Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3451026 times)

Offline kikook

• Contributor
  • Only Audio Vintage
    • Audiovintage.fr
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #4975 on: August 07, 2018, 11:50:47 am »
Thanks Markus,
It's curious because I don't have any problem to compile Karl-Heinz's firmwares.
Trying re-install winavr without any success.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #4976 on: August 07, 2018, 02:52:07 pm »
It's curious because I don't have any problem to compile Karl-Heinz's firmwares.

When winavr compiles the k-firmware without any problems then there has to be another reason. I remember a special #define which we had to add for one IDE. Maybe it's something like that. Can someone using winavr help with this issue?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4977 on: August 07, 2018, 03:01:46 pm »
Looks like 644 based devices starts popping up now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/113001217497

Nice! This one includes the extended frequency counter option with the low and high frequency oscillators for testing crystals and a prescaler (or some variant of it).

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #4978 on: August 07, 2018, 03:07:16 pm »
Odd question: Is the company name "Original Hiland"? (or do they claim all stolen idea's are "original"?)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4979 on: August 07, 2018, 03:07:26 pm »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4980 on: August 07, 2018, 03:19:07 pm »
Odd question: Is the company name "Original Hiland"? (or do they claim all stolen idea's are "original"?)

It's the clash between our concept of copyright and Chinese culture. If I got this right, the copying of a original design or a piece of art is some kind of honoring the inventor/artist while cheating buyers at the same time.

Offline mauroh

• Frequent Contributor
    • Mauro Pintus
« Reply #4981 on: August 07, 2018, 03:24:37 pm »
Banggood has this M644 for 24.98 usd https://www.banggood.com/Original-Hiland-M644-Transistor-Tester-LCR-Diode-Transistor-Zener-Quartz-Measurement-p-1279042.html?

They must love me!!! Looks like the new M644 version use the same case of my current tester and apparently they even copyed my solution to mount the ZIF socket in the case!!! Great  :-+
I must have it!! Looking forward for the new improvement available with the bigger microcontroller  :popcorn:

Mauro
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 03:29:13 pm by mauroh »

Offline pepe10000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4982 on: August 07, 2018, 04:15:48 pm »

When winavr compiles the k-firmware without any problems then there has to be another reason. I remember a special #define which we had to add for one IDE. Maybe it's something like that. Can someone using winavr help with this issue?

Hi.

If it fails you can try to compile with my WinAVR:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/45ybva33chnak9g/WinAVR-20100110.rar

Just replace your WinAVR folder with the downloaded one.

A greeting.

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4983 on: August 07, 2018, 06:08:19 pm »
For some reason you need the right version of WiAvr, specially in windows 10. This has been discussed a few times in this thread.  :-//

The wrong version will give you code too big to fit on the microcontroller. Follow Pepe's link and also install Cygwin 64.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #4984 on: August 08, 2018, 02:26:19 am »
Looks like 644 based devices starts popping up now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/113001217497

Nice! This one includes the extended frequency counter option with the low and high frequency oscillators for testing crystals and a prescaler (or some variant of it).

Oh, interesting. And the ZIF socket is socketed.

They must love me!!! Looks like the new M644 version use the same case of my current tester and apparently they even copyed my solution to mount the ZIF socket in the case!!! Great  :-+
I must have it!! Looking forward for the new improvement available with the bigger microcontroller 

I guess so. Hmm, does this mean that if you come up with an idea, you should post it all over the net? That way, if China copies and manufactures it, you can buy it for less money and effort than if you made it yourself? :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Per Hansson

• Supporter
« Reply #4985 on: August 08, 2018, 06:37:50 am »

This M644 seems to be the same one unless I'm mistaken? And at prices rivaling some M328 designs! Hell I'll order one right away, $17.70 including shipping can't be beat!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253794953057

Offline mauroh

• Frequent Contributor
    • Mauro Pintus
« Reply #4986 on: August 08, 2018, 07:28:02 am »
I guess so. Hmm, does this mean that if you come up with an idea, you should post it all over the net? That way, if China copies and manufactures it, you can buy it for less money and effort than if you made it yourself? :-DD

That's the plan  >:D. I know I don't have that power, but all this small tools manufacturers are paing attention on what is posted all over the interweb so here are my suggestions:

Dear clones manufacturer, please consider to add a companion case for this tester with an exposed smd test area like the ESR02PRO or provide an smd accessory, LiPo battery, microusb port for external power, recharge the battery and usb serial interface.

While you're at it, please combine the two firmware variants m and k and provide an open souce Marcus-Heinz GitHub repository.
Thank you  :popcorn:

Mauro

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4987 on: August 08, 2018, 07:42:06 am »
I like it. :-+

Offline garthk

« Reply #4988 on: August 08, 2018, 10:28:19 am »
Haven't seen anyone mention it yet, so I'm just going to mark 200 pages of posts, here. Onya!

Offline mauroh

• Frequent Contributor
    • Mauro Pintus
« Reply #4989 on: August 08, 2018, 12:10:03 pm »
Yeah geat achivement for a small but usefull device...
The issue is that 180 pages are just for "How can I upgrade the firmware" or "I blew up my tester with a charged capacitor..."

It should be nice if it was possible to sort the topic by "most thanked post", or "most quoted message in the the topic" .....

Someone knows if it is possible to apply some filters like this in the advanced search?

This could be a simple way to extract a FAQ from 200 pages  :)

Mauro

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4990 on: August 08, 2018, 12:49:57 pm »
Haven't seen anyone mention it yet, so I'm just going to mark 200 pages of posts, here. Onya!

It's only 100 here, but yeah it is still an impressive tally.

I recently built a new one and upgraded an old one with a 20mhz crystal, decent regulators and real 0.1% resistors rather than the cheap grunge it came with. To be honest the improvement in tolerance and accuracy was not really noticeable for what I use it for.

The biggest improvement I've seen with these units is the faster crystal combined with the latest m firmware.

Seriously impressive little machines, but they don't seem to like 400uF at 400V.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4991 on: August 08, 2018, 03:31:07 pm »
Seriously impressive little machines, but they don't seem to like 400uF at 400V.

That would give you a good bang for the buck >:D

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4992 on: August 08, 2018, 06:20:12 pm »
Yeah, if you forgot to discharge it. :o

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4993 on: August 09, 2018, 12:41:00 am »
Yeah, if you forgot to discharge it. :o

Resulting in "holy atmega batman". Thankfully no other damage and it prompted me to wire up a programming header and start the improvement process. Cost : one atmega, Education value  : priceless.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 12:42:51 am by BradC »

Offline mebel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4994 on: August 09, 2018, 08:33:17 pm »

[/quote]

Oh, interesting. And the ZIF socket is socketed.

[/quote]

Where can I buy such socket for ZIF socket?

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4995 on: August 10, 2018, 03:11:39 am »
It's a DIP IC socket. Choose one with the matching number of pins.

The following users thanked this post: mebel

Offline mauroh

• Frequent Contributor
    • Mauro Pintus
« Reply #4996 on: August 10, 2018, 09:47:04 am »
I have used this.
Mauro

Offline Azure

• Contributor
« Reply #4997 on: August 12, 2018, 01:55:23 am »
Where can I buy such socket for ZIF socket?

You can buy quality ones form element14 and other brand name suppliers, otherwise you can get cheap ones from ebay.  Just search for "ZIF socket".

For a socket for the ZIF, same suppliers just search for "DIL socket".  You can just buy a normal socket the same size to use as the socket for the ZIF, or use 0.1" pin strips.  Be careful about using machines sockets as some ZIF pins do not fit into them.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 01:58:46 am by Azure »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4999 on: August 12, 2018, 04:58:56 pm »
One major drawback of the TC1 is the additional MCU which controls power and the test button. That design is incompatible with the standard one and prevents firmware upgrades (k/m firmware). A while ago I released a simple circuit for replacing the control MCU to remove the incompatibility. Of course this will render the TC1's modified firmware useless. There could be another big problem with the design of power supply which I still have to investigate. My TC1's Vcc jumps around wildly, especially when it runs longer than a few seconds. Also the boost converter gets hot. Could be a bad component or bad design. The current draw seems a tad low compared to values others have reported. A common issue with the TC1 is a shorted cap in the power supply circuitry (backlight lit, but no display).

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf