Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2801200 times)

ddrl46 and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #6500 on: June 08, 2018, 02:00:59 pm »
No need to bite.
Just personal interest in human machine interfacing using EMG and EOG (via EEG would be nice but a bit too complex and unreliable to my liking. Even though, I'll probably try the EEG just for fun)

I'll probably try it as a lie detector too, for fun.

There are probably all sorts of other uses to put those units to. The EMG for recording muscle twitches must be a pretty sensitive amplifier, and then you have airflow sensors and piezo ones to detect chest-wall movement. The amplifiers should all be isolated, too. Nice find! I bet some of the interiors are worth a looky.

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6501 on: June 08, 2018, 02:04:54 pm »

There's more like teardowns of all the boxes, check the video list if interested.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: GerryBags

Offline cat87

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6502 on: June 08, 2018, 02:27:29 pm »
Bendba,  that's amazing. That thing for just 10 dollars.... my god.  Do they mave more? :D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6503 on: June 08, 2018, 02:46:29 pm »
Back in the day most keyboards and mice come with usb adapters. we had few 100 adapters floating around the network/IT store room - iirc the most usb - PS2 adapters are not active anyway, its just a pin changer

Its not a true ps2 mouse unless it has a ball  ;D ;D
Constantly used to have to take them out and clean the bleeding rollers, so glad I went optical now.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #6504 on: June 08, 2018, 03:20:11 pm »
Constantly used to have to take them out and clean the bleeding rollers, so glad I went optical now.
Haha... This mouse has a ball - to me the only drawback. Optical mice (when done right) is a huge leap forward in usability. 
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #6505 on: June 08, 2018, 06:22:15 pm »
A scanning electron microscope, complete with what appears to be complete schematics, for $10.
Yes, $10. Yes, I picked it up. And yes, it is the real thing, not just a picture.

Of course I'll have to do a separate thread about it, with heaps of photo, and pictures once it's set up and working.

Woah! :o Looking forward to that thread.

What will be the first thing you "scan" in it?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6506 on: June 08, 2018, 06:35:04 pm »
A scanning electron microscope, complete with what appears to be complete schematics, for $10.
Yes, $10. Yes, I picked it up. And yes, it is the real thing, not just a picture.

Of course I'll have to do a separate thread about it, with heaps of photo, and pictures once it's set up and working.

Yes, impressive!

Oh! And this polysomnograph, nearly forgot about it with the excitement of the microscope. Unfortunately without a chart recorder. But all the manuals for all the different amplifiers

Even more awesome!  Grass Instruments gear from that era are the physiology test equipment equivalent to Tektronix scopes from that era (1950s - 1990s).  :-+

FWIW - Here's an interesting history of Albert Grass and the founding of Grass instruments.  The Grass fellow Ricardo Miledi mentioned and pictured in the paper was one of my Grad school mentors.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 06:46:02 pm by mtdoc »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6507 on: June 08, 2018, 08:17:05 pm »
Haha... This mouse has a ball - to me the only drawback. Optical mice (when done right) is a huge leap forward in usability.
And then only so far until you discover a Trackman Wheel or wireless Trackball.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #6508 on: June 09, 2018, 12:41:27 am »
And then only so far until you discover a Trackman Wheel or wireless Trackball.  :)
Yeah, I should have said that I consider a drawback only when the ball is under the mouse. :-DD

I mentioned this somewhere around here; I really liked Logitech's trackball marble but I started to develop fatigue on my thumb muscles and had to stop using it. Minesweeper on Windows 3.11 was one of the reasons for this.

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6509 on: June 09, 2018, 01:21:06 am »
Yeah, I should have said that I consider a drawback only when the ball is under the mouse. :-DD

I mentioned this somewhere around here; I really liked Logitech's trackball marble but I started to develop fatigue on my thumb muscles and had to stop using it. Minesweeper on Windows 3.11 was one of the reasons for this.
I remember you saying so.
Isn't a marble the one with the ball in the middle ?
I looked at those and immediately thought they would cause RSI whereas the ones with the ball on the side where it can only be used with your thumb and the ergonomic shape allows you to 'rest' your arm when your hand is planted on it. We really like these and would replace them in an instant should they ever stop working.
A buddy I convinced to get the wireless Trackball can't believe he got used to it so quickly and it was the perfect solution for using a mouse on the armrest of his recliner where he uses his 48" PnP TV as a monitor too.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #6510 on: June 09, 2018, 01:59:36 am »
Logitech called their first thumb operated trackball as "marble" - something shown at the following link:
http://xahlee.info/kbd/logitech_trackman_marble_wheel_trackball.html

I had the first version without the scroll button and a serial port. More modern versions with USB and wireless, but still with the same basic shape are still sold new today.
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-910-001799-Wireless-Trackball-M570/dp/B0043T7FXE/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_bs_t_1

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6511 on: June 09, 2018, 05:24:13 am »
FWIW, I own both the version that doesn't have a scroll wheel, and one that does (c. 1994 for both), and still use the latter one to this day.  :-+

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6512 on: June 09, 2018, 05:34:29 am »
FWIW, I own both the version that doesn't have a scroll wheel, and one that does (c. 1994 for both), and still use the latter one to this day.  :-+
:-+
With the Setpoint driver package you can reassign the buttons and a fav configuration we have is to set the scroll wheel button to Alt+Left which is Back in browsers and many other Window programs.
Man, does it speed up browser work.  :) No need to keep chasing up to the top left for that bl**dy back arrow.  :rant:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6513 on: June 09, 2018, 05:38:55 am »

Likewise! My non-wheel version is an old RS-232 variety. The one with the wheel is USB and I wouldn't give it up — no way, no how. The only thing I find more convenient with a mouse is drawing. Otherwise, I like my Trackman.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6514 on: June 09, 2018, 05:48:32 am »
:-+
With the Setpoint driver package you can reassign the buttons and a fav configuration we have is to set the scroll wheel button to Alt+Left which is Back in browsers and many other Window programs.
Man, does it speed up browser work.  :) No need to keep chasing up to the top left for that bl**dy back arrow.  :rant:
I use a different cheat for that in the form of a Microsoft 4000 keyboard (dedicated Forward and Back buttons).  >:D

Any trick helps, especially with an ultra wide monitor.  ;D

Likewise! My non-wheel version is an old RS-232 variety. The one with the wheel is USB and I wouldn't give it up — no way, no how. The only thing I find more convenient with a mouse is drawing. Otherwise, I like my Trackman.
Both of mine are RS-232 over a PS/2 connector.

My current main board has PS/2 connectors for keyboard and mouse, but I also have the right USB adapters as well.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6515 on: June 09, 2018, 05:59:32 am »

It surprises me not more people have taken to them like we have.  :-//
We've got a couple of these:

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6516 on: June 09, 2018, 06:00:15 am »
That's the one I'm using right now. :-+

Correction: Mine has goofy red lights beside the trackball. But, close enough.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 06:03:45 am by bitseeker »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6517 on: June 09, 2018, 08:39:29 am »
That's the one I'm using right now. :-+

Correction: Mine has goofy red lights beside the trackball. But, close enough.
I've had that kind of trackball mouse before and also the torpedo type with the ball on top. Beautifully made and feels nice to touch. I got because desk space was tight for conventional mouse, but found them pigs to work with so went back to to standard mouse again.

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6518 on: June 09, 2018, 08:52:05 am »

Woah! :o Looking forward to that thread.

What will be the first thing you "scan" in it?

Can't wait to see that thing being kindled up and working! Awesome find buddy!
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline MattSR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6519 on: June 09, 2018, 09:12:06 am »
Dug up a box of 25 Hirose connectors I got on eBay about 10 years ago.

The connectors retail for $45 or so at Element 14, but I found 25 of them for about $50 for the lot.

Finally got around to soldering one up to my prototype last night.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6520 on: June 09, 2018, 11:46:04 am »
So this arrived yesterday and today....

Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #6521 on: June 09, 2018, 03:21:34 pm »
Bought two and a half Herman Miller "Aeron" chairs today :)

They need some love, but I am very excited!
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #6522 on: June 09, 2018, 03:46:03 pm »
one fluke 867B for ... 100€ ! fully functionnal. needs a battery now.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6523 on: June 09, 2018, 06:31:52 pm »
Strictly it was brought yesterday in an on-line auction from what was, prior to Philips pulling out of the UK, a fully functioning research lab so it should be ok and calibrated but time will tell on that one when I get the OK to drive to Cambridge and pick it from the lab. Chomping at the bit to go and collect it now and find out all about it  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6524 on: June 09, 2018, 06:56:07 pm »
Looks to be in great condition, Spec. I look forward to hearing all about what you find out about it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf