Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2204968 times)

Offline neggles

• Contributor
  • I like to make things
Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #2025 on: September 28, 2013, 01:01:05 pm »
for P models not, but for B/BMV/MSO models, see the first page, there are links to schematics. I would say best reference is hw1007 schematic (is the newest i've made).

Hmm, looks like I need +5@1A, +3.3@1.5-2A, +15@100-200ma, and +/-9 at ~500ma. Plus fan power. Shouldn't be too hard, I'll have a look inside my P when I get it. Hopefully it has less voltage lines :P but it doesn't seem likely. I recall seeing an internal photo of a P with a +12 line that didn't seem to be for the fan, so who knows.

Offline bigmessowires

• Contributor
« Reply #2026 on: September 28, 2013, 03:35:51 pm »
also the B version may still have the spot for the logic analyzer inside. The P does not.. I might have tried to find a B version if I would have known that and had the extra money.

What's the advantage of having the spot for the LA inside? Is it possible to buy the LA board separately, or build your own maybe?

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #2027 on: September 28, 2013, 04:01:15 pm »
Is it possible to buy the LA board separately?

i've ordered in the past whole batch of them from Tekway, no idea if they would sold single one (which probably would not make any sense from shippment costs point of view)

or build your own maybe?

well, that's indeed possible. I've posted the schematic, so you can easily check what necessary.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline neggles

• Contributor
  • I like to make things
« Reply #2028 on: September 30, 2013, 04:57:59 am »
I just got my DSO5072P in the mail so if there's anything you'd like me to check out, BMOW, feel free to ask.

I am very impressed with the build quality and functionality, though I don't currently have a way to test bandwidth above a few MHz.

tinhead, is there a way to tell if the bandwidth change has been registered without a signal that would otherwise have been outside the scope's limits?

Offline morris6

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2029 on: September 30, 2013, 09:16:00 pm »
Hello Tinhead,

Today I found your modified firmware for the hw1007, firmware 2.x.x. MSO. A bit late, sorry; busy busy.

I like the way the LA is selected by the 'Help' button in stead of the 'F7' button. And the sample rate in view is a nice feature. Thanks for all that work.

Also you send a bug report to Hantek about duration trigger. This makes me wonder if there exists an 'official' bug list for the hw1007 MSO, later than the one you distributed about a year ago with the DSO to MSO revision package. There are still so many other bugs in the LA firmware. Did you notice the 'Black Hole' of about 2.5 us near the center of the LA traces when at 800ns /div?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2030 on: September 30, 2013, 09:26:01 pm »
Thanks for all that work.

it is pure fun :)

Also you send a bug report to Hantek about duration trigger. This makes me wonder if there exists an 'official' bug list

the next time i will publish my bug list, i will let them first fix few things.
They have now free week, so i assume in 2 weeks or so.

Did you notice the 'Black Hole' of about 2.5 us near the center of the LA traces when at 800ns /div?

hmm, no, i don't see it. Try to make a screenshot of that, not that your display is broken :\
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline gmtii

« Reply #2031 on: September 30, 2013, 09:34:31 pm »
another custom fw intallation on a DSO5072P... working great!

thanks!

Offline bigmessowires

• Contributor
« Reply #2032 on: October 01, 2013, 01:44:52 am »
I just got my DSO5072P in the mail so if there's anything you'd like me to check out, BMOW, feel free to ask.

Lucky you! I don't think there's anything specific I need tested, but general impressions would be good. I just can't seem to decide between the DS5072P or the DS5062B (or something fancier like the Rigol DS1074z). The -72P has the advantage of being cheaper and not needing any kind of front end resistor tweaking, but the -62B has the advantage of long memory. I'm thinking that for debugging microcontroller stuff I might really benefit from the long memory, but not sure if it's really worth it.

I should probably just shut up and buy something already. :-)

Offline firehopper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2033 on: October 01, 2013, 02:51:27 am »

Lucky you! I don't think there's anything specific I need tested, but general impressions would be good. I just can't seem to decide between the DS5072P or the DS5062B (or something fancier like the Rigol DS1074z). The -72P has the advantage of being cheaper and not needing any kind of front end resistor tweaking, but the -62B has the advantage of long memory. I'm thinking that for debugging microcontroller stuff I might really benefit from the long memory, but not sure if it's really worth it.

well not only that, but the B possibly has the LA spot as well, so you could turn it into a MSO as well

Offline neggles

• Contributor
  • I like to make things
« Reply #2034 on: October 01, 2013, 05:03:22 am »

It actually showed up with the system language set to chinese, which I probably should have expected all things considered, and was easily remedied with a quick poking around in the menus. This thing supports a LOT of languages!

My general impressions are that it's really nice, though I haven't really had much cause to use it beyond some messing with a 30 year old 1Hz-3MHz function generator.

I honestly don't know if the long memory is worth the money - for what i'm planning to use it for I don't think it's particularly likely, as i'm not really interested in using it as a long-duration logic analyser & even 8KS provides significant zoom fidelity on relatively high frequency signals, never mind the 40KS max of the P or the multiple megasamples of the B models.

Probably :P I just bit the bullet and I am very happy with the results, especially for the price.

well not only that, but the B possibly has the LA spot as well, so you could turn it into a MSO as well

Ah, but he has a logic analyser already! http://www.bigmessowires.com/2008/01/17/logic-analyzeroscilloscope/ (what's the memory length on that thing anyway?)

That's possibly the only feature i'd miss, but since I'm not realistically going to build my own LA board, I decided it wasn't worth the money.

Once i'm at the point where I need more than this scope can offer I figure i'll pick up a Rigol DS2000-series scope. Even when that happens i'll probably keep the Hantek around because i'd be more comfortable throwing it in the back of my car to go places, for example.

EDIT: oh, and here's a screenshot of the probe compensation output :P
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 05:05:12 am by neggles »

Offline morris6

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2035 on: October 01, 2013, 09:55:59 am »

Did you notice the 'Black Hole' of about 2.5 us near the center of the LA traces when at 800ns /div?

hmm, no, i don't see it. Try to make a screenshot of that, not that your display is broken :\

I made some screenshots to show the 'hole':

Pic_45_1.gif at 2us/div shows a set of equally spaced pulses on traces D0-D7, D0 is also present on analog CH1.

Pic_45_2.gif at 800ns/div shows the same, but now a 'hole' appears near the center of the LA traces of about 2.5us, pulses on D7 and D0 are missing.

Pic_45_3.gif after a little Horizontal Shifting the pulse on D0 becomes visible 'out of the hole'. The 'hole' is at about 0.2 div right of center.

Offline morris6

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2036 on: October 01, 2013, 10:10:05 am »
Another funny one:

Pic_45_4.gif shows the same signal, now at 400ns/div. This looks really nice.

Pic_45_5.gif again the same, but now analog trace CH2 is deselected. This shifts the LA traces out of position. When Horizontal Shifting the traces the LA traces shift about twice the amount compared to the CH1 trace.

Offline bigmessowires

• Contributor
« Reply #2037 on: October 01, 2013, 02:25:47 pm »
Pic_45_1.gif at 2us/div shows a set of equally spaced pulses on traces D0-D7, D0 is also present on analog CH1.

Pic_45_2.gif at 800ns/div shows the same, but now a 'hole' appears near the center of the LA traces of about 2.5us, pulses on D7 and D0 are missing.

Pic_45_3.gif after a little Horizontal Shifting the pulse on D0 becomes visible 'out of the hole'. The 'hole' is at about 0.2 div right of center.

:wtf: I wasn't even considering the MSO, but that's the kind of data-altering firmware bug that should make anyone think twice about buying Hantek. It's definitely got me worried. I can live with occasional lockups or other little firmware glitches, but not something like this.

It's not only that the pulse on D0 disappears, but the timing of all the following pulses is completely wrong!  :o

Offline neggles

• Contributor
  • I like to make things
« Reply #2038 on: October 01, 2013, 02:48:49 pm »

:wtf: I wasn't even considering the MSO, but that's the kind of data-altering firmware bug that should make anyone think twice about buying Hantek. It's definitely got me worried. I can live with occasional lockups or other little firmware glitches, but not something like this.

It's not only that the pulse on D0 disappears, but the timing of all the following pulses is completely wrong!  :o

Oh wow. That's just... wow.

On the other hand, the logic analyzer is definitely an afterthought (and we DO only have one example of this occurring) so I don't think we're likely to have such issues with the in-much-wider-use DSO section, but still...

On an unrelated note I used my Hantek to debug some bits of my oneTesla ( http://onetesla.com/ ) musical DRSSTC earlier today and it worked swimmingly.

You can record a surprising length of logic pulses in 40K mode, too. I meant to save a screenshot but the file didn't show up on my flash drive, I guess the thing doesn't like exFAT.

Offline cosmos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2039 on: October 01, 2013, 03:10:04 pm »
Since you have a cyclic pattern it may hide that the analog trace you see is not in sync with the digital traces at all.  :palm:
There is a refresh missing after it displays the results and you can expect the digital traces to be those captured at the previous trigger.
(manually forcing a refresh makes it redraw with the correct and latest digital traces)

Offline bigmessowires

• Contributor
« Reply #2040 on: October 02, 2013, 04:32:54 am »
On the other hand, the logic analyzer is definitely an afterthought (and we DO only have one example of this occurring) so I don't think we're likely to have such issues with the in-much-wider-use DSO section, but still...

Yeah, you're probably right. But I'm still worried.  :-\

On an unrelated note I used my Hantek to debug some bits of my oneTesla ( http://onetesla.com/ ) musical DRSSTC earlier today and it worked swimmingly.

Musical Tesla coil? I like it!

Offline bigmessowires

• Contributor
« Reply #2041 on: October 04, 2013, 06:23:04 pm »
After lots of agonizing, I finally purchased a Rigol DS1074z. So no Hantek for me.  :(  $555 was more than I'd planned to spend, but the 4 channels, huge sample memory, RS232/I2C/SPI decoding, and other features were too hard to resist. I think that weird firmware bug in the Hantek MSO is what finally drove my decision, though I'm sure the Rigol will have its share of firmware bugs too.  ;D

Offline Allf

« Reply #2042 on: October 15, 2013, 05:00:07 am »
Hi,

I got a Hantek DSO5202BM.
hw 1.01
firmware 3.30.0(130.709.0)
I want to make a backup, just in case. Please help me: what tool are available, and how to juse it...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2043 on: October 15, 2013, 05:56:11 am »
for the new B/BM/BMV models wit SN > 15000 there is no backup tool yet available.
However, the "nanddump" is now integrated, so you can do it manually, something like this could work:

nanddump -o -b -f /mnt/udisk/dump/boot.bin /dev/mtd0
    nanddump -o -b -f /mnt/udisk/dump/logo.bin /dev/mtd1
    nanddump -o -b -f /mnt/udisk/dump/kernel.bin /dev/mtd2
    nanddump -o -b -f /mnt/udisk/dump/root.bin /dev/mtd3

Of course you need first to insert falsh drive into usb port and run these command from the shell

Offline Allf

« Reply #2044 on: October 15, 2013, 09:45:37 am »

With the tool from Peter http://peter.dreisiebner.at/dso-usb-tool/ to get virtual shell ?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 09:51:48 am by Allf »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2045 on: October 15, 2013, 12:39:10 pm »

With the tool from Peter http://peter.dreisiebner.at/dso-usb-tool/ to get virtual shell ?

right, you can use that tool or connect physically (via UART<->USB converter) to the shell.

Offline Attorney

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2046 on: October 15, 2013, 01:15:40 pm »
What is the current firmware release for the DSO5102B?  Mine is 2.06.3(130814.0).   Hardware version is: 10070x555583e8.

Has Hantek now leaped to firmware version 3.0 or is that just for new models?

Paul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2047 on: October 15, 2013, 01:20:57 pm »
What is the current firmware release for the DSO5102B?  Mine is 2.06.3(130814.0).   Hardware version is: 10070x555583e8.

Paul

you are on the latest FW for your model. Regards the 3.0 FW, afaik for now it is only for new models.

Offline Attorney

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2048 on: October 15, 2013, 02:49:55 pm »

Paul

you are on the latest FW for your model. Regards the 3.0 FW, afaik for now it is only for new models.

Thanks for the quick feedback.   Even if a version 3.0 firmware is released for older DSO5102s like mine, my fear is that it would include some form of protection against the BW upgrade many have been using, and equally as bad...no way to flash firmware back to Level 2.0.

Paul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2049 on: October 15, 2013, 04:56:30 pm »
Even if a version 3.0 firmware is released for older DSO5102s like mine, my fear is that it would include some form of protection against the BW upgrade many have been using, and equally as bad...no way to flash firmware back to Level 2.0.

there is no way to protect againt BW change only by software, so don't worry. Additionally this is ARM/Linux platform, you can always downgrade to what to ever you wish.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf