Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2204797 times)

Offline prpplague

• Contributor
Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #1175 on: April 19, 2012, 07:32:07 pm »
There are some other reasons why the Voltcraft DSO-3062C is no longer available

Huh?  Would you please care to explain?  This forum is a place of open exchange and dispersal of information.

i am not able to explain in detail at the moment other than to say Conrad as well as several other Hantek product distributors in the US have been made aware of GPL violations in the hantek products.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #1176 on: April 19, 2012, 07:39:59 pm »
i am not able to explain in detail at the moment other than to say Conrad as well as several other Hantek product distributors in the US have been made aware of GPL violations in the hantek products.

Hmmm... I don't really see how this could be related to specifically selling out the Voltcraft (rebadged Hantek) DSO-3062C - since the Conrad online site is still listing for sale ALL of the other Voltcraft oscilloscopes which are rebadged Hanteks.

Edit: I don't know how many Voltcraft scopes are rebadged Hanteks - but at quick glance, I recognize at the very least the 4 USB scopes as Hanteks.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 07:46:07 pm by marmad »

Offline prpplague

• Contributor
« Reply #1177 on: April 19, 2012, 07:52:38 pm »

Hmmm... I don't really see how this could be related to specifically selling out the Voltcraft (rebadged Hantek) DSO-3062C - since the Conrad online site is still listing for sale ALL of the other Voltcraft oscilloscopes which are rebadged Hanteks.

Edit: I don't know how many Voltcraft scopes are rebadged Hanteks - but at quick glance, I recognize at the very least the 4 USB scopes as Hanteks.

the conrad.de has removed all references, i suspect that the english site just hasn't caught up......

Offline prpplague

• Contributor
« Reply #1178 on: April 19, 2012, 07:54:40 pm »

right, Hantek was refusing any GPL related discussion since 2years, on the other side they made a (let's call) mistake.
Their using WEEE number which is asociated with Conrad (WEEE DE28001718), not only on these "Voltcraft"
DSOs, even on Hantek handhelds (confirmed, have screenshots of that) or even recent Tekway bench DSOs
(not yet confirmed).

This means Conrad will be not able to explain it as "one time action, OEM products with no deep business relationship therefore
no chance to fulfil GPL",  they know what Hantek is doing, and they selling re-branded Hantek devices (e.g. USB DSOs) since
years.

correct...

what i meant was i am not party to the GPL enforcement actions going on in .de so i can't comment on those, but i am party to the actions going on in the US/Canada, and can only say that a number of retailers have been notified...

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #1179 on: April 19, 2012, 08:00:41 pm »
the conrad.de has removed all references, i suspect that the english site just hasn't caught up......

I'm looking at conrad.nl

Edit: Actually, I just looked at conrad.de - and they ARE still selling the Voltcraft rebadged Hantek USB scopes.

Edit2: Not only that, but they still list the following (but as sold out):

Jubiläumsangebot: VOLTCRAFT DSO-3062C 2-Kanal Oszilloskop, Digitales Speicheroszilloskop, Bandbreite 60 MHz , inkl. Tast »
Best.-Nr.: 122464 - 62
60 MHz Bandbreite
500 MS/s Realtime-Samplingrate, 25 GS/s equivalent
Tastköpfe inklusive
€ 299,00
Mengenrabatt
inkl. gesetzl. MwSt., zzgl. Versand »
ausverkauft
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 08:03:53 pm by marmad »

Offline prpplague

• Contributor
« Reply #1180 on: April 19, 2012, 08:04:26 pm »

I'm looking at conrad.nl

Edit: Actually, I just looked at conrad.de - and they ARE still selling the Voltcraft rebadged Hantek USB scopes.

ahh right i don't think the current action covers .nl

Offline prpplague

• Contributor
« Reply #1181 on: April 19, 2012, 08:14:04 pm »

I'm looking at conrad.nl

Jubiläumsangebot: VOLTCRAFT DSO-3062C 2-Kanal Oszilloskop, Digitales Speicheroszilloskop, Bandbreite 60 MHz , inkl. Tast »
Best.-Nr.: 122464 - 62
60 MHz Bandbreite
500 MS/s Realtime-Samplingrate, 25 GS/s equivalent
Tastköpfe inklusive
€ 299,00
Mengenrabatt
inkl. gesetzl. MwSt., zzgl. Versand »
ausverkauft

interesting, that wasn't the case yesterday.....

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #1182 on: April 19, 2012, 08:21:03 pm »

I'm looking at conrad.nl

well, when you search for VOLTCRAFT DSO-3062C you will find "item deleted", however you might see
still this model on some subcategories. This is because their website is caching internaly items even
if they already removed from database -> when you click on such link you will get "item not found or removed".

Example

http://produkt.conrad.de/45973183/voltcraft-dso-3062c-digital-oszilloskop.htm

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 07:32:51 am by tinhead »
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline prpplague

• Contributor
« Reply #1183 on: April 19, 2012, 08:55:21 pm »
yea that appears to be the case.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #1184 on: April 19, 2012, 09:00:24 pm »
well, when you search for VOLTCRAFT DSO-3062C you will find "item deleted", however you might see
still this model on some subcategories. This is because their website is caching internaly items even
if they already removed from database -> when you click on such link you will get "item not found or removed".

If you search VOLTCRAFT OSCILLOSCOPE, you see it in the list - but yes, the item page itself is deleted. Same as on the Dutch site.

Btw, these USB DSOs are not issue at all, they not using Linux. Only bench (and Hantek handhelds B series) are
covered by this GPL violation action.

The whole issue seems stupid to me; but then again, I'm not a big believer in licenses, copyrights, patents, and other ancient forms of copy protection. They seem to mainly protect and benefit those with deep pockets.

I am curious as to how it's going to affect outstanding orders. I've had one of the Voltcraft scopes on order at Conrad for about 3 weeks now - I think I'll contact them tomorrow to find out what's going on.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 09:02:08 pm by marmad »

Offline prpplague

• Contributor
« Reply #1185 on: April 19, 2012, 09:36:31 pm »

If you search VOLTCRAFT OSCILLOSCOPE, you see it in the list - but yes, the item page itself is deleted. Same as on the Dutch site.

Btw, these USB DSOs are not issue at all, they not using Linux. Only bench (and Hantek handhelds B series) are
covered by this GPL violation action.

The whole issue seems stupid to me; but then again, I'm not a big believer in licenses, copyrights, patents, and other ancient forms of copy protection. They seem to mainly protect and benefit those with deep pockets.

I am curious as to how it's going to affect outstanding orders. I've had one of the Voltcraft scopes on order at Conrad for about 3 weeks now - I think I'll contact them tomorrow to find out what's going on.

i am not a big fan of many types of copyrights and patents, however, i do expect that my contributions to open source projects such as the linux kernel be honored for the license i have provided the work under. if they can't play by the rules then they don't deserve to play......

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1186 on: April 19, 2012, 09:50:45 pm »
I am curious as to how it's going to affect outstanding orders.

in principle it should not,  but you never know how fast ppl are working.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 07:36:05 am by tinhead »
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #1187 on: April 19, 2012, 09:59:32 pm »
i am not a big fan of many types of copyrights and patents, however, i do expect that my contributions to open source projects such as the linux kernel be honored for the license i have provided the work under. if they can't play by the rules then they don't deserve to play......

Well, the problem is picking and choosing... it seems you have to have the whole mess - or none of it.  As a visual artist and software programmer for over 30 years, I've created tons of copyright-able material - but I've pretty much lost faith in the system.  The world market is a much different place today than when these protection systems were invented and developed - it's dominated by huge corporations that use these systems to create and maintain monopolies.  It was corporations that had the ridiculous Copyright Term Extension Act passed in the US to further protect their 'products' - and at the same time, if you're an entrepreneur and you've created something that they really want - they will just steal it - whether it's patented / copyrighted or not.

Offline prpplague

• Contributor
« Reply #1188 on: April 19, 2012, 10:02:01 pm »

Well, the problem is picking and choosing... it seems you have to have the whole mess - or none of it.  As a visual artist and software programmer for over 30 years, I've created tons of copyright-able material - but I've pretty much lost faith in the system.  The world market is a much different place today than when these protection systems were invented and developed - it's dominated by huge corporations that use these systems to create and maintain monopolies.  It was corporations that had the ridiculous Copyright Term Extension Act passed in the US to further protect their 'products' - and at the same time, if you're an entrepreneur and you've created something that they really want - they will just steal it - whether it's patented / copyrighted or not.

well i am 9 and 0 on wins against people violating the GPL with the linux kernel, and the folks at gpl-violations.org have much higher numbers than i do......

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #1189 on: April 19, 2012, 10:12:43 pm »
Quote from: Spawn on April 02, 2012, 02:08:50 AM
out of stock till 20 april

don't worry about the date, anther container is already on the way from China to EU.

tinhead - you mentioned in the above-quoted message of 2 April that another container of Hanteks was on it's way to EU - did that actually arrive since you posted?

well i am 9 and 0 on wins against people violating the GPL with the linux kernel, and the folks at gpl-violations.org have much higher numbers than i do......

Well I'm curious what those 9 wins amount to.  Money? Recognition? Removal of the violation?  How much of your own time was invested? Sorry, but this doesn't prove very much.

Of course, there are examples of individuals/smaller companies taking on bigger companies or corporations that violate patents and copyrights - and winning a sizable settlement, etc. - but they are undoubtedly the EXCEPTION - not the rule. In most cases, the infringed party will end up spending as much or more money than is ever awarded. Gosh, just go look up the story of Tesla and Marconi to see the history of patent/copyright infringement by bigger entities in a nutshell.

Patents and copyrights are in place to protect large companies products. If they happen, from time to time, to accidentally protect an individual or small company, well, that's ok too.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 10:15:24 pm by marmad »

Offline prpplague

• Contributor
« Reply #1190 on: April 19, 2012, 10:16:29 pm »

don't worry about the date, anther container is already on the way from China to EU.

tinhead - you mentioned in the above-quoted message of 2 April that another container of Hanteks was on it's way to EU - did that actually arrive since you posted?

Well I'm curious what those 9 wins amount to.  Money? Recognition? Removal of the violation?  How much of your own time was invested? Sorry, but this doesn't prove very much.

Of course, there are examples of individuals/smaller companies taking on bigger companies or corporations that violate patents and copyrights - and winning a sizable settlement, etc. - but they are undoubtedly the EXCEPTION - not the rule. In most cases, the infringed party will end up spending as much or more money than is ever awarded. Gosh, just go look up the story of Tesla and Marconi to see the history of patent/copyright infringement by bigger entities in a nutshell.

settlements were compliance with money to cover legal expenses. most notable companies are:

Leapfrog
Mattel
Fisher-Price
Oregon-Scientific
VTech
ALCO Electronics(aka RCA Electronics)

you have to stand up for your rights or else people/companies will take advantage of them....

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #1191 on: April 19, 2012, 10:19:20 pm »
you have to stand up for your rights or else people/companies will take advantage of them....

As I said, I don't believe in those 'rights' - but more power to you.  I would just prefer to put what little time I have into creating new stuff - not protecting old stuff I did.

Offline Spawn

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #1192 on: April 19, 2012, 10:52:00 pm »
I cancelled my Voltcraft order at Conrad last week, first I was not sure if I really needed one like I said before and second I was looking for another car and found the exact model I want so money is well spend, I guess I am not that much in to Electronics like you guys, :D  I like cars too (not that I got a fancy car but still) 

Offline carloscuev

• Regular Contributor
    • Spanish Freescale Developers Forum
« Reply #1193 on: April 20, 2012, 12:18:12 am »
Hello guys, Is there a way to draw a line on the 0 volts position of each channel? I've searched the menus but haven't found any, but as I don't use it very much I'm still not very familiarized with each configuration. Cheers !

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1194 on: April 20, 2012, 12:28:48 am »

afaik yes and they already got sold-out after few days.

Offline mightyzen

• Contributor
« Reply #1195 on: April 23, 2012, 04:36:41 pm »
i would not use the 120224.0, sure it does fix the "roll mode" bug, but it does have few new bugs.
Even Conrad removed this fw from their website. Soon there will be new version available, so just be patient.

The lastest batch from conrad was shipped with 120224.0, and indeed it contains some annoying bugs. Is there a way to downgrade?

I know that hantek updates only contain deltas from previous releases, but getting dso.exe and fpga files from a previous update might work. Unfortunately I could not find an archive with past hantek updates.

Offline prpplague

• Contributor
« Reply #1196 on: April 23, 2012, 10:41:07 pm »
Thanks to the hard work of the folks at gpl-violations.org and a coordinated effort against Hantek's distributors, all open source license code for the Hantek/Tekway DSO has been released:

http://ftp.gpl-devices.org/pub/vendors/Voltcraft/VOLTCRAFT_dso3000series.zip

we will be dissecting and making it available from a github repo within the next few days.

thanks gpl-violtations.org!!

Offline carloscuev

• Regular Contributor
    • Spanish Freescale Developers Forum
« Reply #1197 on: April 23, 2012, 11:04:44 pm »
Thanks to the hard work of the folks at gpl-violations.org and a coordinated effort against Hantek's distributors, all open source license code for the Hantek/Tekway DSO has been released:

http://ftp.gpl-devices.org/pub/vendors/Voltcraft/VOLTCRAFT_dso3000series.zip

we will be dissecting and making it available from a github repo within the next few days.

Can't wait to see a heavy modded firmware with great new features as a result of this !! Thanks for the news !!

Offline bilko

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1198 on: April 23, 2012, 11:05:34 pm »

Thanks, just downloaded it. Either I have a bad download or some of the tar.gz files are corrupt !!

Edit:
The files are OK, some of the archives are labelled as tar.gz, infact they are just tar files. Delete the .gz suffix and all is ok
This release of source code is surely going to increase sales of the product, well done. Everybody gains.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 11:30:25 pm by yachtronics »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1199 on: April 24, 2012, 12:34:19 am »
This are kernel and driver sources as well some tools (e.g. the fpga tool missing on Voltcraft DSOs).
For sure it is really nice to have these sources (regardless of GPL whatsoever thing), however don't forget
that the DSO code itself (FPGA , CPLD and ARM code) is not and will not be published as they
are Hantek / Tekway Intellectual Property.

Therefore the amount of "new DIY features" is reduced to only few things (like e.g. custom LAN)

You should also not forget that the firmware (ARM code) itself is checking the kernel version,
it need to be 2.6.13 or 2.6.30.4 - if not some features/the firmware will not work.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf