Poll

How many cycles will the KeySight U1281A's detent spring last?

0-2000
7 (17.1%)
2k-4k
5 (12.2%)
4k-8k
15 (36.6%)
8k-16k
8 (19.5%)
>16k (most rubust meter ever made)
6 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Handheld meter robustness testing  (Read 1169446 times)

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Handheld meter electrical robustness testing.
« Reply #1550 on: June 12, 2017, 04:20:37 pm »
That's quite a difference a little cleaning makes. I shall keep that in mind.

Normally I am pretty good about keeping my hands clean and cleaning the board after I am done.  Just didn't take my time was all.  I does not take much to screw things up.  I thought it would be good to at least show.     

Also, turns out the Ultra can detect a blown fuse while measuring current as long as the open circuit voltage greater than 2.5 or so.  So it works as I would expect. 

Something just arrived all the way from Australia!  I'm pretty excited to have a look.

The following users thanked this post: imidis

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1551 on: June 12, 2017, 04:22:57 pm »
Awesome Joe! Looking forward to that one!
Gone for good

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #1552 on: June 12, 2017, 04:29:54 pm »
Give us an unboxing!

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1553 on: June 12, 2017, 06:11:24 pm »
I am looking forward to Dave's DMM. Who manufactured it?
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #1554 on: June 12, 2017, 06:16:42 pm »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1555 on: June 13, 2017, 01:56:53 am »
I have been playing around with the pre-released 121GW and am working with Dave to get an idea on how he would like to proceed.    Because the meter is still being developed it makes things a little more difficult.  So please be patient while we sort things out.   

I will come out and say the meter is pretty cool and has a lot more features than my foam replicas!   :-DD

The following users thanked this post: lem_ix

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #1556 on: June 13, 2017, 02:12:05 am »
No worries, Joe. Looking forward to however much you can accomplish pre-release, and more after release. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1557 on: June 13, 2017, 02:13:00 am »
Are you going to do a review before Dave does?
Or blow it up before it gets released... >:D
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1558 on: June 13, 2017, 03:47:01 am »
Because the meter is not release and still being developed, I am unable to do a detailed review.  Dave has suggested the we basically run the tests on it and see how it does.  The problem with this is I need to do some sort of functional test to know if the meter has changed after testing.  So some sort of mini-review is in order if anything just to show that the meter basically works.   

I am thinking we would put it through all the same tests I normally keep metrics on.   It would give Dave some idea how the meter will stack up against the others I have looked at. 

Yes, it could very well get damaged before it gets released.  That's the nature of running the tests. 

Because that grill starter has damaged so many UNI-Ts, I plan to run it before using the large gun.  This assumes it has survived the AC line test. 

Just one transient off the grill starter took out the UNI-T UT181A because of a poor layout, where the EEVBLOG rebranded Brymen BM235 has been unstoppable and recently was exposed to a 12KV transient.   Where does the 121GW fit?

Offline Crumble

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1559 on: June 13, 2017, 09:35:25 am »
LOL! I love it how you have the grillstarter sitting ready to ignite. I'd just note this unit on your spreadsheet as "121GW prototype" so no one will complain if their unit turns out to behave differently. To me it seems quite obvious some kind of functional test is needed, so maybe Dave can comment on functionality he thinks is undesirable to review (en therefore test). I don't think Dave will be particularly obstructive in this respect.  ;)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1560 on: June 13, 2017, 02:16:01 pm »
LOL! I love it how you have the grillstarter sitting ready to ignite. I'd just note this unit on your spreadsheet as "121GW prototype" so no one will complain if their unit turns out to behave differently. To me it seems quite obvious some kind of functional test is needed, so maybe Dave can comment on functionality he thinks is undesirable to review (en therefore test). I don't think Dave will be particularly obstructive in this respect.  ;)

I think after showing the output of the grill starter and how it compares with the IEC standard, and yet damaging so many UNI-T meters, people will want to see if it will damage the 121GW. 

Yes, this pre-production meter will need to be clearly marked in the spreadsheet.   

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1561 on: June 13, 2017, 02:36:06 pm »
I think after showing the output of the grill starter and how it compares with the IEC standard, and yet damaging so many UNI-T meters, people will want to see if it will damage the 121GW. 

I definitely do.

I'm not holding my breath though. I suspect it'll survive.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1562 on: June 13, 2017, 02:44:01 pm »
Mr. JQS:

Is it possible/practical/insane to incorporate a real world 'carpet surf' Pass or Fail in your meter testing procedures? 

or fast removal of a pullover garment that charges up ?

Not really practical. It depends too much on the weather, etc.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1563 on: June 13, 2017, 03:18:04 pm »
Mr. JQS:

Is it possible/practical/insane to incorporate a real world 'carpet surf' Pass or Fail in your meter testing procedures? 

or fast removal of a pullover garment that charges up ?

Agree.  Then again, drop testing a meter on the desk also has it's share of variables but I gave it a go just for you.  :-DD :-DD 

When I was attempting to design my own gun from scratch (not for the faint of heart) I showed a transient when I just sat down in my chair without a strap.   

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1564 on: June 13, 2017, 03:22:32 pm »

Agree.  Then again, drop testing a meter on the desk also has it's share of variables but I gave it a go just for you.  :-DD :-DD 

But it's reasonably repeatable.  :popcorn:

You didn't do the screwdriver test though. I thought something like a large screwdriver handle on the table could concentrate the force and give it something to spin/bounce off.

Maybe we need a robot arm to hurl meters against walls.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 03:25:04 pm by Fungus »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1565 on: June 13, 2017, 03:55:59 pm »
I was waiting for you to write a detailed test plan. 

Offline 3db

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1566 on: June 13, 2017, 04:16:06 pm »
I think it would be good if you included the  'Mrs Smiths Fabric Test' in all future meter tests.
It can be the new electrostatic reference source.  ;D

3DB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1567 on: June 13, 2017, 04:18:43 pm »
I think it would be good if you included the  'Mrs Smiths Fabric Test' in all future meter tests.
It can be the new electrostatic reference source.  ;D

3DB

That may not be a bad idea.  The reason it came up with the Gossen was I had just never seen a meter that would wander that bad with the inputs shorted. 

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1568 on: June 13, 2017, 04:42:10 pm »
I was waiting for you to write a detailed test plan.

It would help to know the orientation of the moving parts inside the relay.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1569 on: June 13, 2017, 05:24:06 pm »
Now you know that's not a detailed set of test requirements. 

Offline MacMeter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1570 on: June 13, 2017, 05:36:52 pm »

It's for those with SLIPPERY hands. Can't remember the last time I dropped my meter on a screwdriver, oh wait, now I remember, I've never dropped one, at all. :)

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1571 on: June 13, 2017, 06:04:32 pm »

It's for those with SLIPPERY hands. Can't remember the last time I dropped my meter on a screwdriver, oh wait, now I remember, I've never dropped one, at all. :)

I've very nearly dropped a meter into a cow pat. Wouldn't be much of an impact, but it'd definitely affect the measurements!

Offline Crumble

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1572 on: June 13, 2017, 08:32:12 pm »
I've very nearly dropped a meter into a cow pat. Wouldn't be much of an impact, but it'd definitely affect the measurements!
What were you measuring?  ???

[...]
Yeah, but it still does happen. I think it is a fair requirement for a handheld meter to be able to survive falling without changing cal by ~30x as this one did. I can imagine the situations in which it is most important the value is correct (like when measuring the presence of mains) it is most likely the meter will fall (like when doing building activities or installation work). I can't remember when I last dropped a multimeter, but I don't do the aforementioned things.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1573 on: June 13, 2017, 08:54:48 pm »

I was working on a horse lorry. Farms are dirty places y'know. I believe at the time I was trying to get the ******* to start.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1574 on: June 13, 2017, 09:04:03 pm »

[...]
Yeah, but it still does happen. I think it is a fair requirement for a handheld meter to be able to survive falling without changing cal by ~30x as this one did. I can imagine the situations in which it is most important the value is correct (like when measuring the presence of mains) it is most likely the meter will fall (like when doing building activities or installation work). I can't remember when I last dropped a multimeter, but I don't do the aforementioned things.

You saw a meter change 30X after being dropped?   

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf