Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3452166 times)

carrascoso and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #4175 on: November 08, 2017, 11:21:29 pm »
that sounds very cheap till you realise you dont actually need the other 99!!  :-DD

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4176 on: November 08, 2017, 11:52:24 pm »
that sounds very cheap till you realise you dont actually need the other 99!!  :-DD

I've used over half of them.   I once spent a day doing tests on each one to find a "really good" one.  Total waste of time... they were all  surprisingly good and practically identical in what I was testing for. 

Decent crystals for 5 cents a whack... no way!  Next thing you will tell me is I can get rather nice GPS modules with an antenna for $7 a pop... oops, been there, done that.

Offline progrock

• Contributor
« Reply #4177 on: November 09, 2017, 05:58:41 pm »
Thanks for the links... but I bough all the parts needed to upgrade the aliexpress model to the "improved" version off arrow.com today... the Crystal was under 50 cents anyway... and everything is coming with free overnight shipping (not to mention arrow is insane with their packaging, so each part will be in it's own separate static bag, nicely labeled, etc).  Bought enough to build 2 of these, plus a few spare parts just in case.  Of course I still have to wait for the board(s) to get shipped from China... but oh well.

Sadly, I need to test a handful of MOSFETs on an arduino based spot welder I have that is failing... seems like this board would be perfect for that... but I believe its not too hard to accomplish with my fluke multimeter... just a few step process for each mosfet if I'm not mistaken.  But definitely glad to find this device to make things a little easier in the future.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4178 on: November 09, 2017, 07:02:33 pm »
something i noticed with intermittent or slightly questionable mosfets is you often find the reverse-diode has vanished / failed open-circuit.

Offline progrock

• Contributor
« Reply #4179 on: November 10, 2017, 12:25:45 am »
I'll have to check that out... I know they are pretty good mosfets (well, tried and true at least)... legit (not a chinese copy) IRF1404.  Just gotta desolder a couple of layers of PCBs to get to them, and figure out the correct way to test with my Fluke 15B+... never tested any FETs with it before (actually, last time I tested a FET was nearly 10 years ago in a college electronics lab... and I've done my best to forget pretty much everything I learned at school, all I have is a piece of paper saying I have a CoE degree at this point)... it appears to have the mode I need to test, tho it's one of only 2 modes that don't have a direct mode (as in you spin the dial to select Ohms, then it appears to have 2 optional modes from there, one being what I believe is the mode needed to test a mosfet).

Def glad I'll have one of these guys next time I need to do this (hopefully).

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
$20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #4180 on: November 10, 2017, 07:38:47 am »
something i noticed with intermittent or slightly questionable mosfets is you often find the reverse-diode has vanished / failed open-circuit.
For a real mosfet the diode dies first generating a short. Anyway good practice is putting external diode for power applications like inverters where the returning energy anyway is not "eated" by the internal diode.

Envoyé de mon HUAWEI NXT-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 07:21:56 pm by perieanuo »

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4181 on: November 10, 2017, 03:09:21 pm »
well i noticed the problem when repairing low current backlight invertors in lcd tv's & monitors.

often when a fet shorts, you find the diodes are failing or gone in the remaining parts - so i used to change them as a set.

Offline progrock

• Contributor
« Reply #4182 on: November 10, 2017, 07:44:31 pm »
Thanks, great advice, and may have saved me from another headache.

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4183 on: November 11, 2017, 07:40:06 am »
well i noticed the problem when repairing low current backlight invertors in lcd tv's & monitors.

often when a fet shorts, you find the diodes are failing or gone in the remaining parts - so i used to change them as a set.
Never noticed thanks for pointing out!

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #4184 on: November 11, 2017, 06:34:23 pm »
I've started to write drivers for ILI9163 (SPI) and SSD1306 (SPI & I2C), and ordered a few displays. Hopefully the ILI9163s are not ST7735s, since they are quite similar. Many display descriptions are unclear about what you get.

Offline marklein

« Reply #4185 on: November 15, 2017, 03:22:44 am »
Are all the various AY-AT boards interchangeable, or are there layout/circuit/values differences? In other words could I take the ATMega from one board and swap it with the ATMega a different board and expect them to work? THX

I have one dead tester and one good one, and the ATMega from the dead unit doesn't display anything in the known good board, but they are different vendors and revisions so...  :-//

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4186 on: November 15, 2017, 04:00:51 am »
they should be the same if they both say "AY-AT" on them.
either way, you cant damage anything by swapping controllers around - the critical pins are fixed. (power, crystal etc.)

Offline stevelup

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4187 on: November 15, 2017, 07:52:10 am »
The primary variations are the display type and the pins used for connecting the display. If they are both using the same display type, and the display is connected in the same way, the processors should be interchangeable.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #4188 on: November 16, 2017, 02:16:27 am »
Love this epic thread  :popcorn:

Love my evilbay tester. Crammed it into an old 2.5" Sata drive case I had. To save losing SMD components in the case I used a garden tap washer glued to the board which is a neat fit to the top of the case. Some cheap and nasty clips fitted to a header go in the Sata pouch in the toolbag.

Currently it has an 8-20V Linear regulator and a Deans Mini plug fitted to the end. So fairly much any external DC supplies to power it. I might fit up an internal LiPo/Charger etc but cells are to fat 8)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4189 on: November 16, 2017, 07:23:21 am »
Love this epic thread  :popcorn:

Love my evilbay tester. Crammed it into an old 2.5" Sata drive case I had. To save losing SMD components in the case I used a garden tap washer glued to the board which is a neat fit to the top of the case. Some cheap and nasty clips fitted to a header go in the Sata pouch in the toolbag.

Currently it has an 8-20V Linear regulator and a Deans Mini plug fitted to the end. So fairly much any external DC supplies to power it. I might fit up an internal LiPo/Charger etc but cells are to fat 8)
For God's sake put black screws :)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #4190 on: November 16, 2017, 07:34:55 am »
Picky Picky Picky  :-DD

3mmx8mm "black" countersunk screws in country Australia don't grow on trees. Only the dropbears do ;)

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4191 on: November 16, 2017, 07:50:31 am »
Picky Picky Picky  :-DD

3mmx8mm "black" countersunk screws in country Australia don't grow on trees. Only the dropbears do ;)
Sorry the French people I'm working taught me it have to be nice, if it works that's secondary.
Anyway, paint the dam.ed screws.
Kidding, again

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #4192 on: November 17, 2017, 05:44:23 am »
Love my evilbay tester. Crammed it into an old 2.5" Sata drive case I had.

That's a good idea. Add it to the $20 transistor tester enclosure thread, too. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4193 on: November 17, 2017, 09:36:59 pm »
enclosures are for "users", engineers dont need enclosures.  >:D

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #4194 on: November 17, 2017, 10:15:08 pm »
LOL. Yeah, the lab is the enclosure.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: stj

Offline nakcho

• Contributor
« Reply #4195 on: November 18, 2017, 03:36:25 am »
ood collaborators of the forum ... I have a compontens tester on the board says 2578AY-AT I miss the firmware is the white screen a while and nothing happens ... uh .. tried to burn a firmware but none successful does not show me nothing ... I do not know what is wrong ... one of the firmware I get 99 ::: 99 and then it turns off the only thing I want is to recover my tester can I get a link with the correct firmware? I am using Extreme Burn 1.4 ... I do not know if it will be fine but what I do is put the memory to erase and load the new Hex ... nose if I had to configure something else in the program ... please can you help me. .. as I said the only thing I want is to recover my tester ... from now thank you very much

Offline Willem52

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4196 on: November 18, 2017, 09:30:38 am »
If flashing new firmware, do not forget to set the FUSES correctly, please!

SVN firmware repository "mega328_color_kit" folder:
https://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software/trunk/mega328_color_kit/

I still use the SVN 700 compilation from STJ (attached).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 09:36:06 am by Willem52 »

Offline nakcho

• Contributor
« Reply #4197 on: November 18, 2017, 12:15:57 pm »
If flashing new firmware, do not forget to set the FUSES correctly, please!

SVN firmware repository "mega328_color_kit" folder:
https://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software/trunk/mega328_color_kit/

I still use the SVN 700 compilation from STJ (attached).

again ... excuse my gnorancia .... I'm in full fight with this ... I attached an image of the fuse settings please help me ... install the firmware and only the voltage appears ... and then it turn off I think it is due to lack of fuse settings --- you help me with the correct configuration of the fuse? the crystal is 8Mhz
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 12:23:11 pm by nakcho »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #4198 on: November 18, 2017, 01:17:35 pm »
For ATmega328 with external 8MHz crystal:
Low Fuse: f7
High Fuse: d9
Extended Fuse: fc

Offline Per Hansson

• Supporter
« Reply #4199 on: November 18, 2017, 01:19:21 pm »
Parte baja Fusibiles = F7
Parte alta Fusibiles = D9
Fusibles extendidos = FC
Fusibles de Bloqueo = Do NOT select "escribir" on this one, it is used for write lock
Calibración = No idea what "calibration" this is for.

This should correspond to:
\-U lfuse:w:0xf7:m \-U hfuse:w:0xd9:m \-U efuse:0xfc:m

EDIT: madires was quicker to write than me ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf