIT_TIME in config.h.
I even got the same behavior when flashing 1.30m.

So has anybody seen this strange behavior before or has any hints into what direction to look?
Any help is much apreciated  :)

Offline nakcho

• Contributor
« Reply #4154 on: October 29, 2017, 03:05:38 am »
AY-AT colour kit is the best if you want to be able to expand it or upgrade the firmware in the future.
if your just looking to use it then there is a cased unit that also tests zeners with an internal lithium battery - i think called T7?
good morning to all who participate in this forum ... I am entering the subject and trying to understand a little this operation ... I am not an expert .. I am a student ... I like the idea of ??this tester .. I wanted to know if there is any possibility that they tell me how I can install the ST7735R display or how it would be the configuration in proteus of this display ... because I see many connectors I can not make it work .. .. someone to help me please

Online madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #4155 on: October 29, 2017, 11:13:44 am »
I flashed the newest revision of mega328_T3_T4_st7565, mega328_st7565 and mega328_st7565_kit but always got the same problem. The tester shuts itself off immediately after the test is complete.
I made my own firmware by changing the POWER_OFF option in the makefile and changing LONG_WAIT_TIME and MIDDLE_WAIT_TIME in config.h.
I even got the same behavior when flashing 1.30m.

Does the tester power up and display the battery voltage?

Online madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4156 on: October 29, 2017, 11:19:21 am »
good morning to all who participate in this forum ... I am entering the subject and trying to understand a little this operation ... I am not an expert .. I am a student ... I like the idea of ??this tester .. I wanted to know if there is any possibility that they tell me how I can install the ST7735R display or how it would be the configuration in proteus of this display ... because I see many connectors I can not make it work .. .. someone to help me please

Please see the schematic for the AY-AT kit. You can find several copies in this thread.

Offline flixHr

« Reply #4157 on: October 29, 2017, 12:42:06 pm »
Does the tester power up and display the battery voltage?
Yes the tester powers up normally and performs the test. It is quite slow to start the test but i don't know if that is normal.
But after the test the device powers off immediately.

Online madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4158 on: October 29, 2017, 04:18:43 pm »
Could you please post the fuse settings?

Offline flixHr

« Reply #4159 on: October 30, 2017, 08:51:12 pm »
Hi,
After some poking around and measuring all the MCU pins I finally fount the cause for my wired behavior. The Problem was a bad transistor constantly pulling PD7 to ground. I did not notice this before as the tester did turn on regardless of the broken transistor because the unit would power on through the PNP transistor at the input and would turn off through the second working NPN transistor. So i replaced the burned transistor and everything works again.
Thanks for your reply anyway!!

Offline nakcho

• Contributor
« Reply #4160 on: November 02, 2017, 12:12:39 pm »

Please see the schematic for the AY-AT kit. You can find several copies in this thread.
HELLO ... I APPRECIATE THE INSISTENCE BUT I DO NOT HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH DISPLAY AND I DO NOT FIND THE WAY TO CONNECT IT TO THE ONE I LEFT IN THE CAPTURE ... YOU ONLY GIVE ME A HAND IN THAT PLEASE .. I HAVE DOWNLOADED A PDF WITH THE DISPLAY CONNECTION MODES BUT THAT BUT DISPLAY ST7735R NOT FIGURE ... THIS IS THE VERSION WITHOUT THE FINAL R THAT NOSE IF IT WILL BE THE SAME ... YOU GIVE ME A HAND WITH THE CONNECTION PLEASE

Offline Willem52

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4161 on: November 02, 2017, 02:10:09 pm »
@nakcho,
Yelling is not what you should do on a forum like this (Using only capitals).
Also it might be a lot more readable if you are using normal lines of text.
Perhaps you have then more chance to be helped by someone.

Online madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4162 on: November 02, 2017, 05:05:07 pm »
No need to shout! >:( You need to use the SPI mode (4-wire serial mode) and have to add a level shifter, since the controller runs with 3.3V. If you're lucky, your LCD module might already have a 3.3V LDO and a level shifter on board. My ST7735 modules only got the 3.3V LDO. Jake (jakeisprobably) posted a link to his AY-AT schematic (too large for uploading here in the forum) which depicts the level shifter and all you need to know.

Offline myattorneyusa

« Reply #4163 on: November 03, 2017, 01:54:27 am »
Could anyone post .eep, .hex file for AY-AT, please? Firmware M v1.30m or v1.3k + English + VEXT + Check Rotary Encoder + PWM Plus + Zener 
I have hard time compiling it from source. Thanks

Offline nakcho

• Contributor
« Reply #4164 on: November 03, 2017, 02:29:35 am »
No need to shout! >:( You need to use the SPI mode (4-wire serial mode) and have to add a level shifter, since the controller runs with 3.3V. If you're lucky, your LCD module might already have a 3.3V LDO and a level shifter on board. My ST7735 modules only got the 3.3V LDO. Jake (jakeisprobably) posted a link to his AY-AT schematic (too large for uploading here in the forum) which depicts the level shifter and all you need to know.
I apologize ... the truth does not tell me about the capital ... I was very focused on this project ... so I focused only on what I needed help ... a thousand apologies ... very good forum

Online madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4165 on: November 03, 2017, 12:34:44 pm »
I'm working on the 180° rotated output for PCD8544 based LCD modules at the moment. Someone asked for that feature a while ago. Are there any suggestions for other LCD modules to support?

Offline marklein

« Reply #4166 on: November 05, 2017, 05:17:03 pm »
I have a pre-assembled AY-AT unit and it worked great for a month or two... now it won't power on.  :'( Right in the middle fixing a television too!  |O Now that it's gone I realize how much I used it. I don't want to wait another month for a Chinese replacement and I'm not sure that the ones on Amazon US have the latest firmware installed (anyone know?).

I was testing a capacitor at the time and I wonder if maybe the cap was charged and that caused the failure(?), but it wasn't a very big cap which is why I didn't think to discharge it so I don't know.

Anyway, are there any known issues or obvious things I can check? Thanks folks.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4167 on: November 05, 2017, 06:57:56 pm »
check the transistors and 5v regulator.

Offline upsss

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4168 on: November 06, 2017, 04:41:12 pm »
I was testing a capacitor at the time and I wonder if maybe the cap was charged and that caused the failure(?), but it wasn't a very big cap which is why I didn't think to discharge it so I don't know.

It is NOT the SIZE of a charged capacitor that will damage your tester but the VOLTAGE that the capacitor is charged to.

Offline progrock

• Contributor
« Reply #4169 on: November 07, 2017, 02:03:56 pm »
OK, so I randomly ran into one of these testers today on aliexpress... and then totally randomly landed on this forum and saw this thread (I honestly don't even remember why I came to the forum in the first place, but wasn't for this).

So, it looks like i was lucky I didn't click order yet, I was about to buy a pre-assembled AY-AT clone... but if I'm understanding things correctly, I probably want to buy the DIY assembly kit, and upgrade a few parts.  Either that, or is it recommended to go and print your own PCBs from the official tarball? (When I followed the most recent link I could find to this tarball, it did not allow me to download, there seemed to be some kind of server error.

My current plan is to order one of these kits: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-DIY-kits-ATMEAG328-M328-Transistor-Tester-LCR-Diode-Capacitance-ESR-meter-PWM-Square-wave-Frequency/32815242766.html

Then, instead of using all the parts the kit comes with, replace some of them with the parts listed here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/msg1284997/#msg1286025

Is that pretty much the "correct" route to go?... or did I miss something.

Offline Per Hansson

• Supporter
« Reply #4170 on: November 07, 2017, 04:21:33 pm »
Yes that is good, nice first post :)
I would make one change: I'd get a 16Mhz crystal too.
That way you can choose either the M firmware or K firmware.
See the following post:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/msg1286135/#msg1286135

Also you should have a 100nF > 1000nF film capacitor when calibrating the unit.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 04:25:41 pm by Per Hansson »

Offline progrock

• Contributor
« Reply #4171 on: November 08, 2017, 01:47:34 pm »
OK, awesome.. thank you for confirming (and seriously confused at how the hell I got to this thread in the first place yesterday... really strange, especially since I had the rebuilt one in my cart, and was gonna pay a few hours before, but got side tracked).  Of course, as usual, now my cart has been expanding.... was also about to build a simple/cheap DIY bench power supply, then saw one of the recent blog videos, and now I have a RD DPH3205 and a DPS5015, lol...

From the skimming I did yesterday, seemed like the M firmware was a solid/popular choice (though I did not look into/compare the K firmware yet)... but thanks for the recommendation... should be easy enough to find one on aliexpress... but does anyone have a specific 16Mhz crystal they would recommend?

**EDIT: Or is aliexpress not the best place for something like that... of course I just got an order from arrow today... guessing they would make more sense... but still open to suggestions if theres a specific on recommended
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 02:08:39 pm by progrock »

Offline upsss

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4172 on: November 08, 2017, 04:48:17 pm »
AliExpress is fine, that is where I got my kit including the 16MHz crystal.

Offline Willem52

• Regular Contributor

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4174 on: November 08, 2017, 08:51:03 pm »
I bought 100 16 MHz xtals off of Ebay for $5 shipped from China.  Figured they would be crap, but were surprisingly good.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf