Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3451969 times)

NikolaSoft, jellytot and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #4250 on: December 05, 2017, 07:42:57 pm »
Should be possible if you manage to find each transistor.

Offline MDM3D

• Contributor
« Reply #4251 on: December 06, 2017, 06:22:43 am »
If you get an AY-AT Clone, the following is a list of hardware corrections to order if you would like to optimize it's operation on M-Firmware. If you normally order parts from Mouser or Digikey all information and links are provided. (No Supplier Affiliation/No Financial Affiliate Program Links) This is simply a resource to make the information easier for the next person to find.
AY-AT Clone - The Proper Mods
1.) 0.1% Probing Resistors
2.) 20mhz Crystal
3.) Correct LDO Vreg
4.) Correct Vref

Manufacturers Part Number=MPN
Mouser Part Number=MoPN
Digikey Part Number=DkPN

(3×)470k Resistors
TE Connectivity
MPN: H8470KBZA
Metal Film Resistors - Through Hole H8 470K 0.1% 100PPM
MoPN: 279-H8470KBZA
$0.97each (8/2017)
$2.91 (×3)
DkPN: PTF475KCCT-ND (not stocked)
Dk Alt:
475k 0.1% 1/8W
Vishay Dale
MPN: PTF56475K00BYEB
DkPN: PTF475KCCT-ND
$1.64each (8/2017)

(3×)680ohm Resistors
TE Connectivity
MPN: H8680RBYA
Metal Film Resistors - Through Hole H8 680R 0.1% 15PPM
MoPN: 279-H8680RBYA
$1.14each (8/2017)
$3.42 (×3)
DkPN: H8680RBYA-ND(not stocked)
Dk Alt:
681ohm 0.1% 1/4W
Note: listed as discontinued by digikey (w/available stock 8/2017)
TT Electronics/Welwyn
MPN: RC55Y-681RBI
DkPN: 985-1036-1-ND
$1.70each (8/2017)

20mhz Crystal
CTS
MPN: ATS20A
Crystals 20MHz 20pF 30ppm -20C 70C
MoPN: 774-ATS20A
$0.36 (8/2017)
DkPN: CTX1106-ND
$0.36 (8/2017)

Spare ATmega328
Microchip
MPN: ATMEGA328-PU
8-bit Microcontrollers - MCU AVR 32K FLSH 1K EE2K SRAM-20MHz IND
MoPN: 556-ATMEGA328-PU
$1.95each (8/2017)
DkPN: ATMEGA328-PU-ND
$1.96each (8/2017)

2.5 Volt 0.1% Precision Reference
Texas Instruments
MPN: LM4040AIZ-2.5/NOPB
Voltage References Prec MicroPwr Shunt Vtg Ref
MoPN: 926-LM4040AIZ25NOPB
$1.72 (8/2017)
DkPN: LM4040AIZ-2.5/NOPB-ND
$1.73 (8/2017)

5v LDO Voltage Regulator
Microchip
MPN: MCP1702-5002E/TO
LDO Voltage Regulators LDO w/ Low Quiescent
MoPN: 579-MCP1702-5002E/TO
$0.52each (8/2017)
DkPN: MCP1702-5002E/TO-ND
$0.49each (8/2017)

Total
Mouser: $10.88 (8/2017)
(+USA Econ Shipping@$4.99)
Digikey: $14.56 (8/2017)
(+ Shipping I'm too lazy to look this up)

Mouser USA Part Links Consolidated:
470k Resistors
680ohm Resistors
20mhz Crystal
ATmega328
LM4040 Vref
MCP1702 LDO Vreg

I have done all of the hardware upgrades to the ay-at tester unit I have purchased but I am haveing a fairly difficult time building the correct files for the 20MHZ option. If I try to set 20 Mhz in the color kit folder I get an error and can only get it to compile whit 16 mhz option.  But if I use the 1.30m version I don't understand how to change Makefile, config.h or config-<MCU>.h properly with the feature set for the ay-at tester. 

The next question is after I compile these files can I stick the 328p in an uno board and flash the .hex and .eep files while the chip is in the uno or should I rig up the uno as an ISP programmer?
UNIVERSAL LAW 1, EVERYTHING runs on Smoke... If the smoke is released then it no longer functions. 
--- Source: Unknown

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4252 on: December 06, 2017, 08:39:27 am »
you cant plug a chip into an uno pcb to program it because it wont have the arduino bootloader on the chip.

you should wire a 6pin header to the pins on the underside of the ay-at chipsocket and then program it "in-circuit"
because that way all the power & crystal etc are already connected.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4253 on: December 06, 2017, 11:32:30 am »
I have done all of the hardware upgrades to the ay-at tester unit I have purchased but I am haveing a fairly difficult time building the correct files for the 20MHZ option. If I try to set 20 Mhz in the color kit folder I get an error and can only get it to compile whit 16 mhz option.  But if I use the 1.30m version I don't understand how to change Makefile, config.h or config-<MCU>.h properly with the feature set for the ay-at tester. 

The k-firmware supports up to 16MHz, while the m-firmware goes up to 20MHz. What do you not understand about configuring the m-firmware? The "Clones" file lists the settings for the AY-AT, and in the Makefile set "FREQ = 20".

Offline kimbang

« Reply #4254 on: December 06, 2017, 11:38:58 am »
Hello Madires,
Could you help me check my case? Please watch the video clip on youtube with the link:  https://youtu.be/Y5Q3kgpF4jw
With hardware configuration according to the hardware configuration of the Markus author: Atmega328P, Lcd ST7565R
 I tried so many times with firmware version of Markus V1.30m: I downloaded from: https://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software/Markus/
but failed with includes issues:
+ Always display values BJT NPN 123=CBE hFE 669 regardless of short circuit of all probes.
+ PWM function doesn't work (when i used the oscilloscope to check the output but no value at output )
+ Square Wave function doesn't work (when i used the oscilloscope to check the output but no value at output)
+ Selftest Function doesn't work: I have been waiting for more than 30 minutes but LCD still displayed "Create Short Circuit!"
+ Show Values Function is incorrect
Initially I thought about hardware issues but I have checked my schematic diagram and circuit board very carefully, it's absolutely no problem. I'm sure the bug is from the firmware but I do not know exactly where the error is in source code (I have attached it).
Please help me, thank you!

Offline blackbird

• Regular Contributor
  • Ooohhhh, what does this button do???
« Reply #4255 on: December 06, 2017, 12:30:35 pm »

+ Selftest Function doesn't work: I have been waiting for more than 30 minutes but LCD still displayed "Create Short Circuit!"

You can wait for it to happen until the battery runs out. Or..... you create a short circuit. As the tester is asking you. (Assuming you did not create the short circuit already)

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4256 on: December 06, 2017, 12:32:49 pm »
Explanation from Karl-Heinz in the last documentation of 31.10.17 :)
Makefile setting
"MAX MENU LINES This option specifies a maximum count of lines for the shown choices of
menu items. Normally the count of lines for the menu items is given by the present count of
lines of the display. Because there are usually more items selectable as the display can support,
the choices are replaced in a cyclic manner. Building the display content in this cyclic way
will take several time, especially for big color displays with many lines. With the limitation of
the line count by this option you can reduce the output time for the menu choices significant,
which will speed up the operation. The default value for this item is 5.
Example: CFLAGS += -DMAX MENU LINES=3"

that's nice, but it's not in the specific makefiles!!
the sourcetree has become a f'ing mess!!

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #4257 on: December 06, 2017, 01:50:37 pm »
you cant plug a chip into an uno pcb to program it because it wont have the arduino bootloader on the chip.

You could however plug the chip in an Uno pcb and use its infrastructure i.e. ISP headers to program the chip via USBtinyISP or similar :)
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline kimbang

« Reply #4258 on: December 06, 2017, 02:07:42 pm »

You can wait for it to happen until the battery runs out. Or..... you create a short circuit. As the tester is asking you. (Assuming you did not create the short circuit already)

When the tester asking create a short circuit, i did the request but nothing happened. I tried to wait for it happen but the screen still displayed the text "Create Short Circuit!"

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #4259 on: December 06, 2017, 02:18:52 pm »
Short 1-2-3 and: push button
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline Willem52

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4260 on: December 06, 2017, 02:21:51 pm »
@STJ
Some example pictures of the SVN 749 AY-AT (STJ) firmware.
To clear things up. ;)

Offline kimbang

« Reply #4261 on: December 06, 2017, 02:29:12 pm »
I tried but not work

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4262 on: December 06, 2017, 02:35:54 pm »
thanks,
i'm going to have to do some serious makefile fixing first.
then this can be fixed - i'm going to test other fonts too - i dont like how bold this one is.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4263 on: December 06, 2017, 02:38:05 pm »

You could however plug the chip in an Uno pcb and use its infrastructure i.e. ISP headers to program the chip via USBtinyISP or similar :)

you could, or you could save the wear on the socket and constant removal of the display if you put the header on the tester.
they should have stuck with smd processors - they all had header pads on them.
i always tell people buying these testers to spend $2 on a USBasp to go with it.

Offline kimbang

« Reply #4264 on: December 06, 2017, 02:38:43 pm »
TO ISSUE A DENIAL: I just tried it again with PWM function and Square Wave function and results:
+ Square Wave function is work well.
+ Square Wave function with something wrong with frequency.

Offline kimbang

« Reply #4265 on: December 06, 2017, 02:43:09 pm »

The k-firmware supports up to 16MHz, while the m-firmware goes up to 20MHz. What do you not understand about configuring the m-firmware? The "Clones" file lists the settings for the AY-AT, and in the Makefile set "FREQ = 20".
Hello Madires,
Could you help me check my case? Please watch the video clip on youtube with the link:  https://youtu.be/Y5Q3kgpF4jw
With hardware configuration according to the hardware configuration of the Markus author: Atmega328P, Lcd ST7565R
 I tried so many times with firmware version of Markus V1.30m: I downloaded from: https://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software/Markus/
but failed with includes issues:
+ Always display values BJT NPN 123=CBE hFE 669 regardless of short circuit of all probes.
+ PWM function doesn't work (when i used the oscilloscope to check the output but no value at output )
+ Square Wave function doesn't work (when i used the oscilloscope to check the output but no value at output)
Initially I thought about hardware issues but I have checked my schematic diagram and circuit board very carefully, it's absolutely no problem. I'm sure the bug is from the firmware but I do not know exactly where the error is in source code (I have attached it).
Please help me, thank you!

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4266 on: December 06, 2017, 02:46:51 pm »

If you're stuck at "Create short circuit" a short press of the test button will skip the adjustment.

Offline kimbang

« Reply #4267 on: December 06, 2017, 02:53:41 pm »

If you're stuck at "Create short circuit" a short press of the test button will skip the adjustment.
I tried to short press the test button but the lcd displayed the tex immediately after that "done!" so it was not calibrated.

Offline MDM3D

• Contributor
« Reply #4268 on: December 06, 2017, 02:55:18 pm »

AHA yes that is the info I need in order to configure the software correctly.  Thank you for your patience my Linux/Compiling experience is low outside of Arduino.
UNIVERSAL LAW 1, EVERYTHING runs on Smoke... If the smoke is released then it no longer functions. 
--- Source: Unknown

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4269 on: December 06, 2017, 03:02:01 pm »

That looks like a problem with the probes/test pins. For the ATmega328 it should be PC0-PC2 for probes #1-3, and PB0-PB5 for the test resistors (PB0: 680 Ohms, PB1: 470 kOhms and so on).

Offline kimbang

« Reply #4270 on: December 06, 2017, 03:21:18 pm »

That looks like a problem with the probes/test pins. For the ATmega328 it should be PC0-PC2 for probes #1-3, and PB0-PB5 for the test resistors (PB0: 680 Ohms, PB1: 470 kOhms and so on).
Hi there,
I'm sure that I've checked the hardware already, so that is the reason why i think the source code has been changed. Could you please send me the Markus V1.30 firmware?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4271 on: December 06, 2017, 04:05:34 pm »
You can download the m-firmware at https://github.com/svn2github/transistortester/tree/master/Software/Markus . Please post some pictures of your PCB (front & back).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 04:09:00 pm by madires »

The following users thanked this post: kimbang

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4272 on: December 06, 2017, 04:48:10 pm »
thanks,
i'm going to have to do some serious makefile fixing first.
then this can be fixed - i'm going to test other fonts too - i dont like how bold this one is.

just looking through the SVN,
the situation is BULLSHIT.
there are dozens of makefiles - all with different options.
nobody is keeping any of them up to date - i dont even know which is supposed to be the latest.
AND i cant find any damned option to configure menu lines.
i'm out of this until that shit gets cleaned up - i'm not spending hours trying to configure outdated makefiles.  |O
 :rant:

Offline kimbang

« Reply #4273 on: December 07, 2017, 01:03:15 am »
You can download the m-firmware at https://github.com/svn2github/transistortester/tree/master/Software/Markus . Please post some pictures of your PCB (front & back).

Thanks Madires,
I will redesign a new PCB and i will post here all.

Offline ncclabs

« Reply #4274 on: December 07, 2017, 09:11:50 am »
I need a file m 1.30 (ST7735), use crystal 16M or 20M, I hope everyone can share :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf