Author Topic: T.C. measurements on precision resistors  (Read 401873 times)

Offline mimmus78

• Supporter
Re: T.C. measurements on precision resistors
« Reply #750 on: May 12, 2017, 08:59:35 pm »
So you have the PET fan blowing directly on the switch card box ... ummm I don't like.
Have you considered if this can cause weird EMF problems?

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #751 on: May 12, 2017, 11:36:10 pm »
What are those connectors you are using for the resistors.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline MisterDiodes

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #752 on: May 13, 2017, 04:03:34 am »
Pyta:  You probably want to send those GR's back for inspection, or double check the setup.  We received a batch last month, the 120's are all running in spec for TC at about 2.5 ~ 3 ppm TC.  Never seen them that whacko.

When you run those screws down on the leads, do you have a spring-loaded tensioner-spreader plate between the screw and lead (so you get a consistent, repeatable clamping force) - or is the screw just directly pressing into the lead and extruding / deforming it?  We've seen that problem before.  It looks like the other resistors were behaving, approximately.

Offline AndreasTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #753 on: May 13, 2017, 05:49:21 am »
Hello,

Wow: what a effort to measure one batch of resistors.

Just one question: the y-axis on the diagram is marked as ppm/K ?
Or should it be ppm

with best regards

Andreas

« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 05:51:16 am by Andreas »

Offline doktor pyta

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #754 on: May 13, 2017, 07:01:10 am »
So you have the PET fan blowing directly on the switch card box ... ummm I don't like.
Have you considered if this can cause weird EMF problems?

If I understand You correctly, You are talking about the rear side of the scanner. Well, the PCB contains mounting holes for some protection against air movement however test show that this is not necessary. The fins of the heat sink make most of the air blowing away from these place.
The thing I was worried about was the infuence of rotating magnets near test chamber, but long integrating time and TRUE OHM measurements do their job.

What are those connectors you are using for the resistors.

its typical 3.5mm terminal block which I already had. It was important for me not to use ones with PZ or PH screw as they are easy to destroy by screwdriver if they are frequently used. (example http://www.tme.eu/gb/details/1776275-2/pcb-terminal-blocks/te-connectivity/).

Pyta:  You probably want to send those GR's back for inspection, or double check the setup.  We received a batch last month, the 120's are all running in spec for TC at about 2.5 ~ 3 ppm TC.  Never seen them that whacko.

When you run those screws down on the leads, do you have a spring-loaded tensioner-spreader plate between the screw and lead (so you get a consistent, repeatable clamping force) - or is the screw just directly pressing into the lead and extruding / deforming it?  We've seen that problem before.  It looks like the other resistors were behaving, approximately.

Yes, I use 'spring-loaded tensioner-spreader plate'. I also think this is important.

Hello,

Wow: what a effort to measure one batch of resistors.

Just one question: the y-axis on the diagram is marked as ppm/K ?
Or should it be ppm

with best regards

Andreas

Y axis are in [ppm/K].
X axis is in ['C], but while I'm taking measurements at 15, 20, 25, 30, 35'C, I calculate mean TC between these point, so the values on X axis are 17.5'C, 22,5'C etc..

• Super Contributor
« Reply #755 on: May 13, 2017, 07:33:25 am »
Hello,

now it makes sense.
but the raw values would be also interesting.

with best regards

Andreas

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #756 on: May 13, 2017, 08:47:30 am »
I don't think one would need such a strong fan inside the thermal box. The metal can already provide quite some magnetic shielding. If at all the fan would add some AC voltage and thus possible "random" variations to the readings.

I would be a little worried about the cables conducting quite some heat and this way cause thermal EMF at the connectors. This might not be such a big problem, if the DMM takes possible thermal EMF into account.

Just 5 temperatures are not much to calculate a TC vs temperature curve. The more normal way to do that with so few points would be a polynomial fit and than differentiating that curve.

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #757 on: May 13, 2017, 09:02:26 am »
Photos part 4 + sample measurements.

Now You see why I had problems with two of my LTZ 1000 boards which used 120ohm 8G16D resistors.

P.S.1.  I don't use temperature ramping. I set cretain temperature and I wait for an hour for temperatures to equalize. Then I start measurements.

P.S.2.  The project wouldn't be finished without software work done by Mr. Zbigniew K. Thank You!

Doktor pyta,

very nice setup & measurements!

I also had encountered too high T.C.s on these General Resistance econistors, 120 Ohm.
I received new ones directly from them, being ok at <= 5ppm/K.
They provided very different T.C. measurements with their new samples, claiming about 24h waiting time, or so, for each of the three different temperature points.

The LTZ circuit runs ok now, but I doubt, that even 10ppm/K makes a difference. The drift 'attenuation factor' for the 120 Ohm is about 800, if I remember correctly.

Frank

The following users thanked this post: MisterDiodes

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #758 on: May 13, 2017, 03:16:40 pm »
In the LTZ1000 circuit the drift attenuation is about 100 for the 120 Ohms and the divider. The sensitivity factor for the 120 Ohms is directly connected to the zener resistance: A typical zener resistance in the 10 Ohms range would result in a factor of about 140.  Its more more like 300-500 for the 70 K resistors - at least according to the datasheet.
So a < 5 ppm/K would be good, to get overall in the 0.1 ppm/K range for the reference. For the divider, there is at least the theoretical option to check it - which is not that easy with the 120 Ohms. So the 120 Ohms is critical.

For the drift of the resistors it might be interesting to look at the time dependence - there might be a relaxation effect or a delayed humidity effect superimposed. It is not just the instant temperature that has an effect. So it is Ok to use steps with constant temperature, but the data versus time might still be interesting and give a clue on how much is instant TC and how much in indirect and delayed.

Offline MisterDiodes

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #759 on: May 13, 2017, 03:21:26 pm »
Photos part 4 + sample measurements.

Now You see why I had problems with two of my LTZ 1000 boards which used 120ohm 8G16D resistors.

P.S.1.  I don't use temperature ramping. I set cretain temperature and I wait for an hour for temperatures to equalize. Then I start measurements.

P.S.2.  The project wouldn't be finished without software work done by Mr. Zbigniew K. Thank You!

The LTZ circuit runs ok now, but I doubt, that even 10ppm/K makes a difference. The drift 'attenuation factor' for the 120 Ohm is about 800, if I remember correctly.

Frank

Yes, we also have measured that 120 Ohm drift attenuation factor to be very well over 100 X as spec'd in the datasheet.  The 120 Ohm is not very fussy.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #760 on: May 13, 2017, 04:10:13 pm »
In the LTZ1000 circuit the drift attenuation is about 100 for the 120 Ohms and the divider.
Hello,

You should know it better.

As we have discussed this so many times in the LTZ1000 thread:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/ultra-precision-reference-ltz1000/msg833226/#msg833226

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/ultra-precision-reference-ltz1000/msg656529/#msg656529

So the attenuation is more in the 600-700 range except when you use R60 to compensate other TCs.
So dont believe the datasheet values.

with best regards

Andreas

Offline doktor pyta

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #761 on: May 15, 2017, 04:31:56 pm »
Below measurements of two Fluke resistors from 335A which I took apart 5 Years ago.
They were marked P1 and P0.5.

Raw data:
T['C]                           R_fluke_P1 [ohm]      R_fluke_P0.5 [ohm]
15                                   1.9993265E+4           9.9965340E+4
20                                   1.9993420E+4           9.9965880E+4
25                                   1.9993547E+4           9.9966300E+4
30                                   1.9993652E+4           9.9966630E+4
35                                   1.9993739E+4           9.9966850E+4
25 (check after 24h)       1.9993545E+4           9.9966290E+4

Calculated polynomials:
R= T^3*6.666664688e-6-T^2*9.514286431e-4+T*5.810476134e-2+19992.58503
R= T^3*6.666661648e-6-T^2*2.585715149e-3+T*0.191619128+99963.02571

The picture shows plotted T.C. Data are plotted in two ways: one is "as should be: dR/dT differentiated polynomial" - as Kleinstein suggested and second is simple mean between data points. Considering the amount of data to be processed I see the simple method to be more adequate for Excel spreadsheed calculations. Later I will try both methods on more complicated curves taken from real data.

P.S. Here You have my favourite tool for regression computing: http://www.xuru.org/rt/PR.asp#CopyPaste
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 04:59:47 pm by doktor pyta »

Online PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #762 on: August 01, 2017, 06:35:56 pm »
I'm itching to ask something about the TC of resistors.

Given a large batch of same type same value resistors, how is the sign of the TC (+ or -) distributed lets say from 25ºC and upwards?
I mean will all of them have negative/positve TCs? most of them will be positive? 50/50?

Maybe these are the wrong questions to ask, but I'm always wondering about the undefined sign of the TC
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 06:59:20 pm by MasterTech »

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #763 on: August 01, 2017, 07:36:41 pm »
With many resistor types there is a kind of typical curve.  So something like the second order TC tends to be similar. With resistors from the same batch (e.g. coming from the same machine one after the other)  chances are also that the resistors are relatively similar. So possibly all resistors with same sign of TC.

The undefined sign of the TC is due to the normally symmetric range. However there are also a few resistors specified with an asymmetric range: e.g. a TC of +100 ppm/K to +200 ppm/K. Part of the TC range can also be due to curvature (especially with precision versions) - like +10 ppm/K at 0 C but -10 ppm/K at 100 C. Lower quality versions are more often with a fixed sign over a large range and with a good change to have a single sign only.

The following users thanked this post: CalMachine

• Super Contributor
« Reply #764 on: August 01, 2017, 08:49:28 pm »
Hello Mastertech,

lets have a look how the T.C. is usually specified:
(of course there may be exceptions e.g. with carbon film resistors).

You measure a sample at 3 cardinal temperature points:
(The temperature values may differ if the operating temperature range differs)

-55 deg C (minimum specified operating temperature)
+25 deg C (nominal temperature)
+125 deg C (upper specified operating temperature).
This gives a temperature span of 180 deg C

You get e.g. 3 measurement values for the resistor.
You take the maximum and the minimum of the 3 values
Then you calculate
(RMax - RMin) / Rnominal -> Span of the T.C. in ppm
Now the 3 resistor values are in a Box which is Span high and 180 deg C wide.

To get the T.C. (in +/- ppm/K) you draw the center line on the half height of the box.
So the T.C. is +/- ((Span / 2)/180 deg C)

The "typical curve" in the data sheet is only a illusion:
How will you get this curve with only 3 measured points ?
There is even no guarantee that over the whole temperature range all resistor values will stay within the box.

And of course: not every resistor of a batch is measured. (The test is relative time consuming).
If you have luck they do a statistical number of samples from one or the other batch.

with best regards

Andreas

• Super Contributor
« Reply #765 on: November 26, 2017, 04:18:53 pm »
Hello,

here some results with General Resistance precision wirewound Resistors 8G16 (from Rhopoint).
https://www.rhopointcomponents.com/components/resistors/precision-through-hole/wirewound-econistor-3ppmc-8e16-8g16-series.html

3 T.C. measurements of 12K 0.1% resistors with 5ppm max T.C. (3 ppm typ.)

All in all the resistors show a large stray so it makes sense to select out the best for high demands.

While the T.C. is well within spec at least sample #1 suffers from a relative large hysteresis (+/- 8 ppm) over a 30 deg C temperature span.
Also sample #1 has a significant drift over the thermal cycles.
Sample 2+3 show better T.C. and much lower drift (within noise) and usual hysteresis of plastic encapsulated resistors.

The diagrams are normalized to 25 deg C and to near zero deviation at 25 deg C.
The LMS approximation is done as usual as a 3rd order polynomal curve.

In overview table the values are listed together with Edwins 0805 wire wound resistors.

With best regards

Andreas

The following users thanked this post: chickenHeadKnob, Dr. Frank, 2N3055, CalMachine, zhtoor

• Super Contributor
« Reply #766 on: December 14, 2017, 10:02:20 pm »
Hello,

first measurements on the 70K 8G16 resistors (from Rhopoint).

#1 shows a "open" hysteresis of about +/-5ppm over a 30 deg C temperature cycle
     box T.C. around 0.6 ppm/K and drift of 8 ppm within 4 days with temperature cycling

#2 shows even worse hysteresis of +/-21 ppm at low temperatures
     box. T.C. around 1 ppm/K and drift of 9 ppm within 4 days with temperature cycling

I find that such a hysteresis is simply too bad for my purposes and I thought it would be perhaps a good idea to bake the resistors to get off the stress from the package to the resistive wire.
So I baked the remaining 70K resistors #3-#6 on 4 successive days for several hours at >= 70 deg C.

And bingo: after 4 days baking 70K resistor #3 showed on the first view a much better behaviour.
no open hysteresis (closed loop) of around +/- 5 ppm with 0.8ppm/K box T.C.

with best regards

Andreas

• Super Contributor
« Reply #767 on: December 14, 2017, 10:12:57 pm »
But obviously: there is no free lunch

the night following the first measurement the resistor drifted about 10 ppm at constant temperature.

and the following cycles have gone worse and worse .....
And each night another (fortunately decreasing) upward drift.

so the last measurement on 70K#3 does no longer look good.

#3 on last measurement: +/-7 ppm "open" hysteresis
box T.C. around 1 ppm/K and 31 ppm drift over 6 days.

So the largest part of the hysteresis is humidity related.
A baking brings somewhat better values. (drying Epoxy is shrinking).
But the baking also shifts the value of the resistor.
When the resistor is left around room temperature the Epoxy is swelling again by taking air humidity.
So the drift goes into reverse direction.

with best regards

Andreas

The following users thanked this post: Dr. Frank, CalMachine

Offline mimmus78

• Supporter
« Reply #768 on: December 15, 2017, 02:16:42 pm »
But obviously: there is no free lunch

the night following the first measurement the resistor drifted about 10 ppm at constant temperature.

and the following cycles have gone worse and worse .....
And each night another (fortunately decreasing) upward drift.

so the last measurement on 70K#3 does no longer look good.

#3 on last measurement: +/-7 ppm "open" hysteresis
box T.C. around 1 ppm/K and 31 ppm drift over 6 days.

So the largest part of the hysteresis is humidity related.
A baking brings somewhat better values. (drying Epoxy is shrinking).
But the baking also shifts the value of the resistor.
When the resistor is left around room temperature the Epoxy is swelling again by taking air humidity.
So the drift goes into reverse direction.

with best regards

Andreas
Andreas I also was thinking at this but after the 60°C phase even if I was leaving the resistors in desecant it maintain the same behavior (I used an aspirine tabs tube to keep the resistors well dry and "hermetically sealed" with some more desecant inside).

After this I started to think this is more a physical stress/relaxing thing and not humidity related.

You may repeat the experiment, my data were not good enough to arrive to a cert conclusion.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #769 on: December 16, 2017, 03:04:34 pm »
Hello,

humidity is the most plausible explanation that I found.
(since time constant is several days).
Of course it could also be some relaxation/creeping effect.

In any case: it is a effect that is related to the plastic material used.
And I don´t want that effect since it makes e.g. a voltage divider unpredictable.

With best regards

Andreas

Offline MisterDiodes

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #770 on: December 18, 2017, 05:49:26 pm »

Actually, we've found humidity might not be all to blame here - and of course you've ruled out drift in your measurement system (we are always comparing to a known SR-104 Rref standard to help negate equipment drift):

1.  Try testing your resistors in a controlled saturated salt solution atmosphere.  I'd let them run at least a 30 days at 70% and again for another 30 days at 10% humidity.  That will give you some idea of what's going on.  Now conformal coat the resistors and see what changes.

2.  For voltage dividers, it's always better to run the divider on a test PCB in about the same physical arrangement as the final design.  It's also very important to realize the resistors need to be under typical bias condition and typical thermal flow situation as your application - in other words just testing the resistors on a DMM is not the same thermal flow characteristic you're looking at for the real divider.

Another test is to run the resistor divider set under oil, and yet another is to measure the water absorption rate of your components on a sensitive lab scale.   This usually takes a month or two (or longer) oven dry out in the oven - get a baseline weight, and then a month or two exposed to a humidity controlled atmosphere, and see what the mass change was.  The wire itself on a PWW doesn't care about humidity, but you might see some stress issues from the bobbin - but this tends to stabilize over time.   

You'll probably find that the resistance drifts a bit early on, but as the component stress-relieves itself it will become more stable over time - and not as much will be attributed to humidity as you first thought, maybe.  It all depends on how the resistor is constructed. 

What we've found is that running the divider under actual bias conditions and several thermal cycles for at least a few weeks will let you see the system stabilize.

Normally we would not see major changes over a few days time on a well-relaxed PWW divider, so you might be looking at something else.  You do see some yearly drift of course but if you spec the PWW divider resistors to have the same or similar TC you should see a relatively stable divider in RATIO TC, which is what you want normally.  You don't usually care too much about the absolute value of each resistor drifting - but be aware of this effect in balanced differential amps, since sometimes that absolute value change can sneak in to cause trouble even if the ratio TC is fairly steady.

The following users thanked this post: e61_phil, Edwin G. Pettis, chuckb

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #771 on: December 18, 2017, 07:02:57 pm »
Now conformal coat the resistors and see what changes.

Certonal® FC-742 Acota is a pretty useful one.

-branadic-
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 07:38:01 am by branadic »
Computers exist to solve problems that we wouldn't have without them. AI exists to answer questions, we wouldn't ask without it.

Offline mimmus78

• Supporter
« Reply #772 on: December 18, 2017, 11:35:16 pm »

Actually, we've found humidity might not be all to blame here - and of course you've ruled out drift in your measurement system (we are always comparing to a known SR-104 Rref standard to help negate equipment drift):

1.  Try testing your resistors in a controlled saturated salt solution atmosphere.  I'd let them run at least a 30 days at 70% and again for another 30 days at 10% humidity.  That will give you some idea of what's going on.  Now conformal coat the resistors and see what changes.

2.  For voltage dividers, it's always better to run the divider on a test PCB in about the same physical arrangement as the final design.  It's also very important to realize the resistors need to be under typical bias condition and typical thermal flow situation as your application - in other words just testing the resistors on a DMM is not the same thermal flow characteristic you're looking at for the real divider.

Another test is to run the resistor divider set under oil, and yet another is to measure the water absorption rate of your components on a sensitive lab scale.   This usually takes a month or two (or longer) oven dry out in the oven - get a baseline weight, and then a month or two exposed to a humidity controlled atmosphere, and see what the mass change was.  The wire itself on a PWW doesn't care about humidity, but you might see some stress issues from the bobbin - but this tends to stabilize over time.   

You'll probably find that the resistance drifts a bit early on, but as the component stress-relieves itself it will become more stable over time - and not as much will be attributed to humidity as you first thought, maybe.  It all depends on how the resistor is constructed. 

What we've found is that running the divider under actual bias conditions and several thermal cycles for at least a few weeks will let you see the system stabilize.

Normally we would not see major changes over a few days time on a well-relaxed PWW divider, so you might be looking at something else.  You do see some yearly drift of course but if you spec the PWW divider resistors to have the same or similar TC you should see a relatively stable divider in RATIO TC, which is what you want normally.  You don't usually care too much about the absolute value of each resistor drifting - but be aware of this effect in balanced differential amps, since sometimes that absolute value change can sneak in to cause trouble even if the ratio TC is fairly steady.

This is also my idea: the grand part of the hysteresis after a change of more than 20°K is not due to humidity..

Unfortunately I only have limited resources of time, number of samples and my reference resistor is the 40K inside the 3458a of witch I don't know the TCR itself ... so my mileage may vary.

Offline lars

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #773 on: December 19, 2017, 08:31:06 pm »
As far as I can see the old 8E16 (non-RoHs version of 8G16) are humidity sensitive. I enclose a graph for twelve years tests of four resistors 100 to 100k. The higher values are much worse than the lower as can be seen. I have tested many 8E16 for quite long times and the spread were large. Eg. 100kohm 8E16 are  around 0.5-2ppm/%RH. As can be seen in the graph the long term drift is low compared to the humidity sensitivity. In the graph the temperature is compensated but even if not, the humidity would be worse and much more difficult to compensate.

For the comment to use bias I don't really understand if it is necessary for the 500mW component with a power dissipation of 0.6mW in the normal LTZ1000 design I guess will be used in?

I once had two 10kohm 8E16 in a +10 to -10V amplifier (so about 10mW dissipation each) they still suffered from seasonal variations. My guess afterwards were that the two 10k 8E16 had different humidity sensitivities.

Maybe 20 years ago I also got two sets of Vishay S102 100, 1k and 10kohm to test for temperature sensitivity at work. The 1k and 10k had far to much hysteresis during test so it wasn't possible to get a temperature sensitivity from that test. This ended up that I checked them for many years at home. The 100ohm had almost no seasonal variations but both the 1 and 10kohm had about 1ppm/%RH.

Lars

The following users thanked this post: 3roomlab, Andreas

Offline try

• Regular Contributor
  • Metrology from waste
« Reply #774 on: December 19, 2017, 09:00:15 pm »
Hi Lars,

would you mind explaining the y-axis in your graph a bit?
It appears to me that it is referring to a variety of measurement units.

Humidity is expressed as relative humidity times 100.
Temperatur is expressed in Celsius.

But what about the data for all the reference dividers?
Do you plot the relative change of the ratio of the dividers?

Thank you for providing such a long time series!

Regards
try

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf