Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2801044 times)

wkb, jhenderson0107 and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline impetus_maximus

• Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #11150 on: April 21, 2022, 05:11:17 pm »
Of course, you can also spend a lot more on a similar Pelican or clone case as well. ;)
a third option. spend more and get a free firearm with the case.  :P
So you then have another hobby to waste time & money on, & still have to buy another case for the firearm.
waste?  ::)

Offline nightfire

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11151 on: April 21, 2022, 10:24:51 pm »
Today arrived some small spontaneous find from ebay- new adaptors from 4mm to flexible wire, and some probes as the same seller got some- from my beloved MC/Stäubli ;-)

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11152 on: April 22, 2022, 12:24:30 pm »
I got one of those Sony IMX sensor based HD Usb cameras.  Gives a resolution 3264x2448.  Streaming with a Raspberry PI 3 gives about 0.3fps at that resolution.  However it does only claim a 30fps rate at stupid low res.  So, nice sensor, nice price, either rubbish processor or the PI can't actually handle that bit rate, not worked it out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magepixel-Varifocal-Webcamera-Difinition-Industrial/dp/B08JTS9KB2/

The lens is all sorts of weird.  It says 5mm to 50mm, but that's entirely fictional.  It seems it's closest focus distance is about 0.25m, but no where near as wide as a 5mm lens.  This might be that I need to first normalize the focal length with the sensor size, but to me it looks more like a 30mm to a 150mm lense. 

I can't give you much input on overall quality, because I immediately put it into service watching the pepper seedlings.  So it's about the worst possible scenario for one of those cameras.  A high red+blue spiked 'white spectrum' 30W LED light.  Shiny metal reflective background.  Opened in a photo editor the spectal curve shows the massive spikes, but also some more disturbing bouncing in the lower red spectrum.  Again, it not exactly the best environment and I should really take it out in bright sunlight and see what it can do.

As a camera intended to just keep an eye on things, I think it works far, far, far, better than any cheap (or expensive) webcam for the purpose.  Not "cheap" cheap at £80 UK, but you can get the bareboards + microlens, maker style boards for about £35.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline hli

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11153 on: April 22, 2022, 12:36:09 pm »
A Pimoroni MLX90640 thermal camera breakout. 24x32 pixel do not make it a FLiR, but as a poor-mans thermal camera it should be fine (together with a RPi Zero 2, a small TFT and some Python magic).
Mouser shipped it out within one hour of ordering, and the Fedex took 2 weeks to actually deliver it :(

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #11154 on: April 22, 2022, 12:38:27 pm »
Heck, been a while, work stuff and life overall, not forgetting the family.

Electronics related stuff bought in the last months:

• Fluke TL224 plus Fluke TP220 directly from a Fluke Authorized Dealer in Shenzhen (checked with Fluke China offices and was confirmed) that was closing because of the CoVID limitations that turn the business into more expenses than profit - 200RMB;
  • A set of 10x 4mm banana leads from ETA, model number ETA4363B - 240RMB;

"Supposedly" rated CATIII 1000V - 25A ( :-\). Construction overall is good, silicone cable as the normal test leads, with double insulation, white on the inside and colour on the outside. Plugs are robust, nickel plated copper with good construction and size/grip. Resistance of each lead under 0.08Ohm, measured in the High Res Mode of the Fluke 87V.

Cable markings are the following:

Yes they are not Stäubli MC, Hirschmann, Schützinger, Promona Electronics or Probemaster. But they are a step above the crap I see being sold in the Huaqiangbei markets.

ETA's products look not bad! I've bought their LCR extension cables, and some ground springs on oscilloscope probes, for various brands and models.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11155 on: April 22, 2022, 03:01:20 pm »

ETA's products look not bad! I've bought their LCR extension cables, and some ground springs on oscilloscope probes, for various brands and models.

They look fine to be sincere, but the quote of CATIII 1000V 25A is the only think that I have doubts of. They will be good for 10A, but further testing should be done to really see what they are capable off.

It would need some testing as Joe Smith done to test leads in this video (he's an user on this forum) - https://youtu.be/fQowDZstguw

If we go from what the manufacturer states in their website: http://en.tw-eta.com/index.php?c=show&id=77

The ETA 15KVA cable is a 300 strands per 0.08mm each strand in a 3.9mm outer diameter (copper plus double insulation). It should in theory do the 25A mentioned but we know how over optimistic Chinese are...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 03:39:52 pm by Black Phoenix »

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #11156 on: April 22, 2022, 05:06:42 pm »
A Pimoroni MLX90640 thermal camera breakout. 24x32 pixel do not make it a FLiR, but as a poor-mans thermal camera it should be fine (together with a RPi Zero 2, a small TFT and some Python magic).
Mouser shipped it out within one hour of ordering, and the Fedex took 2 weeks to actually deliver it :(
This is something I would be very interested in following; I had an idea for similar abuse of one of the postage-stamp-sized SAMD21 boards. I picked up a few QT-PY and the seeed equiv a while back when I got a bug up my arse to try MicroPython cuz so cheap for so much more power than Ardu. Alas, it was even harder for me to wrap my brain around this time than a couple decades ago. :-[

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #11157 on: April 23, 2022, 05:20:45 pm »
62pcs 3/32" Metalballs for the tektronix A6302 probe...
Need only one, but on other hand, I got 61 attempts left.. 8)

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline impetus_maximus

• Contributor
« Reply #11158 on: April 23, 2022, 05:35:18 pm »
found a seller that ships what is shown. (no reseller adverts on the label)  :-+
my new iSesamo spudger.
1469941-0

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Ground_Loop

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11159 on: April 23, 2022, 06:05:37 pm »
I bought an hour meter with this attached.  :)

1470112-0

1470013-1
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 08:13:20 pm by Ground_Loop »
There's no point getting old if you don't have stories.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, mnementh

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11160 on: April 24, 2022, 02:41:14 am »
I bought an hour meter with this attached.  :)

Is it a Raptor or is it a Hustler? Or does it hustle raptors whilst acting all Ram Tough (tm). Such a ferociously named machine for attacking a few blades of defenseless grass. I wonder did the grass ever do to you.?
 I cut my lawn with a green earth  baby whale saver electric lawn mower. It meets the approval of my radical lesbian neighbor couple. I sure as hell don't want to make them angrier with me then they already are. You have no idea of the repercussions.

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11161 on: April 24, 2022, 04:06:58 am »
Samsung galaxy s22 ultra, and an otterbox defender. I usually use the commuters, but this is a pricey phone.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11162 on: April 26, 2022, 03:51:02 pm »
Some more stuff from some months ago:

Still waiting for a good deal to buy some Knipex and Wera tools I need. I'm going to retire my Felo set as work tools (probably even get one more DMM, still don't know).

Also on the look for a good soldering station to exchange my old "Made in England" Antex CS18 that I've been using since 2006, a bench PSU (probably an used Agilent or Aim-TTI) and some more stuff for some projects I have in my mind.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 04:48:50 pm by Black Phoenix »

Offline RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11163 on: April 26, 2022, 05:45:52 pm »
I bought a Philips PE-1510 Powersupply (0-35V/100mA-1).

Offline impetus_maximus

• Contributor
« Reply #11164 on: April 26, 2022, 06:05:59 pm »
UT383BT light meter arrived today. bought it to do light:watt ratios for LED light bulbs, and flashlights as well as runtime logging.
not sure if i'm going to go styrofoam cooler, or lumen tube (PVC). yes it's a cheap meter and not good for commercial work, but good 'nuff for me. 
1472056-0
has materials known to cause cancer in California. Luckily i don't live there. :p
it's powered by AAA batteries which i hate. seems to work fine with NiMH though. will probably convert it to USB with a diode or something.
the iENV2.0 app defaults to Chinese  :palm: thanks to Marat Bakeev for helping how to change it to english. (even though the menu is top LEFT, not right)
1472062-11472068-21472074-3
the app also needs location enabled on android. it's a requirement by android OS not the app makers apparently.  >:(
if i rotate my phone to show the graph like i saw in a demo, the app exits.  ???
1472080-4

so far i'm liking it. wish i could rotate the phone for the graphs though.

Offline SpacedCowboy

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aging physicist
« Reply #11165 on: April 26, 2022, 07:59:59 pm »
This week is turning into an expensive week...

I ordered a Rigol MSO8104 which is due to ship out tomorrow, and I've scheduled a meeting with Altium to discuss getting a permanent license for their software.

Can anyone tell that the wife has gone to visit relatives ? :)

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore, Martin72

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11166 on: April 26, 2022, 09:21:18 pm »
Sounds like some RRT (Reduced Rational Thinking) leading to DBA (Drained Bank Account) soon to be hitting up against BOT (Boundaries of Toleration).

Hopefully it arrives when SWMBO is not around and you can SECRET (Surreptitiously Enjoying Covertly Received Ebay Transactions) yourself away with your new acquisition.  :-DD

TEAnonymous Glossary

mnem

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, Cubdriver, Mortymore, Black Phoenix, SpacedCowboy

Offline impetus_maximus

• Contributor
« Reply #11167 on: April 26, 2022, 09:28:17 pm »
i don't have that problem. what is the old adage? 'no wife, happy life'

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #11168 on: April 26, 2022, 09:37:53 pm »

They say that married men live longer than their unmarried counterparts, but married men are also much more willing to die...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline impetus_maximus

• Contributor
« Reply #11169 on: April 26, 2022, 09:49:54 pm »
They say that married men live longer than their unmarried counterparts, but married men are also much more willing to die...

-Pat
lol

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #11170 on: April 26, 2022, 11:09:40 pm »

-Pat

Why do men die before women? Because they want to.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Cubdriver, impetus_maximus

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #11171 on: April 27, 2022, 02:31:05 am »
Bought an iPhone 12 mini for my wife, it seems to be the cheapest one with MagSafe on the market.

Offline MikeK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11172 on: April 27, 2022, 02:44:25 am »
Bought two used Instek GDM-8135 multimeters for $15/each.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11173 on: April 27, 2022, 11:34:34 am »

-Pat

Married men don't live longer, it just feels longer!

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11174 on: April 27, 2022, 01:33:36 pm »
They say that married men live longer than their unmarried counterparts, but married men are also much more willing to die...   -Pat
Married men don't live longer, it just feels longer!   McBryce.

20 years. Still wings over tail in love with my wife, and I know I'd have died of smoking at least a decade ago if she hadn't made me quit. And best of all, she's a TE enabler.  >:D

mnem

"You're still the one..."
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 02:19:41 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Nominal Animal, SpacedCowboy

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf