Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2805004 times)

BILLPOD and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #2475 on: January 11, 2017, 04:58:34 am »
I went completely bananas at the supermarket and filled the lolly jar with butterscotch, barley sugar and lemon sherbets.   :popcorn:

Sweet! :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Falkra

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2476 on: January 11, 2017, 08:12:17 am »
No banana plugs ?

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2477 on: January 11, 2017, 09:55:53 am »
Those Coles bananas actually taste OK, not made in china either.

You should check out the Coles $2/bag choc coated peanuts as well (also not made in china).

The following users thanked this post: Muttley Snickers

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #2478 on: January 11, 2017, 11:13:25 am »
@M-Snickers :-+  Remember Glucose is the true brain food!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline dvdouden

• Contributor
  • 0 != 0!
« Reply #2479 on: January 12, 2017, 08:26:11 pm »
Office decoration: a shot of a Z80 die (by zeptobars) printed as a 100 x 100 cm poster. Total magnification is 200+ish.  8)

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #2480 on: January 12, 2017, 09:14:11 pm »
Office decoration: a shot of a Z80 die (by zeptobars) printed as a 100 x 100 cm poster. Total magnification is 200+ish.  8)

We once printed out a nice full-color composite die plot of an early Pentium at something like 1000x(?).  We had to clear out a large section of the cafeteria to lay all the strips of paper out and tape them together.  And even with a plot 30ft / 10m square, the transistors were maybe 1-2 pixels and indistinguishable.  And I believe that was even the "shrink" ("tick" of tick-tock) version of the product.

Offline slicendice

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2481 on: January 12, 2017, 10:33:11 pm »
LOL, awesome! Maybe I will make some printouts too and make some wallpaper out of it! Wonder what my wife would think of that.  All CPU history printed on our walls :-DD

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #2482 on: January 13, 2017, 01:29:55 am »
They are doing exactly that at the office. Wallpapering with large die photos and mask plots.  It is quite attractive (at least to the high-tech audience here).  I would post some pictures, but cameras are forbidden on the entire campus.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2483 on: January 13, 2017, 01:33:10 am »
They are doing exactly that at the office. Wallpapering with large die photos and mask plots.  It is quite attractive (at least to the high-tech audience here).  I would post some pictures, but cameras are forbidden on the entire campus.
Sounds cool. Perhaps the interior decorators have some photos or samples for future referrals you could post or link to.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #2484 on: January 13, 2017, 02:57:47 am »
I'd like to see the die image on canvas, then pulled tight into a frame by pieces of thick black rope in place of the bond wires.
VE7FM

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #2485 on: January 13, 2017, 04:49:42 am »
We don't use bond wires anymore. We use "flip-chip" or C4 (controlled collapse chip connection).  Way too many pins these days to use that last-century connection method.

Offline 6581

• Supporter
« Reply #2486 on: January 13, 2017, 05:08:45 am »

EC2, EC3, EC5, MT30, MT60, HXT 4mm connectors and banana jacks. For those "future needs" that may never arise. But as it takes many moons to arrive from another side of the planet, you'll never know if these are just what I need when they appear in a smelly grey plastic bag.

As Mitch Hedberg (R.I.P.) said about oven potatoes, they take so long to make that sometimes you just throw couple in the oven - by the time they're done... :-)

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2487 on: January 13, 2017, 03:12:08 pm »
Hi 6581, would you mind telling me where you got the grey/red banana binding posts? A link?
How is the price and quality?

I buy quite a few and I'm paying waaaay too much!

Thanks.

Offline 6581

• Supporter
« Reply #2488 on: January 13, 2017, 04:05:41 pm »

The following users thanked this post: macboy, DTJ

Offline tkuhmone

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2489 on: January 13, 2017, 05:24:46 pm »
Camera gear - XL1 -> this is my last addition... To be precise, I got it for free. It is my first video camera and I will be using it to practise video documentation (recording, editing) of my projects and for general use. Video resolution cannot be compared to requirements nowadays - it will serve the purpose well on me for the moment  :)
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/camcorders/support-professional-camcorders/xl1
Timo, OH7HMS

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2490 on: January 13, 2017, 06:18:18 pm »

€8,70 for ten pieces, including shipping. Don't know about quality until they arrive.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/10x-30A-High-Current-M5-4mm-Female-Banana-Jack-Socket-Test-Binding-Post-Welding-Plug-Connector/1955319_32746440982.html

Those look like a reasonably close match to HP/Agilent binding posts at a tiny fraction of OEM cost. Thanks for the link.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2491 on: January 13, 2017, 06:23:18 pm »
€8,70 for ten pieces, including shipping. Don't know about quality until they arrive.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/10x-30A-High-Current-M5-4mm-Female-Banana-Jack-Socket-Test-Binding-Post-Welding-Plug-Connector/1955319_32746440982.html

I hope you'll post your experience with them. From my recollection, they don't have holes in the posts for bare wire, if that's important for your uses, but are otherwise a good alternative to much pricier alternatives.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline cheeseit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2492 on: January 13, 2017, 10:47:58 pm »
20kg of components for €134. 23200 IC's, about 1700 THT and the rest SMD, and 38 x 500 or 1000 pcs. PRC201 series SMD resistors (Philips), 0R33-1M 1218 1W 5%. 7200 pcs. in 133 types from the 74HC series, 6200 pcs. in 127 types from the 74HCT series and 5600 pcs. in 92 types from the HEF4000 series. Also a bunch of tubes of jellybean stuff, tubes of machined sockets and some specialty stuff. All in all 481 different types of IC's, all in labeled tubes. I've only checked a few handfuls, mostly Maxim, on Mouser etc. and some sells for €8-10 a piece in small quantities.
Comes from a telecommunication provider that were once a national monopoly, I'm guessing the R&D department. Mid to late 90's but everything I've checked solders just fine.

Some of it I'll never find a use for but much of it is really useful to have in stock for repairs and prototypes. Besides, I find that checking datasheets for unknown stuff almost always gives you new ideas for things to build or try. :)

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2493 on: January 15, 2017, 12:57:27 pm »
20kg of components for €134. 23200 IC's, about 1700 THT and the rest SMD, and 38 x 500 or 1000 pcs. PRC201 series SMD resistors (Philips), 0R33-1M 1218 1W 5%. 7200 pcs. in 133 types from the 74HC series, 6200 pcs. in 127 types from the 74HCT series and 5600 pcs. in 92 types from the HEF4000 series. Also a bunch of tubes of jellybean stuff, tubes of machined sockets and some specialty stuff. All in all 481 different types of IC's, all in labeled tubes. I've only checked a few handfuls, mostly Maxim, on Mouser etc. and some sells for €8-10 a piece in small quantities.

Comes from a telecommunication provider that were once a national monopoly, I'm guessing the R&D department. Mid to late 90's but everything I've checked solders just fine.

He..He ... Ser dem på BG  ;)
Mon ikke de er fra Sletvej ....

Think they had a big repair shop on Sletvej

/Bingo
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 01:25:48 pm by bingo600 »

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #2494 on: January 15, 2017, 08:08:59 pm »
...it followed me home.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 08:47:29 pm by daqq »
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #2495 on: January 15, 2017, 08:30:56 pm »
...it followed me home.

Yeah, SUUUURE it did.  We all know you were dropping banana plugs behind you and it followed along eating them...  You baited it!!   :P :P

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #2496 on: January 15, 2017, 09:20:50 pm »
...it followed me home.

Very nice, have you had a peak inside yet?
VE7FM

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #2497 on: January 15, 2017, 10:13:38 pm »
Very nice, have you had a peak inside yet?
Nope, I'll first read out the cal memory via GPIB (when I get my hands on an appropriate converter) to back it up - for all I know the calibration RAM battery is near death - I'm a bit scared of getting a rather expensive paperweight. Maybe I won't even open it up. Will see.

So far as I can tell with my limited gear: The (DC) voltage is OK, 2 wire ohms are OK, but 4 wire ohms are giving a significantly different reading then they should be. Maybe it's just some particularly obscure setting, but it shouldn't be. Will investigate.

Anyways, the user interface so far is a pain in the ass, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Yeah, SUUUURE it did.  We all know you were dropping banana plugs behind you and it followed along eating them...  You baited it!!   :P :P
...I confess  :-[
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 10:17:32 pm by daqq »
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #2498 on: January 15, 2017, 10:49:21 pm »
...it followed me home.

Well sure it did - you must have told it you had a nice juicy 2.5V source just waiting for it.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #2499 on: January 16, 2017, 06:31:05 am »
Good buy!
Mine had an active memory error when I bought it (brought the price down to my range) but I was able to get out the cal data with a Prologix and KE5FX's program prior to cracking the case,  then desoldered the nvram,   used a tl866 programmer to suck it out as well.
Put in good sockets, replaced with new re-programmed nvram,  recapped the power supply,  quick general clean and replaced the EMI filter,  as per xdevs.
All went well.
Robert
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf