Author Topic: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free  (Read 2204712 times)

Offline selevo

Re: Hantek - Tekway - DSO hack - get 200MHz bw for free
« Reply #2275 on: April 25, 2014, 08:34:14 am »
hi all
What news about   hack logo  in  DSO5000P S/N >15000 ?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 04:32:41 pm by selevo »
В начале была мысль и только потом слово, дело и всё остальное.

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #2276 on: April 25, 2014, 09:57:49 pm »
I received a few days ago my new scope: a hantek dso1122s.

sorry, but where are pictures of the PCB?  :-// i think lot of people are curious how they made the channel isolation.

Yesterday decided to try the bandwidth hack, with my surprise, I found that hantek had 'already hacked my scope' ( the scope already had the file /dst1202b in it and the 2ns timebase is already available ).
Sadly the only thing I can do is change the 'name' of the scope ( i think I should have to change logotype anf logotype.dis )... but I'm too lazy for that.
In conclusion I'm not happy for what hantek did to my scope... ;-)

in the meantime Hantek changed already 3 times how the logo is being displayed and where they located, so for sure nothing with logotype.dis anymore. Yours seems to be the second last version, with logo compiled into frame buffer driver (so one need to recompile the GPL sources with new logo and replace the driver).

P.P.S. my unit was advertised as having 2M memory, but it has only 1M
that sucks, it should be 2M. It might be an licensing thing (not a problem to "fix" it, heh), but picture of the PCB would tell us more (if there is 2M memory then maybe they forgot to enable it)
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2277 on: April 25, 2014, 10:07:21 pm »
It was a used unit, I wasn't expecting the latest version,

yeah, i missed that "used" in your first post, sry.

I got it for about half the price compared to how much a new unit costs (at least for my area), so I thought to give it a try.

and that's ok

Do you believe the version I got (hw0) is vastly inferior (regarding signal accuracy / performance etc.) to the latest version (hw1007) Hantek DSO5102B?

the hw0 was actually the best hw, the cost reduction was applied later. However i/o port on hw0 was not giving so many possibilities (like LA or DDS or even 100Mbit ethernet - only 10Mbit was available). So as long you using it as is, it's everything ok. Sure, you can add 10Mbit ethernet, but that's all then.

However this looks to me like an older firmware version (so probably not worth it). I assume the number "120423" is a date code and means April 23rd 2012, is that correct?
yes

If I ever need a different firmware version, (I doubt it, your firmware 130814.1 works great, but I wanted to ask anyway) should I assume that Tekway firmwares (for the DST1102B) should work on my Hantek DSO5102B? Tekway's firmware filename is "dst1kb_2.06.3_01102b_fe(120423.0).up".
you can use any "B" model 2.06.3 firmware, you can NOT use any B model 3.x or any other version/revision (MSO, BM, BMV, P, etc).
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline astraios

• Contributor
« Reply #2278 on: April 26, 2014, 05:08:57 am »
Thanks for the information tinhead.
If I ever want to hack the oscilloscope to 200MHz, other than the file changes (renaming dst1102b to dst1202b, editing sys.inf, tmpdst, logotype, logotype.dis) do I need to also change anything in the hardware (resistors, capacitors etc.)?
If I'm not mistaken, hw1005 needed some resistors replaced to improve accuracy, I think it was mentioned in this thread. Does hw0 needs it too?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 07:24:54 am by astraios »

Offline simonmc

• Contributor
« Reply #2279 on: April 26, 2014, 07:24:22 am »
I have just ordered my scope yesterday. The seller has told me its hw rev 1010 and should be here in a couple of weeks. In the end i went for a standard dso5102b rather than the bm or bmv model. That way i could get the wife some bits for the garden and keep in her good books.. :D

Offline davidefa

• Contributor
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 03:41:06 pm by davidefa »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2281 on: April 26, 2014, 03:50:07 pm »
Here a few, not so good, photos of one side of the hantek dso1122s board:

the other side please as well :)

P.S. by the way I'm looking for the sd socket, have you got a suitable part number ( or farnel/mouser code )

digikey 101-00303-68 was good for non-s models, i think it does fit on yours as well

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2282 on: April 26, 2014, 05:53:51 pm »
Here a few, not so good, photos of one side of the hantek dso1122s board:

now when compared to dso1102b (hw1.01 with old SoC) one can see that they moved some parts to bottom side of PCB, i like that, it was before somehow overloaded. They improved a bit the distance and isolatin between DMM and DSO. One is however still bit strange, that one screew between two DMM terminals, they destroying the distance with that screw :\

Wondering why you got DSO with these small fuses, i had such fuses only on model for chinese market, on one for EU market Hantek used proper big fuses, see my pictures (do not wonder about the solder residues, i shot pictures middle of PCB repair/mod).
No idea if this is still the case, but gosch, on a wonderfull isolated DSO such fuses for DMM is bad ass thing, shame on them if that the "new EU version".

Offline fremen67

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2283 on: April 27, 2014, 01:07:04 pm »
btw, something completty offtopic - did anyone recognized that Hantek have now new AWGs? e.g. HDG2002B, this is the cheapest model, but for me it looks like the DAC is running anyway same speed on all models, so maybe time to hack it ?:P

I don't have spare money to give a try, so hope someone will soon buy one and play a bit with them   >:D

I received mine last week. If someone is intereded I could post some photos of the board.
The software hack for unlocking frequencies is very simple. You just have to change the model name in the system.inf  (now in /etc) and reboot...
So I just replaced HDG2002B with HDG2102B to get 100Mhz instead of 5Mhz.
At the moment I don't know if there is also some hardware mod to do (a 100Mhz sine of 2V amp is shown with 300mV amp on my MSO5062D with PP-200 Hantek probe, but I didn't mod the frontend yet)
Still have some some work in progress on my MSO ;-)

« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 01:19:35 pm by fremen67 »
I'm a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But I'm trapped in this absurd body!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2284 on: April 27, 2014, 01:42:54 pm »
btw, something completty offtopic - did anyone recognized that Hantek have now new AWGs? e.g. HDG2002B, this is the cheapest model, but for me it looks like the DAC is running anyway same speed on all models, so maybe time to hack it ?:P

I don't have spare money to give a try, so hope someone will soon buy one and play a bit with them   >:D

I received mine last week. If someone is intereded I could post some photos of the board.
The software hack for unlocking frequencies is very simple. You just have to change the model name in the system.inf  (now in /etc) and reboot...
At the moment I don't know if there is also some hardware mod to do (a 100Mhz sine of 2V amp is shown with 300mV amp on my MSO5062D with PP-200 Hantek probe, but I didn't mod the frontend yet)

holy shit! please make a new topic on that, this is really awesome!size]

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2285 on: April 27, 2014, 09:24:32 pm »
Damn, I only recently got a Siglent SDG1025 which if only hackable would only go from 25 to 50MHz on sine wave only. That new Hantek looks great! 100MHz from a 5MHz arb gen?  :-+

I wonder if Hantek make their stuff deliberately modifiable to entice the hacker community? After all, no corporate would even dream of hacking their equipment. Good marketing if you ask me!

Anyway, something I have noticed recently, my MSO5102D seems to be losing a half hour here and there on its RTC. I find this really weird. Like it's now 21:44 on the 'scope while it's actually 22:20 now. Date is ok.

Hang on a sec, I think I may have worked it out just this second  :-+. Does the Hantek use a typical lithium battery backup for the RTC, or is it using a standby circuit? I've often had to unplug the mains to use for some other piece of equipment. I hope that is all it is! But the power button appears to be a proper DPDT mains shut-off from the feel and click of it  :-BROKE

ETA: Just checked Tinheads excellent schematics and indeed it does use a CR2032 backup battery keeping a typical 32.768kHz crystal running, so I don't know why it keeps losing time, hmm...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 09:39:45 pm by Macbeth »

Offline simonmc

• Contributor
« Reply #2286 on: April 27, 2014, 10:04:03 pm »
That looks really nice. And from what i can see just under £200. That really does need a new topic as i was just looking for a generator. I need to know more about this. Sounds sad but it would even match the scope i just ordered.. >:D Edit, not really correct, i looked at too many scopes, but this does look good if its all hackable.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 10:16:47 pm by simonmc »

Offline fremen67

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2287 on: April 27, 2014, 10:13:24 pm »

Well I will try to make something. I just need to find some time. :)
I'm a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But I'm trapped in this absurd body!

Offline fremen67

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2288 on: April 27, 2014, 10:18:13 pm »
Sounds sad but it would even match the scope i just ordered.. >:D

I know what you are talking about...I bought it to match my MSO5062D   ;)

Offline simonmc

• Contributor
« Reply #2289 on: April 27, 2014, 10:44:27 pm »
Sounds sad but it would even match the scope i just ordered.. >:D

I know what you are talking about...I bought it to match my MSO5062D   ;)
I would love to see a pic of them together on the bench. That new case looks good. Hantek seem to have the best looking GUI's of 'low cost' test equipment by far.... and they are hackable. Love it.

Offline henno10000

« Reply #2290 on: April 28, 2014, 03:48:19 pm »
Hi, I'm a newbie to the forum. I trained as an electronic engineer many years ago, and returning after a long career in IT management, to pursue this as a hobby. Hence, I'm not completely up to date on the latest technologies. So, please forgive my ignorance and any apparent stupidity on my part :)

I'm interested in the MSO5074FG ... mainly for budget reasons. ($700 max )

I have read page 1, and now page 151 ( hence the edit ).

So, I can change a file name in root and get the 200MHz bandwidth ( after doing a backup which IS available in the software on SN 15000 upwards ) ???

Not worried about the logo screen, so that doesn't apply.

I downloaded the manual prior to finalizing a purchase decision and there is no obvious mention of a trigger output that I could use to trigger my USB logic analyzer. Does anyone have info on that please ????

Also, this scope is now $464 plus $80 shipping to USA... approx $80 cheaper than amazon, or USA dealers.

I know that this may be off topic, but I'm looking for a hackable MSO/DSO with Logic Analyzer that has good memory depth and that can trigger on SPI, I2C etc, and either, have a trigger output to trigger my USB logic analyzer ( which does have protocol analysis), or, output signals to a PC so that software protocol decoding can be done there. I know the RIGOL DSO will trigger on I2C and SPI, but won't decode. Given the level of activity and knowledge on the Hantek scopes I assumed that someone must have the same desires as me.

If i need to start a new thread then I apologize.

Thanks
Henno
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 04:12:17 am by henno10000 »
The definition of insanity : Doing the same thing time and time again and expecting the result to change.

Offline wolfienuke

• Contributor
« Reply #2291 on: April 29, 2014, 05:35:02 am »
I'm interested in the MSO5074FG ... mainly for budget reasons. ($700 max )

I have read page 1, and now page 151 ( hence the edit ).

So, I can change a file name in root and get the 200MHz bandwidth ( after doing a backup which IS available in the software on SN 15000 upwards ) ???
Unfortunately, I have the MSO5074FG and the bandwidth hack is not as simple. Yes, the software hack works as is for other Hantek DSO's but there are hardware limitations...

Near ADCs (that two ICs on top and two on bottom, each of them with small heatsink) on top and bottom there are on each side two ICs, on one of the pictures i think i can read NXP and HEF4053. If that's the case, one have to replace them by e.g TI CD74HC4053 to get more bandwidth, these NXP ICs they only good to 70MHz.

From your pictures i can tell you alrady that the acually used the new "B" model platform, added two extra channels, added necessary logic for triggering, repalced the two channel-mux relais with 4pcs of i think HEF4053 (which is for 70MHz bw ok), added an small DDS PCB and that's all. Where the LA is connected, no idea (as said above, can't see from the pictures).

So for sure it will not do 2GS/s but 1x1GS/s, 2x500MS/s and 3/4 x 250MS/s, so like Rigol DS1000Z. Why they not used the same ADC as Rigol is using, no idea, from price point of view should be same. The good think is, it looks like they changed the way the FPGA is clocking, they added two mif files for the PLL, they can be externally loaded, so it looks for me that they trid to improve the ADC clocking, which is good think. Anyway, we wil see (well, you) how that baby performs.
Most likely, the bandwidth hack for this model may require a faster multiplexer with matching pin configuration and possibly removal of input capacitors on the frontend (I haven't looked at that yet).

If you are looking for a MSO/DSO that is easily hackable, you should probably look at another model.

After this semester ends, I will have a lot of info to report on the MSO-5074FG...

I downloaded the manual prior to finalizing a purchase decision and there is no obvious mention of a trigger output that I could use to trigger my USB logic analyzer. Does anyone have info on that please ????
The scope does not have the ability to output a trigger signal AFAIK.

I know that this may be off topic, but I'm looking for a hackable MSO/DSO with Logic Analyzer that has good memory depth and that can trigger on SPI, I2C etc, and either, have a trigger output to trigger my USB logic analyzer ( which does have protocol analysis), or, output signals to a PC so that software protocol decoding can be done there. I know the RIGOL DSO will trigger on I2C and SPI, but won't decode. Given the level of activity and knowledge on the Hantek scopes I assumed that someone must have the same desires as me.
The MSO5074FG does not have logic decoding functionality or protocol based triggering. The logic analyzer is very basic, but I am looking into outputing recorded data to a PC based decoding tool. The ability to do logic decoding is possible in the future , but right now, the logic analyzer is bare-bones.

I believe the recorded logic data can be saved to csv, or dumped raw via usb protocol. I have not messed with the analyzer that much yet, and like you I have plans on finding a easy way to decode recorded logic protocol data from the MSO.

Also, this scope is now $464 plus $80 shipping to USA... approx $80 cheaper than amazon, or USA dealers.
Got mine 15% off, $505.95 USD shipped.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 05:56:11 am by wolfienuke »

Offline henno10000

« Reply #2292 on: April 29, 2014, 03:18:50 pm »
@Wolfienuke - Thank you for your detailed reply. It is much appreciated.

I have a Zeroplus 16032 which has been "upgraded" to the 16128 model, has approx 40 or so protocol decodes now, and so you may well be asking why would I want an MSO ?? Well, I like a challenge, and getting the scope to output data for software decode sounded like a good idea, which can also be verified against the existing LA. Also, an AWG for almost free is a budget consideration, as is 200MHZ bandwidth.

All this is moot now with the answers you raised. So, I think i will try to find a RIGOL 2072 or 2072A and just have an MSO with good memory and feature set. I found an Ebay auction for a TEK 7903 via the For Sale section here, so I may well be lucky and end up with 2 scopes ( assuming I win ).

Thank you to all those who offer advice and time in this section.
Henno

« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 03:27:01 pm by henno10000 »
The definition of insanity : Doing the same thing time and time again and expecting the result to change.

Offline simonmc

• Contributor
« Reply #2293 on: May 01, 2014, 06:13:30 pm »
Well I'm very happy. My dso5102b arrived today. That's 4 day after my notification of it being shipped from China to my door. Not done much with it yet bar turning it on and playing but first impressions are good. I'm going to get use to the scope and its capability's before doing anything else.  Attached is my first screen shot. :) :)

Offline simonmc

• Contributor
« Reply #2294 on: May 03, 2014, 05:42:30 pm »
The latest firmware on the Hantek site contains dso5kb_func_dso5102b20140111.up. Can you more knowledgeable people tell me if this is the same as what i have, or is it an update from what I have installed?? (see picture in my last post). From the numbers it looks like an update but will it be suitable for my revision 1010 machine??. I Think I read somewhere further back, that someone bricked there scope with a update that was unsuitable. Last thing i want to do is screw up my scope!! :-// :-//

Offline astraios

• Contributor
« Reply #2295 on: May 03, 2014, 06:51:38 pm »
The latest firmware on the Hantek site contains dso5kb_func_dso5102b20140111.up. Can you more knowledgeable people tell me if this is the same as what i have, or is it an update from what I have installed?? (see picture in my last post). From the numbers it looks like an update but will it be suitable for my revision 1010 machine??. I Think I read somewhere further back, that someone bricked there scope with a update that was unsuitable. Last thing i want to do is screw up my scope!! :-// :-//
Based on the screenshot you uploaded in your previous message, your firmware version is 3.30.0(130928.0)
If I'm not mistaken, the 130928 number is a date and means September 28th 2013.
The number 20140111 of the filename dso5kb_func_dso5102b20140111.up is a date and means January 11th 2014.
Therefore I suppose the firmware on Hantek's site must be a newer version.
It should be compatible with your scope, but I can't be 100% sure, I can't test it. My scope is an older hardware version (hw0) and it uses a different firmware.

Offline fremen67

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2296 on: May 04, 2014, 01:23:09 am »

Diner is served!
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-hdg2002b-awg-5mhz-or-100mhz-let's-see!/

Offline bassbang

« Reply #2297 on: May 04, 2014, 01:53:40 am »
Hi all, newbie:
Wolfienuke post #2292.
I just bought a Hantek MSO5074F model (no function generator) and am keen to back it up before I mess with it. I am not exactly sure which utility is best suited, TinHead mentions that they are a 4-channel version of the B variants.

If you (or TinHead) can stand detailing which backup file should be used on a USB stick for this model I would be grateful.
I am happy to open the box and take pictures etc, been up to my guts in electronics (including high voltage) for many years.

The menu in the device reports the following:
MSO5074F:
Soft Version 3.2.35 (140219.0)
Hard Version 10020x54028205
Serial No T1G/654 000 173.

Initial impressions:
I had a Hantek DSO5072P previously which I found completely acceptable. At work I use Tektronix MSO 4 channel scopes ($4000 plus).

Hantek Plus:
* One knob per function, really easy to see waveforms without screwing around. The Tektronix MSO scopes are less old-fashioned intuitive, multiple menu levels to get knobs to work.
* Screen resolution - very nice.
* USB Save - easy. On the DSO5072P this was a dedicated button (good) , on the MSO5074F it's not (bad). It requires a menu item, then it copies the screen image including the menu item when you dump to USB.
Hantek Minus:
* Still has a lot of lock-ups and inconsistencies in the menu system.
* Triggering is a bit random, sometimes it's very hard to get it to trigger. If you hit the Auto Set button it gets it into shape.
* Horizontal offset only goes up to 2.3mS, regardless of your timebase, so on long timebases it's effectively zero. This must surely be fixed in future firmware.
* Included PC software - unbelievably bad, looks like Tektronix Wavestar (which was also hideous) but seems unable to reload any waveform files you may have saved. I've tried DSO-USB Tool and it works fine, with the exception of only showing 2 channels instead of 4.
* PC app also stores waveforms in .wfm format which does not load in Tektronix software so far as I can tell, so I am interested if anyone has a conversion utility (couldn't find one in a quick search).

Wolfienuke: you mentioned some more detail shortly, I am keen to see it. Could offer collaboration (with your guidance) if it's any help.

TinHead, I see a quote about some chip details but I can't find that post:
"Near ADCs (that two ICs on top and two on bottom, each of them with small heatsink) on top and bottom " etc.

Would you guys mind pointing me to the post ( or other forum) where this dialog took place?

Finally, TinHead, many thanks for your effort on all of this, I am sure you have saved a lot of people a ton of grief.

Offline benjamin545

• Contributor
« Reply #2298 on: May 04, 2014, 05:48:52 am »
i am interested in getting a MSO5074FG eventually because of the relatively low price for a 4 channel oscilloscope + logic analyzer + function generator all in one non pc based solution. u understand its not the best scope out there, but i want to know if there is any sort of outstanding flaw with this hardware. is the reading reliable? is it common for it to not meet its specs? i can handle the occasional crashes or whatever, i just want to make sure i know when it looks like its working can i rely in the information its showing me.

Offline Kevin Liu

• Contributor
    • LPKF ProtoMat User Club
« Reply #2299 on: May 07, 2014, 03:49:39 am »
Hi ~
Does anyone can help me, I need rescue my Hantek DSO5062B.
I did something stupid and crash my full flash include bootloader.
How can I rebuild flash? I don't have any bootloader or flash image.
Does anyone can dump one to me.
I have an OpenJTAG.
Thanks a lot.

PS. The attachment photo is the last boot.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf